Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,698 | Reviews: 2,061
2.03/5  rDev -44.7%

I was not impressed by this beer at all. Unfortunately, the beer distributor was closed so I had to go to 7/11. I saw sams octoberfest and decided it was the most appealing beer in the fridge so I thought I would give it a shot.

It smells like a bud light and doesn't taste much different. The taste is flat, bitter, and just does not go down well. It is tasteless to tell the truth. I guess I am becoming a beer snob because this beer is straight up bmc to me now. I had a sierra nevada before this and the SN was leaps and bounds ahead of this. It is just not tasty, it is dry and leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't like this beer and wouldn't buy it again.

2.06/5  rDev -43.9%

SA O-fest is one beer I look forward to every year. This year's version, however, can be charitably described as mediocre. No significant nose,very flat taste and an unusual watery mouthfeel made me sorry I bought a whole case. Very disappointed in what is customarily a dead-on example of a superb beer style. Not this year, however. It will go into the sauerkraut and brats preparations.

2.06/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours transparent copper in color with a modest off-white head. Aroma smells of grassy, slightly skunky hops and some caramel. Tastes much like it smells, but worse. A funky hop stank presents up front, asserting itself through excessive carbonation. The malt aspect tastes less like caramel and more like raw sugar--quite offputting. The finish is a heavy does of wheat must. The sensation is kind of like what I would expect if I buried my head in a box of cheerios and inhaled deeply--less than appetizing. Finally the wheaty vapors subside and the process repeats itself with the next sip (sip being the operative word here).

I'm not confident I would have picked this out as an oktoberfest in a blind tasting, but then again I'm not a big fan of oktoberfests, so maybe I might have. Suffice it to say this brew has next to nothing going for it, coming off more like a beefed up light macrobrew than an homage to German brewing tradition. Not quite as bad as Sam Adam's chocolate bock, but pretty close.

2.12/5  rDev -42.2%

Clear amber body with a thick white head that stayed there for a while.Nice lacing.This is where the beer goes downhill for me.

Malt and thats it.

Malt and more malt and more malt,not much hop flavor.This beer is entirely too sweet.

Watery mouthful and very sweet.

i wouldnt have this beer again and dont reccommend it to anyone.The sweetness killed it for me.

2.15/5  rDev -41.4%

I'll preface my comments by saying I don't consider myself an expert in any kind of specific beer, but I do feel that I'm developing a more "qualified" eval of certain types (probably 'cause I like them the most!) ... and the Oktoberfest is up on the top of those beers I think I know.

The Sam Adams is a totally "un-rememberable" brew. The nose is underwhelming, and the taste and mouth feel don't help the first impressions at all.

I'll not be bringing any of these home...

2.16/5  rDev -41.1%

Dull amber color. Doesn't seem to sparkle like a nice lager should. Slow but steady carbonation. Foamy off-white head did not retain well.
Odd smelling. Fake malt sweetness. Notes of adjuncts (corn) and some godawful spice I can't seem to place.
Taste is equally uninspired. Onslaught of cloying psuedo-malt sweetness. Toffee coated adjuncts. This is what I'd expect Miller's Oktoberfest to taste like. Corn-filled, fake, cheap and abysmal. An ugly blast of grain alcohol seals the finish on this one.
My least favorite o-fest to date. Actually, one of the least favorite beers I have had in a while.

2.18/5  rDev -40.6%

Bottle to pint glass.

A: A half finger of foamy head with average retention, between off-white and light brown in color. The body is clear and a bright, medium value copper. An abundance of fast paced interior bubbles maintain the lingering film. Spare lacing.

S: Aside from toasted grain, there is very little to appreciate on the nose.

T: Almost lacking flavor altogether. Malt sweetness up front with light fruity undertones. The flavor falls off of a cliff mid-palate, likely due to the aggressive carbonation.

M: Medium body. The texture is creamy as the beer passes through your lips, just before the excessive carbonation prickles the tongue. Moderately dry on the finish. This beer becomes mildly cloying towards the bottom of the glass when the liveliness of the carbonation has worn itself out.

D: One of BBC's more uninspired brews. Not enjoyable to drink.

2.2/5  rDev -40.1%

Had on tap numerous times and usually pours 12 oz bottle into pint glass. Going against the tide on this one as there are many Oktoberfests that I hold in such high regard especially the German made ones. Oktoberfests are designed for drinkability and this beer is not even close to that important category. Pours clear dark copper with small off white head. Sweet malty aroma with mild hoppiness. Sweet flavors of toffee, caramel and bread with a slight hop bitterness. Medium body with verage carbonation. Metallic aftertaste which is a turnoff.

2.2/5  rDev -40.1%

App:Perfect apricot and copper color. Head quickly leaves, retention is nothing, lacing is nothing.

Nose: Very faint malt.

Taste: Solid Sam Adams style mouthfeel, coppery and crisp, dry and slightly chemical. Sweet at the end.

Notes: I was excited to get this on tap. I was let down after the first glass. People look forward to this beer. I am interested to see how the rating changes this season.

2.22/5  rDev -39.5%

I am baffled reading the reviews of this one... and wondering if I got an off 6 pack. The beer is great to look at... translucent amber / ruby with a thin, lacy head... but in all other respects was very unimpressive. Somewhat malty in flavor and aroma, with very noticeable medicinal (almost like maraschino cherries) overtones that almost make the beer undrinkable. Some hops bitterness in the finish as well, which is kind of out of character for the style. Pretty thin, with medium to high carbonation. This is one that I have really enjoyed in the past, but if it's supposed to taste the way this 6-er does, I won't be drinking it anymore.

2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

This beers looks great - deep amber hue with a frothy head. The problem I have with it is the cloying sweetness. Hops are barely discernible, it's just an overwhelming toffee like sweetness with a weird apple like aftertaste. Really hard to drink more than one of these.

2.3/5  rDev -37.3%

Pours a darke copper orange with low carbonation and a thin, barely there at all, head. Laces some. The malt smells too toasty for me. Too much of a noble hop presence in the nose as well. Aside from that, has typical malty body of an oktoberfest. Flavors are off and not what I expect when I open a bottle of what I think to be an oktoberfest. It has a malty sweetness, yes, but that is far overdone. Lacks any depth to the malt flavors. Just sweetness. Hop flavors stand out way too much. No clean lager finish. What is this? Syrupy mouthfeel. Carbonation is too prickly. I don't care for this much, but it's not the worst thing I've had.

2.3/5  rDev -37.3%

Poured into a pint glass. Color is a rich orange with very slight head, but many big bubbles coating the inside of the glass. Things die down quickly as it would seem to flatten as I type. Smells slightly sour with faint traces of malt.

Tastes lightly malty and malt-nutty over citrus notes with an almost imperceptible bitter aftertaste. I can really taste the sourness I am smelling, though... almost like milk gone bad. Not appealing at all.

Otherwise, the mouthfeel is light and carbonation is so gentle and rounded that it's watery-smooth. The overall flatness and my urge to pour it down the drain when I whiff it make the drinkability low for me. Maybe I had a bad bottle but man, this would not be my first Oktoberfest choice.

2.3/5  rDev -37.3%

Clear deep orangish amber with a small head that dissipates to nothing. Nutty malty aroma. Thin and unimpressive with a good amount of malt but an awful metallic and bitter aftertaste. Used to be great years ago, good example of what can happen to a good brewery who loses sight of the beer in exchange for expansion and distribution as well as macro marketing.

2.36/5  rDev -35.7%

Since the cold air has arrived early and October is almost halfway through, I figured I'd better get in some seasonal beers. I drank this Octoberfest at the same time as another so I could sample the differences.

Poured from a 16.6 oz bottle. Little head of foam.

Color: deep copper. clear and clean appearance.

Nose: slight floral tones.

Taste: A little nutty with a slight bit of fruit.

Mouthfeel: not a whole lot there. Very smooth and creamy. Nice finish.

Drinkability: Very easy. Seem to me that this could be a session beer (I could be way off). I could have quite a few. There just didn't seem to be all that much there in this beer. I didn't find it very interesting. Drinkable not flavorful.

Reviewed 10/12/2005 (bottle):

Light aroma with straw and a toasted smell, little head which was off-white in color, only slightly fizzy, average density, red hue, not sweet, moderate bitterness, slightly acidic, light to medium body, soft carbonization. In the past with Sam Adams' seasonal beers, it seems they go flat quickly after the start of the season. This was dated good by Feb, but tatsted not as fresh.

2.36/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Deep copper, clear

S - Malty grain smell, burnt toast

T - Caramel Malts - with alcohol coming thru and very little else of substance. Roasted grain feel and little balance or finish

M- creamy and smooth and little carbonation

Not one to go back to despite the fit for the season.

2.38/5  rDev -35.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Adams Boston Lager glass. Taken from Sam Adams's "Harvest Collection" seasonal variety pack.

Appearance: Pours a translucent copper color. Has a large, fizzy head that dissipates quickly down to a small cap that leaves some spotty lacing.

Smell: Has a faint, sweet, malty aroma. Kind of expecting more here.

Taste: Mildly bitter up front with a sweet, malty taste. Finishes bitter with toasted and sweet malts and nutty flavors. A bit cloying in sweetness at the end.

Mouthfeel: Well-carbonated with a medium body to it.

Overall: Definitely not the best O-fest out there and definitely not one of Sam Adams's standouts. It's fine enough in the fall variety pack, but definitely not something I'd seek out on its own.

2.39/5  rDev -34.9%

"octoberfest" renaming the style. 12 oz bottle.

a- copper color. low carbonation. quality clarity.

s- musci aroma. not very pungent.

t- sweet, watery. slight caramel tones. lager yeast flavor. the end of the sip reminds me a lot of Sam's Boston Lager. tastes watered down. slight sulfury character.

m+d - after having some really good oktoberfests this year; this kind of tastes like an oktoberfest brewed for 'very' general appeal. reserved and somewhat tasteless. glad I only bought one.

2.41/5  rDev -34.3%

presentation: on tap

appearance: poured a cherry dark wood color with copper highlights in a pilsner glass. (all beers in the restaurant were poured in pilsners, so i didn't say anything.) head was a good 1" when it arrived at the table. off-white in color, and lasted for a few minutes before dropping to a thin capper. laced surprisingly well.

smell: not much to say here. not very aromatic but smelled sort of metallic much like an american micro lager. there were touches of sweetness and fruit, maybe grapes, but the fruit isn't to style. no hop aroma.

taste: again, not overly impressive. there's still that anoying cheap lager metallic taste. it was hard to get past this. there was a lot of malt character, some spice and just a touch of hop flavors in the finish. some noticible diacetyl flavors, though.

mouthfeel: the best thing about this beer. medium creamy body with just enough carbonation. the swallow was moderately smooth as well.

drinkability: this began more drinkable than it finished. the metallic taste was rough. alcohol didn't hinder, but aftertaste was less than appealing. buttery bitterness made this hard to finish.

overall: to start, this isn't one of my favorite styles. i'd like to review this again from the bottle to see if any of the negatives were from the restaurant or the tap. the buttery and metallic flavors made this hard to tolerate, and they aren't normal for this style. better luck next time.

2.46/5  rDev -33%

I have had a lot of Sam Adams beers over the years, but this is the first one I would call bad.

I had a pint on tap at a local bar.

It looked good reddish brown with good long lasting staying power.

The aroma was as expected, some malt

The taste was thin, not much malt or hop flavor. Just plain bland, as I continued to drink I kept trying to find some distinctive flavors, none there. The finish was not a crisp as I would expect from a quality lager.

I will avoid in the future.

2.46/5  rDev -33%

red-orange color. good clarity. good off-white head. good lacing.

medium malt aroma. clean lager aroma, that is predominant in the bouquet. no hop aroma. very light toasted aroma. subtle caramel/toffee aroma.

taste is initaily slightly sweet. low malt flavor. low hop bitterness. no hop flavor. finish is sweet. balance is toward the malt and the crisp finish overpowers the thin(delicate) flavor of the beer. the taste is pretty non existent on this one, and what flavor there is, is most notable that of adjuncts.

medium mouthfeel. crisp finish.

overall this is not an oktoberfest worth drinking.

2.49/5  rDev -32.2%

I tried this beer at barbecue restaurant in midtown that just put it on draft and was very excited. Unfortunately I was unimpressed. It has a nice dark amber color but the aroma was bland. The taste wasn't bad but it also wasn't special at all or what I was expecting. Therer was no extra matliness or hoppiness. It was as if they took regular Sam Adams and put carmel coloring in it. It's an extremely drinkable beer and it goes down easy. A good everyday beer but definetely not a specialty beer in my opinion.

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

Decided to try this, though I have not been that impressed with Sam Adams lately. And I was once again disappointed. Poured a medium brown, with little head, whatever there was quickly dissipated. Nose was a bit malty, with yeasty notes, but not overpowering or complex. Mouth feel was much thinner than I expected, watery, and relatively tasteless. Finish was somewhat unpleasant, a bit sour. All in all, I would not buy it again.

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

A- brownish red with a finger of foam that remained through out. Good lacing.

S- Sweet, bread-like scent. Touch of autumn spice, cinnamon.

T- Clean beginning which quickly turns into a sugary, yeasty corn finish which lingers like that last drunk that won't leave your house after a party even though it's well past 02:30.

M- body is light and crisp which gives its initially clean encounter.

Not terrible, in fact after my first tasting, I had about 4 more but I'm not really a fan of autumn beers and am thus a bit biased. However, it's pound cake like consistency really left a bad taste in my mouth overall.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)