Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -65.9%

1.25/5  rDev -65.9%

1.28/5  rDev -65.1%

1.44/5  rDev -60.8%

1.48/5  rDev -59.7%

1.49/5  rDev -59.4%

Wow, I am so surprised by this offering from Sam Adams.
Appearence is a nice copper color with a thick cream colored head.
Mouthfeel is very watery.
Aroma is hard to describe because is almost non exsistent.
Taste is the most disapointing. Is mostly water with little carbonation and a God Awful metallic taste that I can't get out of my mouth.
Unfortunatly, I bought a 12 pack of this nasty beer. I am hoping I have a neighbor with no taste to pawn this one off on.

1.5/5  rDev -59.1%

1.5/5  rDev -59.1%

1.58/5  rDev -56.9%

Living in the Pacific NW and in the mood for a seasonal spirit to drink during Monday Night Football after a long day of work on this particularly blustery October night.

Disclaimer, I never buy Sam Adams, been drinking beer for about 6 years I've had and enjoy pretty much everything. The reason is simple. I like to buy local and living in Pac NW, this might as well just be puddle water.

S: Bottled, pour into a glass, no head
A: Beautiful copper tone
S: None, maybe I'm plugged up
Taste: Now here is where I have issue, there is none, a mild malt flavor and where are the spices as advertised?
M: Not creamy, not dry, not anything unfortunately, slightly sweet

Overall: The reason I haven't bought Sam Adams in all my beer drinking years is mostly pride. I think they are trying to mass market a craft product, because you know, all beer makers have a beard and love their job enthusiastically. Let this be another great East coast example of commercialization. I'm sure all you Chowd's over there love drinking this stuff... during the humid summer's maybe. Come on over to Portland and you will learn what craft beer is all about because this is a complete farce.

1.7/5  rDev -53.7%

1.75/5  rDev -52.3%

1.78/5  rDev -51.5%

Dug this out of an icy tub at a party; it was swimming in a sea of Bud and Michelob. Saved! thought I, but... wrong was I. This had all the aromatic charm of a Coors Light, which is to say it smelled like socks, and all the taste of beer made with the finest corn and rice that money can buy, only it doesn't *have* any corn and rice in it. This is about as close to a Marzen as cold oatmeal. Given the options, I may have had better luck with the Michelob. Boo.

1.79/5  rDev -51.2%

Had this on tap at laundry 101 in Kent. Nothing like getting drunk while you wait for your laundry to finish.

Appearence - More yellow than orange when compared to the bottled version. A slight filmy head with little lacing. Appears highly carbonated.

Smell - Nothing worthy or noticeable stands out. Light fruits. Its missing the malts and sweet notes from the bottle variation.

Taste - okay. I was very impressed with this beer when it came out this year, and even titled it as my favorite Sam Adams beer. But this isn't the beer that I love. Must be a funky tap or something because this tastes like fruity champagne that was poisoned with alcohol. No delicious malts. No autumn, leafy breads or grains. Just uncomfortably fruity and fizzy. I call a bad tap here.

Mouth feel and overall - its okay once you get used to it. But this is nothing like what the bottle version I love tastes like. This is low quality, probably due to the locations error on a bad tap and pour. I won't be getting this again, not here anyways.

1.97/5  rDev -46.3%

Lots of blurb, advertising and fanfare; So I bought some to try.
Oh No, what a huge, bitter disappointment - if you can pardon the pun.

A massive foaming head that at one point threatened Mug-Mutiny. But it laced the glass well, and had an inviting look. Aromas are… Where are the aromas?????? Hmmm… (Deep Sniff). Poured a clear looking, deep Amber-Reddish Color, that again, looked very good, no complaints there. Still, No Aroma though (Deeper Sniff) … I’m trying. Initial taste is of a sickly sweetish, bee… nah - fluid. Weird. What the heck is this supposed to be?, its not like any Märzen/Oktoberfest I have had before. I get some hops in the middle but not many, perhaps just one. Where the hell is that Aroma?? (Snorting the Beer now!!) - Nope still can’t find it. Very lightweight mouth feel, that disappears almost instantaneously. Some cloyiness in the residual tastes, more annoying than pleasurable.
Is this an Oktoberfest LITE ???????

My friends in England, would say of this beer that, “It is all mouth, and no trousers”.
Mediocre or, perhaps, I just do not “understand” this beer??!??? I don’t know. But I do know I don't like it.

Promises, but just does not deliver for me. It will NOT be purchased again!!.

1.98/5  rDev -46%

I'm never quite sure what to expect from Samuel Adams anymore. It seems the more popular they get, the lower the quality of their beer gets.

Such is true with this year's edition of the Samuel Adams Oktoberfest. It begins nicely - the look is great. It has an orange lager color with a medium sized head.

There isn't much to smell here. It just sort of smells like a Boston Lager.

The taste is very thin and lacks any festive qualities that make a Marzen different from a straight-ahead American lager. Its very thin and runs off the tongue before I can truly get a flavor on it.

Not impressed....not repeating.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)