1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Reviews: 1914

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,942 | Reviews: 1,914 | Show All Ratings:
SDVargo

4.46/5  rDev +21.5%

Honestly, this beer might be my favorite. However that might be skewed because of it only being a limited availability. It has a great color coupled with a smell that just smells like Sam Adams bottled Fall. The flavors go together nicely and will have you trying to figure out what each one is until you get too inebriated to care. I love this beer. And this year I've tried several other brands of Octoberfest beers and found myself preferring this one over all of the others. All of the taste combined with the price makes the beer a hit.

10-28-2013 13:16:40 | More by SDVargo
jayrod20

4.47/5  rDev +21.8%

This beer is just simply amazing and great after a long day at work. Another great job from the Sam Adams people, this beer certainly lives up to their reputation and can be enjoyed by pretty much anybody. It has a great taste, color & aroma to it and tastes incredible! It's not good after being stored for more than 4 or 5 months. The fresher the better, and always finishes with a refreshing ah!

04-29-2008 23:34:48 | More by jayrod20
7beerphil

Maryland

4.47/5  rDev +21.8%

A: Classic Sam Adams bottle design. Beer pours a deep red/amber color with 1 inch, long lived head

S: Toffee and caramel, rather sweet.

T: Toffee and caramel, strong but not over powering.

M: Smooth and light

D: Very drinkable, not too strong, definately not weak, perfectly balanced beer.

Octoberfest is my favorite Marzen style beer, one of the most enjoyable brews from Sam; of their beers it comes in second only when compared to their Irish Red.

09-21-2008 21:56:49 | More by 7beerphil
Brunite

4.47/5  rDev +21.8%

A - Pours a nice amber/orange, Nice head that disapates to minimal lacing. Looks like Fall in a bottle.

S - Very malty...sweet.,,,some hops noted.

T - Malty. Excellent toffee and caramel notes. Nice balance. Just enough hop bitterness to keep the malts in check. Great solid beer.

M - Slightly creamy...medium body.

O: A nice solid Oktoberfest at a great price. I love this stuff and will miss it when gone.

09-03-2011 02:11:18 | More by Brunite
nickthetick

Maryland

4.47/5  rDev +21.8%

A: pours a clear copper/amber color into a DFH signature glass with a half a finger of tan head that dissipates slowly and leaves no lacing.

S: sweet, light roasted malt, bread, a bit of spice, nutmeg and some citrus.

T: sweet malt is the biggest flavor with some great yeasty notes. Brown sugar and some nice light spices push there way through the huge amount of malt. Dark fruits like figs, dates and plums shine through. Mellow citrus hangs on the back of the tongue.

MF: medium body, slightly chewy, moderate effervescence.

O: a very good marzen beer, in my top three! Beautiful flavors and aromas have mingled to make a beautifully balanced beer.

09-19-2011 16:55:20 | More by nickthetick
Rhf9120

Rhode Island

4.48/5  rDev +22.1%

Another great beer from Sam Adams. There's not much more I can say that already hasn't been said. Great smell and flavor in my opinion exactly what you would expect from a marzen style beer. I'm a big fan of Sam Adams beers and I've always been partial to their Octoberfest.

01-04-2014 23:26:55 | More by Rhf9120
ValpoExpo

4.49/5  rDev +22.3%

I tried some very good fall beers last year, but for some reason I love coming back to the Marzen style Sam Adams Octoberfest. For me it's the quintessential Autumn beer. It pours a deep amber color and possesses a sweet malty finish. A very nice divergence from many of the Highly Hopped IPAs around NE Ohio.

Sam Adams Octoberfest will always remain one of my favorites for the Autumn Season.

06-13-2013 21:28:06 | More by ValpoExpo
Homebrew63

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

A: Pours a deep coppery color

S: Sweet and a hint of spices/pumpkin

T: I liked the taste from the get go. Smooth and flavorful with a hint of carmel and reminds me of thanksgiving.

M: crisp and well balanced for a seasonal brew.

D: Very pleasing and a great seasonal brew! I look forward to this every season and recommend an earlier release than waiting until it is towards it's end of shelf life. But I recommend that on all beers!

I like this better than most seasonal offerings with the exception of Shipyards pumpkin head. enjoy!

02-01-2007 03:10:45 | More by Homebrew63
Jdecarol

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

Nice dark orange color with a good head that dissapears into a very very ring.

Smells great. Sweet, very small amount of hops and slightly alcoholic. The alcohol smell is very good, almost like a fine liquor as it warms. To tell you the truth this might be the best smelling alcohol esters I have ever smelled.

Taste is phenominal. Sweet, bready, caramel goodness with just a touch of hops. Oh and of course the alcohol from the smell loses none of its deliciousness.

08-24-2009 00:08:40 | More by Jdecarol
bolus14

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

This is my first review, and I'm coming from drinking the good 'ol shitty American macro brews!! With that said there is a huge difference in smell, taste, mouth feel, etc.

Smell to me is sweeter (spices) with a hint of bread dough, I assume this is a roasted malt smell.

Taste, well there is a lot more than the macros. Not being able to separate the individual characteristics I would say caramel/tofee malts upfront then a very slight hop bitter.

Mouthfeel is a little "heavier" than the macros but still smooth and easy going down just enough carbonation.

Drinkability, this is the first beer I've had that I can sip, chug, actually enjoy without feeling like I have to force down the last half off the bottle.
Update - After over a year of trying craft and macro micro brews this still remains my favorite. I can drink this after mowing the yard, playing cards, watching football, playing darts, you name it this beer works.

09-21-2009 13:55:30 | More by bolus14
cdrogers

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

Appearance/color: Very deep orange-amber in color, which definitely reminds me of something to drink in the fall.

Smell: Is sweet smelling but not too overpowering.

Taste: It has a good balance of bittering and aroma hops, so I have to say it has a very balanced taste. The caramel definitely comes through in the malt and the head is held nicely with a good pour. Just like most Samuel Adams brews, when the head is nicely formed the aroma shines. Regardless, it's still an excellent taste.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and sweet on the tongue. It reminds me of brown sugar.

Drinkability: Definitely a seasonal beer. The sweetness would be too much to drink regularly.

Final thoughts: Definitely recommend this one to everyone. It's something really special and enjoys a good glass.

09-22-2009 03:15:32 | More by cdrogers
deebo

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

A-Clear amber color with thick white head. Looks like autumn in a bottle.
S-Tons of malted barley-toasted and caramel. Spicy noble hops in there too. I like.
T-Rich malted barley dominates-sweet toasted toffee/caramel. A kiss of hops to break up the malt. Smooth finish.
M-Good body, moderate carbonation gives a little zing.
D-Really high. Have drank the hell out of this beer.
O-One of my favorite Marzens-great malt flavor, well done brew. Probably my favorite beer from SA.

11-16-2011 02:29:38 | More by deebo
Kwak

A good octoberfest.
I had it on tap the glass was a little soapy so their was almost no head.
Good spice aroma, nice body good red brown color.
Excellent flavor with a hint of nutmeg.

Not a fan of Sam Adams but I recommend this one!

11-12-2002 17:48:59 | More by Kwak
veech

Tennessee

4.53/5  rDev +23.4%

I have previously reviewed the bottled version, but just recently tried on draft. I normally don't repeat reviews unless there is a marked difference. I have really enjoyed the bottled over several years, but wow is it superior on tap. The same flavor profile of sweet malted honey is there, just in spades. This stuff honestly rocks. I preferred Paulaner marzen to the bottled Sam Octoberfest, but I just tried them back to back on tap and it's no contest. The SA has better color, aromas, and tons more character and flavor. I'm pretty sure my brother would be open to transfusions of this stuff as he is a full fledged addict. Cheers to Jim Koch for a great batch this Fall.

10-21-2006 14:52:13 | More by veech
Samadamsfan2

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was the beer that made me love Samuel Adams beer, caramel and toffee malt dominate the body, with a little hop aroma. Dark orange color, and very sweet flavor. Probably not the best Octoberfest, however, generally a very good fall beer, and probably Sam Adams' best seasonal beer.

04-05-2011 05:01:31 | More by Samadamsfan2
MikieV

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have only sampled 5 ot 6 Octoberfest style beers, but this was my favorite. I wish they brewed this all year. This was my favorite Samuel Adams beer.

It pours an absolutely beautiful red/amber color with a thick cream color head.

Smells sweet of caramel and malts. No pronounced hops or wheat here.

Flavor follows scent. Somewhat sweet, caramels, malts, very mild hops way back in the background. Not thick, but not thin.

Very easy to drink as a starter for the night or in multiples.

I wish they brewed this one year 'round!

12-23-2011 07:00:35 | More by MikieV
jrb1001

4.55/5  rDev +24%

One of my friends gave me a bottle to try, while we were lounging around in the pool. The beer had a great Octoberfest taste to it and it was an enjoyable beer to drink. I think I will buy it in the future.

The beer was dark brown in color, and was not over carbonated. It smelled and tasted really good. I recommend this beer.

08-21-2006 02:27:01 | More by jrb1001
KodyBrannon

4.55/5  rDev +24%

This beer is a very quality beer from the first sip. It poured an amber color with a decent 2-finger head. The taste was not as hoppy as some other oktoberfests, but still an overall sweet taste to it. This beer is one of the better oktoberfests that I have drank. This is definatly a fine beer and worth drinking over and over agian.

10-04-2007 14:32:05 | More by KodyBrannon
mbrown26

4.55/5  rDev +24%

Went from the bottle into a pub glass. I liked this beer. It was everything an autumn beer should be. I don't think I would consider Sam Adams a craft beer anymore, but I like what they offer.

A: I had this beer a few days ago, but from what I can remember it had a good amber/brown/red color. Head wasn't anything to brag about.

S: Delightful in the nose. Could have smelled this one all day.

T: A great beer with that gave more flavor than alcohol. Definitely a plus for me.

M: Just the right amount of carbonation that makes you give pause to what you are drinking without being overbearing.

D: Easy to drink and quite enjoyable. Got done with one bottle and would easily want a second.

11-01-2010 21:52:08 | More by mbrown26
aseiter

4.55/5  rDev +24%

One of the most anticipated releases annually for me, between the the beer and the weather this combination is not equaled by any other large brewer in America. As usual with SA October has a strong and spiced flavor that stays with your palette til the next gulp. The head doesn't remain as long as I would like but that doesn't mean the flavor disappears with it. Overall a beer that goes with any autumn activity!

10-03-2011 15:02:27 | More by aseiter
jkeeney2010

4.55/5  rDev +24%

Probably my favorite beer unfortunately it's only available in the fall

Have only had this beer out of the bottle but would love to try it on tap which I am going to do this coming fall.

This beer is fall in a glass everything you can ask for in a seasonal beer, Well-bodied and a full flavor that leaves you wanting another sip/taste/bottle.

My favorite Sam Adams beer out of the ones I have tried

04-19-2012 09:49:16 | More by jkeeney2010
knowledge

4.55/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This heavily malted and hoppy elixir pours a golden brown, with an incredible head. The abv content is just right - and in this case, as close to perfection as one would desire. This is definitely a session beer, however, I suspect that you may not repeat the session as once would suffice. Octoberfest beers bring out the best in production, and this one is nothing short of spectacular. With 5 roasted malts in this particular brew, you enjoy every single one of the 165 calories in this bottled beer. A worthy find.

10-11-2012 00:03:02 | More by knowledge
LyonsHead

4.58/5  rDev +24.8%

A: Beautiful copper orange with an orange tinted, creamy, white head

S: Nice malty aroma with toast and biscuit. there is a subtle noble hop aroma which doesn't fit the style; it does, however, work very well with this beer

T: There is a malty sweetness with notes of bread crust, and toasty biscuit. There is a caramel sweetness which again doesn't fit the style, and again I could care less because it works

M: This beer is low in carbonation which helps give it an incredibly smooth and creamy mouthfeel. This beer is chewier than the color suggests it will beer. The beer is sweet throughout with the balance towards the malt but the finish is still pleasantly dry. This has one of the best mouth-feels I have experienced

D: This is a different kind of Oktoberfest. If you're a style Nazi you may not like it, but it really is a tasty beer. One of my all-time favorites and definitely my favorite from Sam Adams

08-20-2009 18:12:01 | More by LyonsHead
wailingwench

New Mexico

4.6/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Eye Candy: Pours a dark garnett red brown color with a thick off-white head. Plenty of lacing,mild carbonation. I believe that SA Oktoberfest is perfect in appearance. Very inviting.

The Nose Knows: The aroma is rich and malty, with distinctive bread notes. Deep and rich roasted malts.

Tongueland: Thick m/f, rich taste, dominated by roasted malts and hints of caramel, with some mild hops thrown in at the finish. An excellent example of the style.

Bender Factor: The only bad thing about SA Oktoberfest is it's availability. I always look forward to three fall things: College Football, pumpkin pie, and SA Oktoberfest.

10-03-2004 18:24:30 | More by wailingwench
dubman003

New Hampshire

4.6/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Drink this beer, drink this beer, drink THIS BEER! If it's on tap, you are skipping everything else on tap, I dont care if the urine of god is on tap, you are drinking this. It is superior, especially this season, try it and love it, you may even send me a message thanking me. Be well.

09-18-2006 05:04:17 | More by dubman003
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)