Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,017 | Hads: 6,804
4.23/5  rDev +15.6%

Dark rich carmel color. Nice off white foamy head. Perfect carbonation. I smell toasted malts and hops. Very good Oktoberfest style beer. No outside annoying flavors.... Just the only ingredients that are supposed to be in beer. And lots of them. I hope to drink a shitload of this type of beer at the Dakota Inn Rathskeller at 6 Mile and John R Tommorrow night. Detroit's last authentic German establishment. Oktoberfest is on and we'll be doing our best Beerfest impressions. Prost! (484 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sam Adams has hit another one out of the park. Octoberfest is truly one of their better beers, if not arguable their best.

I'm not much into cans, I really turn my nose up to them, but when the wife goes out and buys your beer you take what you get and you like it. :) In this case, I got lucky. Out of the can (I can't believe I'm writing that) I found the brew to be absolutely stunning - dark amber colored beer with a lightly tanned head. The head has great staying power with good lacing all the way down the glass. The smell was a roasted or toasted malt - rich, deep, and lightly sweet. I've had other Sam Adams and found them to be to carbonated for my taste, but Octoberfest was just at the right level of carbonation (IMHO). I could taste what I smelled - which is always a plus to me - and there was some distant sweetness to the beer.

My concerns that Sam Adams might be getting to big to really care about quality are totally unfounded - Octoberfest is truly something special. (993 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Ok keep in mind this is coming from a Hop Head/PBR drinker...I know, weird. Also someone who isn't into sweet or malty beers that often.

A: Drank right from the bottle shame on me

S: Smelled of light but sweet caramel malts, toasty malts, not too much to the nose.

T: WOW! I though I wasn't going to like this since I'm an IPA guy but wow! It is a great tasting brew that I wish I had a braught or sausage to go along with right now.

M: Perfect medium carbonation. Goes down smooth.

D: Highly drinkable. I can't wait for a cool autumn Sunday to put a bunch of these back while watching the Dallas Cowboys kick some butt.

Overall very impressive just like The Boston Brew Company always is and never fails me. (714 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Bought this beer as a 6er because I'm on a quest to try as many Sam Adams beers as I can.

I didn't pour it (a no-no I know), but from the bottle it tastes pretty good. Really good in fact. This isn't my favorite beer, but it is a great beer and makes for a great fall/early winter beer.

Overall, I'd recommend at least giving it a try, not necessarily going to be everyone's favorite beer for sure, but at least worth a taste. I enjoyed it, it's a top tier for me. (466 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

The pour into my Mahr's mug raises a creamy, large bubbled, two-finger head that manages to hang around for a while, with some sudsy, but somewhat sticky lacing. The beer's color is a clear orange-copper. The nose is very biscuity, bready, and slightly (noble) hoppy. Very nice, although not pronounced. The taste is quite balanced, with of course a focus on the caramelly breadiness of the malt. There's a hint of bitterness in its lingering finish. I've had more complicated O-fests, but this still does the job here. The mouth is spot-on, with just enough carbonation (smooth, though) to tingle. This is an excellent session beer, and easy to guzzle if necessary. (666 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

I really liked this beer. Very light mouthfeel with a beautiful caramel color. It had a warm feel to it, like a good friend. I would drink a few of these for sure! (163 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Review is for the 2003 season, which I thought was much better than last year's.
The brew pours a dark cinnamon amber, topped with frothy, yet dissipating head. The head never quite disappears, but reduces to a thin layer.
Aroma is very malty, with plenty of caramunich malt, providing a pleasant burnt caramel hint. Very clean. Some smokiness. No hops to mention.
Flavor is thick and malty. Full bodied, with moderate small bubbled carbonation. Clean flavors, no esteriness. No apparent hops. Moderate burnt caramel, with the barest touch of smokiness towards the end. A very thick malty finish. Sweet, thick maltiness in the finish, with a quickly fading malty aftertaste.
A very nice octoberfest. Probably the best version Sam Adams has done yet. (753 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

A--Dark reddish brown in color. Tan head disappears quickly. Transparent.

S--Not a lot on the nose. Trace of malts mostly. Simple and enjoyable.

T--Very malt forward, rich with a caramel taste. A bit of spice at the end that's pretty dang good as well.

M--Medium weight, but drinks almost like a light lager. Goes down pretty easy. Just a bit of carbonation.

O--In my mind this is one of Sam Adams best beers. I look forward to it and I'll certainly have a few more this fall.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Bottle best by January 2015 (564 characters)

Serving: Bottle into pint glass
Looks: Copper color with garnet highlights transparent with a thing bone white head that dissipated into a collar.
Smell: Oranges, Biscuits and Honey.
Taste: Citrus, Apples, Yeast.
Mouthfeel: Crisp and lightly carbonated.
Overall: A good introduction to the style. Perhaps serving with sugar cookies is not the best idea as the combination of the apple/orange juice and cookies took me back to preschool. (438 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance: a dark and clear reddish color

Overall: One of the best fall beers. If not the best. Tastes of caramel, butterscotch, bready and light fruit taste. Malty and a little bitter. Very solid beer. Great! (212 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

This brew pours a brown/orange copper color but can also look ruby red when held up to the light, with a one finger off white head. Moderate lacing remains on the glass until the end and some of the head remains in the form of a collar.

The smell is toasted and sweet malts, rich grains and maybe some spices. There is also a thick caramel malt backbone.

The taste follows the nose with sweet and toasted malts hitting first followed by the taste of grain then some light, spicy hops at the end. There is a strong caramel backbone throughout.

The feel is thick, bready and chewy.

Overall this is a very good beer and a good representation of the Oktoberfest style. This brew is perfect for a cool Autumn day. (717 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +16.4%

Appearance- Beautiful Amber with barely a finger of tan head, barely any lace.

Smell- Malty,malty, malty very little hops smell.

Taste- Malty taste with tiny bit of bittering hops in the backgound, not cloying at all.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and slick mouthfeel, medium carbonation is a good malty finish.

Overall - Nice for this style, I'll probably get again next year. (372 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +16.4%

Went to Philly Beer Fests' Octoberfest last weekend. Out of all of them(Spaten, Paulaner, Otter Creek, Spaten, Hacker, Weyerbacher, etc.), this was the best. I guess particularly, this year's batch. It changes each year.

Robust Malty taste, but not too sweet. Level of carbonation staying power is very nice, for a malty Octoberfest. Nice bite to it. As opposed to a Spaten Octoberfest which is a brew that gets syrupy when room temp.

It's Appearance exactly what you look for in an Octoberfest- a nice dark orange, head lingers for about 10 minutes.

I can drink about 4 or 5, then Im full. This beer is probably close to 250 calories a bottle.

Great with bratwurst dishes in autumn (687 characters)

12 oz. bottle into a pils glass

Pours a clear, deep copper orange with a one and a half inch off-white head which holds up well throughout from lots of carbonation release. It also leaves some nice looking sheets of lacing down the sides of the glass. Can't ask for a better looking beer.

Aroma is nice and toasty with bread and caramel malt. A decent amount of grassy and earthy hop characteristics to round it out.

Taste is bready up front with a bit of a grainy quality, hops come in midway through leaving a grassy and earthy linger. A bit of sweetness comes through in the back. It's probably just something to do with the seasonal nature of it, but I keep wanting to equate the taste with autumn leaves...

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, very nice creamy carbonation. Drinkability is extremely high, this is one I could drink a sixer of in a matter of hours without even trying.

I have no idea why I didn't try this one last year, it's really very good. Probably my favorite beer that I've had from Sam Adams. The relatively low price is nice as well. Will definitely be getting more of this. (1,100 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +16.4%

all im going to say is that this is one of the most enjoyable beers I've ever had. I'm not saying it's the best, it's just so good evey time! So many people that don't try interesting beer love this one too, and that has to count for something.
go get some.
I love fall! (270 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +16.7%

My favorite fall beer! Even though it's not fall yet in Florida, I saw it in the store today and had to pick up a 12 pack for $13.99... here goes the first one:

a- pours a dark brown/gold with a 1/2" head - leaves lacing that falls after a few seconds.

s- not to much here. i get some hints of malts, but nothing stands out.

t- similar to the boston lager, but more on the malty side, but still balanced. The malt flavors really jump out: oak, cream, and spice. While the hops are pretty mild, they are still noticeable and give it a slightly bitter finish, which really smooths the deal out.

m- on the light side, lots of carbonation

d- you can certainly stick with octoberfest for the evening. You're gonna want more than one - no doubt. A great beer to drink on the first cool days of the season (even though that's still months away here in FL. It's currently 90 degrees)

an additional note- ive got to say this first beer isnt as good as i remember it being in years past. It seems much lighter, almost that watered down feel. This could be due to two things- first i had really high expectations for this beer, as i enjoy it so much every fall, and second, as the flavors, feel, and "mood" of this beer are geared towards cooler weather, I think that cool days are an essential element for enjoying it the way it was intended to be enjoyed. (1,353 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +16.7%

2008 brew on-tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: reddish copper, good head, moderate lace

Smell: caramel, malts, brown sugar

Taste/Mouthfeel: caramel, malt, low hops, sweet

This is an excellent Oktoberfest lager. Well lagered and on point with Sam Adams quality. (263 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured into a tasting glass... It has a very nice reddish brown coloration. The nose is spicy maltiness, with slight hops in the background. The taste is a very balanced tasty fall mix. The mouthfeel is the right amount af carbonation and slightly viscious. This is a pretty drinkable beer and I will drink more than a few this October. (336 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +16.7%

Another great style mastered by the Boston Beer Company. Pour was nice orange and amber hue. Very copper to strong orange when back lit. Nice white head that dimished rather quickly. Minor lacing of the pint glass. Smelled sweet like molasas and caramel cream candy. Lots of malt character present in this brew. Starts out with the sweet malt flavor that rolls smoothly across the tongue just like an Oktoberfest should. Nice smooth finish has a rather big chewy kind of falvor to it. Very drinkable and I enjoyed this beer to the last drop. (541 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +16.7%

Nice orangish brown color with a creamy white head. Smell is sweet like carmel. I can also detect smells of bread. The taste is of sweet carmel malt with a little bit of spice and orange peel. Nicely carbonated and would make a great session beer as the weather cools just a bit. Good effort by Boston Beer Company. (315 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +16.7%

I was very surprised by this one. I really am not the biggest fan of Sam Adams beers, they tend to really never impress me until today.
WOW, this one is by far one of my favorite beers after having tasted it. NIce floural hops and good amber color, this one may be me new Octoberfest o' choice. (294 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +16.7%

It poured clear copper hue with a two finger head that had some nice lacing. No activity could be seen.

It had a nice malt and hops scent. Balanced and mild.

It had a very robust and well balanced taste of malt and hops. It was smooth and medium bodied with a nice clean malt finish.

Very drinkable. I rather enjoyed this beer. (330 characters)

2008 Release -

Pours a beautifully clear, deep, bright amber color with a thick, frothy, beige head that retains magnificently. Nice lacing to boot. Smells of malts, grains, caramel, noble hop spiciness. Taste is of doughy malts, caramel, noble hops, earthy, delectable! Mouthfeel is medium bodied, creamy, perfect carbonation, and crisp finish. Ridiculously drinkable. The best Octoberfest I have had so far this year and the best Octoberfest release I have had from Samuel Adams yet as well. Either they tweaked the recipe and it is that much better this year or I just dont remember it being this damn good. Fine beer. (623 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +16.9%

A- Very dark amber, Short lasting head, little to no lacing
S- Little berry almost wine like aroma
T- Slightly sweet, notes of caramel, good malt flavor towards end
M- Light almost dry, Slight bitterness. Very pleasant over all
D- Not too heavy or filling and at 5.4% ABV not too over powering

In all very good example of this style, I find myself looking forward too it's release each year. (398 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours a redish/orange brown with a white head. The smell is mostly of malt with some caramel notes. The flavor is rich and bold and is of mostly malt, no hops to really be found which is a contrast to most Sam Adams beers. It has a great balance of flavor and carbonation. The mouthfeel is good, very smooth, a medium body but the beer has a thick flavor. This beer has a long, lingering aftertaste that some sweet notes that just add to the character. I could drink these all year round. One of my favorite beers, a great flavor, a beer that always delivers. Cheers! (567 characters)

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)