Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,015 | Hads: 6,796
4.27/5  rDev +16.7%

2008 brew on-tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: reddish copper, good head, moderate lace

Smell: caramel, malts, brown sugar

Taste/Mouthfeel: caramel, malt, low hops, sweet

This is an excellent Oktoberfest lager. Well lagered and on point with Sam Adams quality. (263 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured into a tasting glass... It has a very nice reddish brown coloration. The nose is spicy maltiness, with slight hops in the background. The taste is a very balanced tasty fall mix. The mouthfeel is the right amount af carbonation and slightly viscious. This is a pretty drinkable beer and I will drink more than a few this October. (336 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +16.7%

Another great style mastered by the Boston Beer Company. Pour was nice orange and amber hue. Very copper to strong orange when back lit. Nice white head that dimished rather quickly. Minor lacing of the pint glass. Smelled sweet like molasas and caramel cream candy. Lots of malt character present in this brew. Starts out with the sweet malt flavor that rolls smoothly across the tongue just like an Oktoberfest should. Nice smooth finish has a rather big chewy kind of falvor to it. Very drinkable and I enjoyed this beer to the last drop. (541 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +16.7%

Nice orangish brown color with a creamy white head. Smell is sweet like carmel. I can also detect smells of bread. The taste is of sweet carmel malt with a little bit of spice and orange peel. Nicely carbonated and would make a great session beer as the weather cools just a bit. Good effort by Boston Beer Company. (315 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +16.7%

I was very surprised by this one. I really am not the biggest fan of Sam Adams beers, they tend to really never impress me until today.
WOW, this one is by far one of my favorite beers after having tasted it. NIce floural hops and good amber color, this one may be me new Octoberfest o' choice. (294 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +16.7%

It poured clear copper hue with a two finger head that had some nice lacing. No activity could be seen.

It had a nice malt and hops scent. Balanced and mild.

It had a very robust and well balanced taste of malt and hops. It was smooth and medium bodied with a nice clean malt finish.

Very drinkable. I rather enjoyed this beer. (330 characters)

2008 Release -

Pours a beautifully clear, deep, bright amber color with a thick, frothy, beige head that retains magnificently. Nice lacing to boot. Smells of malts, grains, caramel, noble hop spiciness. Taste is of doughy malts, caramel, noble hops, earthy, delectable! Mouthfeel is medium bodied, creamy, perfect carbonation, and crisp finish. Ridiculously drinkable. The best Octoberfest I have had so far this year and the best Octoberfest release I have had from Samuel Adams yet as well. Either they tweaked the recipe and it is that much better this year or I just dont remember it being this damn good. Fine beer. (623 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +16.9%

A- Very dark amber, Short lasting head, little to no lacing
S- Little berry almost wine like aroma
T- Slightly sweet, notes of caramel, good malt flavor towards end
M- Light almost dry, Slight bitterness. Very pleasant over all
D- Not too heavy or filling and at 5.4% ABV not too over powering

In all very good example of this style, I find myself looking forward too it's release each year. (398 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours a redish/orange brown with a white head. The smell is mostly of malt with some caramel notes. The flavor is rich and bold and is of mostly malt, no hops to really be found which is a contrast to most Sam Adams beers. It has a great balance of flavor and carbonation. The mouthfeel is good, very smooth, a medium body but the beer has a thick flavor. This beer has a long, lingering aftertaste that some sweet notes that just add to the character. I could drink these all year round. One of my favorite beers, a great flavor, a beer that always delivers. Cheers! (567 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +16.9%

Always a favorite of mine pours dark copper color with hints of caramel..Head lasts for a little not too long.. Nice body a little heavier than some Oktoberfest beers I have had..Does leave slight not overbearing aftertaste.. This is one of my favorite seasonal beers.. (269 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +16.9%

I bought the 22oz bottle almost everyday for the past two weeks. Its been a few years since I had a SA Octoberfest and I was very pleased with it. The color looked great the pour left a nice foamy head. My first taste and I can notice the malt right away. A hint of sweetness. After each sip I wanted more. Next stop I have to try it on tap.

I was very impressed with beer. (375 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +16.9%

On tap at a local Texas Roadhouse. I always have one of these when it shows up around here. Nice amber color with a half inch creamy head. Glass must have been clean since it stayed around quite awhile. Nice malt flavor with very low bitterness. Not so heavy. Could drink quite a few of these to celebrate the upcoming fall. (324 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I enjoy this American twist of an Ofest lager.
Brillantly clear copper in color with a decent head that doesn't stick around for ever.
Nice brew day malty aroma as I enjoy in a true amber, marzen or alt.
Tastes as it smells with a nice medium caramel malt and toasty biscuit flavor.
Mouthfeel is medium light and clean, appropriate to style but I prefer a tad more body.

A go to easy to get Marzen IMHO. I look fwd to this one every year :) (441 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Good Marzen! Kinda thick/chewy on the palate, but that's more interesting than bad. perfectly carbonated.
Rich, wheaty golden color, 2 to 3 finger head, no lace. head has a nice, gold tinged off white color.
the brew has a slightly sweet, heavily breaded taste. Some very mild, unidentifiable non-citrus fruit. maybe apricots or plumbs. mild spicing, fall spices. nutmeg? clove?
reminds me of fresh biscuits!
smell is a nice, sweet, very hoppy, inviting beer.
leaves a slightly 'off' aftertaste, nothing bad or off-putting, but just.. musky? don't exactly know how to describe it. nothing down-turning though!
in my opinion, best served very chilled.
I'd buy again! great presentation, great pour, great drink, okay/ good finish. (734 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice golden color, smooth and easy to drink, and soft sweet taste. Best part was the smile it put on my face when I saw it in the store and started thinking how much I enjoyed it last year. (190 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +17.5%

Wonderful orange color, light carbonation, decent tan head with noticeable lacing. Rich caramel malt in the nose with a hint of SA's trademark hops. Nice moderate mouthfeel, gentle carbonation, with a rich caramel malt on the tongue. A touch of bitterness adds to the drinkability. It feels and smells as if it would be sweeter, but it is not. It's very refreshing. A touch of alcohol as it warms in the glass, but almost imperceptible. Does not detract from the great taste. (475 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +17.5%

Fan-fucking-tastic!! I basically love any Sam ADams beer that is out there,so my review will always be scored high.
Pours a lovely amber color, with a white head that doesnt stay long. Aroma of caramel and sweet malt. Has a tatse of spices and caramel that makes you want another one right away. Goes down smooth. Thank you Jim Koch!! Fall is my favorite, the best beers come out at this time. (393 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +17.5%

This is not your typical Oktoberfest. The first and last thing I notice here is the hops. And do I love hops. This one really hits the spot. The 12oz bottles just aren't enough. I have to get the big glass and do two at a time with this one. the beer finishes clean with a distinct hop after flavor that is the ugh factor that is often associated with to many micro-brews. I look forward to this one every year. But I usually wait till my "real" German Oktoberfest run out. This can't compete in the European market I am sure - but as far as American Oktoberfest beers goes. I would have to rank this as a second place contender ender after St. Arnold's Oktoberfest. (666 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +17.5%

Octoberfest is very delicious. I taste its original lager taste mixed with small amounts of fall spices. Very easy to drink if your a lager or ale drinker like myself. i wouldn't expect anything less from Sam Adams their beers are always brewed i think the best on average (272 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +17.5%

The pour was of an orange amber hue. The appearance is one of golden orange with a touch of maroonish haze color. The smell was rich with spice and wheat with a strong undertone of herbs. The taste and mouthfeel where both very, very nice. Filled with flavor with no hint of bitterness. My overall impression was excellent. Go buy some!. (337 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured into a pilsener glass with 1/2 inch of barely off-white head. The beer is vibrant amber/orange, the epitome of autumn.

Aroma is rich and malty. Bread crust, toast, caramel, and even some light toffee. A little bit of spicy German noble hops also peek through.

The taste follows the aroma with bready, toasty and caramelly flavors. It's perfectly balanced and the malt flavors are really nice, rich, and complex. Hops are present with a light spiciness.

Medium in body with a smooth mouthfeel and crisp, mildly sweet finish.

I may have a little bias on this one as it's the beer that originally got me interested in craft beers and brewing. It's one of my favorites to have around in the fall and a great one to have while watching football. An all around fantastic beer. (781 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tall belgian glass.

Appearance- Beer pours a slightly hazy amber orange with a good 3 finger high head of foam on the top. Quickly collapses to strange oil slicklike splotches on the top of the beer. Lacing clings to the glass.

Smell- Rich carmelly malts and a good hop presence, a hint of clove as well in the aroma.

Taste- Rich maltiness and hop character all thru this beer. Very nice taste. As it warms there is more amber/vienna malt character that seeps thru and sweetness kicks in.

Mouthfeel- Thick and coating and yet the beer itself is light-medium bodied. Hops coat the palate and there is even carbonation in the beer. A slight astringency adds a slight drying finish.

Drinkability- This beer has a high drinkability and could be an easy drinker for all day, especially in the fall when the beer is geared towards. Brisk weather and this beer are an excellent pairing. Now to find some wurst! (939 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +17.5%

I poured this from a 12 ounce bottle into a mug. It is a nice copper color with a good thick white head and nice lacing.

It smells good and malty.

This is what I believe an Oktoberfest beer should taste like. It has a great balance of bready malt taste with the right amount of spicy hops.

I like the mouthfeel, and it is very drinkable. This is a great beer. (362 characters)

12oz to standard pint, pours an orange amber shade, cream colored head fades

smells of malts, slight hops, biscuit/caramel

tastes of roasty malts, true to style, biscuit caramel malts, highly drinkable, creamy, good choice of hops

mouthfeel is creamy, smooth, loads of flavor, very sessionable

great balance and one of the best easy to find oktoberfests! (358 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +17.5%

A tasty Oktoberfest, this is one of my favorites from Sam Adams. This dark orange, almost copper-colored creation pours a nice, if typically brief Sam Adams head, and has a good aroma that is at once fruity and somewhat spicy. The taste is impressive, rather sweet with citrus and a bit of caramel but also with a slight bite. The texture is a touch syrupy, but not too overbearing, and nothing that would keep me from grabbing a couple more afterward.

A fine beverage, one that always reminds me of playoff baseball watching my beloved Yankees. Well worth buying a six or a twelve-pack. (588 characters)

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)