Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,054 | Hads: 6,984
4.21/5  rDev +15%

My personal favorite beer. Wonderfully balanced warm aroma that gently whiffs of the hop character. Beautiful slightly browned head, and a lovely amber color. The warmth of the malt followed by a smoothly bitter hop bite comes on nicely, and leaves only a slight aftertaste making you want more. Not too heavy, but definitely nowhere near what you'd call light. Perfect compliment to a meal, or to be consumed on it's own.

22oz bomber into mug

App: Dark amber with a fluffy white head. Perfect clarity. Everything I look for in a marzen

Smell: Sweet caramel malt dominates. A slight floral/herbal hop scent rides below. Almost smells like a bock/doppel. A bit heavy in the caramel scent. Too thick without any lager crispness.

Taste: Greeted by a rush of carbonation which leads to a light, crisp malt profile. Taste like typical german caramel malt; that almost sour flavor. Ends with a perfect husky dryness that is almost equally matched by an earthy hop bitterness. The huskiness truly reminds one of fall and dry, autumn leaves

Medium body that ends superbly crisp. Solid carbonation. Slight film from the husky malt.

4.22/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearnce: Nice head, decent retention.

Smell: Nice fruity almost pumpkinish with caramel malts coming across on the nose.

Taste: Pale and caramel malts come through. Sweet with a mild hop bitterness. Nice and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, could be a little crisper, but it goes down really easily. Sessionable beer.

4.22/5  rDev +15.3%

A: This beer pours a reddish/copper color with a 1-inch soapy white head that dissipates quickly, leaving some nice bubbles at the top.

S: Nice rich roasted malts, some hops and a bit of caramel makes up the smell.

T: A lot like the smell, get some roasted malts up front and some caramel sweetness. The back end gives off a yeast or bread type flavor with a little bit of dryness on the aftertaste.

M: light carbonation, medium body and lots of simple flavor that makes this beer very drinkable.

O: Always a fan of Octoberfest, a little early in the release by Sam Adams, but the Summer collection has been getting a little old for me. Very enjoyable beer and I will be getting a lot more!

4.22/5  rDev +15.3%

I was very impressed. IMHO this is one of Boston Breweries most sessionable easy drinking beers. It is smooth creamy and sweet. A friend of mine who is not a big beer drinker (much-less craft beer), fell in love with this and now she is becoming an enlighten convert. Point is; this is a very inoffensive, easily approachable beer that (I believe) will satisfy most palates to an acceptable degree, making this a perfect choice for taking to parties with macro-drinking friends. On to the break down:

Appearance: Pours a coppery amber with a slightly golden orange hue to it. Magnificent head.

Smell: Full, thick, malty sweet aroma. Strong suggestions of caramel and subtle hints of fruits. There is something else in the aroma that I think smells like pumpkin.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Extremely foamy, thick sweet malty feeling and tasting. Very nice and easy drinking. It is not too sweet but plenty sweet enough. There are also a hand full of spices, not the most complex Octoberfest I’ve ever had but this is certainly an easy drinking one!

Drinkability: This is a particularly easy drinking beer. I highly recommend taking it to social events during its fall season.

Hope this is helpful.

4.22/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours amber color with 1 finger width head, good lacing down the glass
S: Sweet and malty. Caramel and nutty scents in there
T: Big toffee/caramel sweetness. Slight hoppiness toward the end
M: Light to medium bodied, goes down very easy
D: This is an extremely drinkable/sessionable beer for me, one of my favorites from Samuel Adams.

4.22/5  rDev +15.3%

It's got a nice orange color and it has a bit of a pumpkin scent to it. I think it was supposed to taste like Pumpkin but I could not taste it. It tasted a lot like the Samuel Adams Brown Ale which I also love. It's a great beer overall just not what I was picturing.

4.22/5  rDev +15.3%

Ultra fresh bottle. Poured a deep clear copper with carbonation bubbles galore. The impressive rocky white head settles down fairly quickly to a thin white layer.

The aroma is all malt. Sweet caramel and hints of bread go around. Very nice.

The taste is full of sweet malt. I am reminded of caramel and tofee. There is also a great toasted flavor which are followed by just the slightest suggestion of noble hops. It finishes clean.

This brew is nice and creamy on the palate. It is ultra smooth and very easy drinking.

Kudos to the folks at the Boston Beer company. This beer was excellent this year, the best I can remember. I must say that this is my favorite beer in their lineup. I hope it is this good again next year. This goes to show that a mass produced beer doesn't have to be bad. Give me this one any time!

4.22/5  rDev +15.3%

One of the Sam standards, yet only issued in the fall. I can drink this any day, all day. It has quite a lot of body, yet is not as filling as some and there's certainly no "bite" to the taste. A fresh 'fest will give you a nice creamy head that should last through most or all of the drink, depending on your thirst. I recommend everyone pick up a few 12-packs yearly.

If you're trying to convert a friend away from standard US domestics, this isn't a stretch. Have them try a few. If we all band together, we can stamp out Miller Lite forever!

4.22/5  rDev +15.3%

Ive been drining this beer every fall for several years now, and just realized to my surprise that I havent rated it yet.

It pours a nice amber hue with a good amount of khaki colored head retention. The smell is outstanding, very malty and reminiscent of autumn.

I love the flavor of this octoberfest, its very flavorful without being too sweet or syrupy.

The mouthfeel and carbonation are also excellent, as is common in most sam adams ales.

This is definitely one of my favorite Octoberfest beers right here.

From notes
On tap at the Barley House

(A)- Pours a clear dark caramel colored amber. A good eggshell colored head with good retention and lots of lacing.

(S)- A light, yet rich malt profile with a very subtle sweetness.

(T)- Same as the smell; rustic-like nuttiness in there too.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Rich and a good malt profile, yet light and crisp too.

(D)- One of my favorite Oktoberfests, despite me not being a huge fan of Sam Adams; this is the only one I get each year. This years is rather good.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fall just isn't the same without this beer.

There's nothing overpowering about Octoberfest -- it's just nice, smooth and malty. It pours out a beautiful dark amber, and while it doesn't have a very strong bouquet its overall flavor is rewarding. It's perfect for the season, and I try to catch it on tap and in bottles every fall.

4.23/5  rDev +15.6%

Part of the 2012 harvest pack, poured into a sam adams pint glass.

Appearence is copper/orange in color with a white head. Really does look like fall in a glass.

Smell is roasted malts,caramel and some hops.

Taste is pretty much how it smells. Caramel, toffee, and malts. Very pleasent.

Mouthfeel is very clean and easy to drink.Would have no problem putting down a few of these.

Overall, i really like this beer.It's a great American representation of the marzen style. I will definately be buying again.

4.23/5  rDev +15.6%

Sam Adams Octoberfest is second only to the Winter Lager as my favorite Sam seasonal offering. Best enjoyed on a chilly October or November day, Sam Adams Octoberfest's dark, amber hue and spicy aroma is a true sign that fall is here.

If your palette picks up the caramel, nutmeg and cinnamon notes, this can be a very complex, enjoyable beer. Mouth feel is chewy and hearty, yet surprisingly drinkable for a beer of it's weight.

I recommend Sam Adams fall seasonal to anyone, as it is one of the better Octoberfests I've had the pleasure of enjoying.

4.23/5  rDev +15.6%

With all the "Oktoberfests" on the market today, it is nice to see one that sticks to the Maerzen roots.

This bier is spot on for style and one I enjoy immensly. Deep amber color, caramel malt flavor with just a hint of hop balance. Sweet but not cloying. Smooth. This bier is so drinkable that you'll wonder why your glass is always empty.

Not heavily carbonated or a lot of head, but that is the style.

Have some frinds over, break out the Masskrug and start singing German songs.

"Ein Prosit..."

4.23/5  rDev +15.6%

Appearance: Clean amber and caramel. Small fine head when poured. Carbonation continually comes up from the bottom.

Smell: Pleasant Malts and yeast. Some interesting tea or hay notes that are mellow and pleasant. A little sweetness from the hops with a back note of citrus.

Taste: Hazelnuts, and toffee. A very pleasant complexion that evolves nicely.

Mouthfeel: Light and pleasant. Not too viscous. Matches the taste perfectly and facilitates the evolution of the beer across the palate.

Overall: A great american Marzen style. The malt is very well done and stands out pleasantly. Some of the german examples have a little more citrus and hops but a great take on the style. A great beer.

Serving type: Bottle poured into Sam Adams Boston Lager curved glass.

4.23/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I've been waiting for this since last year, and it didn't disappoint! At the price, you can't beat it. Rich copper color, carmel taste, fantastic Oktoberfest.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Octoberfest poured a dark amber color, with a nice sized head, that lasted for a while. There was a bit of a sweet smell, good amounts of malts. It tasted very malty, a little bit sweet, with some earthy flavors, overall the flavors were strong. The tasted last for a while, good carbination, and it wasnt too hard to drink, my dad would even have one. Overall a really good beer, one that I look forward for.

4.23/5  rDev +15.6%

Dark rich carmel color. Nice off white foamy head. Perfect carbonation. I smell toasted malts and hops. Very good Oktoberfest style beer. No outside annoying flavors.... Just the only ingredients that are supposed to be in beer. And lots of them. I hope to drink a shitload of this type of beer at the Dakota Inn Rathskeller at 6 Mile and John R Tommorrow night. Detroit's last authentic German establishment. Oktoberfest is on and we'll be doing our best Beerfest impressions. Prost!

4.24/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sam Adams has hit another one out of the park. Octoberfest is truly one of their better beers, if not arguable their best.

I'm not much into cans, I really turn my nose up to them, but when the wife goes out and buys your beer you take what you get and you like it. :) In this case, I got lucky. Out of the can (I can't believe I'm writing that) I found the brew to be absolutely stunning - dark amber colored beer with a lightly tanned head. The head has great staying power with good lacing all the way down the glass. The smell was a roasted or toasted malt - rich, deep, and lightly sweet. I've had other Sam Adams and found them to be to carbonated for my taste, but Octoberfest was just at the right level of carbonation (IMHO). I could taste what I smelled - which is always a plus to me - and there was some distant sweetness to the beer.

My concerns that Sam Adams might be getting to big to really care about quality are totally unfounded - Octoberfest is truly something special.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Ok keep in mind this is coming from a Hop Head/PBR drinker...I know, weird. Also someone who isn't into sweet or malty beers that often.

A: Drank right from the bottle shame on me

S: Smelled of light but sweet caramel malts, toasty malts, not too much to the nose.

T: WOW! I though I wasn't going to like this since I'm an IPA guy but wow! It is a great tasting brew that I wish I had a braught or sausage to go along with right now.

M: Perfect medium carbonation. Goes down smooth.

D: Highly drinkable. I can't wait for a cool autumn Sunday to put a bunch of these back while watching the Dallas Cowboys kick some butt.

Overall very impressive just like The Boston Brew Company always is and never fails me.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

My favorite offering from Sam Adams. Pours a dark amber with a nice thick white foam head. Smell is sweet malts, bready with lite spice's. Taste is the same as the nose with the sweet malts quickly overtaken by a nice bready taste that lingers in the nose long after the swallow. Medium bodied brew with light carbonation. Fall weather,football,leaves falling and Sam Adams Oktoberfest!! Life is good.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Bought this beer as a 6er because I'm on a quest to try as many Sam Adams beers as I can.

I didn't pour it (a no-no I know), but from the bottle it tastes pretty good. Really good in fact. This isn't my favorite beer, but it is a great beer and makes for a great fall/early winter beer.

Overall, I'd recommend at least giving it a try, not necessarily going to be everyone's favorite beer for sure, but at least worth a taste. I enjoyed it, it's a top tier for me.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

The pour into my Mahr's mug raises a creamy, large bubbled, two-finger head that manages to hang around for a while, with some sudsy, but somewhat sticky lacing. The beer's color is a clear orange-copper. The nose is very biscuity, bready, and slightly (noble) hoppy. Very nice, although not pronounced. The taste is quite balanced, with of course a focus on the caramelly breadiness of the malt. There's a hint of bitterness in its lingering finish. I've had more complicated O-fests, but this still does the job here. The mouth is spot-on, with just enough carbonation (smooth, though) to tingle. This is an excellent session beer, and easy to guzzle if necessary.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

I really liked this beer. Very light mouthfeel with a beautiful caramel color. It had a warm feel to it, like a good friend. I would drink a few of these for sure!

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)