Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,000 | Hads: 6,718
4.33/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I haven't had many lagers so I dont know what to compare it too, but I can say it is one of the few I like. It's a very very malty brew - a lot of people say they like it at barbeques and whatnot, but I actually like it when I'm drinking at home watching tv or playing games. (275 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

Nice caramel color and not much head. The smell was just overall pleasant. The taste was surprisingly good for what I call a main stream beer.

Yet another beer that I would enjoy drinking with friends at a bar and, or at a get together. Maybe at a poker game also. (266 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +18.6%

A- Such a great look. Filtered with that light amber Oktoberfest look.

S- To me it has this wonderful toasty smell. it makes me think of fall every time i smell it.

T- not your typical Oktoberfest taste. has a deeper and more drinkable taste.

M- I find this beer to be almost a perfect blend of carbonation. it makes your mouth want more after you swallow it.

D- I could drink this beer year round if i could. Seasonal or not, This beer would be highly drinkable. (470 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +18.9%

A > Really nice Amber with some lighter orange i swear. Nice stubby head cream colored

S> Not a heck of a smell until to put it in your mouth

T > Very nice taste lots of fall flavor. Light notes of cinnamon some citric..but those are really light

M > Awesome clean drink slight linger but doesnt foul like some other Sam does

O > Awesome beer, easy drinking and great flavor. I look forward to it every year. The only Sam i really like. (455 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +18.9%

Tried this on-tap tonight at Doc's here in Austin.

I have had this beer many times before in the bottle; and, while it is very good out of a bottle, it's even better on tap. I realize that's nothing new for a lot of beers, but the big difference between the bottle and on-tap for this brew was the mouthfeel. Out of the bottle, it sometimes tastes a bit thin. On-tap, this brew is absolutely perfect as it's substantial, but not overdone. Awesome blend of sweet malty flavors perfectly balanced by just a kiss of hops. A must have on-tap for anybody who likes (or thinks they might like) an O-Fest brew. (604 characters)

12oz bottle into my excuse for a stein. Best by Feb 2009, so this is fresh

A: Copper colored pour with a massive two-finger thick beige head. Tons of visible carbonation

S: Bready and mildly spicy with a hint of hops; mildly citrus like. Solid!

T: Starts off rich and malty with wonderful caramel sweetness to go with the bready character. There's a hint of a pepper-like spice that, while uncommon for style, works really well here. The finish is dry and very tasty

M: Light -to- medium in body with excellent carbonation and a great finish, this one's great

D: This is definitely one of my favorites. Well done, Jim Koch! (628 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured from a Bottle a 1/2 Inch head that goes to a small head quickly. Nice Copper color. Smells of Bread and malts and a little caramel sweetness.
Taste is wonderful flavor of Bread Malt and Nuts. A Very refreshing taste that calls for more!It is very nice in your mouth kind of creamy a little sweet with a nice Hop Balance.
This one is a Home Run October beer really Good I shall remember this one each October to revisit.
This is a Very Drinkable Beer.

Beer its Not Just A Beverage Beer is Food (501 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +18.9%

Had this beer many times, thought I'd review it.

Pours into a pint glass with a rich smell of caramel, malts, hops, very light roasts, tiny bit of fruit. Forms into a dark copper/burnt-orange color and poured with a full head.

I can definitely taste more malts than hops, the sweetness isn't that disrupting, but it makes it's presence. A little nutty flavor added to the finish, goes down smooth. I'm not surprised by the high alcohol content than that of Sam Adams Boston Lager, comparatively, but it definitely is full bodied and very flavorful. It's a very drinkable beer, contributed by the character malts - almost like a glaze to the beer. (649 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This was the second octoberfest beer I have had the pleasure of tasting this season.

Pours into a dark amber color and has a nice head that leaves no lace down the sides of the glass. Has a malty, toffee smell. Goes down very smooth and you can taste the malt and toffee tones. Is a excellent beer to drink on a hot day. Drinkability is awesome and it is easy to drink 4-5 of these at a sitting.

Would highly recommend this beer to anyone. Is not available for very long and is often hard to find. Stock up when you can. (523 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +19.4%

Underrated, as all Sam Adams beers are on BA, success breeds contempt. Deep, copper/orange, thick head which dissipated too quickly, had to ding it for that, malty, malty, malty, light on the hops, but just enough to keep the sweetness at bay,once again SA succeeds in creating great beer when a taste that is accessible to many, not by compromising, but with SUBTLETY, remember that word? smooth, full mouthfeel, beautiful lacing as I finished. A sweeter, less hopped Boston lager if I may simplify. A winner. (510 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +19.4%

poured into a standard pint glass...

appears ruby red..nice cream colored head, good lacing..

smell is quite nice..malty, sweet,bready.subtle hop aroma...very appealing..

taste is..sweet..malty sweet..gentle hop flavor..slight bitter finish..smooth(hey it is a lager)

mouthfeel is great..smooth like the style..light to medium body..very appealing and drinkable..

I must admit..I am biased to this particular brew..it has been one of my favorites for many years..I have had alot of martzens..this is one of my favorite.. (525 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a big glass mug. The liquid is a dark amber orange. The head is big 3 fingers and rocky. Fades slow leaving a nice lace.
The smell is toasty Carmel malt.

The taste follows, Very good slightly sweet and toasty.

The mouthfeel is good better then medium body and great carbonation quite refreshing.

The drinkability is top of the line a great drinking style done to perfection. Prosit, MK (425 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +19.7%

Served on Tap at most establishments in town this time of year.

Appearance: Pours a coppery-orange with little head. Head dissipates quickly into a very thin lacing.

Smell: A slight hint of caramel and a tiny bit of spice. Not a very fragrant brew.

Taste: very malty and a tad sweet. Sometimes i swear i can taste pumpkin spice.

Mouthfeel: very smooth with a medium-body. Doesn't leave a residue in your mouth once consumed.

Drinkability: Most of Sam Adams is over-rated in my opinion. In a city of excellent German-style Märzen, SA Octoberfest is still possibly my favorite. Great if you're in the mood to taste 1 beer, and also excellent if you're looking to toss several back.

Serving type: Pint Glass (713 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a brew I really look forward to enjoying while it's in season. though I have tasted this product in years preceding, this years (2009) variation is especially excellent!
Beautiful and abundant creamy malts brimming with hints of marshmallow and nougat and a touch of hop character to keep it honest. Deep amber in color and always rewarding you with the perfect mocha colored head along with generous lacing.
Though most stores are sold out by this time of the year, (mid-November) there is a small "ethnic" store a few towns away that has an ample cache of this stuff. Needless to say, each time I "SCHHWINGGG" through, I pick up a sixer'.. I think they should have enough to last for me till the "drink before" date in March...
And No.... I aint' tellin" ;-) (768 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +19.7%

A: Poured from bottle to glass, a beautiful dark reddish brown, with two fingers of beautiful cream/off white head.

S: Malt, and lots of it, there are some subtle herb, or hop aromas in the background

T: Sweet upfront, then a bit toffee and biscuit flavor, and finally a bit of hop bitterness to close it out nicely.

M: A nice medium body, not over the top and too heavy, but far from light, so yeah I'll say medium body.

O: I love this beer, it's big a malty brew, with just enough hops to balance it all out. It's no wonder Sam Adams has been producing this every year since 1989. (586 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +19.7%

This beer should be sold year round, but I do enjoy the treat during the autumn. Its limited availability is part of why this beer remains a hot commodity. My initial pour developed a medium-sized head. It was a light tan, but it dissipated quickly and did not leave any lacing on the glass. I was disappointed with that aspect of the beverage. The color however, was awesome. A slightly burnt amber represents the season very well and it was a beautiful welcome to the beverage.

The aroma was good, possibly because I knew what to expect. If I tried to be objective, the smell is not great, but still good. Octoberfest is lightly carbonated, producing a good mouthfeel, but it was not as smooth as it could have been. While drinking the beer, it is difficult to tell the alcohol content, but after a couple of glasses, it become prevalent. This is one of my favorite beers and I am sad to see its season come to an end. (922 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours from the bottle a very dark amber with a thin off - white head that dissipates rapidly.

The smell is sweet, almost citrusy, with a nice toffee aroma. There is a nice toasted malt presence as well.

The taste begins with sweet notes, has a great (still a bit sweet) lightly toasted caramel flavor, and finishes with a hint of hoppiness.

The mouth feel is crisp, but full-bodied with with balanced carbonation.

Overall, this is one of my favorite interpretations of an Oktoberfest beer. (506 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +20.2%

12 oz. brown bottle, Pours a clear orange/copper color, lots of tiny bubbles spiral upwards to form a thick, tan foamy head that settles pretty fast. Not lacking any malt aromas, sweet caramel, toffee, and German malts. Medium bodied. A taste of caramel and German malts dominates this beer. Just a touch of herbal hops in the finish. Leaves a ligth nutty aftertaste. Balanced perfectly. Smooth and easy drinking. One of my favorite beers, I love this time of year.

Cheers! (476 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +20.2%

A-Poured into my official Samuel Adams Octoberfest mug. It pours an amber/copper color with a thick off white head that slowly dissipates leaving a thin layer of foam.

S-Extremely malty and sweet, with some caramel.

T-This is all about the malts. Its slightly sweet and grainy at first, but as it warms the caramel notes emerge. Its very crisp, clean, and refreshing.

M-Just slightly thin but they have a nice amount of carbonation.

D-I could drink this all day, it makes a great session beer.

Overall, this beer is awesome. It has a great flavor, its not too thick, and has a relatively low abv. so it makes a great session beer. I can't wait to grill some smoked sausage or brats and drink a few of these. (712 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +20.2%

A- Rich amber color one finger plus head had pretty good staying power.

S- Complex smooth and mellow malt aroma.

T- Great caramel malty sweetness balanced quite well by a good mellow noble hop pressence.

M- Smooth, nuff said!

D- KInda pissed I only bought a single.

Easily the best american Oktoberfest out there. (319 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +20.2%

Wow! I am surprised I like this beer now. I first tried it a year ago and was unimpressed. However, I have tried many beers in that year and can now say SA Octoberfest will be in my fridge all season. I've had this beer many times this year so I think this is accurate for me:

Poured into my Friar Tuck pint glass

A.Pours a copper-red color with a 1/2" off-white head. Very fine lacing. Head retention is about 30 seconds.

N. Smells malty with some hop aroma although I can't place the hops (my nose is not that talented yet). Smells like other Oktoberfest beers.

T. Initial taste is malty and bready and some hop bitterness is present at the finish which refreshes the palate for the next drink.

M. Moderate carbonation and medium body make this beer enoyable.

D. Overall a solid beer in my opinion. Certainly an Oktoberfest that has earned a place in my fridge. The SA website lists the ABV at 5.3% which helps make the beer very drinkable and sessionable. That being said I'm off for another! (1,001 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +20.5%

This beer has only 1 downfall. It's only available a few months out of the year. I found the flavor to be similar to their Winter Lager, but less bitter. This beer is very smooth and one could easily down a 6'er if they so choose.

I drink a lot of Sam Adams, and given a choice, I would drink this one year round. (317 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +20.5%

A - Pours a nice amber/orange, Nice head that disapates to minimal lacing. Looks like Fall in a bottle.

S - Very malty...sweet.,,,some hops noted.

T - Malty. Excellent toffee and caramel notes. Nice balance. Just enough hop bitterness to keep the malts in check. Great solid beer.

M - Slightly creamy...medium body.

O: A nice solid Oktoberfest at a great price. I love this stuff and will miss it when gone. (411 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +20.8%

A mellow October beer with a smooth finish. Good flavor with less bite than I expected. I found this a very pleasing drink. There is a malt bias, with no IPA like bitterness. Great with a meal or just a refreshing drink. I wish this one was around more of the year. (265 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Best before Jan 2011. Pours a copper orange with one finger of white head. Clear with what looks like ample carbonation.

Smells include malts, biscuits, sweetness, some grassy hops, caramel, and toasted grains. Nice boutique of aromas.

Tastes like a quality Marzen/Oktoberfest--true to the style with a nice backbone of malts with some caramel/toffy sweetness and a nice shot of bitterness to balance things out some. Finishes with a nice biscuit-like dryness. Toasty and malty, this is cool-fall weather reliable standby.

Mouthfeel has a nice crispness to complement the snap of cool air outside. Perfect amount of carbonation.

Drinkability--one of the most drinkable in this style category that I have had. Goes down very easily. There is just something quintessential about the fall time and this beer. Call it nostalgia or just a quality brew--either way, this one scores repeatedly. (937 characters)

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)