Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,072 | Hads: 7,110
4.22/5  rDev +15.3%

Ive been drining this beer every fall for several years now, and just realized to my surprise that I havent rated it yet.

It pours a nice amber hue with a good amount of khaki colored head retention. The smell is outstanding, very malty and reminiscent of autumn.

I love the flavor of this octoberfest, its very flavorful without being too sweet or syrupy.

The mouthfeel and carbonation are also excellent, as is common in most sam adams ales.

This is definitely one of my favorite Octoberfest beers right here.

From notes
On tap at the Barley House

(A)- Pours a clear dark caramel colored amber. A good eggshell colored head with good retention and lots of lacing.

(S)- A light, yet rich malt profile with a very subtle sweetness.

(T)- Same as the smell; rustic-like nuttiness in there too.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Rich and a good malt profile, yet light and crisp too.

(D)- One of my favorite Oktoberfests, despite me not being a huge fan of Sam Adams; this is the only one I get each year. This years is rather good.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fall just isn't the same without this beer.

There's nothing overpowering about Octoberfest -- it's just nice, smooth and malty. It pours out a beautiful dark amber, and while it doesn't have a very strong bouquet its overall flavor is rewarding. It's perfect for the season, and I try to catch it on tap and in bottles every fall.

4.23/5  rDev +15.6%

Part of the 2012 harvest pack, poured into a sam adams pint glass.

Appearence is copper/orange in color with a white head. Really does look like fall in a glass.

Smell is roasted malts,caramel and some hops.

Taste is pretty much how it smells. Caramel, toffee, and malts. Very pleasent.

Mouthfeel is very clean and easy to drink.Would have no problem putting down a few of these.

Overall, i really like this beer.It's a great American representation of the marzen style. I will definately be buying again.

4.23/5  rDev +15.6%

Sam Adams Octoberfest is second only to the Winter Lager as my favorite Sam seasonal offering. Best enjoyed on a chilly October or November day, Sam Adams Octoberfest's dark, amber hue and spicy aroma is a true sign that fall is here.

If your palette picks up the caramel, nutmeg and cinnamon notes, this can be a very complex, enjoyable beer. Mouth feel is chewy and hearty, yet surprisingly drinkable for a beer of it's weight.

I recommend Sam Adams fall seasonal to anyone, as it is one of the better Octoberfests I've had the pleasure of enjoying.

4.23/5  rDev +15.6%

With all the "Oktoberfests" on the market today, it is nice to see one that sticks to the Maerzen roots.

This bier is spot on for style and one I enjoy immensly. Deep amber color, caramel malt flavor with just a hint of hop balance. Sweet but not cloying. Smooth. This bier is so drinkable that you'll wonder why your glass is always empty.

Not heavily carbonated or a lot of head, but that is the style.

Have some frinds over, break out the Masskrug and start singing German songs.

"Ein Prosit..."

4.23/5  rDev +15.6%

Appearance: Clean amber and caramel. Small fine head when poured. Carbonation continually comes up from the bottom.

Smell: Pleasant Malts and yeast. Some interesting tea or hay notes that are mellow and pleasant. A little sweetness from the hops with a back note of citrus.

Taste: Hazelnuts, and toffee. A very pleasant complexion that evolves nicely.

Mouthfeel: Light and pleasant. Not too viscous. Matches the taste perfectly and facilitates the evolution of the beer across the palate.

Overall: A great american Marzen style. The malt is very well done and stands out pleasantly. Some of the german examples have a little more citrus and hops but a great take on the style. A great beer.

Serving type: Bottle poured into Sam Adams Boston Lager curved glass.

4.23/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I've been waiting for this since last year, and it didn't disappoint! At the price, you can't beat it. Rich copper color, carmel taste, fantastic Oktoberfest.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Octoberfest poured a dark amber color, with a nice sized head, that lasted for a while. There was a bit of a sweet smell, good amounts of malts. It tasted very malty, a little bit sweet, with some earthy flavors, overall the flavors were strong. The tasted last for a while, good carbination, and it wasnt too hard to drink, my dad would even have one. Overall a really good beer, one that I look forward for.

4.23/5  rDev +15.6%

Dark rich carmel color. Nice off white foamy head. Perfect carbonation. I smell toasted malts and hops. Very good Oktoberfest style beer. No outside annoying flavors.... Just the only ingredients that are supposed to be in beer. And lots of them. I hope to drink a shitload of this type of beer at the Dakota Inn Rathskeller at 6 Mile and John R Tommorrow night. Detroit's last authentic German establishment. Oktoberfest is on and we'll be doing our best Beerfest impressions. Prost!

4.24/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is Sam Adam's take on a Marzen but thos doesn't stray too far in finish or flavor from their original Sam Adams lager. However it is bolder, richer, and just a little bit more remarkable. Delicious it will not be the best Marzen,oktoberfest style beer you will ever try but it is a worthy effort from the popular brewery.

4.24/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sam Adams has hit another one out of the park. Octoberfest is truly one of their better beers, if not arguable their best.

I'm not much into cans, I really turn my nose up to them, but when the wife goes out and buys your beer you take what you get and you like it. :) In this case, I got lucky. Out of the can (I can't believe I'm writing that) I found the brew to be absolutely stunning - dark amber colored beer with a lightly tanned head. The head has great staying power with good lacing all the way down the glass. The smell was a roasted or toasted malt - rich, deep, and lightly sweet. I've had other Sam Adams and found them to be to carbonated for my taste, but Octoberfest was just at the right level of carbonation (IMHO). I could taste what I smelled - which is always a plus to me - and there was some distant sweetness to the beer.

My concerns that Sam Adams might be getting to big to really care about quality are totally unfounded - Octoberfest is truly something special.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Ok keep in mind this is coming from a Hop Head/PBR drinker...I know, weird. Also someone who isn't into sweet or malty beers that often.

A: Drank right from the bottle shame on me

S: Smelled of light but sweet caramel malts, toasty malts, not too much to the nose.

T: WOW! I though I wasn't going to like this since I'm an IPA guy but wow! It is a great tasting brew that I wish I had a braught or sausage to go along with right now.

M: Perfect medium carbonation. Goes down smooth.

D: Highly drinkable. I can't wait for a cool autumn Sunday to put a bunch of these back while watching the Dallas Cowboys kick some butt.

Overall very impressive just like The Boston Brew Company always is and never fails me.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

My favorite offering from Sam Adams. Pours a dark amber with a nice thick white foam head. Smell is sweet malts, bready with lite spice's. Taste is the same as the nose with the sweet malts quickly overtaken by a nice bready taste that lingers in the nose long after the swallow. Medium bodied brew with light carbonation. Fall weather,football,leaves falling and Sam Adams Oktoberfest!! Life is good.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Bought this beer as a 6er because I'm on a quest to try as many Sam Adams beers as I can.

I didn't pour it (a no-no I know), but from the bottle it tastes pretty good. Really good in fact. This isn't my favorite beer, but it is a great beer and makes for a great fall/early winter beer.

Overall, I'd recommend at least giving it a try, not necessarily going to be everyone's favorite beer for sure, but at least worth a taste. I enjoyed it, it's a top tier for me.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

The pour into my Mahr's mug raises a creamy, large bubbled, two-finger head that manages to hang around for a while, with some sudsy, but somewhat sticky lacing. The beer's color is a clear orange-copper. The nose is very biscuity, bready, and slightly (noble) hoppy. Very nice, although not pronounced. The taste is quite balanced, with of course a focus on the caramelly breadiness of the malt. There's a hint of bitterness in its lingering finish. I've had more complicated O-fests, but this still does the job here. The mouth is spot-on, with just enough carbonation (smooth, though) to tingle. This is an excellent session beer, and easy to guzzle if necessary.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

I really liked this beer. Very light mouthfeel with a beautiful caramel color. It had a warm feel to it, like a good friend. I would drink a few of these for sure!

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Review is for the 2003 season, which I thought was much better than last year's.
The brew pours a dark cinnamon amber, topped with frothy, yet dissipating head. The head never quite disappears, but reduces to a thin layer.
Aroma is very malty, with plenty of caramunich malt, providing a pleasant burnt caramel hint. Very clean. Some smokiness. No hops to mention.
Flavor is thick and malty. Full bodied, with moderate small bubbled carbonation. Clean flavors, no esteriness. No apparent hops. Moderate burnt caramel, with the barest touch of smokiness towards the end. A very thick malty finish. Sweet, thick maltiness in the finish, with a quickly fading malty aftertaste.
A very nice octoberfest. Probably the best version Sam Adams has done yet.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

A--Dark reddish brown in color. Tan head disappears quickly. Transparent.

S--Not a lot on the nose. Trace of malts mostly. Simple and enjoyable.

T--Very malt forward, rich with a caramel taste. A bit of spice at the end that's pretty dang good as well.

M--Medium weight, but drinks almost like a light lager. Goes down pretty easy. Just a bit of carbonation.

O--In my mind this is one of Sam Adams best beers. I look forward to it and I'll certainly have a few more this fall.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Bottle best by January 2015

Serving: Bottle into pint glass
Looks: Copper color with garnet highlights transparent with a thing bone white head that dissipated into a collar.
Smell: Oranges, Biscuits and Honey.
Taste: Citrus, Apples, Yeast.
Mouthfeel: Crisp and lightly carbonated.
Overall: A good introduction to the style. Perhaps serving with sugar cookies is not the best idea as the combination of the apple/orange juice and cookies took me back to preschool.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance: a dark and clear reddish color

Overall: One of the best fall beers. If not the best. Tastes of caramel, butterscotch, bready and light fruit taste. Malty and a little bitter. Very solid beer. Great!

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

This brew pours a brown/orange copper color but can also look ruby red when held up to the light, with a one finger off white head. Moderate lacing remains on the glass until the end and some of the head remains in the form of a collar.

The smell is toasted and sweet malts, rich grains and maybe some spices. There is also a thick caramel malt backbone.

The taste follows the nose with sweet and toasted malts hitting first followed by the taste of grain then some light, spicy hops at the end. There is a strong caramel backbone throughout.

The feel is thick, bready and chewy.

Overall this is a very good beer and a good representation of the Oktoberfest style. This brew is perfect for a cool Autumn day.

4.26/5  rDev +16.4%

Appearance- Beautiful Amber with barely a finger of tan head, barely any lace.

Smell- Malty,malty, malty very little hops smell.

Taste- Malty taste with tiny bit of bittering hops in the backgound, not cloying at all.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and slick mouthfeel, medium carbonation is a good malty finish.

Overall - Nice for this style, I'll probably get again next year.

4.26/5  rDev +16.4%

Went to Philly Beer Fests' Octoberfest last weekend. Out of all of them(Spaten, Paulaner, Otter Creek, Spaten, Hacker, Weyerbacher, etc.), this was the best. I guess particularly, this year's batch. It changes each year.

Robust Malty taste, but not too sweet. Level of carbonation staying power is very nice, for a malty Octoberfest. Nice bite to it. As opposed to a Spaten Octoberfest which is a brew that gets syrupy when room temp.

It's Appearance exactly what you look for in an Octoberfest- a nice dark orange, head lingers for about 10 minutes.

I can drink about 4 or 5, then Im full. This beer is probably close to 250 calories a bottle.

Great with bratwurst dishes in autumn

12 oz. bottle into a pils glass

Pours a clear, deep copper orange with a one and a half inch off-white head which holds up well throughout from lots of carbonation release. It also leaves some nice looking sheets of lacing down the sides of the glass. Can't ask for a better looking beer.

Aroma is nice and toasty with bread and caramel malt. A decent amount of grassy and earthy hop characteristics to round it out.

Taste is bready up front with a bit of a grainy quality, hops come in midway through leaving a grassy and earthy linger. A bit of sweetness comes through in the back. It's probably just something to do with the seasonal nature of it, but I keep wanting to equate the taste with autumn leaves...

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, very nice creamy carbonation. Drinkability is extremely high, this is one I could drink a sixer of in a matter of hours without even trying.

I have no idea why I didn't try this one last year, it's really very good. Probably my favorite beer that I've had from Sam Adams. The relatively low price is nice as well. Will definitely be getting more of this.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)