2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Reviews: 1914

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1851-1875 | 1876-1900 | 1901-1925  | next › last »
Ratings: 4,951 | Reviews: 1,914 | Show All Ratings:
JDK

4.83/5  rDev +31.6%

This is probably my favorite of all brews and I look forward to it's return every year (and just as I was starting to drop a few pounds!) Poured a very nice clear golden amber with a 1/2 head that lasted quite a while. Light lacing that clings throughout the drink.
Medium mouthfeel with nice carbonation, leaves a clean taste with just a hint of the spices.
Very light spice smell with a touch of hops.
For me this is a great session beer and if you haven't tried it you're missing out!

08-21-2007 23:57:19 | More by JDK
sthompson519

4.85/5  rDev +32.2%

The feel, the taste, the smell...unbelievable. The bottle and look might leave a bit to be desired, but the great taste will more than make up for that. Compared to most Octoberfests, Sam's has a far smoother taste. A bit of bite to it, but not overbearing. I look forward to the fall for two reasons, football and this beer!

04-07-2011 01:18:28 | More by sthompson519
TheBishop

Montana

4.88/5  rDev +33%

I have always have had disappointing experiences with Sam Adams Brews, but this one is an exception. This is the best Sam Adams Brew I ever had, and is on par or better then the German Octoberfest equivalents. I have been to Germany, actually lived ther for 2 years and this beer i as good or better then any German brew. A good representation of this style

I wished they brewed this year round.

10-13-2007 06:49:47 | More by TheBishop
Hawthorne

Maine

4.88/5  rDev +33%

This beer pours a smooth brown color leaving a nice head. The taste is a truly tasty carmel maltiness which makes my malt loving mouth genuinely pleased. Drinkability? I've been pounding these bad boys for the past three weeks and I haven't lost my love for em yet.

09-24-2008 22:51:13 | More by Hawthorne
palffyfan

4.9/5  rDev +33.5%

Appearance - Amber caramel-like with a cm of head that disipated quickly. Beer looks very rich.

Smell - Very fruity aroma, simply an amazing smell. Hard to tell what fruit the smell is, but it is very rich and delightful.

Taste - Milder lager, slightly fruity with no bitterness. Leaves a mild, smooth fruity aftertaste. Very delightful to the mouth. Leaves a tingly sensation in the mouth afterwards.

Drinkability - A fine beer with no aftertaste makes this a delight. Can't wait to finish the rest of my 6-pack.

02-04-2006 06:39:06 | More by palffyfan
The_Hucklebuck

Connecticut

4.9/5  rDev +33.5%

Possibly my favorite beer! Although as a seasonal beer, I wish they could be a little more consistent! The first year I tried it (3 or 4 years ago) It was by far my favorite beer, but it hasn't been quite as good the last couple seasons. Still a great beer though!

04-11-2012 21:07:31 | More by The_Hucklebuck
sb3000

South Carolina

4.93/5  rDev +34.3%

Call me a sucker for a mass produced Octoberfest, but this brew is awesome! Great color, great malt nose and flavor. This brew is a favorite among malt heads. Spaten is drier, Ayinger is malty yet one dimensional. Sam Adams seems to hit on all cylinders. I buy this beer and cellar it throughout the year. "Never leave home without it!!!!"

11-03-2009 04:19:14 | More by sb3000
FlatRabbitRed

Arizona

4.94/5  rDev +34.6%

First off .... I do believe they change the recipe every year, I go through several cases every year. The 2010 Octoberfest was the best they have ever made and the 2011 was not as good!

Some other reviews said it has a citrus quality, thats wrong!

Malty, caramel, with harvest flavors; pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, clove, allspice.

01-26-2013 14:14:56 | More by FlatRabbitRed
vicg12

One of my favorite beers. When September rolls around I am going from store to store waiting for it to hit shelves. This beer is perfect for almost any time, drinking sitting on the porch in the cool air or enjoyig a slice of pizza with a nice glass at your plate's side.

09-10-2008 15:25:49 | More by vicg12
dcook11

Avery nice offering from SA. The beer style is very sessionable and fairly complex as well. I enjoyed every moment of the six pack playing texas hold em with the family.

A- Nice white head with lacing. Amber orange color that looks like the autumn leaves on the bottle. Heavy carbonation.

S- Hops, malt, ....just pleasent and well balanced.

T- Starts of with a nice malt charcter followed by a hop bittereness. very well balanced.

M-awesome

d-very nice for the style

08-22-2010 06:00:06 | More by dcook11
kdawg105

Georgia

I love this brew. It has a dark caramel color with medium carbonation and light lace all the way down. The smell has a nice balance of sweet malts and hops. This is a smooth beer with a light mouthfeel which leads to a superb drinkablility. I highly recommend trying this brew you will definetly not dissapointed!

11-02-2010 19:08:43 | More by kdawg105
Outchillen

This is one of my favorite, if not favorite beers, copper colored, sweet malty, a great balance of malts to make this beer have a nice body, smells amazing, my only complaint is that I wish I could get this year round, the best oktoberfest beer out there

03-15-2011 23:51:03 | More by Outchillen
CS1971

I haven't had a Sam Adams I haven't liked. This beer continues the tradition. It is fully flavored, complex, has a great smell, and it truly brings me back to what made me fall in love with craft beers, I am a real fan of octoberfest/ pumpkin beers and this is at the top of my list! Thanks Sam!

Serving type: growler

09-19-2011 03:32:45 | More by CS1971
bullseyestrat

Sam Adams Octoberfest is the perfect beer for Autumn for me. Its a very well crafted beer in my opinion. I've had Sam's Octoberfest mostly in bottles or on tap. There's not too much of a difference between the two but on tap is better. I'd like to try the can soon but not really in a rush to. For me, Sam Adams Octoberfest is one of the few beers I get excited for when its released in "season". So much I like to buy in bulk and store it for months after when its Alpline Spring time or even Summer Ale of the next year.
Appearance-wise it has a golden brown color to it when poured. Almost like if they were to blend Autumn leaves into their beer. Very distinctive and easy to spot for me. Just a good sign my favorite season of Fall is around the corner.
Smell-wise it has a very malty German lager smell to it. Very malty and sweet with a hint of bitterness to it. Very well balanced.
Taste-wise Sam's Octoberfest has a lot of German influences in it. Full, malty, ecstatic for the taste buds, and with a hint of bitterness. To me just a perfect beer that tastes great and goes down very smoothly.
In the mouth its very refreshing and malty with a hint of bitterness while leaving you wanting more. Very smooth and full.
Overall Sam Adams Octoberfest is one of my top 5 beers. Its not for everyone but it will always be a favorite of mine and god help it if it stays in my fridge.

09-06-2013 02:37:41 | More by bullseyestrat
« first ‹ prev | 1851-1875 | 1876-1900 | 1901-1925  | next › last »
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)