Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros

Pours and smells lovely but is shockingly sweet. If you, like I, don't like sweet beers stay away despite the high ba rating and respectful abv.

Regardless of everything else the problem here is the HUGE diacetyl presence. Had a sixtel of this on at my house for about 2 weeks and really tried to get around it but could not. returned it for a keg of Ramstein O'fest and this is much better. A friend had the smae issue and the 2 places in the area I tried it on tap it was the same way. Not nearly as noticeable in bottles. Question is...is this lack of quality control at certain brewing sites? I believe they are brewing in the Lehigh Valley now at the old Rolling Rock place but not sure. This is the second year in a row where the diacetly presence has been overwhelming, a shame because this used to be one of my favorite seasonals from them.

Lots of blurb, advertising and fanfare; So I bought some to try.
Oh No, what a huge, bitter disappointment - if you can pardon the pun.

A massive foaming head that at one point threatened Mug-Mutiny. But it laced the glass well, and had an inviting look. Aromas are… Where are the aromas?????? Hmmm… (Deep Sniff). Poured a clear looking, deep Amber-Reddish Color, that again, looked very good, no complaints there. Still, No Aroma though (Deeper Sniff) … I’m trying. Initial taste is of a sickly sweetish, bee… nah - fluid. Weird. What the heck is this supposed to be?, its not like any Märzen/Oktoberfest I have had before. I get some hops in the middle but not many, perhaps just one. Where the hell is that Aroma?? (Snorting the Beer now!!) - Nope still can’t find it. Very lightweight mouth feel, that disappears almost instantaneously. Some cloyiness in the residual tastes, more annoying than pleasurable.
Is this an Oktoberfest LITE ???????

My friends in England, would say of this beer that, “It is all mouth, and no trousers”.
Mediocre or, perhaps, I just do not “understand” this beer??!??? I don’t know. But I do know I don't like it.

Promises, but just does not deliver for me. It will NOT be purchased again!!.

Am I the only one that seems to think this beer has gone down hill over the last two years? It's just always tasking skunky now, not good.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours transparent copper in color with a modest off-white head. Aroma smells of grassy, slightly skunky hops and some caramel. Tastes much like it smells, but worse. A funky hop stank presents up front, asserting itself through excessive carbonation. The malt aspect tastes less like caramel and more like raw sugar--quite offputting. The finish is a heavy does of wheat must. The sensation is kind of like what I would expect if I buried my head in a box of cheerios and inhaled deeply--less than appetizing. Finally the wheaty vapors subside and the process repeats itself with the next sip (sip being the operative word here).

I'm not confident I would have picked this out as an oktoberfest in a blind tasting, but then again I'm not a big fan of oktoberfests, so maybe I might have. Suffice it to say this brew has next to nothing going for it, coming off more like a beefed up light macrobrew than an homage to German brewing tradition. Not quite as bad as Sam Adam's chocolate bock, but pretty close.

I'm surprised at just how uninteresting this beer is. It smells like bread dough from yesterday, and tastes like it too. Just very bland with a metallic aftertaste. Poured from a bottle into a glass. The color and body are okay, but overall this just a step up from your average cornerstone macro, nothing special.

Maybe I just got a bad bottle but I don't see what the big deal is here. I'd try another in case I want to change my review, but I don't really want to spend money on another one of these when Sam Adams makes other brews that I actually like.

2.05/5  rDev -44.1%

SA O-fest is one beer I look forward to every year. This year's version, however, can be charitably described as mediocre. No significant nose,very flat taste and an unusual watery mouthfeel made me sorry I bought a whole case. Very disappointed in what is customarily a dead-on example of a superb beer style. Not this year, however. It will go into the sauerkraut and brats preparations.

2.08/5  rDev -43.3%

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)