Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,700 | Reviews: 2,063

100oz long tube beer was great from tap , not too strong with spices had just enough for me to enjoy till 0 oz

I've had about six draughts of these in the last week. Here goes:

A: Very nice head. Beer also has an amber color and is see-through. The only problem is that there's practically no lacing. Suppose that's because it's a Sam Adams. 3.75/5.00

S: Quite good. Bubblegum, banana and clove from wheat malt. Also some caramel from the barley. 4/5

T: Taste follows the nose except it's slightly more robust. Lots of bubblegum, clove and banana with a warm and toasty caramel background. Perhaps that could've added more hops, but I'm not complaining. 4.25/5.00

M: A little on the lighter side - almost like an American adjunct lager. Most bocks have a richer feel than this. 3.5/5.0

O: A solid brew. Has some drawbacks but is still good. 4/5

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

This brew pours a brown/orange copper color but can also look ruby red when held up to the light, with a one finger off white head. Moderate lacing remains on the glass until the end and some of the head remains in the form of a collar.

The smell is toasted and sweet malts, rich grains and maybe some spices. There is also a thick caramel malt backbone.

The taste follows the nose with sweet and toasted malts hitting first followed by the taste of grain then some light, spicy hops at the end. There is a strong caramel backbone throughout.

The feel is thick, bready and chewy.

Overall this is a very good beer and a good representation of the Oktoberfest style. This brew is perfect for a cool Autumn day.

I'm surprised at just how uninteresting this beer is. It smells like bread dough from yesterday, and tastes like it too. Just very bland with a metallic aftertaste. Poured from a bottle into a glass. The color and body are okay, but overall this just a step up from your average cornerstone macro, nothing special.

Maybe I just got a bad bottle but I don't see what the big deal is here. I'd try another in case I want to change my review, but I don't really want to spend money on another one of these when Sam Adams makes other brews that I actually like.

2.84/5  rDev -22.6%

Samuel Adams Octoberfest. Not Oktoberfest...but Octoberfest.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured for appearance

Appearance (3.75) : Deep, rich firey amber red color with a large malty head about three fingers high. Leaves licks of lacing as it recedes at a moderate pace.

Smell (3.25) : I wish I could pinpoint this smell that seemingly all Marzens have and it's so similar to fresh/clean/chlorine water. Someone's gotta know what I'm talking about. This one is pretty strong on this, but as the head recedes I get the following : roasted caramel malt, heavy nutmeg, toasted grains. Minimal hop smell. A clean smelling beer with hints of roast and spices.

Taste (2) : Whoa. Definitely not a fan here. Artificial spice punches your face right away with loads of bitterness. It's basically a bitter soured pumpkin with traces of stale nutmeg. It's like they brewed an amber ale and then added allspice to create a harvest beer. If you drink it straight from the bottle you get a little more roasted pumpkin, but overall this is a major fail.

Mouthfeel (3) : Mouthfeel isn't too bad, it's somewhere between creamy and carbonated. Very watery though. Finishes a bit syrupy.

Overall (2.84) : I was excited to try this beer, and I'm trying to like it - I really am. But unfortunately the taste of the stale spice and the bitter sour pumpkin did it in for me. I don't know what the hype is about it, its very gross. Very mawkish and distasteful. Try some other Oktoberfests, you'll be glad you did. This is like the Bud Light of Oktoberfests. Just skip it.

Am I the only one that seems to think this beer has gone down hill over the last two years? It's just always tasking skunky now, not good.

I always look forward to picking this up when it becomes offered on shelves. I drink so much of it through the fall that it somewhat gets tiring, but it is a great beer and one of the best Octoberfest beers out there. I love the carmel and malt flavors.

Sam Adams Octoberfest.

I'll probably catch a lot of crap from the beer snobs but I expect it to be overridden by mass adulation from the people in my area (boston) for how high I rate this, and granted my views are skewed by a nostalgic feel this beer gives me, but I think this is a tremendous Americanized interpretation of the classic German Marzen for which it’s styled after. I don’t have a lot of other beers of this style to compare it to so maybe it’s the absolute bottom feeder of it’s class, but we’ll overlook my naivety and just focus on the beer itself.

One of Sam Adams more popular seasonal brews Octoberfest pours a dark ruby red that softly fades into a medium bodied copper. Poured at a finger and a half head into an Octoberfest styled dimpled beer mug (thanks Michele) my nostalgic side takes over as the summer humidity is immediately sucked from the room and the crisp apple picking morning fall air is ushered in in a zephyr of fall winds with the falling autumn leaves dropping at my feet, Glorious!

Beer has a chewy citrus to toffee flavor that finishes thick and sticks to the pallet and throat. Tastes like a 1 pm Sunday afternoon football kickoff…. Or a caramelized sugar coated and pan fried pear chased with heavy malts.
Smell is similar and quite appeakling

To me this beer *IS* fall. Popping open a can or bottle of this closes the door on BBQs and beach parties. Days at the pool and drenching humidity and ushers in football, leaf raking, frosted morning windshields and hoodie weather.

Cheers!

3.96/5  rDev +7.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a glass tankard.

Appearance: Pours a crystal-clear amber with a big foamy white head. Some lacing on way down.

Aroma: It's malt-forward with toffee and caramel and a slight grassy note.

Taste: Big malts are right up front, with a pumpernickel taste balanced by caramel sweetness. Toasty. Nice toffee presence, too.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly light of body, but not in an unappealing way. Typical lager depth.

Overall: This is my favorite of Sam's three consistent seasonals (the Spring one seems to change annually these days). It's a tasty, approachable lager that should suit anyone on a fall day. Great beer for an autumn afternoon with some pretzels and football.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

Appearance is standard octoberfest. Smell is kind of lacking. Not muck comes to the nose, whomever I did pour into liter boot so a little more difficult to smell. A little more hoppy than most, and that is good. It is a very smooth drink with Carmel taste. The smoothy finish is the best part. Overall not to bad. Could drink several of these.

3.55/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured clear amber into a SA glass. Decent one finger head, dissipated a little too quickly, some lacing

Malty aroma, with a little toffee

Taste was mostly malt, with a little caramel and some pear like fruit in back

Mouthfeel was on the full side of medium, appropriate carbonation.

This is a very good fest beer, very suitable for the typical food pairings. I am usually under impressed with American Marzens, so this is a worthy choice for the season. I also like that Sam Adams BBC release it on an appropriate schedule
Prosit

ThomasMetal75 hit the nail on the head.

Giving it a 4/5 because my mom also liked it, and she doesn't like beer usually.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

A- Dark ruby red as Sam Adams says on their site. Had a frothy, 1 finger head that died. Head was rocky and pillowy. Egg shell colored head.

S- Big malts. Toffee like sweetness, toasted notes. Brown bread crust.

T- Light hop presence. Toffee like sweetness. Toasty. Has graininess as well. Lightly fruity.

M- Medium on the body. It is crisp clean and refreshing. Not quite as dry as American lagers.

Overall you can tell that your drinking an American interpretation of the classic fest beer from Germany. It's got standard Octoberfest flavors, but with a bit more hop presence and a fruity taste. Not bad at all, but not one I need to rush out to get this fall.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

Oktoberfest is my favorite during this time of year.

Sampling right now on 9/3/14, though it it has been about 2 years since I had one! Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a "Sam Adam's Summer Ale" pint glass.

Pours a rich copper-amber in color with a thin off-white head. Some spotty lacing is seen but not a lot, which is common for many brews of this style. The aroma for the most part is of sweet caramel malts. The taste is pretty close with a hint of burnt brown sugar in theere also. Medium bodied. No bitter or harsh aftertaste at all. Goes down easy and it a really good Oktoberfest style brew. I bet it is even BETTER on tap! Prosit!

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

If you can't find any other Octoberfest beers this one isnt bad. Aroma and Appearance are nice are right but the it lacked a little in subtle taste of it's German counterparts. It is a true to from Octoberfest brew in mouth feel.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

I can't say anything that hasn't been said before; so I won't. It's a good jumping off point for O'fest style beers, but there are better offerings. Also, as one of the Alstrom bros. stated, I feel this beer has been subtly changing from year to year. It's 2014, and this is not the same beer I first tried back in 2006(ish). I can't put my finger on it, but it has definitely been changing over time.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A nice amber with decent head and retention. Malty and slightly sweet in taste and smell.

Medium body. Good stuff.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Its alright, not bad would drink again.

Pours and smells lovely but is shockingly sweet. If you, like I, don't like sweet beers stay away despite the high ba rating and respectful abv.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

Always good. Very consistent. Very available. The beer is good the mass production with availability EVERYWHERE to me loses it's luster!!!

One of Sam Adams best beers - in my opinion. It's certainly better than the Boston Lager (which isn't bad) so I look forward to this beer being placed on tap in early Autumn every year.

This beer pours a gorgeous golden brown and amber red. It has a nice head, good lacing and a good body. It smells like an amber but with a tinge of spice on top and it tastes like that too: crisp, clean, balanced with a nice malty spine. The spices on top give it its character.

Is this the best beer from the Boston Beer Company? No, definitely not. But I promise you it's the best one you can buy in a bottle at your local gas station.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

A--Dark reddish brown in color. Tan head disappears quickly. Transparent.

S--Not a lot on the nose. Trace of malts mostly. Simple and enjoyable.

T--Very malt forward, rich with a caramel taste. A bit of spice at the end that's pretty dang good as well.

M--Medium weight, but drinks almost like a light lager. Goes down pretty easy. Just a bit of carbonation.

O--In my mind this is one of Sam Adams best beers. I look forward to it and I'll certainly have a few more this fall.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Bottle best by January 2015

4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

nicely done

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

From notes on 9/28/13

Decent. Poured out of there new sweet looking can. Props for the design. Color is darkish brown with brownish white head. Not much aroma. Very malty flavor.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)