Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros

Sam Adams Octoberfest.

I'll probably catch a lot of crap from the beer snobs but I expect it to be overridden by mass adulation from the people in my area (boston) for how high I rate this, and granted my views are skewed by a nostalgic feel this beer gives me, but I think this is a tremendous Americanized interpretation of the classic German Marzen for which it’s styled after. I don’t have a lot of other beers of this style to compare it to so maybe it’s the absolute bottom feeder of it’s class, but we’ll overlook my naivety and just focus on the beer itself.

One of Sam Adams more popular seasonal brews Octoberfest pours a dark ruby red that softly fades into a medium bodied copper. Poured at a finger and a half head into an Octoberfest styled dimpled beer mug (thanks Michele) my nostalgic side takes over as the summer humidity is immediately sucked from the room and the crisp apple picking morning fall air is ushered in in a zephyr of fall winds with the falling autumn leaves dropping at my feet, Glorious!

Beer has a chewy citrus to toffee flavor that finishes thick and sticks to the pallet and throat. Tastes like a 1 pm Sunday afternoon football kickoff…. Or a caramelized sugar coated and pan fried pear chased with heavy malts.
Smell is similar and quite appeakling

To me this beer *IS* fall. Popping open a can or bottle of this closes the door on BBQs and beach parties. Days at the pool and drenching humidity and ushers in football, leaf raking, frosted morning windshields and hoodie weather.

Cheers!

MikeyBadnews, Sep 09, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

A- Dark ruby red as Sam Adams says on their site. Had a frothy, 1 finger head that died. Head was rocky and pillowy. Egg shell colored head.

S- Big malts. Toffee like sweetness, toasted notes. Brown bread crust.

T- Light hop presence. Toffee like sweetness. Toasty. Has graininess as well. Lightly fruity.

M- Medium on the body. It is crisp clean and refreshing. Not quite as dry as American lagers.

Overall you can tell that your drinking an American interpretation of the classic fest beer from Germany. It's got standard Octoberfest flavors, but with a bit more hop presence and a fruity taste. Not bad at all, but not one I need to rush out to get this fall.

ThomasMetal75, Sep 05, 2014

OnryAndMean, Yesterday at 11:39 PM
3.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Yeldarb92, Yesterday at 05:38 PM
4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

I really liked this beer, I was surprised by it being a seasonal and I've never been a huge fan of Sam Adams but this one really stuck with me.

Michael-A, Yesterday at 04:49 PM
3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

I'm a fan of Octoberfest beers, so I wanted to try this one, and I wasn't disappointed. It's maybe a little too one-dimensional, as you taste the sweetness of the malt and the caramel more than anything else, but it's a good take on the style. I could have a few of these with some tubed meat and be pretty happy.

dcscientist, Yesterday at 04:45 PM
2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

rpbisaillon, Yesterday at 02:32 PM

LennyBound, Yesterday at 04:33 AM

Meh. Not all that impressed; like most Sams this is a dumbed down version of the real deal that's marketed to the newcomer to the micro- scene. Would order it if there's no other Marzen's on tap and the month happens to be October. But otherwise, meh.

everythingiszen, Yesterday at 03:32 AM

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

holder45, Thursday at 06:00 AM
3.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Yancey82, Thursday at 02:32 AM
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)