Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,699 | Reviews: 2,062
3.1/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

l'm not a big Octoberfest fan, probably my least favorite S.A. beer.

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. brown bottle with no freshness date.

Not a whole lot of head, but some nice thin lacing that retained well. Color is very nice, a lot like autumn! Good malty aroma as well, with a slight hint of must.

Lots of sweet malt. Some herbal and fruity notes linger with some gentle hop spice.

Kind of dull, but enjoyable. A safe bet for a good fall brew, although I think Boston Beer Company can do better.

3.62/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mug. Dark copper with light amber highlights at the edges, plentiful streams of bubbles supporting a one finger light beige head. Fair amount of lacing present.

Delicious smells of caramel and toffee lead the nose, toasted malt and breadiness with an underlying herbal quality from the hops.

Toasty and bready malt flavor, light sweetness with the caramel and toffee again showing up, but not as expressed as in the nose. The finish is lightly bitter, herbal and with some earthiness. Nice, but not exceptional.

Light bodied, thin even, but smooth and sessionable with a nice level of carbonation. Could use a bit more substance.

A decently crafted brew that hits most of the style points for a traditional Oktoberfest. Drinks well, definitely wouldn't turn it down, but will go for a few better made fests if they are available to me.

4.85/5  rDev +32.2%

This beer pours a smooth brown color leaving a nice head. The taste is a truly tasty carmel maltiness which makes my malt loving mouth genuinely pleased. Drinkability? I've been pounding these bad boys for the past three weeks and I haven't lost my love for em yet.

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

Appearance: A nice deep amber colour with a decent light tan head that subsides a bit but sticks around in the glass for quite awhile.

Smell: mostly toasted malts in the smell.

Taste: Rich taste toasted malts with hints of caramel, some sweetness, and some hops in the background not too overpowering(not very strong). This one taste like fall.

Mounthfeel: A nice fairly smooth feel, more carbonation than I expected, hard to determine weather thats a plus or a minus on this one, so I'll go with neutral.

Drinkablility: Fairly drinkable, taste like fall to me, smooth, easy to drink a few, and can serve as a good fall staple.

3.22/5  rDev -12.3%

A- Really pleasant burnt orange color that I should think goes with fall beer. Decent head as welll, not too much, stays around long enough.

S- Not a fan. To me all the Sam Adams beers smell the same, it's all the hops, not a fan of the really BEER smell.

T- Another lighter beer you won't see me review very often, but I was in the mood for a fall beer. It does have a pleasant mild taste, some nice herbal notes as well.

M- Average, a good medium between smoothness and a mouthful of grain, nothing to write home over.

D- Pretty good if you feel like a fall beer, and it's just September. It does have some drinkability, not something that I would reach for just anytime, but it has a place in the fridge from Sept-Nov

2.74/5  rDev -25.3%

This beer conjures images of being at the pumpkin patch on a hayride.Poured with all but a band of bubbly foam left in the glass. Smells like sweet burnt caramel with a sprinkling of brown sugar, looks like watery faux maple syrup. Overly sweet, yet, the beer is quite smooth with a brown sugar hit at the end.

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

This is one of the few Sam Adams that I have tried that I've rated above average to date. It has a great appearance and a great deep complex favor that actually appealed to me. It pours with a 3 finger head straight down the middle of the glass. A nice dark appearance in the glass. Overall one of their better offerings in my book and I could drink a few in one sitting.

4.02/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - Beautiful burnt-orange color, half-an-inch of creamy head

S - Not much on the smell . . .

T - Malty, caramel, very smooth; Little carbonation and not very bitter or hoppy at all

M - Smooth, creamy, and very drinkable!

O - This is a Fall staple for me. Almost always a six-pack in my fridge in the fall and winter months. Most places around here (IA) have it on tap too, so it's a good one to get used to. May be a little too early for it's tastes (late-August) but couldn't resist once I saw it in the liquor store. One of my all-time favorites.

4.7/5  rDev +28.1%

samuel adams octoberfest is cool.

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

Looks and acts like a regular Sam Adams, a nice orange color with a fine amount of foam and lacing. Smells sweet, malty. Sip is smooth and rich, with a good mouthfeel. Hops are the first thing I notice when sipping, though they don't really have a distinct profile. Taste then turns strongly to a malty caramel flavor that works wel for the style. Sweet, but not cloying or offensive; very drinkable. It doesn't really have that typical 'Sam Adams' taste (noble hops?) which is a slight disappointment for me. Nevertheless, a great beer for the season to mix up in one's usual beer rotation.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The ABV is lower than they could have made it because the flavor is so full.
Its an awesome blend of malt and hops and really is the perfect flavor to embody the fall season.
Its not my favorite seasonal but it is definitely my favorite octoberfest so far.

4.65/5  rDev +26.7%

Smell- sweet, malt aroma

Taste- malty, smooth

Mouth- medium- not too dense, not too light

Overall- excellent overall. One of the beat beers around and one of the best examples of an Octoberfest. I've had several different octoberfest beers and this is the best.

I look forward to it every year.

4.22/5  rDev +15%

It's got a nice orange color and it has a bit of a pumpkin scent to it. I think it was supposed to taste like Pumpkin but I could not taste it. It tasted a lot like the Samuel Adams Brown Ale which I also love. It's a great beer overall just not what I was picturing.

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic

A-pours a nice golden brown with a 1 finger frothy tan head, not much lacing.

S-biscuity, malts and barley are present as are spices and faint hops. Doesnt really surprise or overjoy me here, just a nice aroma.

T-Very nicely balanced with a sweet and malty body and a crisp and dry bitter hoppiness near the finish, its complex yet simple at the same time, also quite refreshing and not heavy on the pallete or stomach which makes it a good session beer but also a good beer to have with a meal.

M-A little lighter than id like for a malt beer meant for fall but still enough of a body there to really grab onto. a fair amount of carbonation but its just the right amount.

D-Overall a great beer to enjoy if you just want one with your meal or to have more if youre out at a nice pub with some friends. Its smooth, tasty and refreshing.

3.05/5  rDev -16.9%

Type: Oktoberfest/ Lager
Color: Amber
Body: Lightly carbonated
Head: Heavy white head. Lingers for some time. Excellent lacing.
Taste: For a fall beer is it light but still has a great flavor. Almost tastes like popcorn strangely enough.
Aroma: The smell of fall is in the air! You can smell the spices and the caramel and toffee that were used in the brewing process.

3.23/5  rDev -12%

A-Appearance is a nice rich copper with very little head that basically disappeared after I poured it. No lacing what so ever.
S-There is a subtle spiciness, probably from the hops, that can be detected with hints of maltball.
T&M-As for taste and feel, I must say it goes down smooth, rather syrupy-like or even molasses-like. Remaining flavors after one takes a sip remain around the edge of the tongue as opposed to darker, stronger beers, which can overwhelm the tastebuds and attack the back of the throat.
D-Sam Adams Octoberfest is a very drinkable beer with a nice toasty finish. Not overly strong based on the mild hops, which allows one to get through a six pack. Though for some, the malt flavor may be a drawback after a couple of beers. After a few, it may come across as fairly heavy. Nevertheless, it is one of the better Octoberfests for the price in my opinion, granted I got this bottle from a buddy of mine. Apparently, Sam Adams Octoberfest is bought up pretty fast in my area, just another testament to its own drinkability.

4.52/5  rDev +23.2%

One of my friends gave me a bottle to try, while we were lounging around in the pool. The beer had a great Octoberfest taste to it and it was an enjoyable beer to drink. I think I will buy it in the future.

The beer was dark brown in color, and was not over carbonated. It smelled and tasted really good. I recommend this beer.

3.97/5  rDev +8.2%

I'm looking at my score and I understand it may at first glance appear too high, but keep in mind that an extra .5/1 point for each category is a big difference to me when reviewing beers, so take that for what it's worth. On to the review.

Pours a nice dark copper with a white head that doesn't stay for very long.

Lot's of bready, caramel and slight honey notes hit the nose. A very pleasant aroma that I really dig.

A sweet caramel/honey malt comes through at first sip, but then the spicy/herbal noble hops come through that help keep the finish from being overall too sweet. Really love the malty flavors.

Body is light-medium, with a finish that is just slightly on the dry side.

This beer is very refreshing, and the malts while semi-complex are never overbearing. It's a very flavorful session beer that in my honest opinion has a better overall flavor compared to Boston Brewery's regular Boston Lager. I wish this was year round.

a:more than medium carbonation. small short lived white head with thin lacing. orange/auburn crystal clear color.

a:munich malt with some crystal malt sweetness. more than a hint of floral noble hop. faint occasional whiff of roast.

t:smooth munich bready richness with what must be added crystal malt. residual sweetness with subtle almost honey-like flavor.no yeast profile.
twice i noted what i thought was diacetyl but couldnt find it again. again subtle floral hop with maybe just a touch of spiciness. lingering sweet caramel with intertwined munich malt.

m:significant but not biting carbonation. medium but very soft mouthfeel.

o:very drinkable because of the smooth touch of the malts despite some residual sweetness. a very good beer although i do think less crystal malt or none would be more traditional. better than many imports because of the freshness.

4.27/5  rDev +16.3%

My favorite fall beer! Even though it's not fall yet in Florida, I saw it in the store today and had to pick up a 12 pack for $13.99... here goes the first one:

a- pours a dark brown/gold with a 1/2" head - leaves lacing that falls after a few seconds.

s- not to much here. i get some hints of malts, but nothing stands out.

t- similar to the boston lager, but more on the malty side, but still balanced. The malt flavors really jump out: oak, cream, and spice. While the hops are pretty mild, they are still noticeable and give it a slightly bitter finish, which really smooths the deal out.

m- on the light side, lots of carbonation

d- you can certainly stick with octoberfest for the evening. You're gonna want more than one - no doubt. A great beer to drink on the first cool days of the season (even though that's still months away here in FL. It's currently 90 degrees)

an additional note- ive got to say this first beer isnt as good as i remember it being in years past. It seems much lighter, almost that watered down feel. This could be due to two things- first i had really high expectations for this beer, as i enjoy it so much every fall, and second, as the flavors, feel, and "mood" of this beer are geared towards cooler weather, I think that cool days are an essential element for enjoying it the way it was intended to be enjoyed.

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

I aquired this beer from a co-worker who recieved the Sam Adams Winter variety pack, and well I guess he didn't like it as he gave me most of them.

After drinking several, I admit that most didn't sit well with me, however this one did. I kind of like it.

Appearance ~ I drank it out of a bottle, so I really have no clue. Holding it up to a window, it looks dark, but I can see through it. I'm going to give it a three because I'm too lazy to get up and pour it into a glass.

Smell ~ Hmmmm... come to think of it, this probably isn't a fair review for me either as I have a bit of congestion... It smells sweet, I think of cherries when I sniff.

Taste ~ This is where the OctoberFest excels when compared to the other beers in the variety pack. (note - I said when compared to other beers in the variety pack). The word of caution is because I can't quite decide if I think the taste is above average. I think I sometimes confuse "taste" with "mouthfeel". I'm going to give it a 3.5.

Mouthfeel ~ this I like,it's crisp, but not too crisp, giving it a slight silky smoothness that coats your mouth but rinses out quickly. This I like. 4

Overall ~ for me, this is an above average Sam Adams beer, as I'm typically not a fan of their offerings, but it's not a beer I would go out and purchase. So I got to say it's just average.

Sorry...

4.55/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This heavily malted and hoppy elixir pours a golden brown, with an incredible head. The abv content is just right - and in this case, as close to perfection as one would desire. This is definitely a session beer, however, I suspect that you may not repeat the session as once would suffice. Octoberfest beers bring out the best in production, and this one is nothing short of spectacular. With 5 roasted malts in this particular brew, you enjoy every single one of the 165 calories in this bottled beer. A worthy find.

4.18/5  rDev +13.9%

On tap.

A - Cloudy copper color with a one finger fizzy head that dissipates quickly. No lacing.

S - Bready and Carmal malts. A touch of spice.

T - Very similar to the nose. Bready malts dominate. Spices and a touch of hops.

M - Light to medium. Good carbonation. This is an easy drinker.

Great session beer. this one is very enjoyable.

I always look forward to picking this up when it becomes offered on shelves. I drink so much of it through the fall that it somewhat gets tiring, but it is a great beer and one of the best Octoberfest beers out there. I love the carmel and malt flavors.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)