Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,000 | Hads: 6,718
4.3/5  rDev +17.5%

The pour was of an orange amber hue. The appearance is one of golden orange with a touch of maroonish haze color. The smell was rich with spice and wheat with a strong undertone of herbs. The taste and mouthfeel where both very, very nice. Filled with flavor with no hint of bitterness. My overall impression was excellent. Go buy some!. (337 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours out a nice amber/burnt orange color, with a finger width or so of head. I didn't really detect much on the smell, maybe a faint hint of malts. The taste is nice, malty, but not too much so, with a good finish. It maybe could have had a little stronger malt taste, but it still hits the spot. Mouthfeel is pretty good, nothing out of the ordinary, but drinkability is pretty high. Overall it's a solid beer that I wish was around more often, but then again, thats part of the fun of Oktoberfest. (500 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured into a pint glass revealing a beautifully amber drink with a nice head. Smelled of delicate hops and malty sweetness. Taste is more malty than the nose, with a very clean aftertaste. As things progress the hops begin to shine through. Head left a nice delicate lacing.

This is a go-to Oktoberfest. (306 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

Decided to try this, though I have not been that impressed with Sam Adams lately. And I was once again disappointed. Poured a medium brown, with little head, whatever there was quickly dissipated. Nose was a bit malty, with yeasty notes, but not overpowering or complex. Mouth feel was much thinner than I expected, watery, and relatively tasteless. Finish was somewhat unpleasant, a bit sour. All in all, I would not buy it again. (431 characters)

Pours a crystal clear copper/orange color with pearly white head, dissipates immediately leaving no film, looks like a glass of apple cider.

Very toasty grain smell, with some sweetness.

Malt, malt, malt on the taste, big breadiness and a hint of grain sweetness. Finishes crisp with slight hop bitterness.

Mouth feel is light and crisp, good carbonation very refreshing.

Overall, great session beer. It's good on the remaining warm days of sept/oct. (454 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

It's almost ok. Spice is overpowering to the pint of annoyance. There are so many other good beers in this flavor range to mess with this one again. (150 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

This beer pours a redish/orange brown with a white head. The smell is mostly of malt and pretty much on the sweet side. The flavor is rich and bold and is of mostly malt, with little hops to be found by me. It has a great balance of flavor and carbonation. It is very smooth, medium body but the beer has a thick flavor. It has a long, lingering aftertaste that some sweet notes that just add to the character. I wish I could get it all year round. (448 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +16.9%

Always a favorite of mine pours dark copper color with hints of caramel..Head lasts for a little not too long.. Nice body a little heavier than some Oktoberfest beers I have had..Does leave slight not overbearing aftertaste.. This is one of my favorite seasonal beers.. (269 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

A - A beautiful dark copper color, perfect for the season. A nice tan had that lingers for a while and some nice lacing, most likely due to the sweetness.

S - Caramel, malty, a hint of hops. Not too strong though.

T - Malt dominates the flavor profile. Its starts with a heavy malt taste, then you can taste the hops closer to the finish although there aren't a ton. A little harsh on the finish but sweet throughout and overall very good.

M - Medium and smooth, I like it.

D - This is my fall beer. I love to try new Marzens, especially from other local brewers but I always keep falling back on this. I find it to be very drinkable, it's a medium bodied beer that doesn't fill me up too fast. (698 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap into a pint glass

A - bright clear copper color with a thin light tan-ish white head that faded quickly and left no lacing

S - bready and malty, slight yeasty sweetness

T - malty and slightly sweet, faint hops linger in the taste, nothing too dramatic or spectacular

M - light, smooth, medium to high carbonation. Crisp feeling in the mouth

D - very drinkable due to the moderate alcohol content, balanced flavor and lack of any overpowering tastes. You could probably drink these all night, but I wouldn't want to. A couple in an evening is enough. (562 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%

Sam Adams - Octoberfest

I'm assuming this one is bottled the same as all their others, in Boston, MA. This is probably the easiest to find Oktoberfestbier in the states. It's about as average as you can come, but that's not a bad thing. Some else was saying its a good way to introduce Americans to the style without being offensive. I'd agree with that - it's good, but not great.

Coming in at only 5.3% ABV this is definately on the light side for the style. Its perfectly clear, with a nice deep amber toward red color. I liked it, it just seemed to be lacking a bit of flavor, not so bad as to call it watered down, but definately missing something.

Only indication of bottling date is a notch out of FEB on the side of the bottle which matches the traditional style perfectly, but maybe that's a "sell by" date? (822 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: Dark amber-orange, light to medium head, good carbonation.
Smell: Sweet and malty
Taste: Medium hops, slightly sweeter and maltier than Boston Lager. Can detect some caramel.
Mouthfeel: Medium frothy, slight bittersweet aftertaste. Nice.
Drinkability: Good. Can drink several quickly, but would rather saver them slowly.
Summary: This is a very good beer. I gave it an 8.1/10, or B-. This beer is very similar to Samuel Adams Boston Lager, but it's sweeter and maltier. It has several food pairings, but tastes great by itself. It's a good choice to enjoy during Octoberfest. I look forward to drinking this beer again next year. (641 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

If you can't find any other Octoberfest beers this one isnt bad. Aroma and Appearance are nice are right but the it lacked a little in subtle taste of it's German counterparts. It is a true to from Octoberfest brew in mouth feel. (231 characters)

Look: light, slightly orange-y Caramel color
Smell: caramel, very light hops
Taste: lightly malty flavor, sweet but not too sweet, hops perfectly balance the beer
Aftertaste: can definitely taste the malt with the aftertaste but it doesn't linger terribly long
Overall: I always eagerly anticipate this beer release in the fall. It is my favorite octoberfest brew. I am so looking forward to this years release! (412 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +4.1%

Clear, sparkling amber makes for a wonderful inexpensive fall imbibe. Had it not the hints of cheapness that come with a typical consumer beer, it could be so much more. But considering those limitations, it is quite a bit more drinkable than your usual big-name beer. It feels every bit a malty brew, though it regretfully lacks the full aroma of one. The stale, bready smell of the common inflicts itself and ruins the sense of the scent that lingers there.

Something creeps into the flavor as well. Though the initial mouth feel is overwhelmingly and pleasingly malty, smooth, and pleasant, the late twinge of lemony hops could be destined to be a choice in finish...but comes off almost tart. I am one that will not complain about a sticky, malty beer being sticky and malty...and this one seems to want to apologize. In the backlash it comes off citrus, and a little underage. That will be an inherent problem with a beer produced in this volume.

All that said, I could drink this all day. That, I think, is the best part of this bottle: you can't complain that it isn't tasty the first or fifth time in the day. When it is available, it is a low cost joy.

Worth a try, and a weekend. (1,193 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Look forward to this beer--makes the end of Summer more bearable. Tried this season's both on draft and bottle and was pleased with it's annual consistency--very authenic Oktoberfest. Poured a medium copper color with a nice white foamy head, delivered lots of flavor--mostly malty, light caramel and somewhat dry on the finish. Some Oct. Fest beers are a little more hoppy, but this one is very tasty and pleasing. Acts as a wonderful transition beer from Summer to Winter. (474 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer has a very nice medium amber color to it. After the pour, it retains an average sized, frothy head that dissapates pretty quickly and leaves behind hardly an trace by the time you're done drinking the beer.

The aroma isn't really anything to go crazy about other than the nice maltiness it gives off.

This beer tastes great. It's moderately sweet, with a slight bitterness followed by a decently heavy bitterness that lastes a little while. The flavor is full of caramel and toffee notes.

Medium bodied with a soft and slightly creamy mouthfeel give this beer it's high drinkability

Overall, this beer is a great. It's good to enjoy with meals or to just have it with a snack or all by itself. Sam Adams does it again! (741 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +15.6%

Sam Adams Octoberfest is second only to the Winter Lager as my favorite Sam seasonal offering. Best enjoyed on a chilly October or November day, Sam Adams Octoberfest's dark, amber hue and spicy aroma is a true sign that fall is here.

If your palette picks up the caramel, nutmeg and cinnamon notes, this can be a very complex, enjoyable beer. Mouth feel is chewy and hearty, yet surprisingly drinkable for a beer of it's weight.

I recommend Sam Adams fall seasonal to anyone, as it is one of the better Octoberfests I've had the pleasure of enjoying. (553 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +13.4%

12 oz. bottle, poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Enjoy before March 2014 notched into
the label.

A-Crystal clear amber brew yields a 1/2" head which dissipates to just a wisp almost immediately.
Light stream of carbonation ascends to the top.

S- Heavy malt presence in the aroma. Sweet, ready-to-bake bread dough and yeast on the nose. No hop aroma. Not many beers could get away with this, but an Oktoberfest can.

T- Sweet malt followed by more sweet malt, followed by... You get the idea. Not as sweet as other marzen-style beers, but oh yeah, it's there in abundance.

M- Perfect for the style. Not too thin, but highly quaffable, and you know your not drinking a
sissy yellow beer.

O- I'm a bit partial toward this brew, as it was one of my first "micros" way back in 2005.
I thought then that this was one thick, heavy beer. Have I learned a lot. Nevertheless, I look
forward to those orange, fall themed bottles show up on the shelves in late October. Not the
most authentic marzen, but one I will always have a few of every fall. Cheers, Mr. Koch. (1,069 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +23.5%

Probably my favorite beer unfortunately it's only available in the fall

Have only had this beer out of the bottle but would love to try it on tap which I am going to do this coming fall.

This beer is fall in a glass everything you can ask for in a seasonal beer, Well-bodied and a full flavor that leaves you wanting another sip/taste/bottle.

My favorite Sam Adams beer out of the ones I have tried (402 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

12oz bottle into a pilsner

A - Beautiful clarion amber with a short, light tan head that leaves a passable amount of lace.

S - Lots of sweet malt and very noticeable hops.

T - Pilsner and lots of crystal malt. Very apparent of hop bitterness.

M - Carbonation is good for the style. Fullness is spot on. It's a bit dry and leaves behind an astringency.

O - Not bad, really. This one got knocks more for the astringent aftertaste than anything else. Also, the crystal wasn't balanced very well. Still pretty drinkable, though. The colder, the better. (560 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Golden amber colour, about an inch of head, nice lacing present that clung seductively to the side of the glass.

S - Nice toasty smell, semi-sweet fragrance, easy on the nose.

T - This was my first Oktoberfest, so I honestly wasn't sure what to expect and tried to not bring any pre-conceived notions to the table, despite being let down by Sam Adams' beers in the past. However! This one was pretty good, semi-sweet chocolate flavor in the beginning, which trailed off into a toasty flavor, not too alcoholic and a little sweeter at the end, which was welcome. Also had a nice nutty aftertaste, which I love in beer.

M - Not very alcoholic, rather smooth and it left me with a pleasant semi-sweet aftertaste once I'd finished the beer. Sort of like when you finish a food you really enjoy and there's that aftertaste that keeps making you remember it and smile.

D - I could've probably had a few of these before I got tired of the taste, but I'm a bit of a lightweight, so I usually limit myself to 1 beer a meal.

Honestly the only reason I didn't rate this higher, despite the flavors I tasted (and enjoyed), was because it didn't seem that complex. After I had a few initial tastes and placed the flavors I was tasting, I felt like it would have more to offer, but it didn't appear to, which was sad. (1,312 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

I remember having this beer many years ago and it sort of changed my outlook on German beers. Now, I know this is an American beer, but it's a German style, and now that I've developed more of a palate for beers of all types, coming back to it I find myself less mesmerized, but still enjoying the experience.

It looks good - nice amber hues. The head is pretty week, but it retains lacing. It looks like changing leaves of Fall.

Smells very spicy to the nose. One of the best qualities of the beer - instantly reminds you of pumpkins, nutmeg, the Fall air, etc.

The taste is less than I remember. Not less as in bland, more so it is less of an Oktoberfest taste (or Marzen taste) than I would like. It's very sweet - not sickly so, but less complex than say a Paulaner or a Spaten. Now, to be fair, Paulaner or Spaten may taste more watery - but that makes it easier to drink, in my opinion. Lots of spice notes to this one, some caramel - not bad at all, but maybe a bit too strong?

The taste carries over into the feel. It lingers on the tongue, but not in a completely satisfying way. I say this after having put back a few Paulaners (my favorite) so maybe my taste is a bit jaded. Will have to revisit this one tomorrow on a clear palate.

Overall, a good beer for the fall. Easily available gives it more points, and the fact that it's an American take on a German style that doesn't sacrifice any flavor gives it more points too.

I recommend trying it, especially for novices. (1,488 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

I can't say anything that hasn't been said before; so I won't. It's a good jumping off point for O'fest style beers, but there are better offerings. Also, as one of the Alstrom bros. stated, I feel this beer has been subtly changing from year to year. It's 2014, and this is not the same beer I first tried back in 2006(ish). I can't put my finger on it, but it has definitely been changing over time. (402 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

beer was a nice light copper color with a one finger head that didnt last long

the smell was a bit sweet and malt heavy with very little hop aroma

tast is somewhat sweet upfront and a nice dry finish

overall this is a pretty good beer especialy if your looking for something you could drink a few of (302 characters)

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)