Join our email list →

Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Märzen / Oktoberfest | 5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,081 | Hads: 7,171
4.48/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Looks, smells, and tastes like Autumn. The perfect fall beer and for me the most eagerly anticipated each year from BBC. Picked up an extra case to enjoy well into spring - right around their 'enjoy before' date matures - and reminisce about cool fall temps. Solid, solid beer.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a dimple mug pint glass. Beautiful perfectly clear orange/reddish body fills the glass, topped with a thick khaki colored head. Head slowly falls back into beer, leaving a think covering over beer, light lacing. Nice looking pint.

Smell is of light malts, some fruity esters, gentle hops, and a thin, watery grain flavor lingering in the background. Overall, very simple.

Taste is surprising balanced as the beer hits the palate: gentle roasted malts intermingle with plenty of maltiness and some rich grape/raisin flavors, balanced out nicely with some spicy hops. Rich carbonation guides the beer down a leaves a nice tingling, sweet malts and some spicy hop notes creep through on the finish and linger for a second. As those fade out, a thin/watery grain profile comes through, somewhat similar to corn/rice? What? Definitly don't remember this in previous years brews.

Mouthfeel is very nice, actually. Body is nice and thick, almost sticky/creamy that is balanced out nicely by a good amount of carbonation that lets the brew roll around the mouth.

Drinkability is nice, a great tasting beer that is widely available. Very easy to put back.

This is my favorite seasonal beer from SA, and is a close second overall from what they have to offer (after the cream stout). I have noticed it getting better from year to year and it is definitly good this time around - the only thing that is surprising to me is the watery corn/rice profile that seems to be hiding in the back of the beer. Am I the only one noticing this, or is it just a thin malt base?

Overall, great, easy to find, and decently priced. I'll definitly be picking up some more of this!

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%

I tried this at dinner tonight at Ruby Tuesday's on draft. I asked for a Dog Fish Head 60 Minute IPA but the waiter soon came back and told me they were out so I went with this. I have had it in a bottle before but never of tap. On tap was much better. The beer came a nice orange color. By the time it made it to the table whatever head there was was gone. The smell was sweet with some grain. The taste was pleasant with nuts and spice. A lot better on tap. A good seasonal!

3.59/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured out of a 22oz bottle into tall pilsner glass.

Apperance: Clear copper coloring. Siimilar to but lighter than Yuengling.
Smell: Not a lot to speak of. .
Taste: Sweet, rich malty flavor. Finishes with a nice bitterness to compliment the malt. A little unbalanced on the sweet side, but I imagine that is what they were aiming at.
Moutfeel: Appropriately fizzy and bubbly, what I'd expect.

Overall: Glad I picked this one up. It's still 80 degrees in SC on a Sat afternoon, but I imagine that a 6 pack of this would be perfect on a chilly night. Will definitely have to pick back up and try again later.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

A: pours a clear, clean amber with orange-ish hue.

S: out of bottle I got an initial musky scent, but that decreased as I drank. otherwise plenty of malt and caramel.

T: Initially hit with malty-bready taste that leaves a sweet aftertaste.

M/D: fairly pleasant in texture and well carbonated for the style. easy drinking Oktoberfest beer...not the best, but one of the better ones.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

Always nice to see the distintive blue/white/orange bottle come out this time of year! The '07 model seems to be appealing to me more than the previous years have. Perhaps my BAness has just given me more appriciation for the malty side of things...

Poured into a SA Lager glass (Thanks Bros and Jim!) a crystal clear, reddish orange topped by a healthy two inches of delicate head (large bubbles, lots of air space) that dissipated fairly quickly... Wonderful spicy nose that somehow made think of football and pumpkins. A little residual heat in the nose as well...
The maltiness is balanced quite well with the Noble hop character. I think that perhaps the hops come through a little more than in previous years... But the balance is so close that I can actually feel the middle of my tongue doing a little dance between it's sweet side and it's bitter side and smacking the roof of my mouth after swallowing. I am a big fan of this beer and can't wait to dirnk a few when the temperature starts to dip into the 40s and I can start donning some Bears gear!!

3.43/5  rDev -6.3%

Amber color with a quickly shrinking off-white colored head. Decent lacing.

Sweet malty/bready aroma with notes of caramel/toffee and some toast.

Tastes of malt, caramel and toast. Light bitterness. Light/medium carbonation.

Tastes best if served cold.

4.2/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of the Boston Beer Company's most drinkable brews. Octoberfest has a delicious pumpkin-spice taste and feels rich like the season it was brewed for in your mouth. The smell and appearance are pretty standard offerings for Sam, nothing too special. But all in all this is a real nice beer.

3.66/5  rDev 0%

A: pours a deep bright copper - perhaps a bit reddish. Nearly no head and minimal lacing. Clean and clear.

S: Sweet Malt

T: Toasted and bready malt goodness

Mf: Medium bodied. Smooth malt taste with a crisp carbonated finish.

D: Smooth and tasty. I could definitely see kicking back a few of these. Very drinkable.

I was relatively happy with this beer. It was distinctly different than the Sam Adams Boston Lager (Vienna Lager) Now if they could stop putting it on shelves in August, it would be a solid OKtoberfest.

3.31/5  rDev -9.6%

Bottle into pint glass. Someone brought a six-pack of this over for a poker game and there was one left. It's relatively dark amber in color, a relatively uninspiring head when poured in a normal way. Not a lot of scent at all really, a little bit of toasted malt but not much. The taste is better though, layers of malt with biscuit and burnt sugar. Quite smooth and easy drinking - overall a solid effort. Considering the price I wouldn't mind picking up a six-pack or two. The lady might like it even more than I do.

Nice touch of caramel to balance out the malts here. Finish is crisp, and the mouth feel is softer than most lagers. For the price point this is a darn good o-fest.

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%

Looks and acts like a regular Sam Adams, a nice orange color with a fine amount of foam and lacing. Smells sweet, malty. Sip is smooth and rich, with a good mouthfeel. Hops are the first thing I notice when sipping, though they don't really have a distinct profile. Taste then turns strongly to a malty caramel flavor that works wel for the style. Sweet, but not cloying or offensive; very drinkable. It doesn't really have that typical 'Sam Adams' taste (noble hops?) which is a slight disappointment for me. Nevertheless, a great beer for the season to mix up in one's usual beer rotation.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

A very light malt aroma noted. Dark copper/orange color in appearance. Very minimual head with moderate bubbles/carbonation, very clear in appearance. Flavor is moderate with a slight bitterness, goes down smooth with no aftertatse. Will drink this every year when it comes out.

3.76/5  rDev +2.7%

This is a much better brew than last years fest.

Typical Sam adams quality.

Nice orange to amber color. Slight hop taste.

An enjoyable quaff that would pair nice with many foods.

The beer is better as I near the half glass - not room temperature but not ice cold.

Enjoy the fall of the year.

4.87/5  rDev +33.1%

I have always have had disappointing experiences with Sam Adams Brews, but this one is an exception. This is the best Sam Adams Brew I ever had, and is on par or better then the German Octoberfest equivalents. I have been to Germany, actually lived ther for 2 years and this beer i as good or better then any German brew. A good representation of this style

I wished they brewed this year round.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap at the Flying Saucer in Memphis, TN....

Appearance: Pours a nice deep reddish brown with a 1 finger head. Not much retention.

Smell: Malty and sweet with some molasses.

Taste: Malty like the style should be. Caramel with a slight slight hint of hops. Excellent rendition of the style.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is well balanced. I really enjoy this beer when it comes out every year. It's a nice change up for all of the IPAs.

4.4/5  rDev +20.2%

Wow! I am surprised I like this beer now. I first tried it a year ago and was unimpressed. However, I have tried many beers in that year and can now say SA Octoberfest will be in my fridge all season. I've had this beer many times this year so I think this is accurate for me:

Poured into my Friar Tuck pint glass

A.Pours a copper-red color with a 1/2" off-white head. Very fine lacing. Head retention is about 30 seconds.

N. Smells malty with some hop aroma although I can't place the hops (my nose is not that talented yet). Smells like other Oktoberfest beers.

T. Initial taste is malty and bready and some hop bitterness is present at the finish which refreshes the palate for the next drink.

M. Moderate carbonation and medium body make this beer enoyable.

D. Overall a solid beer in my opinion. Certainly an Oktoberfest that has earned a place in my fridge. The SA website lists the ABV at 5.3% which helps make the beer very drinkable and sessionable. That being said I'm off for another!

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured into a pint glass. Excellent thick head and a fine deep copper very clear color with ample carbonation.

Served at about 50 degrees. Very creamy with a little less malt than I would have liked at the finish. Tastes fresh and overall a very good drinkable beer that is not too filling and representative of the style. Maybe just a little on the simpler side than I would expect.

3.87/5  rDev +5.7%

A-Clear amber/rust color, one finger white head. The appearence really makes you think of fall, which I guess is the point. A really good looking beer!

S-Biscuits right off the bat, followed by fall oriented scents like nutmeg and pumpkin pie. After taking some really big whiffs I feel like I'm laying in a big pile of leaves!

T-Medium bodied with average carbonation. The classic Marzen spices hit you right off the bat, there's also a surprising salty taste. Finishing very clean with a tad bit of alchohol.

M-Nothing really special here, a bit of carbonation when it first hits the palate, but finishes very silky and clean!

O-Overall one of the best non imperial octoberfests' that I've had, blows Leinenkugel's and Harpoon's versions out of the water. Might take a back seat to Dogtoberfest though...

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Off-white big-bubbled yet sticky head on a brownish tinted amber brew.

Smell: Sweet malty smell.

Taste: A nice round taste. No strong tastes that I can grab on to. Some hops that stay around for a few seconds in the aftertaste. Aftertaste has notes of corn, or rather that of corn-based snacks.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with rather low carbonation.

It's a pretty good beer. Nothing more, nothing less.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Great beer from SA! Love it. It's a nice change of pace from the Summer Ale. I really enjoy this beer. Has an amber color and with the 5.7% has a bit of a kick to it.

The color is very good, typical amber(fall colors). Nice to have when raking leaves as I did today...warms you up on a Fall day.

Enjoy!

3.59/5  rDev -1.9%

My brother recommended this to me as his favorite beer, and although it is good, it ain't all that special.

Like most beers of this type, malts dominate, and they are particularly spicey which is pleasing. The hops are more than a touch too subtle however, almost nonexistent as a matter of factor.

It strikes me as a great session beer if you are looking to do some crushing.

3.93/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance: Rich copper hue with Good Carbonation. Off white 1/4" that dissipated quickly. Clear Beer, to be expected.

Aroma: Sweet Raisins, Malty

Mouthfeel: Rich & heavy in the front and light & crisp in the finish.

Taste: Bread notes and Caramel, Little to no bitterness only enough to balance the beer out. Toasted malt maybe? Slighly sweet but well rounded malt.

Overall: This actually the beer that got me into loving octoberfest style beers. I love when September comes now. It's O-fest season...

2.36/5  rDev -35.5%

Since the cold air has arrived early and October is almost halfway through, I figured I'd better get in some seasonal beers. I drank this Octoberfest at the same time as another so I could sample the differences.

Poured from a 16.6 oz bottle. Little head of foam.

Color: deep copper. clear and clean appearance.

Nose: slight floral tones.

Taste: A little nutty with a slight bit of fruit.

Mouthfeel: not a whole lot there. Very smooth and creamy. Nice finish.

Drinkability: Very easy. Seem to me that this could be a session beer (I could be way off). I could have quite a few. There just didn't seem to be all that much there in this beer. I didn't find it very interesting. Drinkable not flavorful.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

Samuel Adams does it again! Picked this up as a single bottle at a liquor store, and I'm very glad I did! I'm drinking it now and it's a wonderful beer. I can taste the malt and caramel. This is truly one of my favorite beers and I love to have more!

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)