Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,071 | Hads: 7,102
4.2/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of the Boston Beer Company's most drinkable brews. Octoberfest has a delicious pumpkin-spice taste and feels rich like the season it was brewed for in your mouth. The smell and appearance are pretty standard offerings for Sam, nothing too special. But all in all this is a real nice beer.

3.66/5  rDev 0%

A: pours a deep bright copper - perhaps a bit reddish. Nearly no head and minimal lacing. Clean and clear.

S: Sweet Malt

T: Toasted and bready malt goodness

Mf: Medium bodied. Smooth malt taste with a crisp carbonated finish.

D: Smooth and tasty. I could definitely see kicking back a few of these. Very drinkable.

I was relatively happy with this beer. It was distinctly different than the Sam Adams Boston Lager (Vienna Lager) Now if they could stop putting it on shelves in August, it would be a solid OKtoberfest.

3.31/5  rDev -9.6%

Bottle into pint glass. Someone brought a six-pack of this over for a poker game and there was one left. It's relatively dark amber in color, a relatively uninspiring head when poured in a normal way. Not a lot of scent at all really, a little bit of toasted malt but not much. The taste is better though, layers of malt with biscuit and burnt sugar. Quite smooth and easy drinking - overall a solid effort. Considering the price I wouldn't mind picking up a six-pack or two. The lady might like it even more than I do.

Nice touch of caramel to balance out the malts here. Finish is crisp, and the mouth feel is softer than most lagers. For the price point this is a darn good o-fest.

4.19/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Can you find a better Märzen? Absolutely. But can you find one as good or better at this price point, available in pretty much any store that sells beer in the US? Absolutely not. A great seasonal go-to beer that won't empty your wallet.

Look is a brilliant, crystal-clear orange/copper hue that lights up nicely in the right lighting. Moderate carbonation leaves a decent little head that leaves a bit of lacing after it dissipates.

Smell is of warm, roasty malts. Maybe a little hop spice.

Tastes how it smells. A nice malty taste with a bit of spicy noble hop finish. Maybe a fruit (pear?) note. Pleasing malty/bready aftertaste. Mouthfeel is prickly from the carbonation.

Overall, as previously mentioned, this is a fall cornerstone for me. Unless your palate will only accept overly hopped beers, this is a great, well-rounded and enjoyable lager. Makes a really good addition to beer bread, too.

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%

Looks and acts like a regular Sam Adams, a nice orange color with a fine amount of foam and lacing. Smells sweet, malty. Sip is smooth and rich, with a good mouthfeel. Hops are the first thing I notice when sipping, though they don't really have a distinct profile. Taste then turns strongly to a malty caramel flavor that works wel for the style. Sweet, but not cloying or offensive; very drinkable. It doesn't really have that typical 'Sam Adams' taste (noble hops?) which is a slight disappointment for me. Nevertheless, a great beer for the season to mix up in one's usual beer rotation.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

A very light malt aroma noted. Dark copper/orange color in appearance. Very minimual head with moderate bubbles/carbonation, very clear in appearance. Flavor is moderate with a slight bitterness, goes down smooth with no aftertatse. Will drink this every year when it comes out.

3.76/5  rDev +2.7%

This is a much better brew than last years fest.

Typical Sam adams quality.

Nice orange to amber color. Slight hop taste.

An enjoyable quaff that would pair nice with many foods.

The beer is better as I near the half glass - not room temperature but not ice cold.

Enjoy the fall of the year.

4.87/5  rDev +33.1%

I have always have had disappointing experiences with Sam Adams Brews, but this one is an exception. This is the best Sam Adams Brew I ever had, and is on par or better then the German Octoberfest equivalents. I have been to Germany, actually lived ther for 2 years and this beer i as good or better then any German brew. A good representation of this style

I wished they brewed this year round.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap at the Flying Saucer in Memphis, TN....

Appearance: Pours a nice deep reddish brown with a 1 finger head. Not much retention.

Smell: Malty and sweet with some molasses.

Taste: Malty like the style should be. Caramel with a slight slight hint of hops. Excellent rendition of the style.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is well balanced. I really enjoy this beer when it comes out every year. It's a nice change up for all of the IPAs.

4.4/5  rDev +20.2%

Wow! I am surprised I like this beer now. I first tried it a year ago and was unimpressed. However, I have tried many beers in that year and can now say SA Octoberfest will be in my fridge all season. I've had this beer many times this year so I think this is accurate for me:

Poured into my Friar Tuck pint glass

A.Pours a copper-red color with a 1/2" off-white head. Very fine lacing. Head retention is about 30 seconds.

N. Smells malty with some hop aroma although I can't place the hops (my nose is not that talented yet). Smells like other Oktoberfest beers.

T. Initial taste is malty and bready and some hop bitterness is present at the finish which refreshes the palate for the next drink.

M. Moderate carbonation and medium body make this beer enoyable.

D. Overall a solid beer in my opinion. Certainly an Oktoberfest that has earned a place in my fridge. The SA website lists the ABV at 5.3% which helps make the beer very drinkable and sessionable. That being said I'm off for another!

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured into a pint glass. Excellent thick head and a fine deep copper very clear color with ample carbonation.

Served at about 50 degrees. Very creamy with a little less malt than I would have liked at the finish. Tastes fresh and overall a very good drinkable beer that is not too filling and representative of the style. Maybe just a little on the simpler side than I would expect.

3.87/5  rDev +5.7%

A-Clear amber/rust color, one finger white head. The appearence really makes you think of fall, which I guess is the point. A really good looking beer!

S-Biscuits right off the bat, followed by fall oriented scents like nutmeg and pumpkin pie. After taking some really big whiffs I feel like I'm laying in a big pile of leaves!

T-Medium bodied with average carbonation. The classic Marzen spices hit you right off the bat, there's also a surprising salty taste. Finishing very clean with a tad bit of alchohol.

M-Nothing really special here, a bit of carbonation when it first hits the palate, but finishes very silky and clean!

O-Overall one of the best non imperial octoberfests' that I've had, blows Leinenkugel's and Harpoon's versions out of the water. Might take a back seat to Dogtoberfest though...

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Off-white big-bubbled yet sticky head on a brownish tinted amber brew.

Smell: Sweet malty smell.

Taste: A nice round taste. No strong tastes that I can grab on to. Some hops that stay around for a few seconds in the aftertaste. Aftertaste has notes of corn, or rather that of corn-based snacks.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with rather low carbonation.

It's a pretty good beer. Nothing more, nothing less.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Great beer from SA! Love it. It's a nice change of pace from the Summer Ale. I really enjoy this beer. Has an amber color and with the 5.7% has a bit of a kick to it.

The color is very good, typical amber(fall colors). Nice to have when raking leaves as I did today...warms you up on a Fall day.

3.59/5  rDev -1.9%

My brother recommended this to me as his favorite beer, and although it is good, it ain't all that special.

Like most beers of this type, malts dominate, and they are particularly spicey which is pleasing. The hops are more than a touch too subtle however, almost nonexistent as a matter of factor.

It strikes me as a great session beer if you are looking to do some crushing.

3.93/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance: Rich copper hue with Good Carbonation. Off white 1/4" that dissipated quickly. Clear Beer, to be expected.

Aroma: Sweet Raisins, Malty

Mouthfeel: Rich & heavy in the front and light & crisp in the finish.

Taste: Bread notes and Caramel, Little to no bitterness only enough to balance the beer out. Toasted malt maybe? Slighly sweet but well rounded malt.

Overall: This actually the beer that got me into loving octoberfest style beers. I love when September comes now. It's O-fest season...

2.36/5  rDev -35.5%

Since the cold air has arrived early and October is almost halfway through, I figured I'd better get in some seasonal beers. I drank this Octoberfest at the same time as another so I could sample the differences.

Poured from a 16.6 oz bottle. Little head of foam.

Color: deep copper. clear and clean appearance.

Nose: slight floral tones.

Taste: A little nutty with a slight bit of fruit.

Mouthfeel: not a whole lot there. Very smooth and creamy. Nice finish.

Drinkability: Very easy. Seem to me that this could be a session beer (I could be way off). I could have quite a few. There just didn't seem to be all that much there in this beer. I didn't find it very interesting. Drinkable not flavorful.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

Samuel Adams does it again! Picked this up as a single bottle at a liquor store, and I'm very glad I did! I'm drinking it now and it's a wonderful beer. I can taste the malt and caramel. This is truly one of my favorite beers and I love to have more!

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%

A: Carmel colour. Nothing special.

S: Hint of pumpkin.

T: Honestly, kinda bland compared to other Octoberfests.

MF: Average mouthfeel with a bitter aftertaste.

D: I love most of Sam's brews, but I couldn't see myself drinking this all night, even in cool weather.

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A: Short lived dirty-cream head with uneven bubbles and light stickiness. Rich, clear amber with ample carbonation.
S: Subdued. Slightly peppery, toasted malt, hay,
T: Caramel, creme brulee, pear, toast. Slight bitter after taste.
M: Full body with crisp carbonation.
O: Caramel malt is very prominent and there is a slight syrupy sweetness. Overall, tasty and not complex aromatically.

3.36/5  rDev -8.2%

A decent beer for autumn. i wouldnt be super anxious, waiting for this to come out every august through october but it's an average beer. kind of a red amber color but the appearance was my favorite part. go ahead and get a pack or two for your friend's halloween party.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Serving: fridge temp bottle poured into standard pint glass (forgot to check date on bottle)

Appearance: Dark, rich Orange with some red. moderate pour produces a 1 finger off-white head that settles down to some persistent lace. Quite a bit of lacing.

Smell: Light toasted aroma, maybe some bread. A little light.

Taste: Malty overall, a little on the sweet side and not much toastiness. Pretty clean without much complexity.

Feel: Medium-light, not very creamy. Finish is dry and does not overstay its welcome.

Overall: A solid, and dare I say it, commercial version of the Oktoberfest. There are a good number of richer and arguably more flavorful Oktoberfests out there, but at 5.3%, what do you expect? This would be a good idea to pick up as a 12 pack for a football tailgate or something along those lines since many people would find this beer agreeable and nonoffensive. While I would definitely drink this again if someone offered it, I probably would not buy it for myself.

4.11/5  rDev +12.3%

On tap, pint glass.

A - Almost as good as a beer can look. Rich, clear brown body with a tan 1-2 finger head. Very inviting.

S - If there's a weak point for this beer, I guess it has to be this. Not that it's bad, just nothing special - Malty and earthy, very typical of Octoberfest brews.

T - Solid malt profile, very rich but not overpowering. Very subtle alcohol content lets you really taste this brew. Small amount of hops simply to balance the malt, and a very earthy finish. Aftertaste isn't great, but isn't strong either - think 'brown ale,' and that's it. If you can 'taste' fall, this is it.

M - Solid throughout, this one hangs around for a bit after you drink it. Nothing bitter or heavy about it though, just a nice nutty/oak finish, much like a brown ale.

D - Again, can't tell the alcohol content with this one. Nothing keeping you from drinking this beer all afternoon - it's fine alone and can be paired with almost anything - chips, burgers, steaks, chicken - you name it, it'll work.

The best of the seasonal brews from Mr. Adams, by far.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured amber golden color with a small head. Nice smell with a caramel malty taste. This is a very drinkable Marzen and was a plesant surprise to find at a number of restaurants this past September - November. Even though I like Great Lakes or Old Dominion better I will look for this bear again this September.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)