1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Reviews: 1914

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
View: Beers (116) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,942 | Reviews: 1,914 | Show All Ratings:
jpeterman

Kentucky

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

--Poured from a 12 ounce brown bottle into a shaker pint. Drink-By date clearly notched on the neck label.--

Appearance- A strong, but smooth pour yields a fairly sizable, off-white head at first, but this only lingers for maybe a minute and a half. However, it manages a nice, sticky lacing all the way down to the last sip. Nice medium to med./dark copper color, no haze what-so-ever. Off to a great start.

Scent- Wonderful malt in the nose, sweet, but not overly. Also, the hops come in, flowery and robust, yet refined, as they should be. Bready as it warms a bit. A very enticing beer, simply with the nose!

Taste/Mouth Feel/Body- As soon as the beer hits my tongue, I catch the sweet malts in the middle. With careful attention, you can catch each of the five malts with a separate sip. The floral hops and light spice balance with a slight bitter bite, rounding this beer out well with every taste. Also, you catch some bread, and some of the more roasted characteristics of the malts. You catch them at the tip, for sure. Nice medium body, yet crisp and quite refreshing. The weight on the tongue is perfect for the style. It goes down pleasantly; very smooth. Aftertaste is all malt, nice and toasty for those cold autumn afternoons and evenings.

Drinkable?- Absolutely. A six pack on a chilly autumn evening would be bliss. Goes down very easy, and doesn't weigh you down despite it's medium body.

Overall- An excellent representation of the style. Boston Beer Company has a certain winner on their hands with this one. Not only is this beer good for an autumn fall-back, but I would call it an Autumn go-to. Not too heavy, not too light, just right for the season. Certainly makes me look foreword to this time of year.

10-01-2009 05:26:30 | More by jpeterman
rmckay09

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

I am a big fan of Octoberfests, I make it a point to try all kinds from different brewerys whenever I can. This is one is by far the best I have tried. The initial aroma is enjoyable and makes you look forward to the taste that is going to follow. The taste is very smooth and fulfilling with the multitudes of malted barley in it. The drinkability is very high because it is smooth and delicious.

11-07-2010 03:42:15 | More by rmckay09
LBHops62

Georgia

2.68/5  rDev -27%

I was not as impressed with this Octoberfest that I thought that I was going to be. It did not have anything that really stood out to me. The beer was good overall, but did not have anything that hit me hard. To me, it didn't have any charateristics that were different from the norm. I probibly had too high of expectations. It had some of the basic octoberfest characteristics, basically tasting like an average medium lager. I had a high quality of ingredient traits, but it just didn't seem like the ingredient portfolio was very diverse. Just kind of small for a craft ocotberfest in my opinion.

10-28-2011 14:52:12 | More by LBHops62
Bulabeers

3.64/5  rDev -0.8%

2013 release in July. Hmm poured into a mug.
A - It's brown and it's orange. Small bubbles of carbonation racing to the top. Good head retention.
S- Sweet toasted malt. Hops. Subtle but balanced.
T- Nice grain profile, starts sweet and ends with a nice touch of hop bitterness.
M - Medium carbonation. Frothy.
O - I buy 12 bottles every year and I enjoy it every year. It's good. Will try it again next year.

07-26-2013 20:37:02 | More by Bulabeers
ThaSmokinGun

Georgia

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

I was at Oktoberfest in 2004, hit a bunch of tents (including Paulaner), and I have to say that the best bier that year was in the Hacker tent (Hacker and Pschorr have two different tents and two different beers).

That being said, this is the 2nd best Oktoberfest bier I've had. It is hopped a little more crisply than the German versions, but the malt flavor is spot on. This beer loses its head much more quickly than the German ones did, but they don't have much head either. I'd expect to see about a 3/8" to 1/2" on a liter mug.

Mouthfeel is pretty much the same as what I remember from Oktoberfest, but maybe slightly thinner. Or that could just be my mind playing tricks on me. Either way, pretty .... close to style in my mind.

Drinkability is about the same as the Hacker Oktoberfest. Make sure you designate a driver or bring a 6 pack home :)

To me, the extra hops are not an issue, and this is better than the Paulaner Oktoberfest. To the style purist, Paulaner is very slightly closer to style than this beer.

09-23-2006 05:23:55 | More by ThaSmokinGun
HAB

3.18/5  rDev -13.4%

Purchased a six pack at the local grocery store. This beer pours a light amber color. There isn't much smell and the taste is only average in my opinion. Where I think this beer stands out is the drinkability. It is extremely smooth and easy to drink. I feel this seasonal offering is worth a try.

09-30-2006 02:01:56 | More by HAB
bonezx86

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Bought a sixer for the UFC fight tonight. Poured a nice dark copper color with a tan head. Aroma was nothing special with a hint of spice. Taste was primarily malt with some spice, very mild hops. Had a medium body also wasn't too sweet, fairly balanced beer and very drinkabile considering most of the fights didn't go my way.

09-09-2007 05:09:11 | More by bonezx86
Dogsgogrrrr

Tennessee

4.22/5  rDev +15%

Appearance: Light(er) amber brown color with a good, dense head.
Smell: If poured correctly, this beer releases some solid, pleasant esters. A pretty good indicator of what's to come.
Taste: Good, caramel malt backbone with buscuity aftertones. Relatively strong flavor, with minimal bite.
Mouthfeel: An even amount of carbonation, slightly chewy.
Drinkability: Very drinkable.

A great addition to the Samuel Adams family, something to look forward to each fall. I would highly recommend trying this beer, especially if you're unlucky enough to find yourself located in an area plagued by a limited beer selection. If you're a fan of Oktoberfests, give this beer a chance.

09-20-2008 02:27:04 | More by Dogsgogrrrr
karmaghost

3.43/5  rDev -6.5%

Purchased August 31st, 2009. Poured from a bottle into an Imperial Pint glass for kicks.

A - pours a deep orange color with a slightly creamy head that disappears fairly quickly.

S - smells like a typical lager; nothing special

T - didn't notice this until I sat down to taste and write, but the beer has a very faint apple/cidery taste reminiscent of some light lagers I've tasted and brewed. Again, it's faint, but it's there in the back, towards the end.

M - Good carbonation with a texture that's not quite smooth or harsh. Hits the back of your tongue slightly towards the end, but disappears fairly quickly.

D - Like most beers, it depends on what you've had before you've tried this. I've had instances where this beer has been too heavy and made me feel bloated, whereas at the moment, this beer is just right and goes down easy. Stay away from sugary and sweet foods and have this with something like a pizza with mild toppings.

09-01-2009 04:30:41 | More by karmaghost
CAOMarcos

4.08/5  rDev +11.2%

I enjoyed this beer poured from a bottle into a Nodic Glass. The beer poured with a rich amber hue with a thick off-white head. The beer smells of the complex mixture of malts. There is a bit of a harsh quality at first taste, but then the aftertaste has a slight hops spiciness and a defined complex sweetness that is really refreshing. Octoberfest has a lot of carbonation and you definitely feel it on the tongue. I could see myself drinking this beer very often in autumn.

10-06-2009 00:58:44 | More by CAOMarcos
BigBass

4.13/5  rDev +12.5%

I'v been waiting for this to show up at the beer store all month. Last year it came in stock early and i could'nt beleive my eyes. Anyway, I got impatient today and drove an hour roundtrip to get.

Pours a rich brown but not to dark with a descent head that disappears quickly.

Smell is what I'v been waiting for all summer..lots of yeast, bread, toffee. YUM smells like fall is just around the corner.

Taste is similar to the smells with a good amount of carbonation and the alcohol is right up front. Finish is clean and crisp.

The guys at SA worked hard on this one...this is my favorite beer from them and I look forward to it every year.Hopefully they start getting it in around here next week.Cheers.

08-20-2010 00:29:25 | More by BigBass
zassenhausen

Washington

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

First...I must identify myself as an Oktoberfest fan

A-Ruby, nice head, off white, some lacing.

S-Malty, smooth

T-Good, authentic Oktoberfest

M-OK, a little watery, little bubbles.

D-Way too easy to drink. Maybe because I'm fond of Belgian style ales, this was too easy to pour down. Smoooth!

I'm more and more impressed with Sam Adams beers. For a large brewery they do a very good job on many styles.

09-30-2010 02:28:59 | More by zassenhausen
navinsula

Indiana

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

beer was a nice light copper color with a one finger head that didnt last long

the smell was a bit sweet and malt heavy with very little hop aroma

tast is somewhat sweet upfront and a nice dry finish

overall this is a pretty good beer especialy if your looking for something you could drink a few of

08-27-2011 02:47:49 | More by navinsula
DisasterDave

3.05/5  rDev -16.9%

I had high hopes based on the label that says, "5 roasted malts for a rich hearty flavor...." The flavor was pleasant and had the malt flavor as advertised, but not as hearty as I hoped.

In its favor, not a lingering after taste.

It's a beer I would be glad to drink again, but not one I will be excited to tell my friends about.

09-26-2012 03:03:34 | More by DisasterDave
roggia

Brazil

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Beer with amber liquid and little foam little training and short-lived. Liquid with little balls like that has little carbonation thing that is not true because when we drink we realized that this beer has a good carbonation. The aroma notes can notice toffee, biscuit and when I drank I noticed a roasted taste. Media drinkability

09-24-2013 00:07:45 | More by roggia
SDVargo

4.46/5  rDev +21.5%

Honestly, this beer might be my favorite. However that might be skewed because of it only being a limited availability. It has a great color coupled with a smell that just smells like Sam Adams bottled Fall. The flavors go together nicely and will have you trying to figure out what each one is until you get too inebriated to care. I love this beer. And this year I've tried several other brands of Octoberfest beers and found myself preferring this one over all of the others. All of the taste combined with the price makes the beer a hit.

10-28-2013 13:16:40 | More by SDVargo
Octagonal

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Dark amber pour with average head.
The aroma is fruity, hints of apricot, and of spice.
The taste is sweet, not much bitterness, essentially the same fruit and spice flavors. There is a very slight hop finish.
Mouthfeel is medium and creamy.
Allow multiple drinks to get progressively warmer. The sweetness is nice but overpowering after 2 or 3 and the warmer beer tempers that a little. .

09-12-2005 03:32:17 | More by Octagonal
GLD

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

A- Very dark amber, Short lasting head, little to no lacing
S- Little berry almost wine like aroma
T- Slightly sweet, notes of caramel, good malt flavor towards end
M- Light almost dry, Slight bitterness. Very pleasant over all
D- Not too heavy or filling and at 5.4% ABV not too over powering

In all very good example of this style, I find myself looking forward too it's release each year.

08-15-2007 03:17:32 | More by GLD
Bobzilla13

2.63/5  rDev -28.3%

Was feeling kinda seasonal--Fall and all that stuff---saw this sixer so piked up one--poped a top off soon as I got out side ---Totally Red experience--sweet--malty--but watery---Was hoping for a full flavor but the sweet really predominates---but to give it justice poured one into a chilled pint glass--taste came out a little better and it has a Pretty red color--light brown head maybe 2"-- but dissolved rapidly--some thin laceing left upon the glass---Not to bad but could be better---finished off the sixer---3 days later...I would not turn one down and would probably have a few more to be social, but don't think I would stock it in the fridge.

10-07-2007 04:02:33 | More by Bobzilla13
groganb

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured from the bottle into a frozen glass beer mug.

Appearance: Sexy dark amber, two fingers of head that didn't stay for long. Faint, distorted lacing.
Smell: Slightly bread-ish, roasted nuts.
Taste: Caramel, chocolate, a faint hint of roasted malt, topped off with a kiss of hops on the back of the tongue.
Mouthfeel: Decent, not too thin. Nice and smooth.
Drinkability: It went down very well, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. This brew was my introduction into Sam Adams seasonals several years ago. And it remains my favorite. This is one of my main reasons to look forward to the fall each year.

09-09-2008 10:16:22 | More by groganb
lostsurf24

4.78/5  rDev +30.2%

I have to say I have been and will always be a big fan of this brew. It's become a staple in our fall traditions to sit around a fire or go to a party and always make sure we have a few cases of this to go around. With that said...

A: Darker Amber colored with a nice fall hue to it.

S: Very malty with a hint of spices.

T: There certainly is a sweet malty taste to this brew. This years seems to bit a bit maltier and sweeter compared to last. Spices also kick in along with a bit of a hop finish to balance out this brew. Is this screaming fall or what???

M: Good mouthfeel. Somewhat heavier but not overbearing for the season. This is how autumn should feel AND taste!

D: Again like I said before this one holds a special place in my heart. I could drink many of these in a sitting or pair it with the right foods at dinner. I think thats why I rate this one so high. It tastes good, easy to drink, and
I can pair it well with some many foods and deserts. It's almost a go to beer for me this time of year.

I will always consider this one to be an excellent brew.

10-24-2008 15:03:34 | More by lostsurf24
phunknerd

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

12 oz. bottle

A -- Nice deep orange color, not much head, lighter than I expected.

S -- Sweetish, almost a little yeasty, really pleasant.

T -- Disclaimer: I don't know the style very well. That said, I thought it had some nice toasty notes in there, but it was a little unbalanced at the end. Something about the way it hits the back of the tongue clashes just a bit.

M -- Pleasantly full. Not unique or overpowering in any way, but professional and smooth. One of those interesting beers where you like the taste when you burp.

D -- Greater than the sum of its parts. I'm reviewing the second bottle I've had tonight, and I may yet have a third.

09-13-2009 22:41:33 | More by phunknerd
Fazulka

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

Good beer - I've had it before and bought a case of bottles. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance - Poured with some head that dissolved quickly and left no lacing on the glass. The beer looks exactly as an Octoberfest beer should - a rich dark amber color.

Smell - Rich strong smell of malt, molasses and caramel. I don't detect hops.

Taste - Tasting this reminds me of the brewing process. The taste is a nice grainy / barley / cereal taste that makes me think of tasting the used grains after the mash. There is a present malt taste. There is an aftertaste of the beer that makes me think of Sam Adams Boston lager, although not nearly as strong.

Mouthfeel - The beer is smooth, and thick. There is a light carbonation, but it is not under carbonated.

Drinkability - Easy to drink for a fairly strong beer. The low carbonation makes it go down easily.

08-17-2010 04:05:38 | More by Fazulka
Brewingbanjos

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

A nice orange color and very clear. The taste is rich and bettery with malt. The mouthfeel fades quick despite the maltiness. The nose is clean with a slight hint of acorn squash. This is personal favorite to grab once a year just because it feels like it helps usher in the fall. This makes for a nice easy going Oktoberfest brew.

09-21-2010 04:32:13 | More by Brewingbanjos
Coji

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

This beer should be sold year round, but I do enjoy the treat during the autumn. Its limited availability is part of why this beer remains a hot commodity. My initial pour developed a medium-sized head. It was a light tan, but it dissipated quickly and did not leave any lacing on the glass. I was disappointed with that aspect of the beverage. The color however, was awesome. A slightly burnt amber represents the season very well and it was a beautiful welcome to the beverage.

The aroma was good, possibly because I knew what to expect. If I tried to be objective, the smell is not great, but still good. Octoberfest is lightly carbonated, producing a good mouthfeel, but it was not as smooth as it could have been. While drinking the beer, it is difficult to tell the alcohol content, but after a couple of glasses, it become prevalent. This is one of my favorite beers and I am sad to see its season come to an end.

11-04-2010 23:54:11 | More by Coji
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)