Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,021 | Hads: 6,826
3.6/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours the colors of Autumn, its a really nice looking beer. Has a creamy head and good carbonation. Smell is very faint and not much going on, I expected to smell the 5 malts stronger than this. Taste is delicious with malts. No single overpowering malt flavor just a complex of many malt flavors. Mouthfeel is almost perfect for this style with a slight creaminess. Overall its a great beer that I enjoyed the more I drank it. Will be a definite buy every fall. (462 characters)

I dont think there can be better. Felt the hint of fall in the air and cracked open one. Ahh just like last years flavor. Almost like dinking that Fall feeling. Sweet flavor of spices and a very pleasant lingering after taste. Thumbs up Sam!! (246 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is another rendition of Sam Adams Octoberfest yet again. It is a solid brew all the way, regardless of what some may say. It is readily available and inexpensive. It is tasty and golden and malty and a little sweet or caramelish on finish. It is mild and easy to drink and without a high alcohol content. After the 3rd one you'll know it though. This is a great beer on tap to have at restaurants with a good sandwich or appetizer and such. (445 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -16.9%

Saw this and Goose Island's version at the grocery tonight and decided to pick up a sixer of each. This beer is everything I feel an Oktoberfest SHOULDN'T be...mild flavor, light color, poor head retention and lacing, not much by way of malty goodness. This beer would not be bad as a session beer, but I hold seasonals and especially Oktoberfests to a higher standard (simply because there are so many from which to choose), and this just has nothing going for it. Pales in comparison to the Goose and almost every other Oktoberfest I've had. But, it's better than Budweiser. I actually prefer the standard Sam Adams lager to this beer! (637 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +13.9%

A - Deep dark golden amber color that has a slight reddish hue to it. The white frothy head disapears quick but the brew continues to bubble due to the carbonation.

S - Sourdough-esque with a rich bounty of spices. Slight orangey smell up front that gives way to the rest of the scents. The smell is quite inviting and makes you want to take a sip.

T - This brew tastes just like it smells. Sourdoughy with the great array of spice. The spice sticks around for a while and then disapears into a great long lasting aftertaste that just begs for another drink.

M - Carbonation is heavy and the beer is very crisp. Not a lot of body but quite refreshing.

D - This brew posses the ability to allow me to drink it all night. It is very crisp, tasty and light. A 6-pack is easily drank in one sitting with this great brew. (820 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +30.3%

This brew is most attractive with it's fall time golden orange hew. The most aromatic drink on the face of the planet. My sense of smell is non existant, while this brew emits a wonderful scent that even I can smell. The flavors go on and on. I can't identify what they are, but they are great. I could drink these all thru the autumn. In fact, I probably will. This beer is not to be missed and definately savored for this season. Highl, highly recommended. (458 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +19.7%

A: Poured from bottle to glass, a beautiful dark reddish brown, with two fingers of beautiful cream/off white head.

S: Malt, and lots of it, there are some subtle herb, or hop aromas in the background

T: Sweet upfront, then a bit toffee and biscuit flavor, and finally a bit of hop bitterness to close it out nicely.

M: A nice medium body, not over the top and too heavy, but far from light, so yeah I'll say medium body.

O: I love this beer, it's big a malty brew, with just enough hops to balance it all out. It's no wonder Sam Adams has been producing this every year since 1989. (586 characters)

Sam Adams Octoberfest.

I'll probably catch a lot of crap from the beer snobs but I expect it to be overridden by mass adulation from the people in my area (boston) for how high I rate this, and granted my views are skewed by a nostalgic feel this beer gives me, but I think this is a tremendous Americanized interpretation of the classic German Marzen for which it’s styled after. I don’t have a lot of other beers of this style to compare it to so maybe it’s the absolute bottom feeder of it’s class, but we’ll overlook my naivety and just focus on the beer itself.

One of Sam Adams more popular seasonal brews Octoberfest pours a dark ruby red that softly fades into a medium bodied copper. Poured at a finger and a half head into an Octoberfest styled dimpled beer mug (thanks Michele) my nostalgic side takes over as the summer humidity is immediately sucked from the room and the crisp apple picking morning fall air is ushered in in a zephyr of fall winds with the falling autumn leaves dropping at my feet, Glorious!

Beer has a chewy citrus to toffee flavor that finishes thick and sticks to the pallet and throat. Tastes like a 1 pm Sunday afternoon football kickoff…. Or a caramelized sugar coated and pan fried pear chased with heavy malts.
Smell is similar and quite appeakling

To me this beer *IS* fall. Popping open a can or bottle of this closes the door on BBQs and beach parties. Days at the pool and drenching humidity and ushers in football, leaf raking, frosted morning windshields and hoodie weather.

Cheers! (1,558 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +11.7%

One of my favorite things about Boston in the fall is this beer. It mixes perfectly with the layers of red and orange and brown that carry through the air, with a taste full of spice (lots of cinnamon and nutmeg and pumpkin). Should be served a little bit warmer than one might be used to, just to evoke the harvest flavors.

Color's a nice golden tan with a nose that betrays the somewhat syrupy sweetness that follows up the first wave of taste.

Overall, Sam does a good job capturing Boston's fall in a bottle. Now, I'd prefer something like Smuttynose Pumpkin or Ipswich Harvest, but it's a very workable fall brew. (626 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +14.2%

Got this out of an 8-pack of different Oktoberfests.

The apperance is a perfect dark amber with a nice two finger head that stuck around for a while.

The smell is good, caramel and grain.

The taste is great, sweet grains and caramel malt.

The mouthfeel is perfect, enough carbonation to make your mouth tingle but not too much. Nice and thick.

I've never had a problem drinking a bunch of these in one sitting. (418 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +30.3%

Great color, pours well.

This is a solid example of a "Sam Adamsized" brew--this beer is decidedly an Octoberfest, and unquestionably a Sam Adams.

Pleasing nose, nice complexity for the price. Amazing drinkability. I consider this one of Sam Adam's best, nearly on-par with a few of the "major" craft brews. (310 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Definitely amber in color. Kinda golden amber.
Smell: Musky and sweet. Definitely got some malt in this one.
Taste: Kinda sweet. Not too bitter. Definitely malty. Like a malted caramel.
Mouthfeel: Goes down very easy - like water...with hops, yeast, malt, barley and likely a couple other grains. Light carbonation.

Imagine the surprise Sam Adams had after InBev bought Anheuser-Bush, and they, Sam Adams (an American Craft Brewery) were now the largest American owned brewery in the states! Pretty cool, eh? Okay - about the beer. Wasn't bad at all, and somewhat traditional for an Octoberfest Ale. Wanna learn more about that? Click here. Kinda sweet, not too hoppy - more malty. It was light and easy though, not terribly filling. I could easily drink a couple of these. But it wasn't so great that it'd be the only beer I'd want at a bar with 15 taps. Worth tryin' though. (889 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +34.4%

Call me a sucker for a mass produced Octoberfest, but this brew is awesome! Great color, great malt nose and flavor. This brew is a favorite among malt heads. Spaten is drier, Ayinger is malty yet one dimensional. Sam Adams seems to hit on all cylinders. I buy this beer and cellar it throughout the year. "Never leave home without it!!!!" (339 characters)

I first had Sam Adam's October Fest offering my sophomore year of college. It was a welcome change from all that Bud Light, let me tell you!

Pours a light copper color, perfect for autumn. Smells of carmel and malt. Taste is reminiscent of brown sugar, along with caramel and malt. Somewhat dry; begs for you to take another sip.

Overall, a fine brew to enjoy when the weather turns a bit cooler and when there's football on tv. Enjoy! (437 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +14.8%

as oktoberfest brews are my favorite, this one is one of the better oktoberfests brewed in the u.s. that i've had. good amount of malt, as an oktoberfest should have. amount of bitterness from the hops is just right. mouthfeel is good. i could drink several of these in an afternoon without a problem. (301 characters)

I've never been too found of Sam Adams beers, but I hadn't tried their Oktoberfest before so I thought I'd give it chance. I expected more flavor and a fuller body. The body was weak and the toasty maltiness that a marzen should have just wasn't there. I think this would be more appropriatetly called Samuel Adams Octoberfest LIGHT. But it's still the best Sam Adams beer I've had. (382 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +23%

A: Pours a deep coppery color

S: Sweet and a hint of spices/pumpkin

T: I liked the taste from the get go. Smooth and flavorful with a hint of carmel and reminds me of thanksgiving.

M: crisp and well balanced for a seasonal brew.

D: Very pleasing and a great seasonal brew! I look forward to this every season and recommend an earlier release than waiting until it is towards it's end of shelf life. But I recommend that on all beers!

I like this better than most seasonal offerings with the exception of Shipyards pumpkin head. enjoy! (549 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +7.4%

Very impressive beer. While it's not as sweet as a true Octoberfest, this is perfect for the American palate.

A= Beautiful. Golden brown intermingled with a lighter reddish brown. Terrific head and nice lacing.

S=Very pleasant fruity scent.

T= I would like a little more of the syrupy sweetness (if the beer had more of a flavor like its scent it would be just about perfect). It's still excellent. Hops are present but are not overpowering. Finally, a balanced beer.

M/D= Thicker than I expected, which was a nice surprise. It's a sipping beer, but you could put away a couple easily. (598 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served at 50 degree F.

Appearance: Nice dark amber coloring with slightly over 1 inch head

Smell: Great malty smell, hints of caramel and toast

Taste: As a true Marzan style beer, the malt speaks volume here. Also get an added caramel note or two. Okay bitterness. Easy drinking. Big positive for me is the pleasent aftertaste, which is oncommon for beers served at warmer temperatures

Mouthfeel: October's approaching, which means the beers are getting heavier and fuller. Medium bodied, decent bitterness. Definitely coats the mouth before going down. Very enjoyable

Overall: I am a huge Marzan fan, and an advocate for all types of fall beers. As far as Samuel Adam's Octoberfest goes, I find that it is the best Marzan for its value. Some German imports can tend to get pricy, and Sams Octoberfest sells for about a $1.66 a bottle.. Cheers! (849 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: A clear, dark copper body with one finger of somewhat lasting head that dissipated into a thin layer of foam. Decent lacing.

Smell: Sweet malt, caramel, roasty.

Taste: Follows nose very closely, roasty, malty, caramel. Next to no hops present, but far from being overly sweet.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy, yet very drinkable. This beer has moderate carbonation and no alcohol detectable on the palate.

Overall: There's nothing that I can say bad about this beer, yet not a whole lot that I am overwhelmed by. This is a highly drinkable, enjoyable beer that warrants multiples at a party or other get together. There is some amount of excitement surrounding this beer's release every year that can only be justified by it being the most readily available yet tasty example of this style. (808 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +15%

My personal favorite beer. Wonderfully balanced warm aroma that gently whiffs of the hop character. Beautiful slightly browned head, and a lovely amber color. The warmth of the malt followed by a smoothly bitter hop bite comes on nicely, and leaves only a slight aftertaste making you want more. Not too heavy, but definitely nowhere near what you'd call light. Perfect compliment to a meal, or to be consumed on it's own. (422 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +9.8%

This is a VERY beer - very malty, very fruity, very sweet, and very good.

Pours to a red, amber color that resolves to a thin head, and there's definitely a lack of any head retention here. That's a shame.

Has a sweet, malty aroma, with a touch of caramel.

There's very little active carbonation here. It makes the beer appear almost flat. However, there is a distinct mouthfeel, and a long, lingering aftertaste - akin to just having had some good, sweet Chinese food, or a facefull of cotton candy, or the like... albeit laced with a touch of hops and malt.

But this is supposed to be an Oktoberfest Märzen. The problem is, the true Märzens that I've had in/from Munich taste and look nothing like this, or vice versa. Frankly, I'm not quite sure if this is really an Oktobefest Märzen at all, other than the fact that its a seasonal Fall beer and shares the namesake.

Still, I like it, and will buy it, and drink it. It's that good. (953 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

A- Poured a wonderful dark copper with a frothy and attractive off-white head.

S- Smell is layers of malt with caramel, toffee, and doughy notes dominating.

T & M - Sweet and bready malt notes are kept in check by hop bitterness. Hint of herbal hop flavor. Finishes with caramel and metallic? notes. Mouth feel was a little thin.

D- I really wanted more malt flavor in this lager. The whole experience seemed subdued. Past years were more impressive. (454 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +1.4%

Appearance: Pours a nice dark orange to copper color. Head pours to about 1/2" and has large bubbles, no creaminess. Dissipates to nothing in less than a minute. No lacing to speak of.

Smell: Not much there. I get hints of fruits but they are not strong enough to distinguish. No smell of alcohol. Smells very thin and light.

Taste: As anticipated very light and balanced. No overpowering hops or malts. Slight citrus to grassy taste. The malt combination is very nice and balanced. The finish is quite bold and holds most of the taste in this beer.

Mouthfeel: Kind of dry and carbonated. I feel very light carbonation on the tongue and the finish leaves me wanting more.

Drinkability: Very easy drinking. Nice beer for a fall day. Nothing overpowering just a smooth, light taste representative of a nice cool autumn day. I like this beer and I am not a huge Sam Adams fan. I would drink this again and will probably go buy another sixer after I finish this one. (977 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

after a long day working and screwin around the house, I needed a beer that cost over 15 dollars a case. bought a case of samuel adams octoberfest "cold" but the first one I opened was warma s hell. so I put it on ice for a half hour and poured one into a pilsner glass. Very nice color, a little darker which I liked. Taste is very nice and it looks tempting to drink fast but definately a thicker brew. Overall i liked it and will continue buying this seasonal beer from sam adams. (483 characters)

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)