Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,700 | Reviews: 2,063
3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

I remember having this beer many years ago and it sort of changed my outlook on German beers. Now, I know this is an American beer, but it's a German style, and now that I've developed more of a palate for beers of all types, coming back to it I find myself less mesmerized, but still enjoying the experience.

It looks good - nice amber hues. The head is pretty week, but it retains lacing. It looks like changing leaves of Fall.

Smells very spicy to the nose. One of the best qualities of the beer - instantly reminds you of pumpkins, nutmeg, the Fall air, etc.

The taste is less than I remember. Not less as in bland, more so it is less of an Oktoberfest taste (or Marzen taste) than I would like. It's very sweet - not sickly so, but less complex than say a Paulaner or a Spaten. Now, to be fair, Paulaner or Spaten may taste more watery - but that makes it easier to drink, in my opinion. Lots of spice notes to this one, some caramel - not bad at all, but maybe a bit too strong?

The taste carries over into the feel. It lingers on the tongue, but not in a completely satisfying way. I say this after having put back a few Paulaners (my favorite) so maybe my taste is a bit jaded. Will have to revisit this one tomorrow on a clear palate.

Overall, a good beer for the fall. Easily available gives it more points, and the fact that it's an American take on a German style that doesn't sacrifice any flavor gives it more points too.

I recommend trying it, especially for novices.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

I can't say anything that hasn't been said before; so I won't. It's a good jumping off point for O'fest style beers, but there are better offerings. Also, as one of the Alstrom bros. stated, I feel this beer has been subtly changing from year to year. It's 2014, and this is not the same beer I first tried back in 2006(ish). I can't put my finger on it, but it has definitely been changing over time.

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

beer was a nice light copper color with a one finger head that didnt last long

the smell was a bit sweet and malt heavy with very little hop aroma

tast is somewhat sweet upfront and a nice dry finish

overall this is a pretty good beer especialy if your looking for something you could drink a few of

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

A- pours bright and shiney like a penny witg a little more on the red side

s - smell isn't much.. A little grain smell butnot much.

T - not bad.. Malt comes through averagely strong at first, levels out with a sweet syrupy taste.

M - fairly light feeling, but a little more weight than a domestic light beer.

D - quite drinkable. Not overwhelming at all.. I've had two here at the bar while I wait for the girl to show up, and I could go for a third.

Overall I'm not blown away, but I'm not dissapointed either. A somewhat tasty, but light and drinkable brew suits me quite well on this cool October afternoon.

Great beer For Marzen lovers

ThomasMetal75 hit the nail on the head.

Giving it a 4/5 because my mom also liked it, and she doesn't like beer usually.

4.09/5  rDev +11.4%

Love it around autumn time . Gets me in the mood for fall and the holidays. Nice Amber color and good taste. Definitely a go to beer at that time of year. Nostalgic for me

3.4/5  rDev -7.4%

Clear brownish orange color. Little head , some lacing. O.k. nose fruity - apple & banana. Malt was toasty carmel like. Sour toasted malt tasting. Some linguring bitterness A little on the creamy side. Very drinkable. Could drink them all afternoon. It a O.K. beer, certainly a traditional kinda octoberfest. Not really exciting either though.

3.79/5  rDev +3.3%

A - 3-finger slightly tan-white head from a hard pour. Very red - copper - amber color. Beautiful. Clear and gorgeous.

S - Malts spiced with floral/fruity hints and a bit of hops. Could use to be a little more robust.

T - Sweet, smooth (but not creamy) malts. Hidden hops. Bit of alcohol.

M - Just right. Full of character, but not too thick. Smooth and robust but not overwhelming or oily.

D - An easy drink. I could put down a number of these in a row, and never get tired of it.

This has got to be one of my all-time favorites. I look forward to autumn knowing that Octoberfest will once again hit the shelves. Good job, Boston Brewing Co.!!!

3.56/5  rDev -3%

Nice medium dark brown color. Clear with nice wheat colored head about 1" disipating quickly. Average carbonation.

Smells like beer should smell with a slight amount of grain.

Tastes better than I expected. I am usually not a big fan of Sam Adams but this is very nice. Noticable malt and caramel flavors come through. Almost no bitterness. Finishes very nicely provoking another drink.

Smoothe and fairly light.

Very drinkable, I am about half way through the six pack and it has been very consistant. Its good but not really growing on me any more than the first impression. Probably will move on once they are gone and won't buy any more any time soon.

3.26/5  rDev -11.2%

Orange copper color with a white creamy head.
It tastes a lot like an Cream Ale but with a hop bitterness. I like the flavor, but it doesn't quite seem like an octoberfest. Well brewed, clean flavors but not sure its an octoberfest. I like this & find it easy and pleasant to drink. But i'm not sure I would buy this again when there are many better octoberfests out there. Was a little disappointed as i'm a fan of Sam Adams beers. That being said its not a bad beer.

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

this beer is a beautiful dark brown amber color. very clear with carbonation bubbles on the side of the class. it has a wonderful sweet and malty smell. and the same with the taste. the sweetness carries out to an almost pumpkin taste, but very delicious all together. smooth and lightly carbonated, this beer is very drinkable!!!

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours the colors of Autumn, its a really nice looking beer. Has a creamy head and good carbonation. Smell is very faint and not much going on, I expected to smell the 5 malts stronger than this. Taste is delicious with malts. No single overpowering malt flavor just a complex of many malt flavors. Mouthfeel is almost perfect for this style with a slight creaminess. Overall its a great beer that I enjoyed the more I drank it. Will be a definite buy every fall.

I dont think there can be better. Felt the hint of fall in the air and cracked open one. Ahh just like last years flavor. Almost like dinking that Fall feeling. Sweet flavor of spices and a very pleasant lingering after taste. Thumbs up Sam!!

3.1/5  rDev -15.5%

An exceptionally smooth and tasty Oktoberfest beer.

3.04/5  rDev -17.2%

Saw this and Goose Island's version at the grocery tonight and decided to pick up a sixer of each. This beer is everything I feel an Oktoberfest SHOULDN'T be...mild flavor, light color, poor head retention and lacing, not much by way of malty goodness. This beer would not be bad as a session beer, but I hold seasonals and especially Oktoberfests to a higher standard (simply because there are so many from which to choose), and this just has nothing going for it. Pales in comparison to the Goose and almost every other Oktoberfest I've had. But, it's better than Budweiser. I actually prefer the standard Sam Adams lager to this beer!

4.17/5  rDev +13.6%

A - Deep dark golden amber color that has a slight reddish hue to it. The white frothy head disapears quick but the brew continues to bubble due to the carbonation.

S - Sourdough-esque with a rich bounty of spices. Slight orangey smell up front that gives way to the rest of the scents. The smell is quite inviting and makes you want to take a sip.

T - This brew tastes just like it smells. Sourdoughy with the great array of spice. The spice sticks around for a while and then disapears into a great long lasting aftertaste that just begs for another drink.

M - Carbonation is heavy and the beer is very crisp. Not a lot of body but quite refreshing.

D - This brew posses the ability to allow me to drink it all night. It is very crisp, tasty and light. A 6-pack is easily drank in one sitting with this great brew.

4.77/5  rDev +30%

This brew is most attractive with it's fall time golden orange hew. The most aromatic drink on the face of the planet. My sense of smell is non existant, while this brew emits a wonderful scent that even I can smell. The flavors go on and on. I can't identify what they are, but they are great. I could drink these all thru the autumn. In fact, I probably will. This beer is not to be missed and definately savored for this season. Highl, highly recommended.

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%

A: Poured from bottle to glass, a beautiful dark reddish brown, with two fingers of beautiful cream/off white head.

S: Malt, and lots of it, there are some subtle herb, or hop aromas in the background

T: Sweet upfront, then a bit toffee and biscuit flavor, and finally a bit of hop bitterness to close it out nicely.

M: A nice medium body, not over the top and too heavy, but far from light, so yeah I'll say medium body.

O: I love this beer, it's big a malty brew, with just enough hops to balance it all out. It's no wonder Sam Adams has been producing this every year since 1989.

Sam Adams Octoberfest.

I'll probably catch a lot of crap from the beer snobs but I expect it to be overridden by mass adulation from the people in my area (boston) for how high I rate this, and granted my views are skewed by a nostalgic feel this beer gives me, but I think this is a tremendous Americanized interpretation of the classic German Marzen for which it’s styled after. I don’t have a lot of other beers of this style to compare it to so maybe it’s the absolute bottom feeder of it’s class, but we’ll overlook my naivety and just focus on the beer itself.

One of Sam Adams more popular seasonal brews Octoberfest pours a dark ruby red that softly fades into a medium bodied copper. Poured at a finger and a half head into an Octoberfest styled dimpled beer mug (thanks Michele) my nostalgic side takes over as the summer humidity is immediately sucked from the room and the crisp apple picking morning fall air is ushered in in a zephyr of fall winds with the falling autumn leaves dropping at my feet, Glorious!

Beer has a chewy citrus to toffee flavor that finishes thick and sticks to the pallet and throat. Tastes like a 1 pm Sunday afternoon football kickoff…. Or a caramelized sugar coated and pan fried pear chased with heavy malts.
Smell is similar and quite appeakling

To me this beer *IS* fall. Popping open a can or bottle of this closes the door on BBQs and beach parties. Days at the pool and drenching humidity and ushers in football, leaf raking, frosted morning windshields and hoodie weather.

Cheers!

4.09/5  rDev +11.4%

One of my favorite things about Boston in the fall is this beer. It mixes perfectly with the layers of red and orange and brown that carry through the air, with a taste full of spice (lots of cinnamon and nutmeg and pumpkin). Should be served a little bit warmer than one might be used to, just to evoke the harvest flavors.

Color's a nice golden tan with a nose that betrays the somewhat syrupy sweetness that follows up the first wave of taste.

Overall, Sam does a good job capturing Boston's fall in a bottle. Now, I'd prefer something like Smuttynose Pumpkin or Ipswich Harvest, but it's a very workable fall brew.

4.18/5  rDev +13.9%

Got this out of an 8-pack of different Oktoberfests.

The apperance is a perfect dark amber with a nice two finger head that stuck around for a while.

The smell is good, caramel and grain.

The taste is great, sweet grains and caramel malt.

The mouthfeel is perfect, enough carbonation to make your mouth tingle but not too much. Nice and thick.

I've never had a problem drinking a bunch of these in one sitting.

4.77/5  rDev +30%

Great color, pours well.

This is a solid example of a "Sam Adamsized" brew--this beer is decidedly an Octoberfest, and unquestionably a Sam Adams.

Pleasing nose, nice complexity for the price. Amazing drinkability. I consider this one of Sam Adam's best, nearly on-par with a few of the "major" craft brews.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Definitely amber in color. Kinda golden amber.
Smell: Musky and sweet. Definitely got some malt in this one.
Taste: Kinda sweet. Not too bitter. Definitely malty. Like a malted caramel.
Mouthfeel: Goes down very easy - like water...with hops, yeast, malt, barley and likely a couple other grains. Light carbonation.

Imagine the surprise Sam Adams had after InBev bought Anheuser-Bush, and they, Sam Adams (an American Craft Brewery) were now the largest American owned brewery in the states! Pretty cool, eh? Okay - about the beer. Wasn't bad at all, and somewhat traditional for an Octoberfest Ale. Wanna learn more about that? Click here. Kinda sweet, not too hoppy - more malty. It was light and easy though, not terribly filling. I could easily drink a couple of these. But it wasn't so great that it'd be the only beer I'd want at a bar with 15 taps. Worth tryin' though.

4.92/5  rDev +34.1%

Call me a sucker for a mass produced Octoberfest, but this brew is awesome! Great color, great malt nose and flavor. This brew is a favorite among malt heads. Spaten is drier, Ayinger is malty yet one dimensional. Sam Adams seems to hit on all cylinders. I buy this beer and cellar it throughout the year. "Never leave home without it!!!!"

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)