2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Reviews: 1914

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,951 | Reviews: 1,914 | Show All Ratings:
Brian50Oshen1

3.15/5  rDev -14.2%

seems to have last something from the last two years..Much less to enjoy.
I wonder if corners are being cut.
Last years Winter took a fall in my opinion as well.
I enjoyed the other Marzens better.
Try the narraganset fest if its available.
A pleasant newcomer. ( to me anyway )

09-10-2011 22:30:10 | More by Brian50Oshen1
MeatHunter

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

We are fortunate enough to have a fantastic liquor store with an awesome variety of craft beers. Over the years, I have tried many beers from Sam Adams and to me, they all had one familiar taste. HOPS. Don't get me wrong, I like hops, when it's applicable to the style, but it just seems like Sam Adams uses them liberally in most of their beers. The other day I decide to pick up a 6 pack of Octoberfest. Have wanted to try this for some time as Octoberfest/Marzen is one of my favorite if not THE favorite style of beer.

All I can say is WOW. Truly impressed. Now I may be a bit biased on my review being that this particular style sits well with me, but there was nothing out of place with it.

Color. A perfect clear Amber.
Mouthfeel. Not malty, not watery.
Taste. Sweet, but not. Biscuit flavor/smell initially. A subtle sweetness on the backside.

This is a beer, in my opinion, that should appeal to all palates. I WILL be stocking up on this one.

10-21-2011 01:54:31 | More by MeatHunter
jkeeney2010

4.55/5  rDev +24%

Probably my favorite beer unfortunately it's only available in the fall

Have only had this beer out of the bottle but would love to try it on tap which I am going to do this coming fall.

This beer is fall in a glass everything you can ask for in a seasonal beer, Well-bodied and a full flavor that leaves you wanting another sip/taste/bottle.

My favorite Sam Adams beer out of the ones I have tried

04-19-2012 09:49:16 | More by jkeeney2010
asteroidgalaxy

I look forward to this every year. Most of the places I go for beer have way too many IPA. Don't get me wrong I still love IPA but it is very refreshing to have something different. This is one of the best fall beers around. Good starting point for people new to craft beer.

08-12-2013 17:53:16 | More by asteroidgalaxy
RhinoDBJ

Wisconsin

2.13/5  rDev -42%

I'll preface my comments by saying I don't consider myself an expert in any kind of specific beer, but I do feel that I'm developing a more "qualified" eval of certain types (probably 'cause I like them the most!) ... and the Oktoberfest is up on the top of those beers I think I know.

The Sam Adams is a totally "un-rememberable" brew. The nose is underwhelming, and the taste and mouth feel don't help the first impressions at all.

I'll not be bringing any of these home...

08-31-2013 22:26:15 | More by RhinoDBJ
rjcohen

3.26/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Very pretty beer. A deep fall-leaf orange, off-white head, minimal lacing on glass.

Smell: Not a very deep aroma. Malt, bread.

Taste: This is not a very flavorful beer at all. I've started to pick up more fruity flavors as I've drank more of this, but it is still not too interesting - kind of an undefined fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, not over-carbonated. The lightness is very pleasant actually.

Overall: This is a pleasant beer that will remind you of the season, but it does not have the flavor to back it up in repeated drinking.

10-30-2013 03:04:36 | More by rjcohen
neomantra

Maryland

3.11/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

One of my first non-BMC beers. I'll always have a soft spot for this one. It's not an amazing beer for my tastes but a great example of the style. Nice clear amber color with a malty finish, but not cloying. A solid choice at many bars that don't carry much in the way of craft beer.

11-30-2013 21:25:09 | More by neomantra
ocpathfinder

2.58/5  rDev -29.7%

2004 Release

Presentation: brown bottle with "best by" date notched on label

Appearance: Pours clear copper. Decent sized head which settled quickly and left no lacing.

Smell: Lots of malt. Little bit of fruit and perhaps some corn/corn adjunct.

Taste: Starts out slightly sweet and malty. Finishes rather watery, with lingering aftertaste.

Drinkability: Wouldn't want more than a couple in one sitting. Probably wouldn't buy again.

10-13-2004 05:54:06 | More by ocpathfinder
GreatSatchmo

This is a varietal of beer that I have yet to delve into very deeply, so this is based on narrow experience. I poured from a 12oz bottle into a tall, strait Sam Adams glass. The color was beatiful burnt orange and brown, fits perfectly with the season. The head was thing and off white, and disappeared fairly quickly. The nose was of biscut, no descernable hops (as I assume is how this should go). Taste was simple, and enjoyable. Sweet and smooth, with a mouthfeel slightly lighter than I'd like, although not far enough off as for me to use "watery" to describe it. The finish is warm and smooth.

This beer fits the season and is extremely drinkable. Even better: its available almost anywhere you'll find burr, so its something you can enjoy without any searching.

09-11-2006 17:36:46 | More by GreatSatchmo
gameat10

4.78/5  rDev +30.2%

I remember drinking this at the airport Max and Erma's. After drinking a tall glass of it, i immediately became hooked on it. When i got back from Europe, the first thing i did was pick up a six pack of this and nearly drank the whole thing in 2 days. The appearance had a nice dark orange hue to it. The smell had a presence of caramel. Taste is amazing, i could drink 5 of these in one sitting if possible. This is definitely a beer i can get along with. cheers jim! :)

03-16-2007 02:58:49 | More by gameat10
larcoal

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

One of the Sam standards, yet only issued in the fall. I can drink this any day, all day. It has quite a lot of body, yet is not as filling as some and there's certainly no "bite" to the taste. A fresh 'fest will give you a nice creamy head that should last through most or all of the drink, depending on your thirst. I recommend everyone pick up a few 12-packs yearly.

If you're trying to convert a friend away from standard US domestics, this isn't a stretch. Have them try a few. If we all band together, we can stamp out Miller Lite forever!

02-15-2008 20:08:18 | More by larcoal
FGCUkyleOz

3.78/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Orange-ish red, slightly tan head about 1 finger width tall.

S: Sweet with a slight spice and some fruit.

T: Moderate Holiday flavors, reminiscent of pumpkin delights. Moderate carbonation. Mild but bitter after taste.

M: Smooth with a slight grain.

D: Light enough to have more than one. Very enjoyable.

10-06-2008 14:31:55 | More by FGCUkyleOz
howandmeg

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance- rich amber color. Enticing.

Smell- Average Octoberfest style with hop aroma.

Taste- A little bitter with a full flavor. Well balanced. A slight roasted flavor.

Drinkability- Starts off good, finishes easily when coming to room temperature.

Not bad for an Octoberfest beer. I like a beer which satisfies the full palette and this beer does it. Two or three of these would make a good night.

09-25-2009 00:10:39 | More by howandmeg
twelvelookslikex

2.68/5  rDev -27%

Dark amber color. Not much carbination. The smell is mild malty not much hop smell at all. Malty tast but very medium. Not too impressed with this beer at all. Better than the boston lager though in my opinion. But very simple flavors and quite borring.

09-06-2010 22:23:38 | More by twelvelookslikex
sthompson519

4.85/5  rDev +32.2%

The feel, the taste, the smell...unbelievable. The bottle and look might leave a bit to be desired, but the great taste will more than make up for that. Compared to most Octoberfests, Sam's has a far smoother taste. A bit of bite to it, but not overbearing. I look forward to the fall for two reasons, football and this beer!

04-07-2011 01:18:28 | More by sthompson519
aseiter

4.55/5  rDev +24%

One of the most anticipated releases annually for me, between the the beer and the weather this combination is not equaled by any other large brewer in America. As usual with SA October has a strong and spiced flavor that stays with your palette til the next gulp. The head doesn't remain as long as I would like but that doesn't mean the flavor disappears with it. Overall a beer that goes with any autumn activity!

10-03-2011 15:02:27 | More by aseiter
Joel

2.9/5  rDev -21%

Strange taste, but drinkable.

I had this last night at a local reastaurant. It was not my first choice or second. My first choice was Mayflower IPA. My waitress regretted to inform us that they were all out of that. I ordered a Harpoon IPA and my wife ordered this on tap. She thought that there was something wrong with her beer, so I switched my superior dry, hoppy Harpoon with her Octoberfest. The Octoberfest did look better with a small head compared to none on the Harpoon and had a rich color.

I told my wife that there was a lightly burnt caramel taste. This kept the malt flavor from being sickly sweet. I also detected some added spices - a slight cinnamon taste mixed with some other spice. This taste reminded me of a winter style beer. However, after reading other reviews, I assume that flavor was from the hops - probably spicy tasting German or German style hops. I'm not a fan of Sam Adams in general or in sweet beers either. However, this beer was more drinkable than many Sam Adams beers which I have found to have a chemical taste.

10-06-2011 19:09:56 | More by Joel
DasBoot91

2.83/5  rDev -22.9%

A- Dark orange-ish/copper look. 2 finger off-white head with some lacing. Average carbonation.

S- Smelling some spices and caramel.

T- Tasting light spices, nothing to up in your face. With a little fruit sweetness. Hops are there just sweet not bitter.

M- Medium light feel. Getting the carbonation but goes down easy.

O- A good beer but not what I think a lot of people make it out to be before I ever had it. The appearance I think is the best part. The taste seems to be lacking for all its hype. But i think if your going to a party in the fall, you can't go wrong with this beer.

10-19-2011 17:37:17 | More by DasBoot91
NerveStorm

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

A mellow October beer with a smooth finish. Good flavor with less bite than I expected. I found this a very pleasing drink. There is a malt bias, with no IPA like bitterness. Great with a meal or just a refreshing drink. I wish this one was around more of the year.

Serving type: growler

10-26-2011 04:09:12 | More by NerveStorm
The_Hucklebuck

4.9/5  rDev +33.5%

Possibly my favorite beer! Although as a seasonal beer, I wish they could be a little more consistent! The first year I tried it (3 or 4 years ago) It was by far my favorite beer, but it hasn't been quite as good the last couple seasons. Still a great beer though!

04-11-2012 21:07:31 | More by The_Hucklebuck
FennelDTD

3.38/5  rDev -7.9%

Overall an OK beer, not great on any aspect, but presents as a fairly full flavor Octoberfest. Does have a slightly off smell when first opened, but the taste presents a better profile. Hints of spice, not overly hoppy. Nothing impressive, but would drink again.

11-02-2012 02:33:23 | More by FennelDTD
Jakey2005

Maryland

3.61/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I generally enjoy Sam's version of an Oktoberfest. Nice copper color, malty and slightly roasty taste. I find it interesting the number of commentators on here that find it necessary to dislike this beer because it is produced by Sam. I brew my own Oktoberfest, lived in Germany, been to the real Oktoberfest in Munich, and still enjoy this offering from Sam. Not my hands down favorite. I reserve that for Ayinger. But Sam has won multiple awards for this beer and I think they were well deserved.

08-19-2013 02:52:19 | More by Jakey2005
DrewBest

3.36/5  rDev -8.4%

I used to absolutely love this beer. I recently realized that I just love Octoberfests...and in fact, this is not a great one. As such, I have lowered my rating several times in an attempt to rate this beer not just in terms of how much I like it on its own, but also its standing within its (particularly well-defined and storied) genre.

Almost no detectable hop aroma. The malts are great-- big and sweet. Mouthfeel is similarly malty and partially coating. However, where I feel this falls short of other 'Fests is the complete lack of both bittering hop character (which should be minimal, but present) and noble hop flavor. This could have been brewed with a similar amount of Cascade without a noticeable effect...if there are nice German hops in here, you wouldn't know it.

Drinkable and tasty but one-dimensional and tiresome.

08-23-2013 00:14:58 | More by DrewBest
Johnnyboy12

4.33/5  rDev +18%

Octoberfest is very delicious. I taste its original lager taste mixed with small amounts of fall spices. Very easy to drink if your a lager or ale drinker like myself. i wouldn't expect anything less from Sam Adams their beers are always brewed i think the best on average

09-24-2013 16:53:12 | More by Johnnyboy12
madsquish

4.22/5  rDev +15%

I have always been a fan of the Sam Seasonals. This particular beer had a great first bite to it. It also helps that it has a high alcohol content, you will be buzzed before you know it. You notice the dark color as soon as you poor into your glass, and the aroma reminds of the fall. Great beer to drink while watching football.

09-08-2006 01:24:30 | More by madsquish
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)