Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,072 | Hads: 7,106
3.05/5  rDev -16.7%

Type: Oktoberfest/ Lager
Color: Amber
Body: Lightly carbonated
Head: Heavy white head. Lingers for some time. Excellent lacing.
Taste: For a fall beer is it light but still has a great flavor. Almost tastes like popcorn strangely enough.
Aroma: The smell of fall is in the air! You can smell the spices and the caramel and toffee that were used in the brewing process.

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This felt like the cream soda of beers. Poured orangey brown with a nice head. Creamy taste with touches of vanilla and caramel. Very little hops. Mostly sweet. "Tastes pretty good for a beer," said my wife, whose favorite beery drink is a Radler - half Sprite.

3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

A-Appearance is a nice rich copper with very little head that basically disappeared after I poured it. No lacing what so ever.
S-There is a subtle spiciness, probably from the hops, that can be detected with hints of maltball.
T&M-As for taste and feel, I must say it goes down smooth, rather syrupy-like or even molasses-like. Remaining flavors after one takes a sip remain around the edge of the tongue as opposed to darker, stronger beers, which can overwhelm the tastebuds and attack the back of the throat.
D-Sam Adams Octoberfest is a very drinkable beer with a nice toasty finish. Not overly strong based on the mild hops, which allows one to get through a six pack. Though for some, the malt flavor may be a drawback after a couple of beers. After a few, it may come across as fairly heavy. Nevertheless, it is one of the better Octoberfests for the price in my opinion, granted I got this bottle from a buddy of mine. Apparently, Sam Adams Octoberfest is bought up pretty fast in my area, just another testament to its own drinkability.

4.52/5  rDev +23.5%

One of my friends gave me a bottle to try, while we were lounging around in the pool. The beer had a great Octoberfest taste to it and it was an enjoyable beer to drink. I think I will buy it in the future.

The beer was dark brown in color, and was not over carbonated. It smelled and tasted really good. I recommend this beer.

3.97/5  rDev +8.5%

I'm looking at my score and I understand it may at first glance appear too high, but keep in mind that an extra .5/1 point for each category is a big difference to me when reviewing beers, so take that for what it's worth. On to the review.

Pours a nice dark copper with a white head that doesn't stay for very long.

Lot's of bready, caramel and slight honey notes hit the nose. A very pleasant aroma that I really dig.

A sweet caramel/honey malt comes through at first sip, but then the spicy/herbal noble hops come through that help keep the finish from being overall too sweet. Really love the malty flavors.

Body is light-medium, with a finish that is just slightly on the dry side.

This beer is very refreshing, and the malts while semi-complex are never overbearing. It's a very flavorful session beer that in my honest opinion has a better overall flavor compared to Boston Brewery's regular Boston Lager. I wish this was year round.

a:more than medium carbonation. small short lived white head with thin lacing. orange/auburn crystal clear color.

a:munich malt with some crystal malt sweetness. more than a hint of floral noble hop. faint occasional whiff of roast.

t:smooth munich bready richness with what must be added crystal malt. residual sweetness with subtle almost honey-like flavor.no yeast profile.
twice i noted what i thought was diacetyl but couldnt find it again. again subtle floral hop with maybe just a touch of spiciness. lingering sweet caramel with intertwined munich malt.

m:significant but not biting carbonation. medium but very soft mouthfeel.

o:very drinkable because of the smooth touch of the malts despite some residual sweetness. a very good beer although i do think less crystal malt or none would be more traditional. better than many imports because of the freshness.

4.27/5  rDev +16.7%

My favorite fall beer! Even though it's not fall yet in Florida, I saw it in the store today and had to pick up a 12 pack for $13.99... here goes the first one:

a- pours a dark brown/gold with a 1/2" head - leaves lacing that falls after a few seconds.

s- not to much here. i get some hints of malts, but nothing stands out.

t- similar to the boston lager, but more on the malty side, but still balanced. The malt flavors really jump out: oak, cream, and spice. While the hops are pretty mild, they are still noticeable and give it a slightly bitter finish, which really smooths the deal out.

m- on the light side, lots of carbonation

d- you can certainly stick with octoberfest for the evening. You're gonna want more than one - no doubt. A great beer to drink on the first cool days of the season (even though that's still months away here in FL. It's currently 90 degrees)

an additional note- ive got to say this first beer isnt as good as i remember it being in years past. It seems much lighter, almost that watered down feel. This could be due to two things- first i had really high expectations for this beer, as i enjoy it so much every fall, and second, as the flavors, feel, and "mood" of this beer are geared towards cooler weather, I think that cool days are an essential element for enjoying it the way it was intended to be enjoyed.

3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

A - A beautiful dark copper color, perfect for the season. A nice tan had that lingers for a while and some nice lacing, most likely due to the sweetness.

S - Caramel, malty, a hint of hops. Not too strong though.

T - Malt dominates the flavor profile. Its starts with a heavy malt taste, then you can taste the hops closer to the finish although there aren't a ton. A little harsh on the finish but sweet throughout and overall very good.

M - Medium and smooth, I like it.

D - This is my fall beer. I love to try new Marzens, especially from other local brewers but I always keep falling back on this. I find it to be very drinkable, it's a medium bodied beer that doesn't fill me up too fast.

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%

I aquired this beer from a co-worker who recieved the Sam Adams Winter variety pack, and well I guess he didn't like it as he gave me most of them.

After drinking several, I admit that most didn't sit well with me, however this one did. I kind of like it.

Appearance ~ I drank it out of a bottle, so I really have no clue. Holding it up to a window, it looks dark, but I can see through it. I'm going to give it a three because I'm too lazy to get up and pour it into a glass.

Smell ~ Hmmmm... come to think of it, this probably isn't a fair review for me either as I have a bit of congestion... It smells sweet, I think of cherries when I sniff.

Taste ~ This is where the OctoberFest excels when compared to the other beers in the variety pack. (note - I said when compared to other beers in the variety pack). The word of caution is because I can't quite decide if I think the taste is above average. I think I sometimes confuse "taste" with "mouthfeel". I'm going to give it a 3.5.

Mouthfeel ~ this I like,it's crisp, but not too crisp, giving it a slight silky smoothness that coats your mouth but rinses out quickly. This I like. 4

Overall ~ for me, this is an above average Sam Adams beer, as I'm typically not a fan of their offerings, but it's not a beer I would go out and purchase. So I got to say it's just average.

4.55/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This heavily malted and hoppy elixir pours a golden brown, with an incredible head. The abv content is just right - and in this case, as close to perfection as one would desire. This is definitely a session beer, however, I suspect that you may not repeat the session as once would suffice. Octoberfest beers bring out the best in production, and this one is nothing short of spectacular. With 5 roasted malts in this particular brew, you enjoy every single one of the 165 calories in this bottled beer. A worthy find.

4.18/5  rDev +14.2%

On tap.

A - Cloudy copper color with a one finger fizzy head that dissipates quickly. No lacing.

S - Bready and Carmal malts. A touch of spice.

T - Very similar to the nose. Bready malts dominate. Spices and a touch of hops.

M - Light to medium. Good carbonation. This is an easy drinker.

Great session beer. this one is very enjoyable.

I always look forward to picking this up when it becomes offered on shelves. I drink so much of it through the fall that it somewhat gets tiring, but it is a great beer and one of the best Octoberfest beers out there. I love the carmel and malt flavors.

2.71/5  rDev -26%

Dark amber with quickly fading offwhite head.Initial malty taste that finishes dry ,bitter and a little mediciney.I noted caramel in the aroma and taste which is a minus for this style.As a dark lager maybe , but as an Oktoberfest?.. not quite.I like the new label.

4.3/5  rDev +17.5%

The pour was of an orange amber hue. The appearance is one of golden orange with a touch of maroonish haze color. The smell was rich with spice and wheat with a strong undertone of herbs. The taste and mouthfeel where both very, very nice. Filled with flavor with no hint of bitterness. My overall impression was excellent. Go buy some!.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours out a nice amber/burnt orange color, with a finger width or so of head. I didn't really detect much on the smell, maybe a faint hint of malts. The taste is nice, malty, but not too much so, with a good finish. It maybe could have had a little stronger malt taste, but it still hits the spot. Mouthfeel is pretty good, nothing out of the ordinary, but drinkability is pretty high. Overall it's a solid beer that I wish was around more often, but then again, thats part of the fun of Oktoberfest.

4.13/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured into a pint glass revealing a beautifully amber drink with a nice head. Smelled of delicate hops and malty sweetness. Taste is more malty than the nose, with a very clean aftertaste. As things progress the hops begin to shine through. Head left a nice delicate lacing.

This is a go-to Oktoberfest.

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

Decided to try this, though I have not been that impressed with Sam Adams lately. And I was once again disappointed. Poured a medium brown, with little head, whatever there was quickly dissipated. Nose was a bit malty, with yeasty notes, but not overpowering or complex. Mouth feel was much thinner than I expected, watery, and relatively tasteless. Finish was somewhat unpleasant, a bit sour. All in all, I would not buy it again.

Pours a crystal clear copper/orange color with pearly white head, dissipates immediately leaving no film, looks like a glass of apple cider.

Very toasty grain smell, with some sweetness.

Malt, malt, malt on the taste, big breadiness and a hint of grain sweetness. Finishes crisp with slight hop bitterness.

Mouth feel is light and crisp, good carbonation very refreshing.

Overall, great session beer. It's good on the remaining warm days of sept/oct.

2.98/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

It's almost ok. Spice is overpowering to the pint of annoyance. There are so many other good beers in this flavor range to mess with this one again.

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

This beer pours a redish/orange brown with a white head. The smell is mostly of malt and pretty much on the sweet side. The flavor is rich and bold and is of mostly malt, with little hops to be found by me. It has a great balance of flavor and carbonation. It is very smooth, medium body but the beer has a thick flavor. It has a long, lingering aftertaste that some sweet notes that just add to the character. I wish I could get it all year round.

4.28/5  rDev +16.9%

Always a favorite of mine pours dark copper color with hints of caramel..Head lasts for a little not too long.. Nice body a little heavier than some Oktoberfest beers I have had..Does leave slight not overbearing aftertaste.. This is one of my favorite seasonal beers..

3.6/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap into a pint glass

A - bright clear copper color with a thin light tan-ish white head that faded quickly and left no lacing

S - bready and malty, slight yeasty sweetness

T - malty and slightly sweet, faint hops linger in the taste, nothing too dramatic or spectacular

M - light, smooth, medium to high carbonation. Crisp feeling in the mouth

D - very drinkable due to the moderate alcohol content, balanced flavor and lack of any overpowering tastes. You could probably drink these all night, but I wouldn't want to. A couple in an evening is enough.

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%

Sam Adams - Octoberfest

I'm assuming this one is bottled the same as all their others, in Boston, MA. This is probably the easiest to find Oktoberfestbier in the states. It's about as average as you can come, but that's not a bad thing. Some else was saying its a good way to introduce Americans to the style without being offensive. I'd agree with that - it's good, but not great.

Coming in at only 5.3% ABV this is definately on the light side for the style. Its perfectly clear, with a nice deep amber toward red color. I liked it, it just seemed to be lacking a bit of flavor, not so bad as to call it watered down, but definately missing something.

Only indication of bottling date is a notch out of FEB on the side of the bottle which matches the traditional style perfectly, but maybe that's a "sell by" date?

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: Dark amber-orange, light to medium head, good carbonation.
Smell: Sweet and malty
Taste: Medium hops, slightly sweeter and maltier than Boston Lager. Can detect some caramel.
Mouthfeel: Medium frothy, slight bittersweet aftertaste. Nice.
Drinkability: Good. Can drink several quickly, but would rather saver them slowly.
Summary: This is a very good beer. I gave it an 8.1/10, or B-. This beer is very similar to Samuel Adams Boston Lager, but it's sweeter and maltier. It has several food pairings, but tastes great by itself. It's a good choice to enjoy during Octoberfest. I look forward to drinking this beer again next year.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

If you can't find any other Octoberfest beers this one isnt bad. Aroma and Appearance are nice are right but the it lacked a little in subtle taste of it's German counterparts. It is a true to from Octoberfest brew in mouth feel.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)