Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,015 | Hads: 6,796

I've never been too found of Sam Adams beers, but I hadn't tried their Oktoberfest before so I thought I'd give it chance. I expected more flavor and a fuller body. The body was weak and the toasty maltiness that a marzen should have just wasn't there. I think this would be more appropriatetly called Samuel Adams Octoberfest LIGHT. But it's still the best Sam Adams beer I've had. (382 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +23%

A: Pours a deep coppery color

S: Sweet and a hint of spices/pumpkin

T: I liked the taste from the get go. Smooth and flavorful with a hint of carmel and reminds me of thanksgiving.

M: crisp and well balanced for a seasonal brew.

D: Very pleasing and a great seasonal brew! I look forward to this every season and recommend an earlier release than waiting until it is towards it's end of shelf life. But I recommend that on all beers!

I like this better than most seasonal offerings with the exception of Shipyards pumpkin head. enjoy! (549 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +7.4%

Very impressive beer. While it's not as sweet as a true Octoberfest, this is perfect for the American palate.

A= Beautiful. Golden brown intermingled with a lighter reddish brown. Terrific head and nice lacing.

S=Very pleasant fruity scent.

T= I would like a little more of the syrupy sweetness (if the beer had more of a flavor like its scent it would be just about perfect). It's still excellent. Hops are present but are not overpowering. Finally, a balanced beer.

M/D= Thicker than I expected, which was a nice surprise. It's a sipping beer, but you could put away a couple easily. (598 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served at 50 degree F.

Appearance: Nice dark amber coloring with slightly over 1 inch head

Smell: Great malty smell, hints of caramel and toast

Taste: As a true Marzan style beer, the malt speaks volume here. Also get an added caramel note or two. Okay bitterness. Easy drinking. Big positive for me is the pleasent aftertaste, which is oncommon for beers served at warmer temperatures

Mouthfeel: October's approaching, which means the beers are getting heavier and fuller. Medium bodied, decent bitterness. Definitely coats the mouth before going down. Very enjoyable

Overall: I am a huge Marzan fan, and an advocate for all types of fall beers. As far as Samuel Adam's Octoberfest goes, I find that it is the best Marzan for its value. Some German imports can tend to get pricy, and Sams Octoberfest sells for about a $1.66 a bottle.. Cheers! (849 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: A clear, dark copper body with one finger of somewhat lasting head that dissipated into a thin layer of foam. Decent lacing.

Smell: Sweet malt, caramel, roasty.

Taste: Follows nose very closely, roasty, malty, caramel. Next to no hops present, but far from being overly sweet.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy, yet very drinkable. This beer has moderate carbonation and no alcohol detectable on the palate.

Overall: There's nothing that I can say bad about this beer, yet not a whole lot that I am overwhelmed by. This is a highly drinkable, enjoyable beer that warrants multiples at a party or other get together. There is some amount of excitement surrounding this beer's release every year that can only be justified by it being the most readily available yet tasty example of this style. (808 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +15%

My personal favorite beer. Wonderfully balanced warm aroma that gently whiffs of the hop character. Beautiful slightly browned head, and a lovely amber color. The warmth of the malt followed by a smoothly bitter hop bite comes on nicely, and leaves only a slight aftertaste making you want more. Not too heavy, but definitely nowhere near what you'd call light. Perfect compliment to a meal, or to be consumed on it's own. (422 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +9.8%

This is a VERY beer - very malty, very fruity, very sweet, and very good.

Pours to a red, amber color that resolves to a thin head, and there's definitely a lack of any head retention here. That's a shame.

Has a sweet, malty aroma, with a touch of caramel.

There's very little active carbonation here. It makes the beer appear almost flat. However, there is a distinct mouthfeel, and a long, lingering aftertaste - akin to just having had some good, sweet Chinese food, or a facefull of cotton candy, or the like... albeit laced with a touch of hops and malt.

But this is supposed to be an Oktoberfest Märzen. The problem is, the true Märzens that I've had in/from Munich taste and look nothing like this, or vice versa. Frankly, I'm not quite sure if this is really an Oktobefest Märzen at all, other than the fact that its a seasonal Fall beer and shares the namesake.

Still, I like it, and will buy it, and drink it. It's that good. (953 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

A- Poured a wonderful dark copper with a frothy and attractive off-white head.

S- Smell is layers of malt with caramel, toffee, and doughy notes dominating.

T & M - Sweet and bready malt notes are kept in check by hop bitterness. Hint of herbal hop flavor. Finishes with caramel and metallic? notes. Mouth feel was a little thin.

D- I really wanted more malt flavor in this lager. The whole experience seemed subdued. Past years were more impressive. (454 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +1.4%

Appearance: Pours a nice dark orange to copper color. Head pours to about 1/2" and has large bubbles, no creaminess. Dissipates to nothing in less than a minute. No lacing to speak of.

Smell: Not much there. I get hints of fruits but they are not strong enough to distinguish. No smell of alcohol. Smells very thin and light.

Taste: As anticipated very light and balanced. No overpowering hops or malts. Slight citrus to grassy taste. The malt combination is very nice and balanced. The finish is quite bold and holds most of the taste in this beer.

Mouthfeel: Kind of dry and carbonated. I feel very light carbonation on the tongue and the finish leaves me wanting more.

Drinkability: Very easy drinking. Nice beer for a fall day. Nothing overpowering just a smooth, light taste representative of a nice cool autumn day. I like this beer and I am not a huge Sam Adams fan. I would drink this again and will probably go buy another sixer after I finish this one. (977 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

after a long day working and screwin around the house, I needed a beer that cost over 15 dollars a case. bought a case of samuel adams octoberfest "cold" but the first one I opened was warma s hell. so I put it on ice for a half hour and poured one into a pilsner glass. Very nice color, a little darker which I liked. Taste is very nice and it looks tempting to drink fast but definately a thicker brew. Overall i liked it and will continue buying this seasonal beer from sam adams. (483 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

I experienced this beer via 12oz. bottle poured into a pub style pint glass.

Great inital off-white head which faded rather quickly into a thin pad...about what I was expecting. The overall appearence of the beer was exceptionally inviting though. Great clear vibrant burnt orange/ deep amber color with copper tones. After a few sips, I found only minimal tracing in the glass. Warm toasty malt aroma with hints of caramel and toffee. I also picked up subtle floral hop notes. Slightly warm malty flavor with a trace of residual sweetness which is well balanced by a moderate floral hop biterness. Medium richness maintains carbonation on the palate, and is quite fulfilling. Overall, this beer is very drinkable; from the initial pleasant floral bouqet to the warm, satisfying, yet clean finish, this beer meets the style well. I may have another... (852 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +23.2%

Nice dark orange color with a good head that dissapears into a very very ring.

Smells great. Sweet, very small amount of hops and slightly alcoholic. The alcohol smell is very good, almost like a fine liquor as it warms. To tell you the truth this might be the best smelling alcohol esters I have ever smelled.

Taste is phenominal. Sweet, bready, caramel goodness with just a touch of hops. Oh and of course the alcohol from the smell loses none of its deliciousness. (469 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -2.7%

Sight: Poured into a pint glass, this beer is deep amber, almost orange. Head is slight and disappears quickly.

Smell: Sweet and malty, but it's not strong. This is certainly not going to be a swing-for-the-fences honest-to-god Marzen. It is pleasant, however.

Taste: Delicious maltiness, tinged with a little bitter hops at the end. Aftertaste lingers for a few seconds and is malty. Not a powerful taste, will disappoint if you're looking for a hearty brew. It was too cold when I began drinking. After warming up the beer released some gentle spiciness; notes of cinnamon.

Mouthfeel: A bit too carbonated, but highly drinkable. Again, not the fullest of beers, drank three and was extremely happy as well as satiated.

Overall: This used to be my favorite beer. Along with Fat Tire and Young's Double Chocolate, it was my intro to beer. Will always buy a six pack when I'm looking for something familiar, inexpensive, and moderately filling -- not to mention tasty. One of the better Sam Adam's out there. (1,011 characters)

3.66/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

Appearance: Really nice deep amber color. It has a nice thick white head, which stays around for a few minutes. Overall, a very nice appearance.

Smell: Nice mix of sweet and malty. Seem pretty well balanced.

Taste: This beer has a really nice flavor. The sweetness dominates the initial sip. It also has nice malty flavor towards the end. There's also some caramel flavor in here.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is perfect for this style. It gets a little tacky/sticky after a few sips. Not bad though.

Drinkability: This beer has pretty good drinkability. Nothing too harsh, but the sweetness kind of limits it for my taste. (665 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Very pretty beer. A deep fall-leaf orange, off-white head, minimal lacing on glass.

Smell: Not a very deep aroma. Malt, bread.

Taste: This is not a very flavorful beer at all. I've started to pick up more fruity flavors as I've drank more of this, but it is still not too interesting - kind of an undefined fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, not over-carbonated. The lightness is very pleasant actually.

Overall: This is a pleasant beer that will remind you of the season, but it does not have the flavor to back it up in repeated drinking. (551 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice golden color, smooth and easy to drink, and soft sweet taste. Best part was the smile it put on my face when I saw it in the store and started thinking how much I enjoyed it last year. (190 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -12.6%

nothing to special here, i know some people go crazy for this beer. Its decent as oktoberfests go. One thing about it is it has this slight fizzy..or something taste to it. I don't know, but besides that its pretty ordinary. Its easy to drink, there arn't any overbearing tastes. Just a general oktoberfest beer taste, i perfer harpoons. (337 characters)

Regardless of everything else the problem here is the HUGE diacetyl presence. Had a sixtel of this on at my house for about 2 weeks and really tried to get around it but could not. returned it for a keg of Ramstein O'fest and this is much better. A friend had the smae issue and the 2 places in the area I tried it on tap it was the same way. Not nearly as noticeable in bottles. Question is...is this lack of quality control at certain brewing sites? I believe they are brewing in the Lehigh Valley now at the old Rolling Rock place but not sure. This is the second year in a row where the diacetly presence has been overwhelming, a shame because this used to be one of my favorite seasonals from them. (703 characters)

12oz. bottle poured into pint glass

A-poured a dark orange amber color with a thin cream colored head that faded fast.

S-malt and roasted grain.

T-very malty and roasty, not very hoppy,with toffee hints.very tasty beer.

M-a real in your face feel.it lets you know it's there.

D-Easy to drink.I recommend this beer to anyone and everyone. (352 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +13.9%

I had this on tap at a local Richmond Oktoberfest. Having had this out of the bottle a few times I never cease to be impressed with the malty flavor that comes through. Great copper color, poured with a two finger head that had good staying power. On tap the hop aroma (Saaz) I'm guessing really hits the nose nicely.

Oktoberfest and Maerzen are my favorite styles of beer and this is a very good one. (402 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured this from the bottle into a pilsner glass and got a very tasty looking beer.

I don't think this is a typical Sam Adams because I actually like it.

The flavor is nutty with plenty of good malty caramel tones and a good crisp mouthfeel. I could drink several. It is not a heavy beer but has good flavors. The color is definately an autumn color; reddish orange. The head pours a creamy off-white and disappears quickly to leave soapy residue on the side of the glass.

The aftertaste is distinctly nutty and malty. Not a bad one for a beer from the Bostonian Brewery. (577 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

I normally do not buy Sam Adams beer, however; I decided to buy it because of the Octoberfest beer.

The beer poured very well, a nice foamy head, had a nice smell to it. The color was an awesome amber color beer which looked great in a chilled glass.

There is no overpowering after taste, it's very crisp and palatable.
It's a very drinkable beer that would be great to serve good friends.

I would definitely recommend this beer to anyone wanting a good drinking beer. (471 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance: Rich copper orange color with creamy 1 finger head that quickly dissipates leaving minimal lacing.

Smell: Malt up front with minimal hop bitterness. A little bit of banana bread and caramel.

Flavor: Nice creamy malty beer. Lots of breadyness with a touch of bitter pumpkin / fall spices. The sweetness in this beer tastes less malty and more sugary to me.

Mouthfeel: Feels a little thin for an Octoberfest to me. Lacking the additional body I expected and has a short finish.

Drinkability: Easy drinker. Very smooth alcohol isn't noticed. Quite clean and sessionable. (583 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours out to a beautiful rich amber color with a lovely full head. Nicely carbonated as well.

Smell: As a sweet malty smell, with a slightly hoppy aroma lingering in the background.

Taste: Very sweet malty taste, while I have hops in the nose I do not get hops in the taste initially.

Mouthfeel: Has a very smooth and easy begin on the tongue but does finish with a slight bitterness to it. Does not have a clean finish.

Drinkability: I love this beer. I very much enjoy all the different styles of Octorberfest that many different brewerys put out the S.A. just makes me want to curl up in front of the tv watching some college football (Go Noles!) and watching the leafs change color. I will very much enjoy this beer again and again. (740 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

From the bottle it pours a brilliant amber with impressive clarity. Head froths up nicely but doesn't have much retention; it falls to a low ring pretty quickly.

Smell is obviously malty, with a distinct sweetness and a subtle alcohol sharpness.

Tastes only slightly sweet like caramel. Toasty malt is definitely the big flavor, with a bit of nuttiness to go with it. Medium mouth feel with refreshing carbonation. The hop bitterness is subtle, but balances well with the sweetness.

Notes:
Probably my favorite of the Sam Adams seasonal brews. I look forward to this one coming every year. Makes me miss Boston, as it's much harder to find on tap in CA. Bottled just isn't the same. This is one beer which I have noticed being distinctly better served on tap. (762 characters)

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)