Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

This is a fairly decent beer, and an OK way to celebrate the season, IMO. Rich copper/orange color with a creamy tan head. Subtle noble hop aromas, slightly spicy, with a little caramel and brown sugar. Taste is dominated by malt, but the hop presence is there to keep things balanced. A bit juicy. Slight alcohol spiciness in the finish. I'll have another, thank you.

4.24/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sam Adams has hit another one out of the park. Octoberfest is truly one of their better beers, if not arguable their best.

I'm not much into cans, I really turn my nose up to them, but when the wife goes out and buys your beer you take what you get and you like it. :) In this case, I got lucky. Out of the can (I can't believe I'm writing that) I found the brew to be absolutely stunning - dark amber colored beer with a lightly tanned head. The head has great staying power with good lacing all the way down the glass. The smell was a roasted or toasted malt - rich, deep, and lightly sweet. I've had other Sam Adams and found them to be to carbonated for my taste, but Octoberfest was just at the right level of carbonation (IMHO). I could taste what I smelled - which is always a plus to me - and there was some distant sweetness to the beer.

My concerns that Sam Adams might be getting to big to really care about quality are totally unfounded - Octoberfest is truly something special.

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Wow.. best Sam Adams i've had...

A - Rusty, orange/brown color, decent head.
S - Sweet, I smell cherries.
T - Very nice, slight sweetness w/ a light bitter aftertaste, I like this beer.
M - Smooth, some carbonation
D - Very Drinkable, i'm really impressed, not a big Sam Adams fan, but this one's a winner.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

3.31/5  rDev -9.8%

Had two 12oz bottles at Rudy's BBQ in TX
It pours a crystal clear brownish orange color with a white bubbly head.
There was not much to the aroma. The malts were very faint.

Like the aroma the taste was not too exciting. There was a subtle spice flavor that lingered about, but for the most part it didn't do much. The malt flavor was not very pronounced - it was rather thin. Other BA members were very descriptive and listed off a host of flavors. Maybe it's just me but I wasn't tasting too much in this one. For the most part I found myself searching for flavors and aromas, and I didn't find much.

If I had to describe this beer in one word it would be, uneventful. I haven't had one of these in a long time and I remember it being very good. However, this revisiting didn't live up to my memory. I might order this at a bar or restaurant with a limited selection, otherwise I have no need for it. Not the best example of an Oktoberfest beer...seriously I remember this being much better.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)