Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Moose34

11-14-2011 20:22:24 | More by Moose34
Monsteruss

Colorado

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

This had a golden wheat foam, thick and stuck around the edges til end. The color was orange/amber w/ mahogany accents. The smell had a nice dominate aroma of hops and a spicy orange undertone. The taste of earthy hops and spices. A definate autumn flavor w/ hints roasted barley. Mouthfeel - a clear feel, light to med. bodied. Drinkability - It's good. Perfect for the autumn season.

11-18-2009 22:36:18 | More by Monsteruss

07-24-2014 13:48:03 | More by bhudish
Rio

Kansas

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%

Deep amber color, without much of a head or head retention. Sweet malts and hop aroma that I've found in many other O'fests come through here, though not quite hiding the alcohol in this one.

The sweet malts, caramel and toasted flavors, open the show with this brew, allowing the hops to finish up. It is a nice balance, but I find I rather more enjoy the beers that allow the toasted and caramel flavors to wrap the hops, both the start and finish. Nice body on this one, feels a bit thicker, though not quite chewy like a nice stout.

Another nice O'fest, though not an excellent one. The tap version (which, regrettably, I was not able to make notes on before it was all gone) struck me as a bit better than this, but it's still not bad.

10-31-2004 06:25:54 | More by Rio
tedsox31

3.13/5  rDev -14.7%

My first review, despite having been a member on here for a couple years now...

Poured into a glass mug. Appearance is amber in color with a foam head that dissipates rather quickly. Bubbles from the bottom continue to rise, however. There is no lace to speak of as I continue to drink it.

When I initially poured, the scent was slightly sharp but as it has warmed, the smell is sweet to me, of caramel malt and a slight floral aroma I cannot quite place.

The taste, to me, is nothing extraordinary. There is a sweetness to it that is reminiscent of caramel, followed by the tang of hops. The aftertaste is not unpleasant, but it does, to me at least, have a slight sourness to it.

There is a nice carbonated mouthfeel that you might expect from a lager. It is not too heavy and also not too light. The carbonation has grown less as I drink it, but even near the end there is carbonation to speak of.

This is a drinkable beer, if unremarkable. I cannot say that I would go out of my way to order this at a restaurant or bar, but I would get it again if an establishment had nothing else that I liked, or to sample it with some good German food such as brats and sauerkraut.

08-27-2008 01:32:45 | More by tedsox31
zerofear13

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Although Samuel Adams and many other breweries released their Octoberfests in mid-August, I have waited until September to try out my Octoberfest. Pours out a dark copper, almost brown color. Nice head, good retention, but nothing out of the ordinary. Smells of sweet malts and hops. Tastes noticeably sweet and finishes a tad bitter, but in a good way. As the beer warms up, the malts get sweeter and sweeter. Delicious beer and I was glad I picked it up and saved it for a colder day.

09-12-2007 20:57:30 | More by zerofear13
BeenJammin

Kansas

A - Nice copper brown with a decent 1 finger head

S - Smells very clean with a lot of malts and a sort of grainy lager smell.

T - Has a toasty and carmelly backbone with a hint of grain. Just a small flower hop taste.

M - Very clean and light bodied.

D - This is very drinkable. I could down a sixer of this in one sitting.

09-19-2008 04:18:44 | More by BeenJammin
HeroJH

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

Definitely a beer that shouldn't be served super cold. Let it warm up a touch from the fridge.

A- Clear brown. Low head retention
S- strong aroma of caramel with a malt background.
T- Lot's of caramel! Great malty finish. Fairly filling.
M- Fine, sweet coating.
D- I wouldn't say I could power through a bunch. This is a nice seasonal treat a couple at a time.

I had to re-visit this beer. I originally never liked it much. And it was usually served to me quite cold. I just grabbed one from the basement, so it's probably around 52-ish (my basement is cold and un-finished heh) and I was surprised at the overwhelming caramel characters that I missed while it was cold. When it was cold it was almost a bit bitter/harsh and shallow. I'm glad I tried it again!

01-14-2009 22:38:36 | More by HeroJH
kinmundy77

10-13-2013 22:01:49 | More by kinmundy77
Vashtar

3.1/5  rDev -15.5%

The appearance is a vibrant, mid dark, orange. It is clear and maintains its head.

There's a nice, but fairly typical fragrance.

The taste starts out great but finishes bitter. Hoppy at the end.

The mouthfeel is smooth, but lacks depth.

This was in a bottle and poured into a glass.

10-10-2012 01:46:11 | More by Vashtar

North Dakota

03-02-2013 16:16:51 | More by GFG
xXTequila

4.22/5  rDev +15%

wow...talk about malty. It was alittle heavier than I liked. It tasted similar to their winter lager, without the spices of course.

Update: 9/27/2002
I have noticed that this years Octoberfest is alot sweeter and has more of a caramel flavour. It tastes alot more like a ale than a lager. It actually tastes alot like their stock ale now.

10-02-2001 17:10:17 | More by xXTequila

Indiana

10-31-2013 22:52:17 | More by tangoafterdark
hopheadjuice

3.18/5  rDev -13.4%

12 oz bottle best by Feb with no year.

Pours a typical amber in color, filtered with some bubbles rising. 1 finger head that recedes fast leaving a little bit of lacing.

Smells very grainy with a hint od musty fruit. extremely low hop presence with a malty scent as well. something tastes off in this brew, tastes like boston lager with more malts.

Again something is off, the taste has a weird apple juiceness to it. very malty with slight hop bitterness and a malty finish.

Mouthfeel is soft to medium bodied with a soft finish.

I didnt especially like this marzen/octoberfest bier, I much prefer Bostons Harpoon octoberfest to this one anyday.

Cheers!

09-23-2010 18:28:41 | More by hopheadjuice
derekdenim

09-23-2013 23:31:58 | More by derekdenim
NIURicky

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

10-22-2012 23:02:13 | More by NIURicky
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)