Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,072 | Hads: 7,106
2.25/5  rDev -38.5%

This beers looks great - deep amber hue with a frothy head. The problem I have with it is the cloying sweetness. Hops are barely discernible, it's just an overwhelming toffee like sweetness with a weird apple like aftertaste. Really hard to drink more than one of these.

3.72/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look: Nice amber color with a white head. A really nice looking beer.

Smell: Toffee, bread, malt, and caramel. Nothing overpowering here.

Taste: Just the smell. Nutmeg, caramel, and malt come though.

Feel: Lighter bodied and good carbonation. Goes down extremely easy.

Overall: A timeless classic for the fall. I always make sure I have a few of these each year.

4.17/5  rDev +13.9%

Served from the bottle into a nonic glass.

A- Poured a dark and clear reddish color with a small off-white head that left no lace.

S- Big bready notes, caramel, toasted malt, grainy notes, and nutty notes.

T- Big caramel and butterscotch, bready notes, graininess, and light fruity notes.

M- Dry, medium body, soft carbonation, and smooth.

O- A really solid Oktoberfest beer with a nice flavor and aroma. Also a really good value.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance: Pours a dark translucent copper with about a finger of creamy tannish foam that reduces to a thin froth.

Aroma: You get a lot of malty aroma and a light floral fragrance.

Taste: Malty and lightly bitter with a semi-dry finish.

Mouth Feel: medium light to medium bodied with a creamy feel.

Overall: Marzen is not my favorite style as I prefer a bigger hop character but as a seasonal this is pretty good.

Got it part of the sampler pack for this year.

A - Vibrant amber-orange color that you can clearly see through. Fluffy white head that sits nice and high. Strong lacing.

S - Strong malt aroma with caramel notes. Also grainy tones with no discernible hops. Smells like an Octoberfest lager should!

T - Tastes of sweet maltiness with some grain, caramel, and lager flavor. This beer is like a traditional German lager beer but with more body and flavor. No distinct bitterness or hops but it isn't cloying.

M - Medium to light mouth-feel. Moderate carbonation. The sweetness is predominant but is still crisp on the finish which makes it very drinkable.

Overall, this is a great commercial beer that I look forward to having at least once every year. Not my favorite style or beer but it is a great session beer if your not in the mood for some hops.

Glass- Dimpled mug

3.41/5  rDev -6.8%

A good Marzen Oktoberfest, but I was a bit disappointed in this, from Samuel Adams.
I must admit, I rate my Oktoberfest's and Pumpkin Ale's in opposing methods:
for Pumpkin beers: the less intense the pumpkin and spices, the better
for Marzen beers: the more intense the experience, the better

Well balanced, with a friendly hint of spice and apples, his Oktoberfest lacked the finishing punch for me. I'll drink it again, but if you're looking for a bolder offering of this style, Great Lakes Brewing's Oktoberfest is hard to beat.

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed a pint on tap at Beer Revolution in Calgary. A dark reddish bronze with a finger or so of beige creamy head. Aroma of rich toasty malts and fresh green grapes, almost whiskey-like, sweet toffee with a light whiff of yeast. Classic o-fest, really. Body is on the thin side and the carbonation is intense, but in getting past these aspects one can find some toasted bread crust, sultana, light molasses, apples, pears, and even some faint citrus. Weighted towards the crisp, dry, and toasty, not particularly sweet, particularly in the finish. This may not have as much of the classic German malt character you get in some old world examples, but there is a solid noble hop flavor and the rich, deep flavors edge out some of the European examples in my view. Apparently it is not cool to rate this beer highly? Screw that noise. Quality is quality.

4.39/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours from the bottle a very dark amber with a thin off - white head that dissipates rapidly.

The smell is sweet, almost citrusy, with a nice toffee aroma. There is a nice toasted malt presence as well.

The taste begins with sweet notes, has a great (still a bit sweet) lightly toasted caramel flavor, and finishes with a hint of hoppiness.

The mouth feel is crisp, but full-bodied with with balanced carbonation.

Overall, this is one of my favorite interpretations of an Oktoberfest beer.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

I should start by saying I'm a big fan of the Boston Lager and drink it most nights.
I should also say that this is my first Marzen/Oktoberfest style beer.

This, to me, is just a muted version of the Boston Lager. I get that initial sweetness, caramel, toffee -- as I do from the lager -- but then I'm waiting for the complexity and bitterness at the end that I'm accustomed to...but it doesn't come.

I guess I just love the Boston Lager too much. I expected this to maybe have something that the lager doesn't, but it's not there.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

October is my favorite month as I like the fall season. A really nice time of year to sample Oktoberfest beer.
Samuel Adams has a version that pours dark amber with a head that disappears quickly.
Smell is vanilla and malt.
Taste is well balanced between hops and malt. Very slight bitterness followed immediately by sweetness.
Mouth feel is a little thickish, but not overly so.
Over all not my favorite, sort of middle of the pack. But very drinkable.

Pours a crystal clear copper/orange color with pearly white head, dissipates immediately leaving no film, looks like a glass of apple cider.

Very toasty grain smell, with some sweetness.

Malt, malt, malt on the taste, big breadiness and a hint of grain sweetness. Finishes crisp with slight hop bitterness.

Mouth feel is light and crisp, good carbonation very refreshing.

Overall, great session beer. It's good on the remaining warm days of sept/oct.

4.21/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

After 3 years of enjoying this beer, I am revising my rating. If I'm not drinking Ayinger or Paulaner, then I'm probably going for this or Free State. That should be plenty to go by for anyone who has tasted their share of Marzens out there. Drink good beer! -DelMontiac

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

BBD 1/15. Clear amber pour with a deep dark ruby hue. Excellent head, lacing and retention. Light nose of biscuit and caramel with notes of spice. Light medium body with a somewhat slick texture. Above average carbonation with a nice effervescent finish. The taste profile is reasonably balanced and complex, but has an aftertaste that is metallic. It begins with a light caramel sweetness that flows into a mild bitterness. The middle is mostly mineral in nature over a light hop spiciness. Throughout the profile is a metallic undercurrent that rises to the forefront in the finish and lingers as an off flavor. Having had this many times in the past, this version is sub par. I'll consume the rest of the 6 pack and adjust this review as warranted.

The rest of the 6 pack didn't have the metallic flaw, so I've adjusted the ratings. A good, but not outstanding, Oktoberfest.

A lot of people like this beer. I have had it several times before, but I thought I would give this one a second going over considering its in season.

Pours amber with a fair amount of head.

Caramel notes come through, sweet, not a lot going on in the aroma department. Of course do any Marzen's?

Taste: Fairly mundane, I really don't know why I keep buying these beers. They really don't have a lot going on, but I get into the whole seasonal kick of trying new styles. I personally think they are heavy lagers, (which they are) but that is what I do like about a lager, they are crisp. These are just too sweet for my personal palate. Sam is alright, I have had better but none in my opinion are outstanding beers. However, I do know people who love this style and hate the IPA's and stouts that I love.

Overall: This is an average beer. Its not a drain pour, but not really worth seeking out, if on sale or in their fall mixed 12 pack for a super deal like I got, then go for it!

3.06/5  rDev -16.4%

Draft served in Sam Adams lager glass
Aroma of malt
Head removed by bartender – what remains is white, frothy, and rapidly diminishes to 2 mm ring
Lacing poor – occasional island and reef of tiny bubbles
Body medium red-amber, clear, continual bubble generation
Flavor malty, ends slightly astringent; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3, Aroma 3.25, Flavor 3, Palate 3, Overall 3.0625

Yeah, yeah, I know: "Sam Adams isn't even a craft brewery, anymore! They're too COMMERCIAL! They just crank out any old thing and slap a label on it!" TRANSLATION: "They're not the new hot thing." Stipulated. And most "serious craft beer fans" would rather give up a body part than be caught actually LIKING something like this Octoberfest. But, as I'm too old and cranky to give a shit about what anyone else thinks, here it is: Sam Adams Octoberfest is a really FINE example of this style. It's got that hallmark Marzen heartiness, great caramel and citrus notes, and subtle but nicely resiny hops. It, like all great Octoberfest beers, is amazingly easy to drink...which is probably why the roving packs of wet-nosed craft geeks don't like it. But if you're a mature, thoughtful beer connoisseur, you'll like this a LOT. Walk right past the craft "experts" and pick this up for a taste of how a great American brewery does German.

Pours an amber, orange color with a fluffy, white 2 finger head that dissipates quickly leaving little to no lacing in a 16oz pub glass.

There is not much to smell on this one, maybe making out some sweetness from the malts ever so slightly.

Taste is sweet up front then it transitions into a mild spiciness that lingers into an aftertaste that hangs around.

Mouthfeel is nice and bubbly but a little on the thin side.

Overall, a really nice beer. This is the 2nd Octoberfest that I have had this season and I like this one more. I hope to get a few more this season and see where they stack up.

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - reddish amber in color. clear. creamy/foamy head that dissipates slowly. moderate to high carbonation. 4/5

S - Malty and grainy. Herbal hops. White bread. Biscuit. Somewhat subdued. 3.5/5

T - Toasted malt. Herbal hops. A bit grassy. Almost no bitterness. Somewhat sweet but more hoppy than most Oktoberfests that I've had. 3.75/5

M - Very dry, clean and crisp. Moderate carbonation. 4/5

O - Refreshing, especially with dinner. Fairly light for an Oktoberfest beer. 3.75/5

3.69/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My "go to" beer of the fall. Others are good, maybe even better, but Sam Adams is readily available and I'm always happy with the fall sampler. Pours a dark amber copper color, tastes of toasted bread, a little cola, a touch of sweetness, light hops. Feel is medium bodied, light carbonation. Overall, a very great "go with anything" kind of beer.

I've had about six draughts of these in the last week. Here goes:

A: Very nice head. Beer also has an amber color and is see-through. The only problem is that there's practically no lacing. Suppose that's because it's a Sam Adams. 3.75/5.00

S: Quite good. Bubblegum, banana and clove from wheat malt. Also some caramel from the barley. 4/5

T: Taste follows the nose except it's slightly more robust. Lots of bubblegum, clove and banana with a warm and toasty caramel background. Perhaps that could've added more hops, but I'm not complaining. 4.25/5.00

M: A little on the lighter side - almost like an American adjunct lager. Most bocks have a richer feel than this. 3.5/5.0

O: A solid brew. Has some drawbacks but is still good. 4/5

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

This brew pours a brown/orange copper color but can also look ruby red when held up to the light, with a one finger off white head. Moderate lacing remains on the glass until the end and some of the head remains in the form of a collar.

The smell is toasted and sweet malts, rich grains and maybe some spices. There is also a thick caramel malt backbone.

The taste follows the nose with sweet and toasted malts hitting first followed by the taste of grain then some light, spicy hops at the end. There is a strong caramel backbone throughout.

The feel is thick, bready and chewy.

Overall this is a very good beer and a good representation of the Oktoberfest style. This brew is perfect for a cool Autumn day.

I'm surprised at just how uninteresting this beer is. It smells like bread dough from yesterday, and tastes like it too. Just very bland with a metallic aftertaste. Poured from a bottle into a glass. The color and body are okay, but overall this just a step up from your average cornerstone macro, nothing special.

Maybe I just got a bad bottle but I don't see what the big deal is here. I'd try another in case I want to change my review, but I don't really want to spend money on another one of these when Sam Adams makes other brews that I actually like.

2.33/5  rDev -36.3%

Samuel Adams Octoberfest. Not Oktoberfest...but Octoberfest.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured for appearance

Appearance : Deep, rich firey amber red color with a large malty head about three fingers high. Leaves licks of lacing as it recedes at a moderate pace.

Smell : I wish I could pinpoint this smell that seemingly all Marzens have and it's so similar to fresh/clean/chlorine water. Someone's gotta know what I'm talking about. This one is pretty strong on this, but as the head recedes I get the following : roasted caramel malt, heavy nutmeg, toasted grains. Minimal hop smell. A clean smelling beer with hints of roast and spices.

Taste : Whoa. Definitely not a fan here. Artificial spice punches your face right away with loads of bitterness. It's basically a bitter soured pumpkin with traces of stale nutmeg. It's like they brewed an amber ale and then added allspice to create a harvest beer. If you drink it straight from the bottle you get a little more roasted pumpkin, but overall this is a major fail.

Mouthfeel : Mouthfeel isn't too bad, it's somewhere between creamy and carbonated. Very watery though. Finishes a bit syrupy.

Overall : I was excited to try this beer, and I'm trying to like it - I really am. But unfortunately the taste of the stale spice and the bitter sour pumpkin did it in for me. I don't know what the hype is about it, its very gross. Very mawkish and distasteful. Try some other Oktoberfests, you'll be glad you did. This is like the Bud Light of Oktoberfests. Just skip it.

I always look forward to picking this up when it becomes offered on shelves. I drink so much of it through the fall that it somewhat gets tiring, but it is a great beer and one of the best Octoberfest beers out there. I love the carmel and malt flavors.

Sam Adams Octoberfest.

I'll probably catch a lot of crap from the beer snobs but I expect it to be overridden by mass adulation from the people in my area (boston) for how high I rate this, and granted my views are skewed by a nostalgic feel this beer gives me, but I think this is a tremendous Americanized interpretation of the classic German Marzen for which it’s styled after. I don’t have a lot of other beers of this style to compare it to so maybe it’s the absolute bottom feeder of it’s class, but we’ll overlook my naivety and just focus on the beer itself.

One of Sam Adams more popular seasonal brews Octoberfest pours a dark ruby red that softly fades into a medium bodied copper. Poured at a finger and a half head into an Octoberfest styled dimpled beer mug (thanks Michele) my nostalgic side takes over as the summer humidity is immediately sucked from the room and the crisp apple picking morning fall air is ushered in in a zephyr of fall winds with the falling autumn leaves dropping at my feet, Glorious!

Beer has a chewy citrus to toffee flavor that finishes thick and sticks to the pallet and throat. Tastes like a 1 pm Sunday afternoon football kickoff…. Or a caramelized sugar coated and pan fried pear chased with heavy malts.
Smell is similar and quite appeakling

To me this beer *IS* fall. Popping open a can or bottle of this closes the door on BBQs and beach parties. Days at the pool and drenching humidity and ushers in football, leaf raking, frosted morning windshields and hoodie weather.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)