Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,020 | Hads: 6,816
4.3/5  rDev +17.5%

Octoberfest is very delicious. I taste its original lager taste mixed with small amounts of fall spices. Very easy to drink if your a lager or ale drinker like myself. i wouldn't expect anything less from Sam Adams their beers are always brewed i think the best on average (272 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -9.3%

Beer with amber liquid and little foam little training and short-lived. Liquid with little balls like that has little carbonation thing that is not true because when we drink we realized that this beer has a good carbonation. The aroma notes can notice toffee, biscuit and when I drank I noticed a roasted taste. Media drinkability (331 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sam Adams has hit another one out of the park. Octoberfest is truly one of their better beers, if not arguable their best.

I'm not much into cans, I really turn my nose up to them, but when the wife goes out and buys your beer you take what you get and you like it. :) In this case, I got lucky. Out of the can (I can't believe I'm writing that) I found the brew to be absolutely stunning - dark amber colored beer with a lightly tanned head. The head has great staying power with good lacing all the way down the glass. The smell was a roasted or toasted malt - rich, deep, and lightly sweet. I've had other Sam Adams and found them to be to carbonated for my taste, but Octoberfest was just at the right level of carbonation (IMHO). I could taste what I smelled - which is always a plus to me - and there was some distant sweetness to the beer.

My concerns that Sam Adams might be getting to big to really care about quality are totally unfounded - Octoberfest is truly something special. (993 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a copper amber with excellent clarity and a beige head of soft creamy faom that fell to a thick ring and wet, sticky lace. Some bubbles are floating up from the bottom. It reminds you of the colors of autumn leaves.

Nose is bready, malty and has a light sweetness. It's herbal and earthy. Ha sa nice malt presence on the nose that is sweet and deep.

Tasted is grans and malty depth with a crisp instead of heavy character. It's a little buttery and has a slightly slick mouthfeel. It does taste a bit like popcorn. Body si creamy but has plenty of carbonation to bite a little. There is a nice little spice character in the finish.

Finishes almost dry and with some nutty and earthy malts. Has a nice toasted quality but not much sweetness and the spice stays faint even though it does present a bit more on the nose an don the palate as the beer warms. My criticism of the taste is that buttery quality. I don't like it on the palate or in the mouthfeel. It has a sour little under taste and together with the buttery flavor is just not what I want. It sits heavy in the stomach even though it drinks pretty light. This is my first octoberfest beer. (1,160 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -13.7%

A: Has a dark orange near-brown color, like leaves changing colors. Good visibility, with lots of individual bubbles rising throughout its time in my glass. Surprisingly tenacious lacing.

S: Kinda faint, and mostly simple malts. Not getting any spices or fall harvest aromas I was hoping for to get me in the mood for pumpkin pie and apple picking.

T: Mostly malt, I get some faint warm spices on the finish, along with a bit of alcohol, toffee, and grains. Again, pretty light-bodied, but at least it doesn't have any strong sweetness from the malts, which I normally don't enjoy.

M: Great drinkability and crispness, although perhaps just a bit too much stomach-filling carbonation.

O: I wouldn't classify it as a fall beer, and even outside of that category it comes up just OK. Fine if you've run out of other brews at your picnic, but not a great one to start with. (874 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +4.4%

12 oz. bottle, with label notched at best before January 2014. I often confuse this beer with Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale, so I'm finally getting around to review this. Expectations are average, based on the brewery. I tend to find a lot of Samuel Adams beers to be very similar and boring.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter glass.

A - Pours about the same as the Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale. One finger of off-white head dissipates quickly. Body color is a dark chestnut / ruby color

S - Smells pretty nice. Crisp toasted malts, earthy, nutty, creamy. Soft notes of caramel and toffee. Hint of wine-like red grape presence. Has some of that strange buttery creamy popcorn smell that I found in Southern Tier Pumking.

T - Taste is of crisp toasted malts, cream, earthiness, nuttiness, maybe some dark cherries & raisins, leafy hops, and some light herbal spice.

M - Feel is crisp and clean with some light breadiness & nuttiness lingering on the palate. Ideal carbonation.

Overall, a lot better than expected, when you really sit down to enjoy it. A simple, classic, fresh representation of the style, and that is quite enough to satisfy me. Would probably be a nice gateway beer, for those who are look to dip their feet into the world of craft beer. Well done, Sam Adams.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest ---3.5/5 (1,326 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +6.8%

Full disclosure...I am pretty much a fan of all Sam Adams beers. This one is no exception. It has a beautiful color and I really like how well it keeps its head. The flavor does not disappoint. I am a fan of the fall because there are a lot of good beers like this around to enjoy. I certainly recommend this one. (313 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The Oktoberfest poured a beautiful deep amber with a distinct malty aroma. The taste was a great malt mixture with a bit of the sweet malt and toffee flavors and a touch of that familiar Samuel Adams hop flavor. I really enjoyed this beer and it's malt profile hit all the right Oktoberfest notes for me. It's a widely available brew during the season and one that is worth picking up. (385 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Great amber color with mild head and mild carbonation. Malty, slightly hoppy aroma. No really hops in the taste but a lot of malt flavor. Toffee with a hint of caramel and nuttiness to provide some slight bitterness, but not really toasted flavor. You can also taste the alcohol. A decent octoberfest. (301 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great aroma and a beautiful deep red-amber color. Subtle spice flavor. A very malty beer with very little bitterness. Found this to be a very smooth and easy drinking beer. Greatly enjoyed it. I have never really tried this style before and wasn't sure what to expect but this brew makes me want to seek out more Octoberfest/Oktoberfest brews to compare. One of my most favorites found so far! Would definitely have it again and recommend to others to try. (456 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I haven't had many lagers so I dont know what to compare it too, but I can say it is one of the few I like. It's a very very malty brew - a lot of people say they like it at barbeques and whatnot, but I actually like it when I'm drinking at home watching tv or playing games. (275 characters)

Sam Adams Octoberfest is the perfect beer for Autumn for me. Its a very well crafted beer in my opinion. I've had Sam's Octoberfest mostly in bottles or on tap. There's not too much of a difference between the two but on tap is better. I'd like to try the can soon but not really in a rush to. For me, Sam Adams Octoberfest is one of the few beers I get excited for when its released in "season". So much I like to buy in bulk and store it for months after when its Alpline Spring time or even Summer Ale of the next year.
Appearance-wise it has a golden brown color to it when poured. Almost like if they were to blend Autumn leaves into their beer. Very distinctive and easy to spot for me. Just a good sign my favorite season of Fall is around the corner.
Smell-wise it has a very malty German lager smell to it. Very malty and sweet with a hint of bitterness to it. Very well balanced.
Taste-wise Sam's Octoberfest has a lot of German influences in it. Full, malty, ecstatic for the taste buds, and with a hint of bitterness. To me just a perfect beer that tastes great and goes down very smoothly.
In the mouth its very refreshing and malty with a hint of bitterness while leaving you wanting more. Very smooth and full.
Overall Sam Adams Octoberfest is one of my top 5 beers. Its not for everyone but it will always be a favorite of mine and god help it if it stays in my fridge. (1,387 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured from a 12oz standard pressure-cap bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Finger cream-colored head with low retention. Walnut-colored body with moderate clarity and middling carbonation.

S- Some caramel malts, spices and warm notes.

T- Warm, caramel and malty. Has a bit of a spicy note at the end of the taste.

M- Thicker and bubbly.

O- Not much to say about this. Middling. (392 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -26%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark, almost murky brown. Not much head or lacing to speak of.

S: Doesn't smell like much, there's a faint aroma that I think smells a bit like corn, but it's very subtle.

T: It doesn't taste bad, but it's not a remarkable taste either. Bitter aftertaste.

M: Robust and full. Average carbonation.

O: Got this beer as part of a seasonal sampler. I don't think I'd seek it out to buy on its own, but I don't think I'd refuse it if someone were to offer me one again. I could take this beer or leave it, really. There are better Octoberfests to be had. (600 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 fl oz bottle poured into a 0.5 L dimpled stein.

A - Gives about an inch of lasting off-white head over a dark amber body. This beer is clear with light carbonation and mild lacing. Head fades into a thin layer.

S - Malty caramel aroma with a touch of bread.

T - Sweet, malty caramel flavors jump out at you from the start. Don't feel this to be excessively sweet. Toasty and biscuity touch lingers until the next sip and is balanced out with a very mild yet persistent bitterness.

M - LIght carbonation and medium-to-full body that is quite chewy.

O - I'm really enjoying this year's Oktoberfest from Sam Adams. I'm partial to the amber Marzens and their caramel flavor so this one just hits the spot for me. I definitely wish this beer would be offered year-round and am looking forward to see what Jim Koch and the guys at BBC come up with for next year. Glad I still have a few of these left in the fridge. (917 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a shaker. A moderate pour results in a 3/4 inch off-white head that sticks around pretty well. The beer is a somewhat pale yellowish-brown with a little bit of red.

I detect quite a bit of cooked corn aromas and flavors here, with maybe a little diacetyl. Very little hop aroma/flavor, and generally lacking any toastiness or complex malt flavors. A little bit of sourness in the aftertaste, with a bit of sweetness from the malt.

I'm not very impressed with this beer- it's drinkable and that's about it. Boston lager and ale is much better. I tried this last Fall and was similarly disappointed- I had hoped that bad feedback would have led the brewers to reconsider their recipe. This tastes more like a really corny malt liquor rather than an Octy. Boo! There are MUCH better Octoberfest brews out there. (845 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a true amber with a short off-white head that quickly recedes. Little to no lacing.

Nice slightly sweet, slightly spicy smell. Taste follows the nose, with malts and vanilla up front, not-too-sweet brown sugar and caramel notes towards the middle, and biscuity flavors at the end. There's also a little hop coolness that helps to balance things out. Also a hint of clove and sometimes a slightly metallic twang.

The most impressive thing about this beer is the rich, creamy mouthfeel. There's not a ton of depth though, and it doesn't last very long on the palate. A solid brew overall. (594 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into stein.

Pours a rich orange/brown with a finger and a half finger of off white head. Smells very sweet and bready, with a hint of roastiness. Tastes like sweet caramel, bread, and roasted malts with no hop profile. It has a very thin body and low to moderate carbonation. Nothing impressive, but it's got a good solid sweet roasted malt backbone. It was good paired with sausage, but left me wanting more in the mouthfeel. (447 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -41.3%

I'll preface my comments by saying I don't consider myself an expert in any kind of specific beer, but I do feel that I'm developing a more "qualified" eval of certain types (probably 'cause I like them the most!) ... and the Oktoberfest is up on the top of those beers I think I know.

The Sam Adams is a totally "un-rememberable" brew. The nose is underwhelming, and the taste and mouth feel don't help the first impressions at all.

I'll not be bringing any of these home... (477 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Gotten in this year's Fall Sampler twelve pack with a freshness date of Dec. 2013.

This pours an absolutely beautiful copper-amber with decent head and lacing. Crystal clear and a lot of carbonation. A little bit more carbonation than I would have liked to see, honestly, but it's no big problem.

Smell is very malty and sweet with some toast and caramel notes, a some yeasty and metallic notes, and a faint touch of hops. Overall scent profile is sweet and bready. Taste is again sweet and bready, some sweet earthy tones and a touch of hops on the swallow. It's also a bit spicy to me, which is nice, but I've had better beers. However this is refreshing and not overpowering. Mouthfeel is crisp and a little on the watery side like lagers tend to be, and sticky.

Overall this is a nice beer and one that I would definitely drink on a cooler day; maybe the fact that it's hatefully hot has put me off this beer a little bit, so I apologize if my rating is a little bit skewed. I would drink this again, but wouldn't go out of my way for it.

To good health and good beer. (1,079 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served in a snifter.

A: pours a clear golden orange color with a short off white head that dissipates fast leaving small amounts of lacing.

S: Smells of wheat, yeast, malts, spices

T: Mellow, crisp, sweet taste. Tastes of wheat, hints of citrus and fruit, yeast, malts, sugars, very smooth

M: Medium bodied with medium amounts of carbonation, fairly balanced

O: Overall, another pretty good beer from Sam Adams, nothing extraordinary but still pretty enjoyable and I would not mind having another, recommended. (517 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Very nice copper to orange color pouring about one finger of foamy head that stuck around. Very clear.

S - Caramel and toffee malts with a slight grassy hop backbone. Not too strong of a nose.

T - Big, bold, sweet caramel and toffee malts, slight grassy and citrus hop finish. Tasty!

M - Light to medium body, good carbonation. Very sessionable.

O - This was a very tasty beer, perfect for when you want something with allot of malty flavor but still want something that's very drinkable. (543 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -24.6%

Appearance: a good copper-red coloring that i'd expect from an Oktoberfest. Some head on the edges and over the surface of the beer.

Smell: this smells like a thick, full bodied beer. I can also smell the alcohol. A certain maltiness/hops is also noticed when i smell the beer. This doesn't smell particularly appealing.

Taste: Not so much the full bodied taste that i was expecting after smelling the beer. Also a strong taste of alcohol is definitely felt when sipping the beer. Malty bitter taste, w/ alcohol on the end. I don't taste a full bodied flavor thats supposed to be in a Oktoberfest, and I don't really enjoy this particular beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, and the thickness is perfect. I really like the mouthfeel of this beer. There is some dryness which is to be expected w/ this beer style.

Overall: this beer looks the part and feels the part. But i don't taste the full bodied flavor that i was expecting from a Samuel Adams brew. The smell itself is what i'd expect from this type of beer, but doesn't appear to me. Taste just brings it down. (1,073 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a beautifully clear dark copper color with definite ruby highlights, especially in direct light. Nice active carbonation keeps a thin head alive, although there is little to no lacing present.

S - Mild aroma, mostly of sweet malts. Toffee, brown sugar. That sort of thing.

T - Much more subtle than I remember. I was worried about being overwhelmed by the malt character, but it actually works really well. The sweetness is present, but not overpowering. Similar flavors to the smell.

M - Nothing exciting. Medium bodied, actually a little watery.

O - I've really enjoyed this beer with food. I think this is the freshest I've had it, and it's not too shabby. Its too sweet for me to session, definitely pairs well with food from salmon to hot dogs. (763 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -10.9%

I used to absolutely love this beer. I recently realized that I just love Octoberfests...and in fact, this is not a great one. As such, I have lowered my rating several times in an attempt to rate this beer not just in terms of how much I like it on its own, but also its standing within its (particularly well-defined and storied) genre.

Almost no detectable hop aroma. The malts are great-- big and sweet. Mouthfeel is similarly malty and partially coating. However, where I feel this falls short of other 'Fests is the complete lack of both bittering hop character (which should be minimal, but present) and noble hop flavor. This could have been brewed with a similar amount of Cascade without a noticeable effect...if there are nice German hops in here, you wouldn't know it.

Drinkable and tasty but one-dimensional and tiresome. (836 characters)

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)