2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Reviews: 1914

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,953 | Reviews: 1,914 | Show All Ratings:
Goosehunter75

Missouri

3.43/5  rDev -6.5%

A - Pours a deep rusty orange. A very clear beer with great carbonation and one finger white head. Average retention and lacing

S - Very light aromas. Mainly caramel malts with a slight nuttiness to it

T - Very good flavor. Nice and malty with a nutty caramel flavor. Reminds me of fall

M - Light to medium body. Slightly creamy and very smooth.

O - A good offering by Sam Adams. Easy drinking with a great flavor. Not an earth shattering beer, but one I could enjoy several of in one sitting.

10-17-2013 22:46:18 | More by Goosehunter75
Hex

Kentucky

3.74/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Before we get started, allow me to admit that I have always held a grudge against Sam Adams up until now. This is a worthy enough beer to obtain positive feedback, despite my animosit towards the Boston brewery.

A- pretty decent looking beer here. Nice red color similar to the color of New Castl . Werewolf, with a much better head. Head isn't really much for conversation though... kindashy. Lacings not the best but what I would expect from Sam.

S- nice and sweat like an angelfood cake. Has some pumpkin in there with a lil ccinnamon and nutmeg. Really great smell for a fall beer but a wee bit counterproductive considering that this is labeled Oktoberfest. (Just because October is in the name doesn't mean we harvest crops for beer.)

T- regardless what the label says, this is a good tasting beer. Completely identicalto ssmell and very malty and nice and bready. Well balanced with some spice on the aftermath. Can't complain.

M- mouthfeel is a little heavy bodied but not too much considering the appearance. Between medium and heavy I guess. Chewy, but... just a smidge.

O- overall this beer deserves a try out. See for yourself that I AM right about this one. This will turn a micro-brewery junkies head in a heart beat.

10-13-2013 06:58:02 | More by Hex
Act25

3.29/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

You can pass on this one. Middle of the road.

A Pours a crystal clear dark amber with a thick, off-white head with only a little bit of lace and retention.

S: Mostly grain, malt, a bit musty and metallic. Otherwise in the right direction.

T: Overwhelmingly malty. Malts are sweet and chewy. Notes of candied raisin, fruitcake, plum cake (not my favorites). Not enough herbal hop spice -- and too little bitterness. Metallic, grain, tin can, mineral flavors. As Alstrom wrote an old steel finish - agree.

F: lots carbonation, thin, a little cloying, not a great food beer or great finish.

O: I would pass, this is safe and unoriginal, with too many off, stale, and metallic notes clutter a thin experience.

10-12-2013 01:12:31 | More by Act25
zac16125

South Carolina

3.26/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a crystal clear, dark amber-brown with 1.5 fingers width of off white colored head. Head dissipates down fairly slowly and leaves only very small amounts of lacing.

S: Malty, there is this bizarre sweet and spice combination that I swear smells like spaghetti sauce, caramel malt.

T: Lots of malts, caramel, a sugary sweetness-much sweeter than I anticipated, a bit of spice. At first I really like this, a lot, but I like it less and less as I continue to drink (not sure if thats because of it warming or just my palate adjusting to the flavors). There is a bitterness, although it doesnt really taste like hop bitterness.

M/D: Full bodied, moderate carbonation, drinkability is average.

O: Well this certainly isnt my favorite style, but I enjoyed this one more than most. Doubt I'll ever drink it again, but it was worth a try.

10-09-2013 23:43:29 | More by zac16125
patpbr

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Amber and copper color with an off white head
S - the smell is malty
T - I get mostly malts. noticing a good amount of sweetness and a a little bit of hops
M - Medium body and a little carbination. goes down smooth
O - The first seasonal Sam Adams in awhile, Its one of the better ones I have had.

10-08-2013 04:21:17 | More by patpbr
NiceTaps

3.64/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap in a standard pint glass, room temp.

A- A dark copper-amber color with remarkable clarity and pretty lively carbonation. A healthy head, big and linen white in color, left lots of lacing.

S- Standard bready malts, some caramel sweetness, floral.

T- Big malt backbone, breads and grains. A touch of spiciness for the season.

M- Medium feel and good carbonation. Finishes dry and funky.

O- The big head and lacing were impressive, the beer looked good. As SA offerings go, this was good for me. I seem to pick up a 'funkiness' in SA beers that I can't quite put my finger on, this is no exception.

10-07-2013 00:35:50 | More by NiceTaps
youngs11

Rhode Island

3.59/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Normal pour from bottle into pint glass

Appears dark copper in color, mostly clear. Little to no lacing or head, settles to a thin film of bubbly foam.

Smells malty and bready, a hint of sweet fruit.

Taste follows the smell almost identically. The major backbone is malt. There is a hint of hops bitterness, but it is quickly masked by a nutty finish that leaves a fresh bread aftertaste.

MF is smooth and silky. medium carbonation with medium to heavy body. Slight stickiness.

Overall this is an excellent beer. Kind of like a lager that is less bitter than red ale and lighter in body than a brown ale. A great seasonal for a great price.

10-06-2013 18:10:30 | More by youngs11
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

12oz can ~$1.20. Dark amber color, good head, touch of lace. Aroma of wheat bread, yeast, ok. Flavor is slightly sweet, bready malts, thick. Overall I am not sure how well this represents the style since I suck at lagers but it was good enough last year that I made sure to buy some more this year.

10-06-2013 05:25:28 | More by ArrogantB
getmeabeer

Connecticut

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

I found this to be a very rich, and smooth offering from Sam Adams. I am a fan of Octoberfest bears and Sams didn't disappoint for a large beer brewer.

Poured into a pint glass with a deep copper, amber color. Creamy thick head with a touch of lacing that stuck around even after a few sips.

Smell - was that of mild malt, roasted barley with a slight floral hint.

Taste - initial taste is floral and nutty yet not overly sweet with a hint of caramel, and autumn spice towards the end.

Mouthfeel - very drinkable light, crisp, medium carbonation seasonal

This is not a bad offering from Sam Adams and overall a very drinkable beer. 4 pints later and I didn't get tired of it.

10-06-2013 01:57:11 | More by getmeabeer
jhawth

3.51/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Poured into a nonic. Pours a clear orange-ish red with a creamy looking finger-and-a-half head. Head dissipates relatively quickly.

Aroma: Hearty malt notes. Fresh brown bread, caramel, milk chocolate-y notes, a touch of buttered toast.

Taste: Follows nose, though flavors blend together more . Very mild roasty astringency.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, light carbonation. Easy to drink, as an Oktoberfest beer should be.

Overall: Solid seasonal offering from Sam Adams, I have fond memories of this one and am glad to see it in cans. Perhaps not the best American interpretation of the style, but a certainly a worthy beer.

10-02-2013 05:09:35 | More by jhawth
jawlessbody

Indiana

3.1/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle into a nonic glass, this beer is a very clear amber color with a very thin head that left no lacing on the glass. The aroma was not exactly pleasant, mostly just sour malt. The flavor was incredibly one note, just lots of sweet malt flavors with a only hint of toastiness. Decent beer, but I don't know that I would recommend it to a friend.

09-30-2013 04:44:45 | More by jawlessbody
SteveTheDog

3.51/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

a nice refreshing production from Sam Adams. Nice pour, looks like a crisp fall day. Smells a little sweet and has a nice smooth taste with a long finish. Good mouthfeel, nice aftertaste. It would be accompanied well by a good bratwurst which I was unfortunately bereft of.

09-29-2013 22:27:32 | More by SteveTheDog
DrewsBrews450

3.81/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

ruby red in color, pours a thin head that struggles to stay. the smell is earthy, caramal, toffee. the taste follows with a woody start and a nutty finish and the caramal toffee sweetness the whole way through. bitterness just enough to keep it drinkable. mouthfeel is medium with a thin bite. i think alot of people miss the depth of this beer becasue it's just another sam adams beer, but this one is pretty good.

09-29-2013 04:47:25 | More by DrewsBrews450
RyanH

Georgia

3.59/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First, I like the brewery and I like the seasonal selections Samuel Adams offers. Biased, I am. Amber with a ruddy hint in color. Poured smooth but the head was smaller than I remembered in the past. The taste was better than most Octoberfest-type beers I've tried, though not the best. Good, but not the best. HOWEVER ... I happened to try this particular offering last Sunday for the 1st time this year. The wife prepared some pork chops with baked sweet potatoes. OMG. This Octoberfest paired with that meal, especially the sweet potatoes, was pure Nirvana. We immediately planned to have friends over in a few weeks just so we can entertain this Samuel Adams Octoberfest with the pork and sweet potato. It is Slap-Yo-Mama Good. Overall, the beer itself is good but what makes a beer is, IMHO, the meal it compliments. The point is the beer is good, but with the right meal, on the right day, THAT is what makes the experience. Look, the beer is above average. Enjoy it.

09-28-2013 00:35:35 | More by RyanH
Huffs

3.74/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Sam Adams glass and a nice off white head developed with mild lacing and retention. Great caramel / copper color which was clear. Aroma was mild with hints of caramel and malt. Tasted very malty with a slighty toasted toffee taste on the back. Some spicy and caramel hints. Mouthfeel was full and creamy with a mild and sweet aftertaste.

09-26-2013 20:56:07 | More by Huffs
jmbranum

Oklahoma

3.81/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Crystal clear brown-amber liquid with a generous off-white head.

Aroma is the weakest point of this beer. Malty but a few odd adjunct notes. Not bad at all but not especially good either really.

Flavor is better. Malty and rich, but not cloyingly sweet. A little bit of toastyness. A very little bit of maple and caramel. Just a little hops. Nice finish.

Medium to full mouthfeel.

Overall a better than average Octoberfest. I would drink it again.

09-26-2013 19:49:22 | More by jmbranum
EmpiricalBill

3.61/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

A few Sam Adams beers really stand out to me. The traditional lager is pretty good. Old Fezziwig is inexplicably one of my favorites. I sometimes really want the Boston Ale. However, when September rolls around my German side (25%) overpowers all that and insists that I glug down as much of the Octoberfest (spelled wrong, it's got a 'K' people!) as I can get. I'm not a big fan of the characteristic Sam Adams carbonation scheme so I'm knocking it on mouthfeel. However, I love the color and the taste is solid, particularly on tap. It doesn't hold up to real German Oktoberfests but I still respect Sam Adams and love this beer.

09-25-2013 23:22:51 | More by EmpiricalBill
Johnnyboy12

4.33/5  rDev +18%

Octoberfest is very delicious. I taste its original lager taste mixed with small amounts of fall spices. Very easy to drink if your a lager or ale drinker like myself. i wouldn't expect anything less from Sam Adams their beers are always brewed i think the best on average

09-24-2013 16:53:12 | More by Johnnyboy12
roggia

Brazil

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Beer with amber liquid and little foam little training and short-lived. Liquid with little balls like that has little carbonation thing that is not true because when we drink we realized that this beer has a good carbonation. The aroma notes can notice toffee, biscuit and when I drank I noticed a roasted taste. Media drinkability

09-24-2013 00:07:45 | More by roggia
jjamadorphd

4.24/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sam Adams has hit another one out of the park. Octoberfest is truly one of their better beers, if not arguable their best.

I'm not much into cans, I really turn my nose up to them, but when the wife goes out and buys your beer you take what you get and you like it. :) In this case, I got lucky. Out of the can (I can't believe I'm writing that) I found the brew to be absolutely stunning - dark amber colored beer with a lightly tanned head. The head has great staying power with good lacing all the way down the glass. The smell was a roasted or toasted malt - rich, deep, and lightly sweet. I've had other Sam Adams and found them to be to carbonated for my taste, but Octoberfest was just at the right level of carbonation (IMHO). I could taste what I smelled - which is always a plus to me - and there was some distant sweetness to the beer.

My concerns that Sam Adams might be getting to big to really care about quality are totally unfounded - Octoberfest is truly something special.

09-22-2013 21:39:30 | More by jjamadorphd
utopiajane

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a copper amber with excellent clarity and a beige head of soft creamy faom that fell to a thick ring and wet, sticky lace. Some bubbles are floating up from the bottom. It reminds you of the colors of autumn leaves.

Nose is bready, malty and has a light sweetness. It's herbal and earthy. Ha sa nice malt presence on the nose that is sweet and deep.

Tasted is grans and malty depth with a crisp instead of heavy character. It's a little buttery and has a slightly slick mouthfeel. It does taste a bit like popcorn. Body si creamy but has plenty of carbonation to bite a little. There is a nice little spice character in the finish.

Finishes almost dry and with some nutty and earthy malts. Has a nice toasted quality but not much sweetness and the spice stays faint even though it does present a bit more on the nose an don the palate as the beer warms. My criticism of the taste is that buttery quality. I don't like it on the palate or in the mouthfeel. It has a sour little under taste and together with the buttery flavor is just not what I want. It sits heavy in the stomach even though it drinks pretty light. This is my first octoberfest beer.

09-17-2013 17:00:22 | More by utopiajane
1000lbgrizzly

3.15/5  rDev -14.2%

A: Has a dark orange near-brown color, like leaves changing colors. Good visibility, with lots of individual bubbles rising throughout its time in my glass. Surprisingly tenacious lacing.

S: Kinda faint, and mostly simple malts. Not getting any spices or fall harvest aromas I was hoping for to get me in the mood for pumpkin pie and apple picking.

T: Mostly malt, I get some faint warm spices on the finish, along with a bit of alcohol, toffee, and grains. Again, pretty light-bodied, but at least it doesn't have any strong sweetness from the malts, which I normally don't enjoy.

M: Great drinkability and crispness, although perhaps just a bit too much stomach-filling carbonation.

O: I wouldn't classify it as a fall beer, and even outside of that category it comes up just OK. Fine if you've run out of other brews at your picnic, but not a great one to start with.

09-16-2013 05:39:16 | More by 1000lbgrizzly
mfnmbvp

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

12 oz. bottle, with label notched at best before January 2014. I often confuse this beer with Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale, so I'm finally getting around to review this. Expectations are average, based on the brewery. I tend to find a lot of Samuel Adams beers to be very similar and boring.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter glass.

A - Pours about the same as the Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale. One finger of off-white head dissipates quickly. Body color is a dark chestnut / ruby color

S - Smells pretty nice. Crisp toasted malts, earthy, nutty, creamy. Soft notes of caramel and toffee. Hint of wine-like red grape presence. Has some of that strange buttery creamy popcorn smell that I found in Southern Tier Pumking.

T - Taste is of crisp toasted malts, cream, earthiness, nuttiness, maybe some dark cherries & raisins, leafy hops, and some light herbal spice.

M - Feel is crisp and clean with some light breadiness & nuttiness lingering on the palate. Ideal carbonation.

Overall, a lot better than expected, when you really sit down to enjoy it. A simple, classic, fresh representation of the style, and that is quite enough to satisfy me. Would probably be a nice gateway beer, for those who are look to dip their feet into the world of craft beer. Well done, Sam Adams.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest ---3.5/5

09-15-2013 21:08:20 | More by mfnmbvp
monorailred

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

Full disclosure...I am pretty much a fan of all Sam Adams beers. This one is no exception. It has a beautiful color and I really like how well it keeps its head. The flavor does not disappoint. I am a fan of the fall because there are a lot of good beers like this around to enjoy. I certainly recommend this one.

09-14-2013 01:19:48 | More by monorailred
brurevu

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The Oktoberfest poured a beautiful deep amber with a distinct malty aroma. The taste was a great malt mixture with a bit of the sweet malt and toffee flavors and a touch of that familiar Samuel Adams hop flavor. I really enjoyed this beer and it's malt profile hit all the right Oktoberfest notes for me. It's a widely available brew during the season and one that is worth picking up.

09-13-2013 16:47:43 | More by brurevu
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)