Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
PatronWizard

3.55/5  rDev -3.3%

2008, I hope.

Orange tinted beer bottle brown. Head up, head down.

Big malt smell. Maybe a cherry. Some sweet fruit.

Malts are big in the taste. I swear I taste that cherry too.

So I don't have a lot to say about this one. Shoot me.

Overall: Sam Adams continues to be a solid go-to

10-04-2008 05:19:29 | More by PatronWizard
FSUmac

Tennessee

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

On tap at the Flying Saucer in Memphis, TN....

Appearance: Pours a nice deep reddish brown with a 1 finger head. Not much retention.

Smell: Malty and sweet with some molasses.

Taste: Malty like the style should be. Caramel with a slight slight hint of hops. Excellent rendition of the style.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is well balanced. I really enjoy this beer when it comes out every year. It's a nice change up for all of the IPAs.

10-04-2008 00:31:03 | More by FSUmac
Slynger

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Nice clear oranged amber color with a cap of finely bubbled dirty white.

Light nose of mostly toasted and caramel, with a hint of fruits and a dash of spice.

Flavors of toasted, biscuity malts with a caramel/darkish fruit sweetness and some lightly musty, nutty, earthy-floral hops. The body is a touch watery of medium, with a modest amount of fine, fizzy carbonation.

Not bad. A mediocre, widely available, american version of the style. Fortunately I have access to some better regional offerings, namely Great Lakes.

10-03-2008 22:04:23 | More by Slynger
generallee

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a dimpled mug.

Appearance: It has a dark amber color with good clarity. The head is light tan in color, creamy and about average in size. It has good retention as it slowly fades to light covering that hangs on until the last sip.

Smell: The aroma is full of all the sweet caramel-like malt that you would expect along with some decent mineral/herbal hops.

Taste/Mouth feel: Its flavor has solid, sweet and bready malt with caramel notes and hints of apple-like fruitiness. Hop flavor comes in and adds a good spicy and herbal presence to the middle and finish. It finishes slowly and has a slick texture with good carbonation and a medium to full body.

Notes: Football, Halloween candy, and sucking down some Sam Adams Octoberfest with my father, these are a few of my favorite things.

10-02-2008 03:40:50 | More by generallee
oriolesfan4

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

The best part about this beer is the appearance and the smell. I bought a bunch of octoberfest beers lately and this was better than most of them but outshined by a good amount too. Very malty with some fall spices thrown in but I found it just decent in drinkability and taste. Maybe this style just doesn't sit well with me?

10-02-2008 00:44:04 | More by oriolesfan4
NHGrafx

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle.

Pours a very clean dark amber color, 2 finger head that dissipates down to a thin layer of bubbles and foam after a minute. This one makes some nice lacing too.

The aroma has a light sweetness to it. Hints of caramel and malts with a light hop aroma.

The taste is mainly malts. There is a nice spiciness to it as well which makes my tongue tingle a bit. I can detect very slight hints of a caramel like flavor as too. The hop flavor seems pretty light to me, but it is there. Semi bitter on the finish. Carbonation seems moderate, good mouthfeel. Drinkability is pretty good too.

Overall a pretty nice seasonal offering from Sam Adams, of the 4 this one has always been my favorite.

10-01-2008 22:25:33 | More by NHGrafx
Smixam

Connecticut

4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

On tap, pint glass.

A - Almost as good as a beer can look. Rich, clear brown body with a tan 1-2 finger head. Very inviting.

S - If there's a weak point for this beer, I guess it has to be this. Not that it's bad, just nothing special - Malty and earthy, very typical of Octoberfest brews.

T - Solid malt profile, very rich but not overpowering. Very subtle alcohol content lets you really taste this brew. Small amount of hops simply to balance the malt, and a very earthy finish. Aftertaste isn't great, but isn't strong either - think 'brown ale,' and that's it. If you can 'taste' fall, this is it.

M - Solid throughout, this one hangs around for a bit after you drink it. Nothing bitter or heavy about it though, just a nice nutty/oak finish, much like a brown ale.

D - Again, can't tell the alcohol content with this one. Nothing keeping you from drinking this beer all afternoon - it's fine alone and can be paired with almost anything - chips, burgers, steaks, chicken - you name it, it'll work.

The best of the seasonal brews from Mr. Adams, by far.

10-01-2008 20:01:58 | More by Smixam
whiteangel1238

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

Went to Philly Beer Fests' Octoberfest last weekend. Out of all of them(Spaten, Paulaner, Otter Creek, Spaten, Hacker, Weyerbacher, etc.), this was the best. I guess particularly, this year's batch. It changes each year.

Robust Malty taste, but not too sweet. Level of carbonation staying power is very nice, for a malty Octoberfest. Nice bite to it. As opposed to a Spaten Octoberfest which is a brew that gets syrupy when room temp.

It's Appearance exactly what you look for in an Octoberfest- a nice dark orange, head lingers for about 10 minutes.

I can drink about 4 or 5, then Im full. This beer is probably close to 250 calories a bottle.

Great with bratwurst dishes in autumn

10-01-2008 19:22:00 | More by whiteangel1238
sethmeister

New Hampshire

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Bottle marked best before June 09.

Clear bubbly luminous amber with a large cream colored head which drops to a film quickly. Very attractive.

Scent unfortunately is hard to detect. All I get is a faint grassy odor.

Taste is caramel and toffee balanced with a slight hop bitterness. Diacetyl and perhaps a hint of toast. A slight peppery flavor in the finish.

Mouthfeel is crisp and nicely carbonated up front becoming round and creamy.

Not the best Oktoberfest around but certainly not bad and I did enjoy drinking it.

09-30-2008 22:59:11 | More by sethmeister
shadow1961

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Samuel Adams Octoberfest pours two good fingers of loose foam over
a clear amber brew. There's almost no carbonation in this sample, and
the nose is mild toasty malts and a bit of herbal hop. The flavor is sweetish
up front- with notes of butterscotch lightly balanced by some mildly peppery
hops off the back. Mouthfeel is pretty round for a lager but by no means heavy.
Ofests are supposed to be pretty easy drinking and this one certainly fits the
bill. This particular one doesn't blow me away but it gets the job done. Do try
as many Octoberfests at this time of the year, and make this one of them.

09-30-2008 19:14:28 | More by shadow1961
daledeee

Iowa

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

I went out for a meal and noticed this on tap.

I received my pint glass and it had virtually no head. Sorry, I must discount this beer due to the bar's poor kegging ability.

Nose was weak due to no head. Some malt and hops.

Taste was very drinkable and loaded with nice roasted malts and hops and some caramel behind that. Mouthfeel was still tingly even though there was no head. Overall a rather enjoyable beer.

09-30-2008 02:52:36 | More by daledeee
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%

12oz bottle into my excuse for a stein. Best by Feb 2009, so this is fresh

A: Copper colored pour with a massive two-finger thick beige head. Tons of visible carbonation

S: Bready and mildly spicy with a hint of hops; mildly citrus like. Solid!

T: Starts off rich and malty with wonderful caramel sweetness to go with the bready character. There's a hint of a pepper-like spice that, while uncommon for style, works really well here. The finish is dry and very tasty

M: Light -to- medium in body with excellent carbonation and a great finish, this one's great

D: This is definitely one of my favorites. Well done, Jim Koch!

09-30-2008 00:32:09 | More by DefenCorps
thequeen711

3.2/5  rDev -12.8%

I thought this was a pretty good offering from the vats of Sam Adams. This seasonal Oktoberfest is light and refreshing, with just a hint of caramel. The hops and malt were well balanced and almost refreshing. This is one of the better Oktoberfest beers,

09-29-2008 03:53:15 | More by thequeen711
adamette

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Served from bottle into clear glass earlier today.

A Thin head which dissapeared reasonably quickly. Brown, caramel body which is very typical of many Oktoberfests I have had.

S Very malty, moderate smell with some hops detectable. A very smooth smell.

T Malts dominate with some hops (much like the nose).

M Very smooth, moderately full.

D Just fine but nothing that gets me too excited.

Notes: This struck me as a very "safe" brew from Sam Adams but unfortunately for me a little bit boring. On the positive side it is certainly a fair example of an Oktoberfest and anyone buying or drinking this will not be dissapointed there.

09-29-2008 02:26:10 | More by adamette
DeepSix

3.43/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured into a pint glass. Started with a nice head that stayed around for a little while. A light amber color with carbonation visible. Slight lacing visible.

I really don't smell much here, maybe a touch of malt, but was kinda disappointed here.

Tastes pretty watery actually for this dark of a beer, some minor sweetness visible, along with malt, no hops to speak of. Light mouthfeel, thought I'd get something thicker, but given the watery taste I can't say I was surprised. The carbonation was fairly light given that I saw in the body.

I guess not a terrible seasoning offering, I don't really like their 2 warmer months ones, so eh. I remember this tasting a lot better on the taster I had the other week, maybe this one of those beer that you have to drink on tap or this just a bad six pack, I'm sure I'll have it again at some point

09-29-2008 01:45:46 | More by DeepSix
theboozecruise

Louisiana

3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

Had this one on tap at the Chimes recently as was not impressed, but after hearing good things from friends I picked up a 6-pack. I tried it again, pouring from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

I must have just gotten a bad pint on draft, because this one was much better out of the bottle. A nice copperish color with a creamy head... nutty, malty aroma, and a taste that stays the same. A hint of fruit and a little bit sweet, a very nice balance of the flavors.

I like this one a lot on second review... very nice American Octoberfest!

09-28-2008 19:14:28 | More by theboozecruise
hdofu

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

This beer was odd, a little sweet, not much head left when it got to the table, what did remain was a thin white lacing on it's surface. The beer color was also an unusual redishorange color. The smell was sweet malt. Tasted mostly malty and bitter sweet had a bit of a hop finish. Felt sort of watery without the carbonation some beers pack. Overall the beer is resonably drinkable.

09-28-2008 17:27:13 | More by hdofu
OtherShoe2

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

Received a nice deep orange brew with a fair off-white head, no lacing.

Smells faintly of malt and some hoppiness.

Some sugary malt flavors, but the sweetness is limited. Very good toasty bread notes and these flavors remain in the finish. Finish is almost a dry toast taste.

Medium body, limited carbonation in this draft glass.

You can put a few down. Had some boneless buffalo wings and this cleared the palate well. Decent beer, worth having one or two each time the season rolls around.

09-27-2008 21:43:52 | More by OtherShoe2
tdawgydog

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

I had this beer on tap poured into a 22oz frosted mug @ Outback Steakhouse. I have had this beer in the past and I was never really a big fan of it. This time was different. I'm not sure if it is a difference in the bottled version but in the past I always remember a sour aftertaste. The Octoberfest I had on tap last night did not display the same characteristics. In fact it was quite enjoyable. It pours a nice dark copper, the head had dissapated by the time the beer was brought to my table. The taste is very grainy, but enjoyable. I would probably try it again on tap if not just to confirm that my previous recollection of the beer was incorrect.

09-27-2008 19:46:45 | More by tdawgydog
Brew33

2.98/5  rDev -18.8%

I must confess, I am not a huge fan of Octoberfest/Vienna Lagers. This beer is disappointing to me to say the least.

It is a good looking beer, when it arrived I was optimistic. I try at least a couple SA Octoberfest's each year. I remembered it being malty and sweet. That it was but with no discernable hop flavor and very little nuance. It was bordering on bland. It smells malty/grainy and sweet but the smell is faint.

It would be easy to drink a few of these but I doubt I will. The flavor and complexity of this beer doesn't match the Sam Adams price tag. I'd rather drink a Yuengling or a Shiner Bock.

09-27-2008 15:24:57 | More by Brew33
Arsenal82

3.43/5  rDev -6.5%

This beer poured an amber/copper color with little to no head and very little lacing. Very little carbonation. The smell was of caramel, orange peel. Hops were present to balance out the malts. It went down smooth, but a bit watered down. A little carbonation feel on the tongue and with a bitter aftertaste. It goes pretty good with the Autumn weather up here in New England.

09-26-2008 17:00:47 | More by Arsenal82
Ljunkan

Sweden

3.55/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours an amber color with a small mediumsized white head, which dies after a while.

The smell is of malt, caramel with notes of citrusy hops. Pretty good.

The taste is quite sweet with notes of malt, caramel and citrusy hops. Quite nice.

Mouthfeel is very average, a bit thin, with not that much carbonation.

It's a highly drinkable beer, though not that exciting.

09-26-2008 15:48:28 | More by Ljunkan
explosivebeer

Washington

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

Probably my favorite of the Sam Adams line. This beer has a light, clear brownish-amber color with little head. The aroma is all malt, mostly caramel. The body has a load of malty goodness, again caramel, and a small but significant underlying bitterness to balance. It is easy to drink and generally enjoyable.

09-26-2008 05:10:38 | More by explosivebeer
dbtoe

Wisconsin

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Look a dark golden body with a 2 finger head that reduced to a thin cap.

Smell sweet malt and maybe a hint of hops.

Taste not as sweet as I thought it would be from the smell a very nice toasted caramel malt with a touch of hop bitterness to even out the flavor.

Feel real good carbonation and a smooth creamy body

Drink very drinkable smooth tasting beer.

Comment this is a very good O-fest. I'll be getting this one again.

09-25-2008 18:39:43 | More by dbtoe
johnd513

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

Picked this up to try an Oktoberfest since the selection was slim. This beer pours a clear copper color with a small tan head that quickly disappears with very little lacing. Smells of malt bread and a nice herbal aroma, a little sweet. Taste is malty, toasted malts and bread with a nice herbal flavor. Mouthfeel was of medium body and nicely carbonated and smooth. Overall worth a try but nothing exceptional.

09-25-2008 02:36:49 | More by johnd513
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)