Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Chugmonkey

Wisconsin

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

Light amber color with nice off white rocky head, great retention. Seems to have a malty aroma, is that possible? Taste is really malty sweet, some caramel, little nuttiness, but mostly sweet.

It has a thick mouthfeel to me and it finishes very sweet wich severely reduces drinkability for me. I like one, but more than that and the sweetness builds to a level of annoyance with me.

09-12-2008 20:43:55 | More by Chugmonkey
stephens101

Oklahoma

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

Ahh more Oktoberfest brew and I'm on a Sam Adams kick of late to boot. Pours pure copper into the SA specialty glass. A big fluffy off-white head peaks a few cm above the rim and fades very slowly, leaving a scattering of rocky lacing behind. Smells of malts, caramel, and a bit of tea. Tastes sweet with just enough bitterness to keep it from being boring. Goes down smooth with a light-to medium mouth-feel. I'm really digging this one for sure.

09-12-2008 20:40:30 | More by stephens101
Hoagie1973

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

Deep copper color with a medium buttery tan head.
Smells very malty with caramel and a slight hop presence.
Taste is similar to the nose. Sweet caramel malts dominate for the most part, but there is some hop character to keep things a bit balanced. There's a strong earthy, grassy flavor that I'm not sure comes from the malts or the hops.
Feel is crisp with a medium to fullish body.
Seems to me this used to be a lot tastier. It was a seasonal I always looked forward to. Now I can pretty much take it or leave it.

09-12-2008 19:44:30 | More by Hoagie1973
ColForbinBC

On tap at a local pub

Appears a dark amber with orange highlights around the edges with a tight, cream colored cap. No retention or lacing.

Sweet, bready malts and caramel. Not much else here.

Taste mimics the mose. Sweet caramel balanced by some bittering hops. Crisp and smooth.

Carbonation is where it should be, more on the thin side.

Pretty easy to session. A solid offering.

09-12-2008 14:01:38 | More by ColForbinBC
Goliath

3.23/5  rDev -12%

Pours a rich, clear, amber color with a thin white head. Decent retention.

Aroma is ok. A bit of really subtle citrus, with some caramel sweetness as well.

The taste is ok. Again, very subtle citrus with some caramel and bread. A bit sweet for my tastes, and this one generally gives me a headache. It's not a terrible beer though.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice carbonation tingle.

Drinkability is moderate. This one is sessionable, and decently flavored etc. Not my beer of choice, but it works in a pinch.

09-12-2008 13:54:29 | More by Goliath
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle. Date says best before Febraury. Pours a small head that fizzed down quickly. Very little lacy noticed.

Color was an orange amber. I could taste roasted malts, but little hop flavor going on here. This was an easy beer to drink and definately another great from the BBC.

I will definately be picking up some more of this before the season is over.

09-12-2008 01:55:26 | More by mothman
philbe311

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

A - Orange amber color... Minimal head quickly fades... Small super quick carbonation bubbles... Reflects light and shows hints of red highlight tinting...

S - Malt... Spices... Grain... Mild and subtle...

T - Malt... Mild spices and clove... Orange zest... Slightly sweet caramel... Varied, but nothing distinctive...

M - Slight carbonation on tongue... Gentle... Oily... Not too much going on...

D - Not a big fan... Understated in all facets...

Bottle / Artwork - Textbook Samuel Adams design...

09-12-2008 00:56:45 | More by philbe311
Zadok

Kansas

3.43/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured a crystal clear amber with minimal head and no lacing.

Smells of swwet malts and light hops.

Light malt flavor with mild hops and a slight musty flavor.

Smooth mouthfeel with low carbonation.

Another good session beer from Sam Adams. Not the one I would choose but still a decent option.

09-12-2008 00:54:13 | More by Zadok
KarlHungus

3.78/5  rDev +3%

This beer pours a copper color with amber hues. The head is one inch in height, and recedes slowly into nice lacing. The aroma is of toasty and caramel malts with only a hint of hops. The taste is a more intense version of the aroma. It is very malty without being overly sweet. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice carbonation. Overall, this is a nice Oktoberfest that I could drink again.

09-11-2008 23:53:41 | More by KarlHungus
GreenThumb

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%

I poured this from the bottle into a pilsner glass and got a very tasty looking beer.

I don't think this is a typical Sam Adams because I actually like it.

The flavor is nutty with plenty of good malty caramel tones and a good crisp mouthfeel. I could drink several. It is not a heavy beer but has good flavors. The color is definately an autumn color; reddish orange. The head pours a creamy off-white and disappears quickly to leave soapy residue on the side of the glass.

The aftertaste is distinctly nutty and malty. Not a bad one for a beer from the Bostonian Brewery.

09-11-2008 21:58:42 | More by GreenThumb
OverToad

4.63/5  rDev +26.2%

Fall and winter are my favorite for beer drinking and I love Sam Adams seasonal brews. I already have stocked up on the 12 oz Octoberfest bottles. I was at my local Chili's and they had the Samuel Adams Octoberfest on-tap. Let me say this beer on-tap is fantastic.

Color: Was a nice copper color with a nice one inch head.

Smell: The smell was of malt and caramel scents are picked up.

Taste: Very smooth malt flavors of caramel, bread, and something sweet with just a tad of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Was full of body and with a clean taste.

Drinkability: I had two of these that night and could have went for more. A very good beer to drink.

09-11-2008 17:12:36 | More by OverToad
techtatu

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Nice caramel color and not much head. The smell was just overall pleasant. The taste was surprisingly good for what I call a main stream beer.

Yet another beer that I would enjoy drinking with friends at a bar and, or at a get together. Maybe at a poker game also.

09-11-2008 17:03:52 | More by techtatu
FtownThrowDown

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a orangish brown in color with no head. Smell is very malty. Lots of caramel in the flavor. Toned down on a lot of the spices that usually are drawbacks for most Octoberfests that I've had. This is a caramelly, malty, easy drinking beer. Very enjoyable and drinkable.

09-10-2008 23:49:51 | More by FtownThrowDown
buffettfan

Arizona

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a bottle, into a nice slim tupip glass.

This beer surprised me. I have always enjoyed Sam Adams brews. They aren't normally excellent, but they are almost always good.
This has become one of my favorites from them. A nice smooth, very drinkable beer. Always good to have some of this in the fridge when the weather starts to cool down.

09-10-2008 19:40:02 | More by buffettfan
vicg12

One of my favorite beers. When September rolls around I am going from store to store waiting for it to hit shelves. This beer is perfect for almost any time, drinking sitting on the porch in the cool air or enjoyig a slice of pizza with a nice glass at your plate's side.

09-10-2008 15:25:49 | More by vicg12
eweneek83

West Virginia

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance - This one pours a penny copper colour, lots of bubbles in the body, a good sized head that sticks around for a while (which is good)

Smell - This one smells like a mix between their Boston lager and toasted breadcrust, a little malt also.

Taste - tastes a lot like the Boston lager too, a bit more body. The malts are balanced really well and not too overpowering. I simple, clean, decent taste.

Mouthfeel - This beer doesn't linger long but the mouthfeel is good. It feels thin to me, but I've been drinking motor-oil like stouts lately. The buttery toasty aftertase comes in for a 2nd showing quickly then goes away.

Drinkability - Great. These are dark enough to not suck, and carbonated great, plus the creamy head mixed with the lager drinkability makes this one good. Oops... have I had 2 already?

09-10-2008 08:01:08 | More by eweneek83
popery

3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

This beer looked better than it tasted. I only had one, but there was a definite off-note, a toned down version of what I associate with the big macrobrews brewed with corn and such. That is to say, this beer is better than those beers but it has a slightly skunked aftertaste despite being properly handled and consumed soon after purchase. I often dislike Oktoberfests, so maybe I just have odd taste. I did use it to swallow a vitamin (I imagine my mother shuddered for no apparent reason when that happened), but that wasn't until three quarters through the glass. The carbonation is pleasant and the beer has a good dryness, but I'm put off by the off note. That sounded a bit repetitive. With the help of BA, I'm seriously cutting my teeth as a beer snob. Now, I just need to go to a beer festival and find a super limited release to give a perfect score to.

09-10-2008 04:20:05 | More by popery
n00tz

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

A - Amber bodied light head that diminishes over a minute or so leaving enough to lace the glass I poured it into.

S - Roasted malts and caramel scents are picked up.

T - Very smooth malt flavors of caramel, bread, and something sweet that I can't put my finger on..

M - very herbal feel with enough hops presence to be wonderfully balanced. not thin but not syrupy by any stretch.

D - Excellent introduction to SA's seasonal brews. I'll be coming back for it again.

09-10-2008 02:03:30 | More by n00tz
cswhitehorse

Oregon

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

The Octoberfest poured an amber color with a good 1-2 finger foam head that was quick in disappearing. It had some tight bubble lacing on the sides of the glass.

The aroma was definitely malty all the way up the nose. It had some baked bread and caramel smells. The taste was smooth and full bodied. It had a sweet finish with a light hop balance on the way out. Overall a very enjoyable Fall brew.

09-10-2008 00:41:23 | More by cswhitehorse
groganb

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured from the bottle into a frozen glass beer mug.

Appearance: Sexy dark amber, two fingers of head that didn't stay for long. Faint, distorted lacing.
Smell: Slightly bread-ish, roasted nuts.
Taste: Caramel, chocolate, a faint hint of roasted malt, topped off with a kiss of hops on the back of the tongue.
Mouthfeel: Decent, not too thin. Nice and smooth.
Drinkability: It went down very well, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. This brew was my introduction into Sam Adams seasonals several years ago. And it remains my favorite. This is one of my main reasons to look forward to the fall each year.

09-09-2008 10:16:22 | More by groganb
champ103

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Pours a bright and clear orange/reddish color. A large, almost beige head forms and leaves rings of sicky spiderweb lace.
S: Sweet malt that has a big grain, cereal, bread aroma. Some light hops to balance out.
T: Toasty malt that is a little sweet. Lots of bread and biscuit flavor. A metallic aftertaste.
M/D: A medium body with good carbonation and creaminess. Just a tad watery. Easy and smooth to drink. I have been known to session this when in season.

This is a good example of the style. Very malty and easy to drink. Something worth a try.

09-08-2008 20:29:41 | More by champ103
IronCitySteve

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

A: An organish amber color. A tall tan/brown foam head, not much retention. A decent amount of carbonation.

S: Nothing overpowering, but bready malts, noble hops, brown sugar.

T: A decent flavoring of caramel, bread and brown sugar. A good balance between flavors.

M: Leaves a bready flavoring on the palate. Does not stick around too long.

D: Nothing overwhelming with this beer, but certainly not a bad Oktoberfest. I decent session beer for the fall.

09-08-2008 18:21:09 | More by IronCitySteve
beernut

4.33/5  rDev +18%

Fan-fucking-tastic!! I basically love any Sam ADams beer that is out there,so my review will always be scored high.
Pours a lovely amber color, with a white head that doesnt stay long. Aroma of caramel and sweet malt. Has a tatse of spices and caramel that makes you want another one right away. Goes down smooth. Thank you Jim Koch!! Fall is my favorite, the best beers come out at this time.

09-08-2008 13:03:19 | More by beernut
BeardedBoffin

New Mexico

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

My first Octoberfest of the season. Beer pours clear and amber into the glass with limited head. Slightly roasted and caramel malt in the nose. There was also some hints of alcohol-laden fruit. Husky grain and sweet bread malt flavors rounded out by a very light hop presence. The malt sticks around for awhile to remind you of the swig, but it is by no means cloying. Overall not too shabby.

09-08-2008 00:06:13 | More by BeardedBoffin
redneckchugger

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

poured into my cool disney glass with mickey mouse heads on it, 3 fingers of head the left quickly, no lacing, lots of carbonation bubbles.
smells of sweet malts, caramel.
tastes is malty, lots of caramel, bit of honey in the back, and a hint of hops.
mothfeel is great, tin, but still good for this style,.
a very drinkable beer, one ihadn't realy preeciated untill now, but its great, went quite well with the saints winning the season opener.

09-07-2008 21:42:48 | More by redneckchugger
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)