Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured out of a 22oz bottle into tall pilsner glass.

Apperance: Clear copper coloring. Siimilar to but lighter than Yuengling.
Smell: Not a lot to speak of. .
Taste: Sweet, rich malty flavor. Finishes with a nice bitterness to compliment the malt. A little unbalanced on the sweet side, but I imagine that is what they were aiming at.
Moutfeel: Appropriately fizzy and bubbly, what I'd expect.

Overall: Glad I picked this one up. It's still 80 degrees in SC on a Sat afternoon, but I imagine that a 6 pack of this would be perfect on a chilly night. Will definitely have to pick back up and try again later.

bigdrewsmoove, Oct 08, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Sammy As Octoberfest is quite good...especially for sessionist. The beer is a nice deep rich clear amber with ok carbonations and thin white head that is lacing. There is not much to smell quite honestly...I know it is allergy season here in IL, but beyond sweet malt....I dont smell anything. The taste sarts sweet then finishes with a good malt that clears the pallet. The mouthfeel is good...lower ABV helps this beer be drinkable. Overall....not to shabby!

WoodBrew, Oct 08, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: Clear copper color with one finger of head that fades to a ring with little lacing.

Aroma: Toasted malt with a brown sugar sweet note over top and a touch of metallic-ness.

Taste: Toasted and nutty, but with an ever-present sweetness in the background. Moderate Carbonation picks up in the middle cutting the flavor and ushering in some mild earthy bitterness, the finishing fairly fast with some residual nuttyness.

The Rest: A very simple, medium bodied and easy drinking marzen. It's a touch on the sweet side, but otherwise pretty good.

curasowa, Oct 07, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a semi hazy copper and is topped with a small plate of foam. No lacing. Solid.

S: Sharp scent of grain and if I am not mistaken a slight hint of alcohol. There is only a slight hint of sweetness in the nose. A little weak for the style but not bad.

T: Sweet with almost no bitterness. One of the more dry Oktoberfest beers I have had. Overall, however, I am slightly underwhelmed.

MF: Smooth but could be more crisp.

O: Overall not too bad. A good benchmark beer to use when drinking other examples of this style. t is pretty much a bare bones octoberfest. Extremely sessionable.

brown2cu, Oct 07, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

I never was a big fan of Samuel Adams, but it is October and this was the only Oktoberfest beer on tap at my local restaurant. The beer was served on tap in a regular pint glass (not even the Sam Adams special glass). The server said she was sorry that they did not have an orange slice to put in the beer. I don't ever recall having an orange in an Oktoberfest beer so I told her that was alright with me. The beer looked a good fall amber color with a one and a half finger head that lasted quite a while and left some good lacing. I could not detect any distinct smell and the taste was more malt that hops. The carbonation level was moderate (the special glass would have made more bubbles and perhaps more flavor). A good beer for intellectual wannabees to impress their friends, but not worthy of a true beer advocate.

gerite, Oct 07, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

I got this 22oz brown bottle as a gift, so not sure of the price, but I have seen 6-packs in the store for $7.99, so it's not an expensive seasonal beer. A notch on the left side of the label will give you a best consumed by date. This bottle is notched for Jan. of 2012.

The beer pours a crystal clear red/amber color and produces a huge 4-finger light tan head, so be careful with the pour. Lacing is phenomenal.

Rather weak nose considering all the ingredients in here. Faint caramel and toffee is all I'm getting.

Brewed with 5 malts, it's not surprising that this beer is on the sweet side. Caramel and toffee are the dominant flavors. A slight roasted flavor is also present. With just 15 IBU's, there's not much hop presence.

Medium bodied with only moderate carbonation.

If you like your Oktoberfests sweet and malty, then you'll probably love this. I find it very drinkable, but only a little better than average.

matjack85, Oct 07, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

A- Into the mug with gusto- a finger of cream white head atop a deep bronze colored liquid.

S- A weak smell with some notes of generic soft wheat bread, and malt syrup. I realize a mug might not be the most conducive to aromas, but even so I'm really struggling to pick up much of anything.

T- Here the beer shines through- there's caramel, overripe cherry, sourdough bread. A good bit of malt flavors, and some bitter earthy hops to boot. Mostly the caramel is the strongest, but not in an overbearing way at all.

M- Fairly sweet and syruppy. I think I could live with that in a stronger beer/O-fest, but it doesn't quite fit this one.

O- A decent Ofest with some good flavors, just not quite enough power in the aroma, and the mouthfeel was kind of off for me.

zdk9, Oct 07, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a clear, dark amber color with a large frothy, slightly of-white head. Mostly fades away after a few minutes but has a little bit of lacing.
Aroma is sweet malts. Caramel and barley.
Taste matches the aroma. Quite malty, as expected. Caramel. Slightly bready and somewhat sweet with even a hint of raisin-y flavor.
Soft and creamy on the palate> medium body. Slightly sweet aftertaste. Very subdued and underlying hops bitterness towards the end. Overall a very solid seasonal from Boston Beer Co.

nimrod979, Oct 07, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +15%

Poured from the 12 oz bottle...

A- Dark amber/brownish in color. Pours with a 2 finger head that recedes down to a thin layer. Doesn't really leave any sort of lace on the glass at all. It'd be nice to see a little more head retention, but still a nice clean look.

S- Holy malt batman! Very malty as expected, with some sweet caramel scents and some hints of burnt toast.

T- Sweet malt just like the smell. Nice and bready with some light bitterness. Very true to the Marzen style.

M- It's getting colder, the beers getting heavier. Not really heavy by any means, more of a medium body. Nice carbonation and a bit creamy feel.

D- Very drinkable. An excellent beer for this time of year. This one is my go-to move for an Octoberfest. Can't get enough of them, probably my favorite brew from Sam Adams.

Cheers!
ccm414

ccm414, Oct 06, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -21%

Strange taste, but drinkable.

I had this last night at a local reastaurant. It was not my first choice or second. My first choice was Mayflower IPA. My waitress regretted to inform us that they were all out of that. I ordered a Harpoon IPA and my wife ordered this on tap. She thought that there was something wrong with her beer, so I switched my superior dry, hoppy Harpoon with her Octoberfest. The Octoberfest did look better with a small head compared to none on the Harpoon and had a rich color.

I told my wife that there was a lightly burnt caramel taste. This kept the malt flavor from being sickly sweet. I also detected some added spices - a slight cinnamon taste mixed with some other spice. This taste reminded me of a winter style beer. However, after reading other reviews, I assume that flavor was from the hops - probably spicy tasting German or German style hops. I'm not a fan of Sam Adams in general or in sweet beers either. However, this beer was more drinkable than many Sam Adams beers which I have found to have a chemical taste.

Joel, Oct 06, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

I can see how this would be fun to drink in larger quantities - it's cheap, easy to drink, and has a festive name.

A bit more carbonation would do it a favor. There wasn't much of a head on this beer, but the clear copper/amber color makes it look hearty, yet light, as in a watery kind of light.

There's not much smell to this beer. You get a little bit of malt and carmel, and that's it. The taste, however, is significantly more malty with a slightly smaller amount of bitter. There's not much alcohol in the beer, but it doesn't do a good job of covering up what it does have. Overall, has a pretty commercial taste - not much love within.

musicman575, Oct 06, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -14.2%

Putrid fruity, but otherwise pleasant Oktoberfest
___

A: Clear red-orange body with a fleeting one finger off white head.

S: Some buttery biscuit malt, some sweet fruit, some nuttiness, and a very typical dusty, earth, and slightly spicy Bavarian hop profile. There's even a bit of alcohol, which I don't mind at all. The defining characteristic here is the fruitiness.... drifting toward Nut Brown territory.

T: Up front you're greeted by a large, impressive malty body, but that quickly gives way to a sort of putrid and metallic/hollow fruitiness that I can't say I'm enjoying. Hop flavors are pure bitterness and a lingering spice.

M: As stated before, the malt body is full and creamy for the ABV.

O: Some strong characteristics, but the taste blows it.

dmfrench, Oct 05, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured into a tulip glass. A nice amber color, transparent with a only a short white head and quickly disappeared to only barely cover the surface.
Smells good. Obvious wet malt, caramel and candy.
A little watery at first. Then a malt flavor being held back from being too much. Good balance there. Maybe too balance since there is not any flavors really coming through.
Very carbonated, light bodied.
Nice to drink except for the high carbonation level.

Fatehunter, Oct 05, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

I remember having this beer many years ago and it sort of changed my outlook on German beers. Now, I know this is an American beer, but it's a German style, and now that I've developed more of a palate for beers of all types, coming back to it I find myself less mesmerized, but still enjoying the experience.

It looks good - nice amber hues. The head is pretty week, but it retains lacing. It looks like changing leaves of Fall.

Smells very spicy to the nose. One of the best qualities of the beer - instantly reminds you of pumpkins, nutmeg, the Fall air, etc.

The taste is less than I remember. Not less as in bland, more so it is less of an Oktoberfest taste (or Marzen taste) than I would like. It's very sweet - not sickly so, but less complex than say a Paulaner or a Spaten. Now, to be fair, Paulaner or Spaten may taste more watery - but that makes it easier to drink, in my opinion. Lots of spice notes to this one, some caramel - not bad at all, but maybe a bit too strong?

The taste carries over into the feel. It lingers on the tongue, but not in a completely satisfying way. I say this after having put back a few Paulaners (my favorite) so maybe my taste is a bit jaded. Will have to revisit this one tomorrow on a clear palate.

Overall, a good beer for the fall. Easily available gives it more points, and the fact that it's an American take on a German style that doesn't sacrifice any flavor gives it more points too.

I recommend trying it, especially for novices.

wrb357, Oct 04, 2011
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Pours a nice red, amber color with an off-white head.

Sweet, malty aroma. Bready.

The taste is sweet and falls in line with the aroma with a slight earthy note.

Good mouthfeel and carbonation and the lingering aftertaste is nice.

3rdRowTailgater, Oct 03, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -12%

Samuel Adams Oktoberfest: Out at a restaurant, I tried a bottle of Samuel Adams Oktoberfest. This beer had a translucent brown color, and thin off-white head which faded quickly. Not much carbonation. The aroma was pure roast malt. And so was the flavor, big and malty. Good, but not much complexity. Overall, I was hoping for more. And yes, I saw that it got a bronze medal in the 2011 GABF German-Style Marzen category.

iSip, Oct 03, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +24%

One of the most anticipated releases annually for me, between the the beer and the weather this combination is not equaled by any other large brewer in America. As usual with SA October has a strong and spiced flavor that stays with your palette til the next gulp. The head doesn't remain as long as I would like but that doesn't mean the flavor disappears with it. Overall a beer that goes with any autumn activity!

aseiter, Oct 03, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

Had one at my dad's during a visit yesterday.

Copper pour, fairly light head that did not last too long...very spotty lacing.

Fairly tame scent...sweet malt and not much else...maybe cinammon?

Wow, much more flavorful than I anticipated based on look and smell. The sweet malt was there, as was an almost spicey, peppery flavor. I really thought the combo was pretty good. Fairly carbonated, very sessionable. I woulda had a few more if there were any left.

Nice effort here by Sam Adams. I'll get this one again if I see it on sale.

obrike, Oct 03, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -6%

Drank from autumn seasonal pack, bought from Hyvee in Omaha, NE.

Poured into a standard US pint glass. Best before February 2012.

Pours a 1cm head, eggshell white in color, of medium-sized bubbles. Decreases over a minute to reveal a decent, if small amount of lacing. Residual is a ring around the glass. Body is a reddish amber color with orange highlights. Transparent with active carbonation.

Aroma is of very sweet maltiness and not much else.

Taste opens up with an aggressive amount of malt sweetness tempered with a background of herbal and semi-spicy hoppiness. Mid-taste of almost cloying sweetness with little hop presence. Aftertaste is of some breadiness. Would have liked something more than just sweetness and faint hops in the taste, like some more noticeable breadiness or biscuit character.

Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, this is quite pleasant on the palate. Finish is dry.

A fairly satisfying American Oktoberfest, good, but not great. A bit cloying on the sweetness: not sure what malt profile they used, but I might tone it down a notch and focus on getting a few more flavors and scents into the batches.

falloutsnow, Oct 02, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -6.5%

A: Pours a lovely amber color with a fair amount of off-white head that lasts and leaves lacing as you drink.

S: Smells of malts, caramel, roasted biscuits, hops and even a little pumpkin.

T: Palate follows the nose: caramelized malts, hops, bread, toffee and a bit of pumpkin. Very malt-heavy, but the hops are there. Finishes malty with a lingering aftertaste of bread and pumpkin.

M: Rather light on the tongue, a good amount of carbonation and a nice, creamy body. A good amount of substance here.

O: A pretty decent beer, but nothing special. Goes down smooth and easy and makes a nice addition to your fridge in the fall. One of the better brews from the fall seasonal variety pack. Still, there are far better options out there, but definitely worthy of a quaff.

kflorence, Oct 02, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into my Stone Brewing Co. pint glass.

A: Liquid came out a peppery orange color, like a melted orange popcicle, clear as a bell, with a good size ghost white head that retained itself throughout.

S: Faint malty puff, bready, and with a slight Amercan hop profile as opposed to a German one.

T: Bready, malty, and not very drying on the finish. I did get a slight bit of vomit on the aftertaste that went away after a few sips.

M: I dug the carbonation on this. The lacing basically fell back into the glass and the sweet elements didn't linger on the palate for too long.

O: The quintessential Americanized Octoberfest.

Chaney, Oct 02, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

A - Clear reddish copper in color. Head is a off white in color. Very little lacing

S - Lightly toasted malts, bready, and caramel.

T - Malty at first, some caramel and sweet in the end.

M - crisp and clean. Smooth taste. Medium carbonation.

D - Very drinkable and refreshing.

rebelthrower, Oct 01, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +3%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. 09/30/2011

A locust honey color,one finger,short lived head, minimal lacing.

S sweet faint herbal and earthy somewhat bready.

T sweet slightly fruity bready malt. A bit tinny at the end.

M medium bodied soomewhat chewy nice overall and very drinkable.

O Just getting started with marzen style and find this a very enjoyable beer. I will have another.

Swarp, Oct 01, 2011
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I have been wanting to try this beer for a while

Surprisingly this is pretty good. Definetly heavier than the beers I normally frequent, but still very drinkable.

The only complaint I have is that it leaves my mouth EXTREMELY DRY even more so than Long Hammer IPA, other than that I would definetly get this beer again.

hdf561, Sep 30, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz bottle poured into the perfect pint glass 28/9/11

A clear copper body with lots of big bubbles that feed a very short lived finger of head that leaves no lace

S dry cereal with some hard toffee, not much really what is there is pretty faint

T some fruity sweet malt is much stronger the smell and adds too it, a little bread and honey poke out as it warms

M light bodied with enough carbonation to give it some life, earthy aftertaste lingers for a little while

O decent but fairly plain, not much for smell and it looks pretty basic

I was told this is the largest craft brewery in the world, it that a better oxymoron then Military Intelligence?

wordemupg, Sep 29, 2011
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)