Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
2.68/5  rDev -27%

I was not as impressed with this Octoberfest that I thought that I was going to be. It did not have anything that really stood out to me. The beer was good overall, but did not have anything that hit me hard. To me, it didn't have any charateristics that were different from the norm. I probibly had too high of expectations. It had some of the basic octoberfest characteristics, basically tasting like an average medium lager. I had a high quality of ingredient traits, but it just didn't seem like the ingredient portfolio was very diverse. Just kind of small for a craft ocotberfest in my opinion.

3.45/5  rDev -6%

#132. One of the most highly anticipated Samuel Adams selections, I have been preparing to consume this beer for a very long time now. I've been looking far and wide for an Oktoberfest that satisfies my palate, and have as of yet been largely unsuccessful. I got mine as a part of the Autumn Harvest Variety Pack for a meager $13.99. This is my first selection (of 4) from that pack (Not including previously-reviewed Boston Lager and Irish Red).

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass at room temperature. Served at 45 degrees Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Rigorous pour yields a frothy 1.5 finger off-white mild cream tone depth head of a light consistency. Retention is average, casually declining as it condenses, until it recedes to a thin surface cover in a few minutes. Minor speckled lacing is left behind on head level. The color is a deep gold-orange with some peach champagne tones. Clarity is crystal clear with medium carbonation and no impurities to the naked eye. The head quality could improve, but otherwise this looks appropriate for an Oktoberfest. 3.5

(Smell) Aroma consists mainly of clean grains, mostly amber, medium crystal and some pale malts and reminiscent of that characteristic caramel tone that most Samuel Adams lagers have. Warming also reveals some mild toffee and roasted nut tones, mild but certainly present. Aside from the sweet toffee, potency is mild, and should tone up significantly to improve this score. Smells slightly more full bodied than the average lager, but then again, that's essential to what makes Oktoberfests so distinctive. In that respect, it meets. 3

(Taste) Taste consists of a mildly roasted sweet amber malt and toasted nut introduction followed through with a lingering caramel finish with an earthy hop twang. The flavors are very mild but balanced enough to avoid tasting "watered down". Not surprisingly, this beer swings to the sweet end of the spectrum in terms of taste. Therefore, while the taste lies on the more passive end of Oktoberfests in terms of body, it does so with an interest of accessibility to most casual beer drinkers while also maintaining an interest in decent quality for the more stringent of folks, as with me. I'm not very impressed, but its a decent session beer in the end. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) A medium crispness in the beginning, calming down to a laid back mild carbonation in the finish. Finish also has what I'd consider a "dry nutty" tone to it that, of course leaves the finish dry. It's not what I'd call "smooth", but rather of a mildly watery consistency, a very lager-like clean feeling, as lagers are largely expected to be. Body is medium, on par with comparing Oktoberfests as there's some substance to this one. Alcohol is well concealed save for a slight alcohol tingle on the tongue and in taste that comes by larger gulps. As before mentioned, it's a decent session take for an autumn beer assuming you enjoy the simplicity of Oktoberfests. I find the mouthfeel to pair well with the taste. 4

(Overall) Not an Oktoberfest to knock my socks off, but it's not lacking in content, just in distinction. If you're an Oktoberfest fan, I can't see why you wouldn't enjoy this but it sticks quite strictly to the seemingly tight-knit standards of Oktoberfests, making it just another beer in a large line-up of very similar takes on the not-so-diverse lager style. For less than $1.50 a bottle, it's a good session choice, but for a real autumn treat, something more adventurous should fit the season better. 3.5

Boston Beer Company's
Samuel Adams Octoberfest
B- (3.4)

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

A good friend brought over a couple of these, been a while since I had this from Sam Adams, poured into a pint glass.
The appearance is a copper color with one finger of a nice looking off-white head. Its` nose has caramel, malts, a small amount of hops. Taking a sip of this oktoberfest and I taste malts, with a fair amount of sweetness to it, more of that caramel. Some nuts also come through in the flavor. MF is medium with a lighter carbonation level. All things considered, a pretty good representation of the style.

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Very pretty looking beer with a crystal clear copper color with 1 finger head that quickly disappeared.

Smell - Pleasant malty and bready smell with some sweet notes

Taste - This is a good Marzen. Nice flavors, some crispness in the finish.

Mouthefeel - A little light and watery but for the style its fine.

Overall - I think SA did a good job with their Octoberfest Marzen. One of their more noteable beers of late.

3.43/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from a bottle into pint glass.

A- deep orange/red. very clean looking. very nice decent head. dissipated into thin white layer on top.

S- Cant tell a whole lot here. I have a little cold so I can smell much. I do smell some sweetness. Definitly malty.

T- A little bland due to cold but Im doing my best. Im getting some sweet maltyness to it. A mix of carbonation and hop at the end, not very powerful though.

MF- A little leftover creamy layer to it. A little aftertaste nothing bad.

O-overall this is a pretty good beer. I will probably re-review/edit in a couple days when i get my senses all the way back.

2.68/5  rDev -27%

Had on-tap at TGIF

A: Typical Octoberfest appearance. Pretty much a golden,bronzed orange color with a thin off white head. Larger sized bubbles that don't hang around too long.

S: A few different aromas come through. All very light with none outshadowing another. Toasted caramel. A bit nutty and spicy as well. Not overwhelming.

T: Toasty and grainy. An underlying sweetness brings it all together.

M: Pretty much on the thin side. Not watery but not far from it. Carbonation seems fine.

Overall: Oktoberfest lagers aren't typically my cup of tea but there are better offerings out there then this one for sure. My favorite being Victory Festbier.

3.2/5  rDev -12.8%

First had this in DC off tap, have since had it in the bottle. Better off tap.

A: Pours a rich orange color with very little head.

S: Hint of malts and spice.

T: A weak taste, was pretty disappointed by it. You can taste a hint of malt to it that comes on a bit more strongly towards the end. There's another flavor that I can't identify that picks up at the end as well.
M: Coats the mouth a little bit, but not nearly as much as most beers would. Flows smoothly through the mouth, and the carbonation is noticeable.

O: It's a decent beer, but not one of the best. I was fairly enthusiastic about it at first, but I've begun to enjoy it less and less.

I'll admit that I really didn't like this beer that much when I first tried it in a "make-your-own" six-pack. However, it really grew on me when I tried the style a couple more times. This particular one came from the Sam Adams Fall Seasonal 12-pack.

The beer pours a translucent amber color. It has a sort of buttery malt smell and flavor that is different than most other styles (recently I have had an Irish Red that is similar). This is probably why I did not originally like this style. But, once I was used to this flavor, I was sad to finish the ones I had.

I would highly recommend trying this beer (and others of the style), especially because they are only available during the Fall season. If new to the style, it may take some getting used to since it is so different, but it is definitely worth a try.

3.1/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a clear amber colour with minimal head.
The nose is crisp, with hints of a light toasty malt.
Flavour follows through, crisp and smoothe, with mostly malty tones. Not particularly complex.
Well carbonated, and crisp, but surprisingly filling.
Overall, it's about what I'd expect from Sam Adams; not likely to offend anyone's tastebuds, but not really anything particularly exciting either. A 'safe' beer, might be good for gatherings, particularly with those who are less enamoured of the craft brew scene.

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

A mellow October beer with a smooth finish. Good flavor with less bite than I expected. I found this a very pleasing drink. There is a malt bias, with no IPA like bitterness. Great with a meal or just a refreshing drink. I wish this one was around more of the year.

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured into an imperial pint glass from the bottle.

A - Really nice looking. Caramel color resolves into something like light maple syrup after the bubbles float to the top. Maybe an inch of orange head melts away to nothing over the course of a minute.

S - Aroma is relatively strong, and almost citrusy.

T - Taste follows the look more than the smell - it's sweet, very malty, but also something of a maple sugar taste. Not cloying, but almost like the label says - "what we want fall to taste like". Hackneyed, sure, but somehow right.

M - It's a nice, heavy beer. Not stout-heavy, but enough to establish it a something substantial.

3.4/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As far as appearance goes, Sam Adams Octoberfest definitely has traditional color tones for the style. The beer pours a deep-auburn that has a small, but very, bubbly head. The head doesn't stay for very long, quickly dissipating into a thin ring around the interior of the glass.
The aroma from this pint is faint, but that which does escape, is full of malty notes. Caramel dominates the nose with a subtle background of toffee and breadiness.
The taste parallels the aroma nicely. The first part of the taste was full of caramel and a bread-y character. The tastes finishes a little sweet, but not overpowering resulting in a clean, crisp take on a European staple.
It had been sometime since the last time I poured myself an Octoberfest. I was pleasantly surprised with the fullness of its body, not chewy or aqueous, but medium-bodied with a nice level of carbonation.
With an ABV (Alcohol by Volume) of 5.3%, Sam Adams Octoberfest is sessionable during those cool, refreshing fall evenings in New England. It is not the best American interpretation of this style, but is well-made brew that has the ability to open minds to craft beer as it did for me.

3.43/5  rDev -6.5%

This beer crushes the generic Euro Marzen and Mexican Macro Vienna Lager ... but compared to the best Marzen's it is just too sweet.

The label brags of using 6 malts... no idea why, Vienna Lager traditionally gets by one just one malt. Marzen's are just a beefier version of that beer, so there's no reason for all the caramel malt they surely use.

Chewy and sweet, its a flavorsome, even inspiring, Lager. It's just too much to be counted as a session beer.

4.68/5  rDev +27.5%

Smell- sweet, malt aroma

Taste- malty, smooth

Mouth- medium- not too dense, not too light

Overall- excellent overall. One of the beat beers around and one of the best examples of an Octoberfest. I've had several different octoberfest beers and this is the best.

I look forward to it every year.

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured to a 14oz. flute.

Appearance: Off the bat looks great, not a bad look at all I just wish everything else reflected the way it looked. Amber with an initial 1/4 light amber head settles quickly after the pour.

Smell: Slight hoppy smell to it.

Taste: Very creamy, slight orange peel. Better marzens out there but this one is definitely worth keeping.

Mouth: Malty dry citrus taste, could definitely be improved I don't like to name other brands on reviews but would I look to more of the European side of the "Octoberfest" beers.

Overall: Good beer, would recommend to all beer drinkers. If you're looking for something to please you and your friends especially factoring it comes out during football season don't be timid. Could be little creamier but my opinion doesn't count...does it?

2.95/5  rDev -19.6%

The beer is a wonderful clear red color that is unfortunately the highlight of this beer in my opinion. The head is rather shy and does not stick around for much longer than it takes to pour the beer into a glass.

The aroma is almost non-existent although there is a little bit of a toasted caramel aroma.

The beer tastes very clean, no esters from yeast are present. The flavor is of caramel and a slight bit of toast. Overall it leans towards the sweet side and does not clean off your pallet enough to want to take another sip right away.

Overall this beer is okay, not great.

4.68/5  rDev +27.5%

Nice red-orange color. Fluffy one-finger head.

Crisp, sweet, malty aroma.

Great flavor. Really complex malt profile. Low bitterness (appropriate). There is a cleanliness to the finish, yet, the malt lingers on the tongue.

Excellent mouthfeel. Nice and heavy bodied. there's even a slightly "chewy" feel to it. Carbonation level is just right.

I love this beer. It's good to have a nice, drinkable beer that heavily tips the scales to the malty side every once in a while. I definately drink my fair share in September and October.

2.95/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a cloudy dark amber color with bright orange edges and a one finger off white head that quickly settles into a thin ring. Not much in the way of lacing.

The aroma of this beer is really bland with an earthy quality along with some subtle spice but not much sweetness or malt coming through. Hints of floral, grassy pine along with some pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Very faint malt sweetness even as it warms.

Fuller bodied and more complex than I expected. The hop presence from the aroma is present up front providing faint dry bitterness which compliments the spice character. Hints of pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove linger over the sweet malt backbone into a slightly dry finish. The malt character is much stronger in the flavor than the aroma suggests with some sweet caramel and rye along with some faint pumpkin, toffee and biscuit. Decently balanced and sessionable but nothing extraordinary.

3.55/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a light brown amber color topped with a thin head and light lace notches.

S- aroma is caramel malt and a cereal grain breadiness. Light nutty notes.

T- much like the smell, the taste focuses on the malt bill. There is a very faint salt note to this beer I can't quite put my finger on. The finish is dry.

O- a solid fall classic, no complaints.

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer pours a nice clear amber color with a nice and frothy white head. Smells of sweet caramel and toasty malts, also get that crisp lager smell, I take a sip and get a medium bodied mouthfeel with sweet caramel and some slight malts, altho I can realy get a noble hop taste, maybe hallertau or tettnager hops, some noble variety, ends in a long lasting caramel taste which makes me want another drink. To be honest i think this beer needs more malty bready taste and less aroma addition hops. While this is a good october fest Im possitive Sam Adams could do better.

3.78/5  rDev +3%

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass. Color was reddish caramel. Maybe a ½-inch of head that dissipated very quickly. Minimal lacing. Minimal film on the sides.

Smelled like an amber. Maybe some roasty caramel malts. Some toffee late, but a bit weak altogether.

Tasted similar to the nose. Roasty malts up front, reminded me of Gordon Biersch’s Marzen. Malt heavy.

Medium body. Thin texture. Soft carbonation. Fairly long finish.

About what I expected. Just so-so, but good for the fall/winter.

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap at Jacktoberfest in a plastic cup

Appearance: amber with a tan one finger head that lingers; decent lacing

Smell: malty, bready; some spiciness

Taste: Very smooth, malts come through with an almost sweet finish. Light hops

Mouthfeel: medium, really coats the tongue

Overall: I was never too excited about this one from a bottle. But on tap, the freshness really comes through. Smooth, yet robust. A nice fall beer. A really solid seller at the beer garden I was pouring at.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

12oz bottle (best by 2/2012) poured into a tulip. Pours a gorgeous clear amber with a 1-finger off-white head.

Aroma is sweet, malty, bready.

Taste follows nose: clean biscuity caramel malt balanced by bitter hops. Nice clean mouthfeel, very drinkable.

This is not a particularly complex or even interesting beer - but that's par for the style. A little hoppier than its German counterparts, which I like.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

We are fortunate enough to have a fantastic liquor store with an awesome variety of craft beers. Over the years, I have tried many beers from Sam Adams and to me, they all had one familiar taste. HOPS. Don't get me wrong, I like hops, when it's applicable to the style, but it just seems like Sam Adams uses them liberally in most of their beers. The other day I decide to pick up a 6 pack of Octoberfest. Have wanted to try this for some time as Octoberfest/Marzen is one of my favorite if not THE favorite style of beer.

All I can say is WOW. Truly impressed. Now I may be a bit biased on my review being that this particular style sits well with me, but there was nothing out of place with it.

Color. A perfect clear Amber.
Mouthfeel. Not malty, not watery.
Taste. Sweet, but not. Biscuit flavor/smell initially. A subtle sweetness on the backside.

This is a beer, in my opinion, that should appeal to all palates. I WILL be stocking up on this one.

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

A-Clear amber/rust color, one finger white head. The appearence really makes you think of fall, which I guess is the point. A really good looking beer!

S-Biscuits right off the bat, followed by fall oriented scents like nutmeg and pumpkin pie. After taking some really big whiffs I feel like I'm laying in a big pile of leaves!

T-Medium bodied with average carbonation. The classic Marzen spices hit you right off the bat, there's also a surprising salty taste. Finishing very clean with a tad bit of alchohol.

M-Nothing really special here, a bit of carbonation when it first hits the palate, but finishes very silky and clean!

O-Overall one of the best non imperial octoberfests' that I've had, blows Leinenkugel's and Harpoon's versions out of the water. Might take a back seat to Dogtoberfest though...

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)