2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Reviews: 1914

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,953 | Reviews: 1,914 | Show All Ratings:
Utica_Brew_Review

3.38/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Great amber color with mild head and mild carbonation. Malty, slightly hoppy aroma. No really hops in the taste but a lot of malt flavor. Toffee with a hint of caramel and nuttiness to provide some slight bitterness, but not really toasted flavor. You can also taste the alcohol. A decent octoberfest.

09-13-2013 04:02:26 | More by Utica_Brew_Review
Rotisserie

4.64/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great aroma and a beautiful deep red-amber color. Subtle spice flavor. A very malty beer with very little bitterness. Found this to be a very smooth and easy drinking beer. Greatly enjoyed it. I have never really tried this style before and wasn't sure what to expect but this brew makes me want to seek out more Octoberfest/Oktoberfest brews to compare. One of my most favorites found so far! Would definitely have it again and recommend to others to try.

09-09-2013 13:29:30 | More by Rotisserie
Reidoon

Nevada

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I haven't had many lagers so I dont know what to compare it too, but I can say it is one of the few I like. It's a very very malty brew - a lot of people say they like it at barbeques and whatnot, but I actually like it when I'm drinking at home watching tv or playing games.

09-08-2013 07:51:58 | More by Reidoon
bullseyestrat

Sam Adams Octoberfest is the perfect beer for Autumn for me. Its a very well crafted beer in my opinion. I've had Sam's Octoberfest mostly in bottles or on tap. There's not too much of a difference between the two but on tap is better. I'd like to try the can soon but not really in a rush to. For me, Sam Adams Octoberfest is one of the few beers I get excited for when its released in "season". So much I like to buy in bulk and store it for months after when its Alpline Spring time or even Summer Ale of the next year.
Appearance-wise it has a golden brown color to it when poured. Almost like if they were to blend Autumn leaves into their beer. Very distinctive and easy to spot for me. Just a good sign my favorite season of Fall is around the corner.
Smell-wise it has a very malty German lager smell to it. Very malty and sweet with a hint of bitterness to it. Very well balanced.
Taste-wise Sam's Octoberfest has a lot of German influences in it. Full, malty, ecstatic for the taste buds, and with a hint of bitterness. To me just a perfect beer that tastes great and goes down very smoothly.
In the mouth its very refreshing and malty with a hint of bitterness while leaving you wanting more. Very smooth and full.
Overall Sam Adams Octoberfest is one of my top 5 beers. Its not for everyone but it will always be a favorite of mine and god help it if it stays in my fridge.

09-06-2013 02:37:41 | More by bullseyestrat
Murrhey

Montana

3.06/5  rDev -16.6%

Poured from a 12oz standard pressure-cap bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Finger cream-colored head with low retention. Walnut-colored body with moderate clarity and middling carbonation.

S- Some caramel malts, spices and warm notes.

T- Warm, caramel and malty. Has a bit of a spicy note at the end of the taste.

M- Thicker and bubbly.

O- Not much to say about this. Middling.

09-06-2013 00:33:43 | More by Murrhey
Botulizard

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark, almost murky brown. Not much head or lacing to speak of.

S: Doesn't smell like much, there's a faint aroma that I think smells a bit like corn, but it's very subtle.

T: It doesn't taste bad, but it's not a remarkable taste either. Bitter aftertaste.

M: Robust and full. Average carbonation.

O: Got this beer as part of a seasonal sampler. I don't think I'd seek it out to buy on its own, but I don't think I'd refuse it if someone were to offer me one again. I could take this beer or leave it, really. There are better Octoberfests to be had.

09-05-2013 22:56:10 | More by Botulizard
rx-beer

Puerto Rico

4.46/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 fl oz bottle poured into a 0.5 L dimpled stein.

A - Gives about an inch of lasting off-white head over a dark amber body. This beer is clear with light carbonation and mild lacing. Head fades into a thin layer.

S - Malty caramel aroma with a touch of bread.

T - Sweet, malty caramel flavors jump out at you from the start. Don't feel this to be excessively sweet. Toasty and biscuity touch lingers until the next sip and is balanced out with a very mild yet persistent bitterness.

M - LIght carbonation and medium-to-full body that is quite chewy.

O - I'm really enjoying this year's Oktoberfest from Sam Adams. I'm partial to the amber Marzens and their caramel flavor so this one just hits the spot for me. I definitely wish this beer would be offered year-round and am looking forward to see what Jim Koch and the guys at BBC come up with for next year. Glad I still have a few of these left in the fridge.

09-02-2013 22:53:58 | More by rx-beer
archyquaffer

Montana

2.64/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a shaker. A moderate pour results in a 3/4 inch off-white head that sticks around pretty well. The beer is a somewhat pale yellowish-brown with a little bit of red.

I detect quite a bit of cooked corn aromas and flavors here, with maybe a little diacetyl. Very little hop aroma/flavor, and generally lacking any toastiness or complex malt flavors. A little bit of sourness in the aftertaste, with a bit of sweetness from the malt.

I'm not very impressed with this beer- it's drinkable and that's about it. Boston lager and ale is much better. I tried this last Fall and was similarly disappointed- I had hoped that bad feedback would have led the brewers to reconsider their recipe. This tastes more like a really corny malt liquor rather than an Octy. Boo! There are MUCH better Octoberfest brews out there.

09-02-2013 22:16:07 | More by archyquaffer
Mongrel

Maryland

3.76/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a true amber with a short off-white head that quickly recedes. Little to no lacing.

Nice slightly sweet, slightly spicy smell. Taste follows the nose, with malts and vanilla up front, not-too-sweet brown sugar and caramel notes towards the middle, and biscuity flavors at the end. There's also a little hop coolness that helps to balance things out. Also a hint of clove and sometimes a slightly metallic twang.

The most impressive thing about this beer is the rich, creamy mouthfeel. There's not a ton of depth though, and it doesn't last very long on the palate. A solid brew overall.

09-02-2013 00:56:21 | More by Mongrel
ExaltedNecrosis

3.71/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into stein.

Pours a rich orange/brown with a finger and a half finger of off white head. Smells very sweet and bready, with a hint of roastiness. Tastes like sweet caramel, bread, and roasted malts with no hop profile. It has a very thin body and low to moderate carbonation. Nothing impressive, but it's got a good solid sweet roasted malt backbone. It was good paired with sausage, but left me wanting more in the mouthfeel.

09-01-2013 00:22:49 | More by ExaltedNecrosis
RhinoDBJ

Wisconsin

2.13/5  rDev -42%

I'll preface my comments by saying I don't consider myself an expert in any kind of specific beer, but I do feel that I'm developing a more "qualified" eval of certain types (probably 'cause I like them the most!) ... and the Oktoberfest is up on the top of those beers I think I know.

The Sam Adams is a totally "un-rememberable" brew. The nose is underwhelming, and the taste and mouth feel don't help the first impressions at all.

I'll not be bringing any of these home...

08-31-2013 22:26:15 | More by RhinoDBJ
Caj1

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Gotten in this year's Fall Sampler twelve pack with a freshness date of Dec. 2013.

This pours an absolutely beautiful copper-amber with decent head and lacing. Crystal clear and a lot of carbonation. A little bit more carbonation than I would have liked to see, honestly, but it's no big problem.

Smell is very malty and sweet with some toast and caramel notes, a some yeasty and metallic notes, and a faint touch of hops. Overall scent profile is sweet and bready. Taste is again sweet and bready, some sweet earthy tones and a touch of hops on the swallow. It's also a bit spicy to me, which is nice, but I've had better beers. However this is refreshing and not overpowering. Mouthfeel is crisp and a little on the watery side like lagers tend to be, and sticky.

Overall this is a nice beer and one that I would definitely drink on a cooler day; maybe the fact that it's hatefully hot has put me off this beer a little bit, so I apologize if my rating is a little bit skewed. I would drink this again, but wouldn't go out of my way for it.

To good health and good beer.

08-31-2013 02:32:58 | More by Caj1
Mavigo

3.86/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served in a snifter.

A: pours a clear golden orange color with a short off white head that dissipates fast leaving small amounts of lacing.

S: Smells of wheat, yeast, malts, spices

T: Mellow, crisp, sweet taste. Tastes of wheat, hints of citrus and fruit, yeast, malts, sugars, very smooth

M: Medium bodied with medium amounts of carbonation, fairly balanced

O: Overall, another pretty good beer from Sam Adams, nothing extraordinary but still pretty enjoyable and I would not mind having another, recommended.

08-30-2013 02:20:03 | More by Mavigo
PaleZombie

Arizona

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Very nice copper to orange color pouring about one finger of foamy head that stuck around. Very clear.

S - Caramel and toffee malts with a slight grassy hop backbone. Not too strong of a nose.

T - Big, bold, sweet caramel and toffee malts, slight grassy and citrus hop finish. Tasty!

M - Light to medium body, good carbonation. Very sessionable.

O - This was a very tasty beer, perfect for when you want something with allot of malty flavor but still want something that's very drinkable.

08-28-2013 22:43:02 | More by PaleZombie
Fergyx825

2.71/5  rDev -26.2%

Appearance: a good copper-red coloring that i'd expect from an Oktoberfest. Some head on the edges and over the surface of the beer.

Smell: this smells like a thick, full bodied beer. I can also smell the alcohol. A certain maltiness/hops is also noticed when i smell the beer. This doesn't smell particularly appealing.

Taste: Not so much the full bodied taste that i was expecting after smelling the beer. Also a strong taste of alcohol is definitely felt when sipping the beer. Malty bitter taste, w/ alcohol on the end. I don't taste a full bodied flavor thats supposed to be in a Oktoberfest, and I don't really enjoy this particular beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, and the thickness is perfect. I really like the mouthfeel of this beer. There is some dryness which is to be expected w/ this beer style.

Overall: this beer looks the part and feels the part. But i don't taste the full bodied flavor that i was expecting from a Samuel Adams brew. The smell itself is what i'd expect from this type of beer, but doesn't appear to me. Taste just brings it down.

08-27-2013 01:49:36 | More by Fergyx825
Andrew041180

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a beautifully clear dark copper color with definite ruby highlights, especially in direct light. Nice active carbonation keeps a thin head alive, although there is little to no lacing present.

S - Mild aroma, mostly of sweet malts. Toffee, brown sugar. That sort of thing.

T - Much more subtle than I remember. I was worried about being overwhelmed by the malt character, but it actually works really well. The sweetness is present, but not overpowering. Similar flavors to the smell.

M - Nothing exciting. Medium bodied, actually a little watery.

O - I've really enjoyed this beer with food. I think this is the freshest I've had it, and it's not too shabby. Its too sweet for me to session, definitely pairs well with food from salmon to hot dogs.

08-23-2013 00:55:47 | More by Andrew041180
DrewBest

3.36/5  rDev -8.4%

I used to absolutely love this beer. I recently realized that I just love Octoberfests...and in fact, this is not a great one. As such, I have lowered my rating several times in an attempt to rate this beer not just in terms of how much I like it on its own, but also its standing within its (particularly well-defined and storied) genre.

Almost no detectable hop aroma. The malts are great-- big and sweet. Mouthfeel is similarly malty and partially coating. However, where I feel this falls short of other 'Fests is the complete lack of both bittering hop character (which should be minimal, but present) and noble hop flavor. This could have been brewed with a similar amount of Cascade without a noticeable effect...if there are nice German hops in here, you wouldn't know it.

Drinkable and tasty but one-dimensional and tiresome.

08-23-2013 00:14:58 | More by DrewBest
VictorWisc

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

It looks like I'm the first to review the canned version (no bottle experience for comparison--I've had it in bottles, but over 5 years ago and avoided it since).

Pours very nice dark amber with ample medium-grained tan-orange head that does not stick around. No visible carbonation in the glass (aside from the head); some lacing, but fairly minor.

Smells distinctly of malt with a clear burnt orange note. Dank acidic smell follows.

Taste is a similar combination of sweet and toasted malt, orange and an additional note of cooked winter squash (or pumpkin). This turns into a briny feel on the back of the tongue with a fairly acrid finish of burnt wood and characteristics of medium-rye bread, but sweet malt finish. Once the malt clear, the orange and squash return in aftertaste and linger for a while, along with what feels like fermented corn.

Medium bodied with strong carbonation--nothing "refined" about this beer. Alcohol is far more pronounced than 5.3% ABV would suggest. Definitely neither smooth nor crisp, but certainly dry.

Not sure if this is the best representative of Oktoberfest style. Some pleasant effervescence and sweet notes are offset by excessive booziness and bitterness that is more closely associated with cheap AALs. Bitterness can be offset a bit by drinking the beer cold, but some of the bock nuances are then lost. Freshness is not an issue as this was in the first week of the very first can release, so something else is going on that makes this beer somewhat unbalanced. My initial reaction was negative, but this beer somewhat grows on you. Not sure if I would consider this for further bulk purchase (bought a 12-pack this time). I would prefer more hops bitterness in this than the burnt wood taste that I got, but it maybe characteristic of the style they are trying to follow. Distinctly tastes and looks like autumn, so the brewer certainly succeeded on that account. Probably best left to seasonal mixed pack--no need to get a mono 12

NB EDIT: Following some experimentation, found that this tastes best from a tall glass (and straight from the can!), not from more traditional beerware. The "burnt wood" taste is gone and sweet maltiness came to the forefront instead. Just to be sure, tried it in some other glassware combinations and confirmed the acrid burnt wood flavor in all but tall ice tea glass and can. Not something I would have expected. Tall glass also brings back the bock character that I initially expected and reduces the booziness. Upgraded the scores accordingly.

Serving type: can

08-22-2013 05:33:59 | More by VictorWisc
dpodratsky3

3.59/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Dark amber with nice clarity, thin off white head, no real lacing.

S: Mostly sweet malts, but a good mix of different malty aromas, very light bread but clean overall

T: Rich malts come through from the first sip, sweetness. Some balance with the hops that make it through, but I didn't really pick up an major Noble hop flavors.

M: Decent carb, but not too crisp, lighter body, works well with the flavor and keeps it light feeling but not quite what i'm looking for.

O: Good drinkability. The crispness enhances it and the flavors are all what I would expect them to be. I have used this for a session beer before but as a true Oktoberfest there are better options.

Notes: Used to be one of my favorite beers. It's amazing how your tastes can change over the course of a year of BAing. Still a great beer and it will always be one of my favorite fall beers, but not quite as dark and complex as I remember.

Update: Re-reviewed again, and its still not nearly as good as when I first tried it, but my tastes haven't changed much in the last year.

08-21-2013 22:19:04 | More by dpodratsky3
dowen17

Alabama

3.18/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark orange with a small cream colored head with decent retention and great lacing.

On the nose is wheat, sweet malts, some spice and hints of pumpkin.

Tastes of wheat and some malt. Nothing much going on here really.

Very carbonated. Really bites the tongue. Watery.

This is a decent beer. Very session-able. Would drink again but nothing to seek out obviously.

08-20-2013 03:06:34 | More by dowen17
ISmith87

Arizona

3.01/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I'm someone who gets livid with when people describe a beer to me as smooth or when people ask for a beer that's "smooth". Usually I point them towards the bud light and do everything short of flipping them off.

A - 3.75 - burnt orange color basically no head.

S - 2.50 - nothing. A little bit of alcohol and corn.

T - 3.0 - caramel, pumpkin, straw, corn. Very light, basically no flavor.

M - 3.25 - high carbonation, no bitterness, plain sweetness, no aftertaste

O - 3.25 - pretty basic no flavor even for an October fest.

08-20-2013 02:26:21 | More by ISmith87
Jakey2005

Maryland

3.61/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I generally enjoy Sam's version of an Oktoberfest. Nice copper color, malty and slightly roasty taste. I find it interesting the number of commentators on here that find it necessary to dislike this beer because it is produced by Sam. I brew my own Oktoberfest, lived in Germany, been to the real Oktoberfest in Munich, and still enjoy this offering from Sam. Not my hands down favorite. I reserve that for Ayinger. But Sam has won multiple awards for this beer and I think they were well deserved.

08-19-2013 02:52:19 | More by Jakey2005
henrichsj

Iowa

4.05/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - Beautiful burnt-orange color, half-an-inch of creamy head

S - Not much on the smell . . .

T - Malty, caramel, very smooth; Little carbonation and not very bitter or hoppy at all

M - Smooth, creamy, and very drinkable!

O - This is a Fall staple for me. Almost always a six-pack in my fridge in the fall and winter months. Most places around here (IA) have it on tap too, so it's a good one to get used to. May be a little too early for it's tastes (late-August) but couldn't resist once I saw it in the liquor store. One of my all-time favorites.

08-18-2013 22:17:45 | More by henrichsj
DeFaz

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sam Adams sets the bar high, and maybe my expectations are just a bit too high for this brew. It has plenty of malt flavor, and the malt provides sweetness that is only half checked by the hop bitterness that comes in later. Typical autumn flavors of caramel, toffee, and maybe pumpkin as well. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with some astringency biting the tongue. Overall, I like the fact that it is easily available, but with Great Lakes Oktoberfest hitting the shelves this week, I'm going to have to go with that one instead this season.

08-18-2013 22:00:41 | More by DeFaz
Hesperus

3.98/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: A clear, dark copper body with one finger of somewhat lasting head that dissipated into a thin layer of foam. Decent lacing.

Smell: Sweet malt, caramel, roasty.

Taste: Follows nose very closely, roasty, malty, caramel. Next to no hops present, but far from being overly sweet.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy, yet very drinkable. This beer has moderate carbonation and no alcohol detectable on the palate.

Overall: There's nothing that I can say bad about this beer, yet not a whole lot that I am overwhelmed by. This is a highly drinkable, enjoyable beer that warrants multiples at a party or other get together. There is some amount of excitement surrounding this beer's release every year that can only be justified by it being the most readily available yet tasty example of this style.

08-17-2013 01:48:43 | More by Hesperus
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)