Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
dblinkhorn

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottled into a pint glass.

Appearance - Pours with a two-finger light-tan head that is pretty creamy but with some large soapy bubbles on the top. As it dissipates it becomes creamier and decent lacing is left all the way down. It settles at a thin layer of patchy lace on top of the beer. The color is orange-honey and it is very clear. There is little carbonation activity within.

Smell - Slightly fruity hops with some mild bitterness/sourness. Some very slight citrus is just behind the initial hop smell. Some coppery and slightly bready malt aromas in the back. Very little alcohol is detectable.

Taste - Very bread pudding-like malt that is surprisingly rich is tasted right away. Slight bitterness from the hops just behind this, which holds well and peaks just before the finish. Some very slight cherry and plum fruitiness in with the malt flavors. The finish comes in with a slightly-metallic malt character. Finishes with a taste of raw pumpkin, surprisingly. This quickly flashes out, however, and gives way to a fading raw, grainy malt character.

Mouthfeel - Fairly light-bodied (maybe just barely medium-bodied). Has little smoothness. The carbonation is good, but is just a bit too much in my opinion.

Drinkability - The flavors aren't too strong, and the beer has an overall "light" feel to it. Definitely could be a session beer if you dig the flavor.

A decent Oktoberfest-style beer. Its best feature is the rich pudding-like malt character that hits you straight-away. Has good drinkability, but is overall an average beer. Worth a try definitely.

10-21-2006 23:57:15 | More by dblinkhorn
DieselSnorter

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Picked up a 12 pack for a song and couldn't wait to try it.

Poured out a beautiful dark amber color, has a nice head on it that dissipated and left a light lacing as I drank.

I couldn't detect much of a smell, which I found unusual. I agitated it a bit and some nice, faint sweet odors wafted up.

The taste was sweet and spicy, very refreshing. a very pleasant aftertaste that just made me want to drink more.

Very light carbonation that didn't assault my palate, very smooth with a creamy finish.

This is a VERY drinkable beer. I could see myself standing around drinknig a number of these as the day wore on...in fact I might just do that.

10-21-2006 21:40:35 | More by DieselSnorter
veech

Tennessee

4.53/5  rDev +23.4%

I have previously reviewed the bottled version, but just recently tried on draft. I normally don't repeat reviews unless there is a marked difference. I have really enjoyed the bottled over several years, but wow is it superior on tap. The same flavor profile of sweet malted honey is there, just in spades. This stuff honestly rocks. I preferred Paulaner marzen to the bottled Sam Octoberfest, but I just tried them back to back on tap and it's no contest. The SA has better color, aromas, and tons more character and flavor. I'm pretty sure my brother would be open to transfusions of this stuff as he is a full fledged addict. Cheers to Jim Koch for a great batch this Fall.

10-21-2006 14:52:13 | More by veech
BBM

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

The beer pours a clear amber-orange color with an inch of foamy white head that dissipates quickly. the smell is not strong at all, but there are faint hints of malt and spices. Very subtle.

This is a solid, tasty Octoberfest. There is a mix of spices and sweetness that compliment each other nicely. It finishes with a slightly hoppy undertone. Mouthfeel is smooth and dry. Overall another quality, highly drinkable seasonal from Sam Adams. Could have many more of these in the fall, and probably will.

10-20-2006 16:49:19 | More by BBM
goschool

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

On-tap at TGI Friday's in Thousand Oaks, CA. The establishment was not choice.

Appearance: Clear copper to orange with a white head that doesn't wait long to disappear.

Smell: The light nose bares sweet malts- biscuity, caramel, and toasty, light fruit, and noble hops.

Taste: There are sweet malts up front, which turn toasty and biscuity in the middle as fruits and grains come in. The finish is dry and hoppier than most, but it's not a hoppy style.

Mouthfeel: This brew is medium-bodied and it feels smooth and creamy, with average carbonation.

Drinkability: Everybody is saying that this year’s Sam Adams O-Fest is the best they have ever made. This is the first time I’ve tried it so I can’t vouch for years past, but I can say that this is a solid sessionable märzen that’s as good as some of the Germys like Spaten.

10-19-2006 07:11:48 | More by goschool
zeff80

Missouri

3.45/5  rDev -6%

A - Poured out a clear, amber color. Two finger head with a little lacing.

S - Sweet and malty smell.

T - It is a bitter with hops, but it also has a nutty & malty flavor. The sweet taste seems a little like chocolate.

M - Smooth and medium-bodied.

D - This is a pretty good marzen/octoberfest. Interesting combonation of flavors.

10-19-2006 00:23:46 | More by zeff80
techdiver

4.18/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a deep clear amber color with a nice one finger head that dissipates quickly. Nice malty smell; feels full and rich in the mouth. Taste is exceptional for this type. This is the tenth Oktoberfest I've tried and this rivals the best German I've had. Very drinkable, and difficult to resist the urge to go buy a case.

10-14-2006 16:18:59 | More by techdiver
clemtig76

South Carolina

I look forward to this beer every year and this years effort is one of the best in recent memory. Pours a deep coppery orange with a big fluffy head. Nice sweet, toasty malt aroma with hints of caramel and biscuit. Taste is very smooth and with a little more the malty sweetness than hop bitterness as it should be. Slight warming from the alcohol. Very drinkable on a cool autumn day. Good tailgating beer.

10-14-2006 00:50:31 | More by clemtig76
beermanbrian

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to gdrakeman for this one. He's been bugging me about giving it a try. I'm sure I had it at some point in the past but can't really say it left any kind of impression. Had it on tap last night while out to dinner so figured tonight would be a good night to review the bottle.

Pours a nice dark copper color and foams up with a surprising nice little head that sticks around a while. Eventually falls to a very thin film on the top. Looks about as exiting as it gets for an Oktoberfest i guess. Smell is strong on the malty side. Taste follows suit. I've seen some complain that this is too sweet but frankly I think it has a pretty good balance of hops. Nice bitterness in the back of the mouth and finish. I was ready to be down on this one just to spite gdrakeman but i have to admit that it's a pretty good beer. Nice seasonal sipper.

10-14-2006 00:49:40 | More by beermanbrian
memory

3.4/5  rDev -7.4%

Had on tap.
Appeared to have a nice head at first that diminished to a lacy slide.
Smelled and tasted of lactic notes that were slightly sour with hints of vanilla. This was just tapped I was told by the bartender. Did the lines change the taste? As it didn't taste like any Octoberfest I've ever had.
Mouthfeel left a slight sour finish.

10-14-2006 00:48:18 | More by memory
mjc410

Vermont

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

The pour into my Mahr's mug raises a creamy, large bubbled, two-finger head that manages to hang around for a while, with some sudsy, but somewhat sticky lacing. The beer's color is a clear orange-copper. The nose is very biscuity, bready, and slightly (noble) hoppy. Very nice, although not pronounced. The taste is quite balanced, with of course a focus on the caramelly breadiness of the malt. There's a hint of bitterness in its lingering finish. I've had more complicated O-fests, but this still does the job here. The mouth is spot-on, with just enough carbonation (smooth, though) to tingle. This is an excellent session beer, and easy to guzzle if necessary.

10-12-2006 22:20:58 | More by mjc410
Gavage

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: copper / orange in color with a 1" head. No lacing developed.

Smell: very little aroma, as some soft sweetness is barely detectable.

Taste: caramel, mild fruit sweetness, a hint of nuttiness, and very mild bitterness. Overall a sweeter beer that is somewhat dry. Simple and straightforward.

Mouthfeel: smooth from start to finish. The finish is also a bit dry. Aftertaste is short with some caramel sweetness.

Drinkability: had a pint before dinner and two with dinner. Of course the restaurant selection was macro heavy, so my options were limited. But I found this to be flavorful and very easy to drink. Definitely worth trying.

10-12-2006 11:30:43 | More by Gavage
pgenius

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

Had this at a pub the other night and I found it to be a pritty good brew. It was lacking a bit of taste compared to other octoberfests probly due to not enough hops but it had a nice toasted grain and sweet malt taste to it. Slightly bitter finish. Overall a good beer, average.

10-12-2006 07:00:21 | More by pgenius
thebarnesbomb

Indiana

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured into pint glass, creates 1 in. rocky foam off-white head, quickly dissapates. Has a very ruby/amber color to it, maybe even more so than a Killian's, but very attractive. Very malty in the nose, sweetness, but not much else. The taste is mostly of these sweet malts, with a slight aftertaste of hops. If I were blindfolded though I would guess this beer was an Amber Ale, there is not a very strong or distinct alcohol kick to it, mostly sweet malt blend. Overall, a very good choice.

10-12-2006 02:08:59 | More by thebarnesbomb
dpd729

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

After a long day at work, I have decided to crack open my first Octoberfest for the year. I find the Octoberfest to be one of the top offerings from Samuel Adams every year.

I poured my 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - This beer has a gorgeous color. It is a dark burnt orange color that looks rich and tasty. The head is about 2 fingers but fades quickly to a lace which hugs the sides of the glass to the finish.

S - The smell is suprisingly a little thin. With such deep colors I was expecting a bit more pronounced smell. It is not bad, just not what I remember in the past.

T - This is an excellent beer in my opinion. It has a very malty taste with definite additions of caramel, moreso than in the past. There is virtually no taste of alcohol and the aftertaste is mild and pleasant.

M - Much like the smell, the mouthfeel is a little thinner than expected. This beer definitely drinks lighter than it looks. One thing I notice is that I do not taste and spice in the beer however I feel the distinct tingle from spiciness on my tongue.

D - The combination of the light body and excellent taste make this a very easy drinking beer. In fact, I think I will head to the fridge to grab another one right now.

10-11-2006 02:18:10 | More by dpd729
IntriqKen

4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

What a pleasure it is to be able to review a fresh Oktoberfest rather than something that came over on a slow boat.
Nice orange/amber colorwith a smallish head that melts to a ring of lacing.
Aroma is fresh sweet toasted malt with a little light fruit and floral scents.
Taste is sweet toasted malt that isn't overly sweet and gets an addition of floral flavors before being balanced out by just a touch of hops.
Aftertaste is mostly a light sweetness.
Mouthfeel is surprisingly rich and creamy.
This years SA Octoberfest is one extremely flavorful brew.

10-11-2006 01:54:29 | More by IntriqKen
kkipple

South Carolina

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

A pour into a pint glass produces a beautiful rust colored beer, clear with an eggshell colored head that disappears to quickly lurk on the top. Looks like autumn colors fell into my pint. Quite pretty.

I get a lot of sweet malt in the nose, with some pilsner-style hops (whatever they may be) and a slight tartness.

Taste is dominated by lots of sweet, caramel malts. Some evident yeast and a bit of a dry corn-flavor. There’s some bittering hops in there to keep it from being TOO sweet, but they’re a balancing measure and nothing more. This is a mildly dry, malty, sweet beer. I like it a lot, but the sweetness is a bit grating – I doubt I could down more than two before I switched to something a little lighter.

I really enjoyed this offering from Sam Adams – it’s tasty, pretty, and easy to drink. A good example of the style and the price is right.

10-10-2006 21:11:00 | More by kkipple
plaid75

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured a dark copper hue with a one finger pillowy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a strong caramel malt aroma with a smattering of aroma hops.

The taste was upfront malt sweetness with a solid toasted grain bill. A very good doughy aftertaste as well.

The mouthfeel was on the creamy side.

Overall a good drinkable Octoberfest. A bit on the sweet side and could have used a bit more hop in my opinion.

10-10-2006 15:07:45 | More by plaid75
uwmgdman

Wisconsin

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

The Sam Adams Octoberfest pours a brilliantly clear copper-red color into my 16oz. Bucky pint glass. A thin white head quickly diminished. The aroma of this beer is definitely malt, moderate-high maltiness, as with the style, a spicy toasted maltiness evident, along with a sweet aroma, like of some sort of crystal malt. The initial taste of the beer is moderate-high sweet maltiness with a gentle toasted background and hop bitterness is low, but is there enough to create good balance. There is no detectable hop flavor or aroma. The beer is exceptionally smooth and the sweetness is balanced nicely by the background of toasted malt. Carbonation is moderate with a medium-full body yet still decent drinkability. Overall I really enjoyed this Octoberfest. The beer is on the sweeter end of Octoberfests I’ve had recently, but still has enough balance in large part due to the toasted grains. The one thing that really stands out with this Fest is its remarkable smoothness, definitely the smoothest Octoberfest I’ve had. As expected, this beer delivered nicely, it was part of my self-made sample pack and worth a purchase of a full 6er before the season is up.

10-10-2006 01:31:32 | More by uwmgdman
Foxman

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

It pours a deep, honey amber, clear and reasonably carbonated. A finger of white head drops soon to simple froth traces. Lacing clings sparingly to the inside of the glass.

The aroma is chiefly sweet malt, almost cloying initially and with a hint of general fruitiness, then dried by a very sparse but notably Noble hop presence.

Upon sipping, the malt is the primary entity, with a baked crust and earthy berry fruit character that slides into a caramel and biscuit zone. A sprinkling of hops comes through, though barelt, with a touch of peppery spice. A grassiness appears near the close, along with a very indistinct and disappointing adjunct impression. The finish lingers quite briefly with just a smattering of hop bitterness. It's balanced on the surface, but rather uneven in its performance.

A bit north of light bodied, the malt fleetingly crosses the palate, but not without some legacy in its wake.

It struggles to get much higher than mediocre in spots, and the dimensions it does display don't have a lot of depth, but it's also utterly inoffensive, and that actually helps make it considerably more drinkable than I thought on first impression.
If you're looking for profundity in your beer, this is not the place to delve. But if you're okay with the occasional foray into better-than-average, and nicely drinkable, then you could do worse. Of course, you could do better as well.

10-09-2006 13:47:35 | More by Foxman
AChamberlain

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with an "enjoy before" date of Feb 2007.

A: It had a divine deep honey color, it reminded me of a fall leaf.

S: Typical honey and malt smell. Very promising.

T: Honey ain't there, what?!? The flavor I was expecting was not there. It was not bad though, just not what I was expecting.

MF: Light to medium bodied. Loose and smooth.

D: Very much so; a great oktoberfest to guzzle.

10-09-2006 02:31:27 | More by AChamberlain
MaGno

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: Pours a nice dark orange to copper color. Head pours to about 1/2" and has large bubbles, no creaminess. Dissipates to nothing in less than a minute. No lacing to speak of.

Smell: Not much there. I get hints of fruits but they are not strong enough to distinguish. No smell of alcohol. Smells very thin and light.

Taste: As anticipated very light and balanced. No overpowering hops or malts. Slight citrus to grassy taste. The malt combination is very nice and balanced. The finish is quite bold and holds most of the taste in this beer.

Mouthfeel: Kind of dry and carbonated. I feel very light carbonation on the tongue and the finish leaves me wanting more.

Drinkability: Very easy drinking. Nice beer for a fall day. Nothing overpowering just a smooth, light taste representative of a nice cool autumn day. I like this beer and I am not a huge Sam Adams fan. I would drink this again and will probably go buy another sixer after I finish this one.

10-08-2006 22:58:00 | More by MaGno
ultralarry2006

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Leaves less than a one finger head with not much retention, and not much lacing. Body is a clear orange amber.

Smell - toasty malt bread, some plums and pears, hint of caramel.

Taste - plums, toasty malt bread, and some spicy hops.

Mouthfeel - medium to thin bodied.

Drinkability - this is a decent beer, but not great, which holds down sessionability for me.

10-08-2006 15:40:39 | More by ultralarry2006
beeroclock

United Arab Emirates

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Wow.. best Sam Adams i've had...

A - Rusty, orange/brown color, decent head.
S - Sweet, I smell cherries.
T - Very nice, slight sweetness w/ a light bitter aftertaste, I like this beer.
M - Smooth, some carbonation
D - Very Drinkable, i'm really impressed, not a big Sam Adams fan, but this one's a winner.

10-07-2006 22:18:38 | More by beeroclock
RJLarse

Washington

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

I picked up a six-pack of Sam Adams Octoberfest at a grocery store to taste, review and enjoy. I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler.

Pours a light copper color and is clear. A thin white head forms and dissapates quickly to nothing.

The smell is sweet and earthy. There are some malted grain notes, and sweet fruit fragrance, peaches and apricots.

The taste is sweet and flavorful. There is a caramel malt flavor, roasted grain and a mildly bitter hop finish. The flavors are reasonably well balanced.

The mouth feel is smooth and little cloying.

This is a drinkable beer. I’m not real familiar with the style, but this is drinkable, and I’d have it again.

10-07-2006 04:52:45 | More by RJLarse
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)