Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

From 12 oz bottle into a Beer Mug :

A: Amber colour with an inch thick head. Very lively

S: Sweet and malty - toffee flavoured

T: Big malt taste - then it turns a little tart on the palate

M: Pretty smooth, optimal carbonation

D: The appropriate session beer possibly

BeerSingh, Oct 13, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

I bought the 22oz bottle almost everyday for the past two weeks. Its been a few years since I had a SA Octoberfest and I was very pleased with it. The color looked great the pour left a nice foamy head. My first taste and I can notice the malt right away. A hint of sweetness. After each sip I wanted more. Next stop I have to try it on tap.

I was very impressed with beer.

sfsean28, Oct 13, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -18.8%

Appearance: A nice burnt orange/amber color. Almost no head in the pour and zero lacing.

Smell: Lots of malt aroma with just a hint of a somewhat aged flavor. This imo adds to the authenticity of the style.

Taste: The taste follows the smell to a 'T'.

Mouthfeel: This feels full bodied but isn't that complex. Not to heavy and very nice.

Drinkability: This is a pretty light beer but isn't lacking in body. If there was less alcohol this would be a nice session beer.

TheFlern, Oct 13, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Finally found this on a roatating tap at a BBQ place in New Milford. I'd been seeing Brooklyn October rotated in around Fairfield county, and while a good beer, its not the same.

Poured into a cold pint glass. Deep copper ruby color with a hint of white foam, long gone from the original pour.

Smells malty and bready. The beer was very cold, which I find to mute aromas.

Taste is the classic Octoberfest marzen malt. This beer for me defines that taste, at least for American versions. Some breadiness in there, caramel notes, and a restrained hop - all make for a near perfect taste.

Very drinkable, used to drink these by the gallon. Love this beer.

KTCamm, Oct 12, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

Deep ruby color with a white head. Smells like Munich malt (not surprisingly). Sweet taste and a thicker mouthfeel make it stand out compared to the Spaten Oktoberfest I had just before it. More hop bitterness is present in it compared to its European predecessor as well. It's also more carbonated. Pretty decent beer that's on tap in a lot of places.

drunkboxer1, Oct 12, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -36%

Since the cold air has arrived early and October is almost halfway through, I figured I'd better get in some seasonal beers. I drank this Octoberfest at the same time as another so I could sample the differences.

Poured from a 16.6 oz bottle. Little head of foam.

Color: deep copper. clear and clean appearance.

Nose: slight floral tones.

Taste: A little nutty with a slight bit of fruit.

Mouthfeel: not a whole lot there. Very smooth and creamy. Nice finish.

Drinkability: Very easy. Seem to me that this could be a session beer (I could be way off). I could have quite a few. There just didn't seem to be all that much there in this beer. I didn't find it very interesting. Drinkable not flavorful.

MaineBirdMan, Oct 12, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Best by notch on side of front label. It was a clear amber color with several carb streams but no lacing. It had a good sized white head that settled into a good collar and some central wisps.

The aroma was toasted malt, caramel, toffee with not much of a hop presence. On sweet side. The taste was heavy on the toasted malt with less of the sweet coming thru and again not much of a hop presence. Dry. I like my Marzen's to be a little sweeter and less dry. Mouthfeel was crisp with medium body.

Overall, a little below average Marzen for me but comes thru in a pinch when it's best choice on-tap. Worth a try. For me, I won't be buying any 6 packs but there are couple restaurants that we hit that usually have this during the season and is often then only non-BMC option so that's about the only time I'd have it.

TexIndy, Oct 11, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance: Kind of a reddish/golden color that is very clear and has a good head.

Smell: Somewhat bland. I was a little disappointed here. There is a bit of a hop aroma, but not much.

Taste: A very nice blend of malt and hops. It has a good flavor while still being smooth. I find this to be much smoother than some other brewery's attempts.

Mouthfeel: Kind of thin, not a whole lot to report here.

Drinkability: Very good. I think so far this might be my favorite Oktoberfest beer. There's a lot I haven't tried, but so far, this one is my favorite.

civilizedpsycho, Oct 11, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

poured a rich copper brown, mainly clear, with an off white head. good lacing.

smells of caramel and malt, some nut or nut extract, and an ioda of pine.

taste is rich and sweet, a little roasted nut, and some caramel flavors.

good mouthfeel, definetly has a good body to it. drinkable.

skrib09, Oct 11, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a clear, amber color with a 2 finger thick, light brown colored head, with decent retention, leaving bits-o-lace on the glass.

Lots of toasted grains and caramel on the aroma. Pretty sweet overall, but rather simple and clean.

The flavor is malt-centric, with a fair amount of caramel and a nice toasty quality. Relatively sweet, and next to no hop character.

The beer has a nice texture, although it seems a tad flat. A nice, clean flavor but nothing too exciting.

Soneast, Oct 11, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -8.7%

A good solid, regular beer, which is not what I always get from Sam Adams, but I do with this one. Always available and consistent, which is not a bad thing I feel. Plus I think it is my favorite seasonal from Boston Beer so It doesn't let me down.

Drank right out of the bottle, at a festival where I subsequently drank a few more walking around.

Good taste, not like the Munichs that I prefer, yet a little spice here and there which surprises me. Heavier than other lagers, including the Boston Lager, yet with a strong malt flavor and very little hoppiness.

If you want a reliable and available and not so expensive brew, this is your seasonal.

chetripley, Oct 11, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber colored beer with a slowly fading head.Aroma is malty.Taste also is malts with a hint of fruit and caramel.It is smooth and goes down like water.It does fit the beer style pretty well.I would recommend and would purchase again.Another decent job by Sam Adams!!

matty, Oct 11, 2009

Samuel Adams Octoberfest
bottle to glass

appearance- pours a dark amber color with some orange. thin little tan colored head that disappeared within moments of pouring, before i even took a sip. no lace at all.

smell- just some slightly sweet malts.

taste- spice, toasted malts, bready, some caramel. a little hops round it out nicely. it's just kind of a one dimensional flavor. besides the overall lack of distinction, it's satisfying when you want something that's easy to drink with a little flavor. good BMC crossover beer.

being my first fall seasonal, i have to say i'm not too impressed, but then again it seems to me that many of Sam's brews are made for a broader consumer base than most craft and it comes through in the slighly better than average taste.

mouthfeel- somewhat dry, goes down easy. leaves a nice aftertaste

drinkability- easily drinkable, i could put a few of these back in a sitting. not worth buying a sixer to me, but i would graciously accept one if offered.

vdread, Oct 10, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Not a huge Octoberfest fan but, hey, it's october. Had an imperial pint of this and it's a very solid beer. Great dark copper color, very good two finger head, great marzen flavor and good mouthfeel and drinkability. I don't think I'd choose this over a Munich house beer but otherwise it's a very solid beer.

david18, Oct 10, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance: Had this one on tap in a 22oz mug. The color was a beautiful translucent effervescent golden copper that really had a beautiful autumnal hue. The head had a decent amount of retention and thin layer of lacing upon dissipation.

Smell: Nothing very complex but rather refreshingly simple with subtle toasted malts and grain.

Taste: Quite mild as the nose led on to. There was a light taste of toasted grains and malt but there was a touch of sweetness that was unexpected and overpowers any hop that is lingering.

Mouthfeel: Remarkably smooth throughout with just the right amount of carbonation to dance across the palate, finishes quite dry and has a sweet malty aftertaste.

Drinkability: Easily drinkable and would definitely session in the thick of this autumnal October month. Nothing off-putting and likely nothing overpowering.

Overall: Was the only thing to really choose from with the beer list the restaurant had. Polished off the tall boy pint with a rack of ribs and it paired nicely. First O'c'toberfest I've had and I'm pleased with the outcome.

craftaholic, Oct 10, 2009

2009 vintage; scores 4/4/3.5/3/3
2010: 4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5/4.0
I've averaged these for my overall rating of the beer.

12 oz bottle (2009) into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a clear, deep ruby-amber body with good carbonation topped by a finger and a half of sticky off-white foam; decent retention and good lace. Nice but unremarkable looking beer.

S: Rich, grainy malt, with a hint of spice on the finish; smooth, crisp, and refreshing aroma.

T: All malt, much sweeter than the nose; caramel up front, followed by a mellow toastiness and a crisp, dry finish. Not bad at all, but nothing exciting.

M: Medium bodied, a little sharp with the carbonation. A little sticky.

D: I miss hops; even in a malt-forward style like a Marzen, I look for at least a subtle hop profile to keep things balanced. My mouth feels coated with grain, and I know that another sip won't remedy the situation. I'm not craving another one of these (but I suppose a couple more wouldn't kill me).

Notes: I still haven't found an O-fest that I really love (unless you count Avery's Kaiser, but that's a different animal entirely), and this one continues to be one of my favorites - it's tasty and relatively inoffensive. Still, this isn't a seasonal that I get excited about.

Cheers!

Edit: Update for the 2010 iteration.

This year's Sam Octoberfest is considerably better than I remember it being last time around. The malts are dryer and nuttier, there's a distinct German hop presence, and the the mouthfeel is far smoother and better-carbonated. It's an all-around better beer: 4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5/4.0

woosterbill, Oct 10, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance:
Clear golden amber with perfect light carbonation bubbles. Pours a soft head that falls to a ring after 30 seconds or so.

Smell:
Sweet and malty with light caramel. Light yeast and hops.

Taste:
Very sweet with hints of caramel. Just enough hops for balance and tartness. Leaves hardly any aftertaste so you can dive right back in.

Mouthfeel:
Slightly fizzy and very creamy smooth. Leaves a light coating in the mouth.

Drinkability:
Had to check myself as to not guzzle this one. Very good.

Comment:
I've found I like Octoberfests more and more as I try more of them. I only bought a couple singles of this but may be going back for a full case...

CRichardsMN, Oct 10, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer is a pretty good representative of the rest of SA's lineup, not great, but far from bad.
A nice copper color with a dense white head.
The taste and smell and both balanced more toward maltiness, nothing crazy, but very clean and simple.
The mouthfeel is a bit light for my taste and a touch over carbonated, but still a nice fresh fest beer.
I could drink a few of these without problem.

grayburn, Oct 08, 2009

A - copper color with a head that vanishes with a trace.

S - Toasty sweet malt

T - The taste is a little more alcoholy than most of the other Fest offerings.

M - A lot of carbonation but not at all thin.

D - Above average but then I don't find many fest beers that I can't rate as very drinkable

confer, Oct 08, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

A- dark golden amber. Head poured pretty good, but feel down to nearly nothing PDQ.

S- I swear it smells like a fresh pizza, only without the savory oregano+basil, but lots of warm, dough-y yeast-y baked aroma.

T- pizza-dough and crispy crust dominate the main flavor range, with other malt flavors, like vanilla-cookies around the very edges. Swallow leads into a more robust version of this same flavor profile, fading off into a slightly watery and short aftertaste.

M- just about perfect for the style. Substantial in the mouth, but smooth and easy to drink; not watery at all, but not so much texture to it that it hinders quaffing.

D- super, as per the style.

Notes: this is a Sam Adams Lager I would order even when there was craft beer on the menu. I say, dump SABL and make this the full time beer.

WalrusJockey, Oct 08, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

Sam Adams Octoberfest is a myriad of the quintessentially fall-time shades of auburn and amber. It is a snapshot of autumn foliage. On the whole, it is quite dazzling; fiery tones of red and coppery glazed oranges flare up when the beer is held against the light. Like its clarity, a majority of the head persists. Although the bulk of it resides along the bumpers there is a thin film that manages to cloak the surface. Lacing drapes the glass.

The aroma exhumes a lot of sulfur. Don't be alarmed - this is common in many lagers. It isn't anything unappetizing but it's not exactly enticing either (and the sizable hint of diacetyl isn't helping things). But that sulfur element is definitely characteristic of many lagers and it is one you can likely learn to live with - if not come to enjoy. Besides, swirling seems to eradicate most of it. You might also note caramel and dried fruit.

A profoundly malty flavour hints at notes of caramel, crackers and cranberries. It is distinctly sweet; a trace amount of hops is detectable but contributes nothing more than a dash of earthiness. The aftertaste has a lengthy linger and leaves your tongue in the clutches of sulfur and dried fruits. I wish this was served in one of those giant 2 liter steins :(

I could probably drink at least a few of those. No kidding. This is one extremely sessionable lager. It is smooth and deliciously sweet. The maltiness is sufficient to provide flavour but not heavy enough to weigh you down. I'm not only drinking this in gulps but have actually caught myself chugging it. To call it quenching is an understatement. Admittedly, I wouldn't know where to draw the line drinking this one.

No wonder Oktoberfest is such a big celebration. Any type of beer this good - especially one only released seasonally - deserves its own ceremony and commemoration. This is a gorgeous, distinctly flavorful, endlessly sessionable lager - in other words, this is a beer perfectly designed for festivities. And you can bet Sam Adams' version will definitely be a source of merriment in my house each fall from here in.

biegaman, Oct 08, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured into a large mug at the Roseville, MN location of Old Chicago, as part of their Oktoberfest mini-tour.

A-Red-copper beer, crystal clear. Tan head, 2 cm off the pour, receded quickly to a sparse bubble layer.

S-Slightly spicy, toasty-biscuity maltiness.

T-Sweet-bicuity malt, slightly toasty. Herbal-spicy hop presence is small, but compliments the crisp, refreshing malt sweetness. Slighlty-small hop bitterness.

M-Medium-light body, a bit too light for my liking of this style, but probably not too far off. Medium carbonation.

D-Quite drinkable, just the a fantastic beer overall, so perhaps a small dock in points for that.

CHSLBrew, Oct 07, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -12%

Poured from a pitcher

Dark amber appearance with decent foamy head. Appearance is probably the most enticing aspect of this beer.
The smell was kind of metalic as was the taste. No hops at all. Tastes like a malt beverage to me. The mouthfeel was ok. It's certainly more drinkable than most other mass produced beer.

wd40, Oct 07, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

Translucent amber color with a slight caramel smell. The taste is mostly mild caramel malts and some slight hops. Pretty refreshing and drinkable. Mouthfeel is light and well carbonated. This is a solid sessionable oktoberfest and a good choice when presented without many options at the bar.

webmanspidey, Oct 07, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +3%

A- pours bright and shiney like a penny witg a little more on the red side

s - smell isn't much.. A little grain smell butnot much.

T - not bad.. Malt comes through averagely strong at first, levels out with a sweet syrupy taste.

M - fairly light feeling, but a little more weight than a domestic light beer.

D - quite drinkable. Not overwhelming at all.. I've had two here at the bar while I wait for the girl to show up, and I could go for a third.

Overall I'm not blown away, but I'm not dissapointed either. A somewhat tasty, but light and drinkable brew suits me quite well on this cool October afternoon.

Marcrates, Oct 06, 2009
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)