Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Ah, the beer that started it all. This was the very first seasonal I got into. I was, and still am, attracted to the history of European, and specifically German, culture and brewing traditions. This one was always there. Easy to find, easy to drink and a good representation of the style it set out to honor. I credit this beer with starting my love for all other beers. This review is long over due.

Pulled out of a Sam Adams fall sampler case and poured into my New Glarus pilsner.
A- An updated label has this beer looking better than ever. A nice autumnal orange colored beer with superb clarity. A big white head forms and leaves lovely lacing.

S- A nondescript aroma wafts through out the immediate vicinity of this beer. Getting a little closer I am surprised that the smell isnt stronger, given that I can pick up hits floating around the room. I can still pick out lots of smooth maltiness and spicy hop additions. A nice caramel base is under a fresh citrus and spicy hop bouquet.

T- Very extremely balanced. Big on malts. Peaty, caramelly, and nutty. Delicate notes of lemon-lime, tangerine, and floral hops ride over top.

D- It barely gets drinkable than this. Back when I discovered this beer I would have no problems putting away a 6 pack while everyone else sucked down their Natty at a homecoming party or something. Im glad this beer is back.

MbpBugeye, Aug 27, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

Samples picked up today for an Oktoberfest article. I remember this beer being meatier. Faint notes of sherry, highly poundable with a great mouth drying bitterness. My third one today and thinking about a fourth.Ein Prosit, ein Prosit der Gemutlichkeit!

hoser, Aug 26, 2010

My personal favorite Sam Adam's beer, too bad its a seasonal. Beautiful dark, orange color. Smell is of rich malts and spices. Taste is full, yet mellow, slightly hoppy and very malty with some nice spices coming through. Very solid all around beer, will buy it again and again as long as it's in season.

grannun, Aug 26, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

A- a very pretty burnt amber color with a slight off white creamy head of fluff
S-A very muted aroma of bread thats malty sweet with citrus overtones
T- Very pleasent but doesn't blow my socks off its has very malty sweet flavor that has some leamon mixed in and some very faint hops on the back end
M-Crisp and refreshing
D-goes down smooth makes me want another one.

rcwhiteky, Aug 25, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, best by Jan 2010

A - Pours a clear copper with about an inch and a half white head; retention settles to a thin layer pretty quickly, with slippery lacing

S - Malty for sure, with a bit of a bready note and just a bit of hops

T&M - Malty and a bit sweet, but not in a bad way. Big malt flavors match the aromas and a bit bready too. I think the hop level is almost perfect and balances the big malt profile nicely. Finish is malts all the way, and they hang around for a good long time.

D - This is one of the beers that got me interested in craft, and I remember looking forward to it every year. I'm surprised it took me so long to review it. Great balance with a ton of flavor and an ABV on the sessionable level; I wish I had more.

ZeroSignal, Aug 25, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -21%

On tap poured into a plastic pint glass.

Pours a deep orangey color with a small white head that fades quickly. Nose is quite fruity and sweet.

This is way too fruity for an Oktoberfest for me, I like when they've got more of a biscuit flavor to them but this one is all sweet fruit. It's got a decent mouthfeel and it's easy drinking but I think it's too sweet to drink a lot of.

kingcrowing, Aug 24, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Served in a Samuel Adams pint glass

This is something that I've had in the past but I feel it's a good one for my first review.

The appearance is a nice amber color with a small amount of off-white foam. The beer itself has no strong smells to speak of but there are hints of orange and pumpkin spices. There are light hop notes as well. The pumpkin spices remind of autumn and therefore excite me greatly for it is Oktoberfest season. At first taste there are plenty of smooth malts that overpower any hop flavor. What hops that do come though arise only in the aftertaste which is the only slight bitterness to be found on the back of the tongue in addition there is a bit of sourness that lingers. The overall caramel malts are definitely the over-abiding taste. The mouthfeel is the appropriate viscosity for the style. The drinkability is quite nice. Sitting down and having a couple during a football game is the perfect way to welcome back the fall.

Overall this is a definite recommendation. This is a smooth easy going beer. This beer is a fair representation of the style, and a relatively inexpensive way to enjoy the season.

Vdubb86, Aug 24, 2010

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

Beer # 3 from my mixed pack.

Pours a really nice orange, golden yellow color with a just off white head and a nice amount of lacing. Really great look to this beer. The aroma is slightly pumpkin and yams with some caramelized malts and a nice corn muffin and sweet potato aroma. Also has a really nice bitterness underneath the high malt profile. The flavor is very good on this. I like it better than last years. Not a complex beer by any means but focused and has that great marzen caramel malt flavor with a touch of hops. Fresh and tasty. The mouthfeel is right on with my favorite German oktoberfests. Has a great acidity on the finish that levels out the big malt profile. Drinkability is great on this. Really smooth, tasty and balanced. Such a good Oktoberfest and really a nice beer overall.

Augustiner719, Aug 24, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured into a pint glass a transparent dark orange or light amber. One and a half white froathy head with good retention and good lacing. For some reason, I'm almost smelling a soap smell to thie beer. I did freshly clean the pint glass but I rinsed it just as well as I normally do, so I'm not thinking it's the glass. There is some carmel scents as well. The taste is a disappointment. There really isn't much to it except a carmel malt flavor with some orange citrus acid flavor. All is really faint. The mouthfeel is a touch watered down.

whoneeds8, Aug 24, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear, orange-amber in color with white bubbly head that dissipates. Aroma of sweet malts, slight grass, buttered toast, cereal. Flavors of spice, sweet malts, hazlenut, cereal, hint of old honey, some dryness toward the finish. Light in body with light carbonation and some slickness from the malt that coats the palate.

JRed, Aug 22, 2010

Avery nice offering from SA. The beer style is very sessionable and fairly complex as well. I enjoyed every moment of the six pack playing texas hold em with the family.

A- Nice white head with lacing. Amber orange color that looks like the autumn leaves on the bottle. Heavy carbonation.

S- Hops, malt, ....just pleasent and well balanced.

T- Starts of with a nice malt charcter followed by a hop bittereness. very well balanced.

M-awesome

d-very nice for the style

dcook11, Aug 22, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -21.5%

A- pours a clear amber with a small head which recedes quickly.

S-slightly malty and cidery like liquid candy apple.

T-sweet malts, crisp apple and a caramel notes linger.

M-light to medium nice carbonation which makes it crisp.

D-drinkability is nice could have more than a few of these.

Prost!!!

drinkiusmaximus, Aug 22, 2010

Pours a dark orange-brown with a decent cream colored head. Sweet caramel apple smell. Heavy malt taste with hints of ripened plums and green apples. Almost cidery in taste with big time carbonation and a crisp finish. Nice medium body with a good strong buzz. A well crafted brew.

828beagle, Aug 21, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +3%

Pours a clear, amber/brown color with a medium, off-white head. Smell is sweet malts with a lot of caramel. Taste is very nice. Initially malty with a slight bitterness. Then it's followed by some very sweet sugar/caramel notes that linger on your palate for quite some time. I also get somewhat of a buttery taste. The mouthfeel is crisp, but ends with a somewhat smooth, silky finish. Very nice. Drinkability is high.

DovaliHops, Aug 21, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +12.5%

I'v been waiting for this to show up at the beer store all month. Last year it came in stock early and i could'nt beleive my eyes. Anyway, I got impatient today and drove an hour roundtrip to get.

Pours a rich brown but not to dark with a descent head that disappears quickly.

Smell is what I'v been waiting for all summer..lots of yeast, bread, toffee. YUM smells like fall is just around the corner.

Taste is similar to the smells with a good amount of carbonation and the alcohol is right up front. Finish is clean and crisp.

The guys at SA worked hard on this one...this is my favorite beer from them and I look forward to it every year.Hopefully they start getting it in around here next week.Cheers.

BigBass, Aug 20, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

A- Clear brownish-amber with a thick two fingers of white head. Looks great.

S- Lots of bread and malt with some cinnamon and spicy hops. Little bit of a Budweiser-type smell apparent but overall very good.

T- Bit of a carbonation bite followed by lots of bread and cereal, slight hop bitterness at the end. Taste seems a little thin.

M- Carbonated and light. This really reminds me of Budweiser now.

D- You could go through a six pack easily.

Not quite what I was looking for as far as Oktoberfest beer goes but it's still not bad.

Yojimbo1941, Aug 20, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

Appeared a beautiful amber color, clear, with a pretty good head and moderate lacing.

Smelled orangey and malty, with some sweet caramel. almost like someone put a splash of orange juice in the beer, but without that citrus bite.

Tastes very nice, a nice octoberfest addition, although not world class. Still, the caramel malts, touch of spices, and sweet flavors are very nice within the style and indeed for any style.

Feels fairly thick and creamy, could be a bit better in this area but no real complaints.

Drinkability is quite high, especially since where I found it (down south) the 12-packs of this were about $4 cheaper than buying individual six packs of the same brand! Regardless of price, it's a good octoberfest that I'll certainly drink plenty more of.

AlCaponeJunior, Aug 18, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured into a pint glass right out of the fridge.

The Sam Adam's Octoberfest pours a clear amber in the glass with a creamy white froth that possesses some staying power. Aromas of freshly baked bread, caramel, toffee, light dried orange peel, integrated roasted nuts, & some nutmeg follow through on the palate. The beer has a medium light body, good balance between the sweet malt & crisp/dry finish, & long finish. Overall, a pretty good beer with great balance & character. Recommended.

BevMoAndrew, Aug 17, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

Good beer - I've had it before and bought a case of bottles. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance - Poured with some head that dissolved quickly and left no lacing on the glass. The beer looks exactly as an Octoberfest beer should - a rich dark amber color.

Smell - Rich strong smell of malt, molasses and caramel. I don't detect hops.

Taste - Tasting this reminds me of the brewing process. The taste is a nice grainy / barley / cereal taste that makes me think of tasting the used grains after the mash. There is a present malt taste. There is an aftertaste of the beer that makes me think of Sam Adams Boston lager, although not nearly as strong.

Mouthfeel - The beer is smooth, and thick. There is a light carbonation, but it is not under carbonated.

Drinkability - Easy to drink for a fairly strong beer. The low carbonation makes it go down easily.

Fazulka, Aug 17, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This was the second octoberfest beer I have had the pleasure of tasting this season.

Pours into a dark amber color and has a nice head that leaves no lace down the sides of the glass. Has a malty, toffee smell. Goes down very smooth and you can taste the malt and toffee tones. Is a excellent beer to drink on a hot day. Drinkability is awesome and it is easy to drink 4-5 of these at a sitting.

Would highly recommend this beer to anyone. Is not available for very long and is often hard to find. Stock up when you can.

Landfill21, Aug 15, 2010

A friend left this Brew in my truck, On ice, after working 10 hrs. on a 90 deg. day. Sweet Jesus....what a nice surprise. Copper amber with a creamy tan head that leaves sliding lace on the glass. Toffee, bready yeast and mild hops are all present in the nose. Nice and malty with a bit more hop bittering than the traditional German take on the style. Medium light bodied and creamy. 1 Marzen I will buy year after year.

beergod1, Aug 12, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Breaking tradition I will just state this is one of the greatest examples of a Marzen/ Octoberfest I have tasted and they are rapidly coming to be my fave... from the rich warm amber pour to the malty smells and tastes. Its warm flowing thrugh the mouth, Make this a very drinkable beer. I get it in 6 packs and cannot find it very readily so tend to stock up for those fall bonfires and grilled brats that make the season so tastefully great.

nukem5, Aug 10, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

Probably my least favorite SA seasonal. And while Oktoberfest has never been a particular favorite style of mine, there are certainly much better options out there.

The color is probably the best part of the beer. A nice caramelized toffee color promises a nice malt presence.

The beer smells of some sweet malts but not much else. It's a pretty weak-smelling brew and left me wanting more. It tasted about the same, some mild malt and a little undefined spicing. Basically it felt like they used a lager base beer and just amped up the malt and removed some of the hops. I am beginning to recall why I never buy this beer. (Luckily this one was free at a charity event).

It drinks easily enough but the carbonation left me feeling more full than a beer with such little body warranted. Plus because the flavor profile is so poor, even though I could drink a bunch more, I really don't want to.

Spider889, Aug 09, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +3%

Aroma is full of caramel malt and some hoppiness. Definitely what I'd expect.

Taste is pretty straight forward. Caramel malts abound, though not sticky sweet...somewhat metallic as well. A small amount of hops are present, though pretty minor. Some grain is also apparent at the end. A little bit of stickiness stays around on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel somewhat thinner than I expected, to be honest. Not as sweet as I'd hoped, though still tasty and good enough for quaffing.

I recommend this beer as a solid Octoberfest. It may only be August but I cannot wait until fall!

NODAK, Aug 08, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

From Sam's Harvest collection 12-pack, also available seasonally in a 6 or 12-pack.

A= copper-orange, fair head; very clean.

S= sweet malts and maybe a touch of vanilla, some floral hops.

T= slightly dry, hints of sweetness, nice caramelized malts, slightly grassy.

M= slightly dry and yet the slight sweet remnants, caramelized malts, not much different than the taste.

D= Not my favorite beer by far, but fairly acceptable.

If you're not enjoying this, ask for a slice of lemon.

therica, Aug 06, 2010
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)