Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros

Finally, I picked up another bottle of this one. Back when I was getting into craft beer, this was the one. I went through a couple of cases of this one back in 95-96, and thought it was simply the most amazing beer in the world (shortly thereafter, I tried Bigfoot, and my opinions on the world's most amazing beer were quickly revised). Drinking this one now, however, I am reminded of why I liked it--unpretentious, malty, flavorful and nicely made. A good, easy drinking, not much thinking, late-summer/early-fall beer.

emmasdad, Sep 02, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

A-Poured into my official Samuel Adams Octoberfest mug. It pours an amber/copper color with a thick off white head that slowly dissipates leaving a thin layer of foam.

S-Extremely malty and sweet, with some caramel.

T-This is all about the malts. Its slightly sweet and grainy at first, but as it warms the caramel notes emerge. Its very crisp, clean, and refreshing.

M-Just slightly thin but they have a nice amount of carbonation.

D-I could drink this all day, it makes a great session beer.

Overall, this beer is awesome. It has a great flavor, its not too thick, and has a relatively low abv. so it makes a great session beer. I can't wait to grill some smoked sausage or brats and drink a few of these.

thegodfather2701, Sep 01, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

Boston Beer Company--Samuel Adams--Oktoberfest 1997 12 oz. Bottle. 5.70% ABV. (3.75 / 5.0) Clear ruby amber color. Flavorful rich malt body. Not quite fruity. Lagered. Unique, complicated, and tasty. Sampled 10/5/1997.

1998 12 oz. Big Sam Bottle. 5.70% ABV. (3.75 / 5.0) Clear ruby amber color. Flavorful rich malt body. Not quite fruity. Lagered. Unique, complicated, and tasty. Sampled 9/28/1998. 1999 12 oz. Big Sam Bottle. 5.70% ABV. (3.5 / 5.0) Clear thin copper amber color. Oktoberfest aroma and light ester front. Smooth Oktoberfest toasted light thin caramel bread body has clean crisp flavor and hints of fruit. Minimal sweetness. Sampled 9/5/1999.

2000 12 oz. Signature Series Bottle. 5.70% ABV. (4.5 / 5.0) Clear bright burnt copper color. Rich malty Oktoberfest front with German accents. Mild toasted fruit malty rich flavor. Spicy for a brew of this style. Rich, flavorful crisp and spicy to the end. Sampled 9/14/2000.

2001 12 oz. Signature Series Bottle. 5.70% ABV. (4.5 / 5.0) Very clear copper red amber color. Nice lace. Toasted malty mild hop front. Rich roasted caramel malty Fest body. Sweet thick feel. Lingering rich malty end with mild hops. Nutty biscuit notes. Excellent. Sampled 10/13/2001.

2002 12 oz. Signature Series Bottle. 5.70% ABV. (4.0 / 5.0) Clear rich dark amber bronze color. Tangy malt spice hop front. Rich toasted tangy mild sweet rich caramel biscuit body. Nut notes. Tangy mild citrus balanced hop end. Medium lacy head. Crisp Oktoberfest. Sampled 10/29/2002. 2003 Seasonal Brew--Block Logo Style--Signature 12 oz. Bottle. 5.70% ABV (4.25 / 5.0) Clear rich dark copper red amber color. Mild lacy head. Malty mild floral fruit mild hop front. Lager smooth rich toasted malty caramel body. Light sweet fruit notes. Creamy malt mild hop end. Classic taste. Sampled 9/28/2003.

2004 12 oz. Signature Series Bottle. 5.70% ABV--30 IBU's? (4.5 / 5.0) Rich lacy head. Clear dark mahogany amber red color. Malty mild hop front. Creamy rich smooth malty cloying sweet mild toasted caramel toffee chewy biscuit base body. Malt spice mild hop end. Sampled 8/9/2004.

2005 Seasonal Brew 12 oz. Bottle. 5.80% ABV--25 IBU's? (4.0 / 5.0) Mild lacy head. Clear bright thin copper amber color. Crisp malty mild hop front. Zesty rich mild toasted caramel toffee mild fruit Fresh Young body. Refreshing tart citrus mild hop spice end. Tangy. Sampled 8/25/2005.

2006 Seasonal Brew 12 oz. Bottle. 5.80% ABV--25 IBU's? (4.5 / 5.0) Rich thick lacy head. Clear rich bright dark copper amber color. Malty toasted mild hop front. Crisp mildly tangy rich toasted caramel mild toffee fruit malty Fest body. Smooth creamy mild hop malty end. Sampled 8/17/2006. (4.5 / 5.0 )

Rich lacy head. Clear dark bright copper amber color. Rich malty mild hop front.Smooth toasted toffee caramel malty rich mild black cherry body. Mild tangy malty mild fruit hop end. Rich tasty Fest! Sampled 8/21/2006. (4.5 / 5.0)

Tan rich lacy head. Clear bright dark thin red color. Tangy malty toasted black cherry lager smooth body. Smooth mild hop spice end. Warm bisquit notes. Sampled 8/26/2006.

2007 Seasonal Brew 12 oz. Bottle. 5.80% ABV--20 IBU's? (4.25 / 5.0) Dense foamy lacy off white head. Clear bright deep amber color. Malty mild hop front. Dry sweet roasted caramel lager mellow malty mild fruit body. Smooth chalky mild hop spice malty Fest end. Distracted. Sampled 8/16/2007.

2008 Seasonal Brew Lager 12 oz. Bottle. 5.80% ABV--20 IBU's? (4.5 / 5.0) Rich lacy off white nucleating body head. Clear bright thin amber color. Mild hop toasted malt hint front. Crisp malty mild caramel mellow sweet biscuit fruit rich tangy fest body. Clean hop hint smooth lingering creamy malt end. Rich Smooth Oktoberfest. Sampled 12/8/2008. 6-Pack $7.99.

2009 Seasonal Brew Lager 12 oz. Bottle. 5.40% ABV--20 IBU's? (4.25 / 5.0) Thin mild lacy off white head. Clear bright thin pretty rich amber color. Mild hop sweet malt front. Smooth crisp cloying malty mellow caramel delicate sweet fruit rich Fest body. Satisfying mild hop lingering Fest malt clean end. Classic Seasonal favorite. Sampled 8/28/2009. 6- Pack $6.99.

Boston Beer Company--Samuel Adams--Samuel Adams Octoberfest--2010 12 oz. Bottle. 5.30% ABV. 25 IBU's? (4.25 / 5.0) Oktoberfest. No sediment. Light tan medium lace head dissipates too quickly. Very pretty enticing thin bright rich deep amber red color. Delicate sweet toasted malt mild fruit floral hop front. Malty sweet smooth toasted caramel mild fruit Fest! body. Refreshing mild hop end. A well made Fall Seasonal Classic Style Fest. Sampled 8/31/2010. 6-Pack $7.49.

philbertk, Sep 01, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

Wow! I am surprised I like this beer now. I first tried it a year ago and was unimpressed. However, I have tried many beers in that year and can now say SA Octoberfest will be in my fridge all season. I've had this beer many times this year so I think this is accurate for me:

Poured into my Friar Tuck pint glass

A.Pours a copper-red color with a 1/2" off-white head. Very fine lacing. Head retention is about 30 seconds.

N. Smells malty with some hop aroma although I can't place the hops (my nose is not that talented yet). Smells like other Oktoberfest beers.

T. Initial taste is malty and bready and some hop bitterness is present at the finish which refreshes the palate for the next drink.

M. Moderate carbonation and medium body make this beer enoyable.

D. Overall a solid beer in my opinion. Certainly an Oktoberfest that has earned a place in my fridge. The SA website lists the ABV at 5.3% which helps make the beer very drinkable and sessionable. That being said I'm off for another!

klaybie, Sep 01, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Pour: Clear medium copper color. One finger of ivory colored head that sticks around for a short while and leaves traces of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Caramel, brown sugar bready, a little bit spicy. A light floral hop scent.

Taste: Caramel front end with a hint of pumpkin and brown sugar. Yeasty middle with a light-to-moderate hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light-to-medium and low carbonation.

Drinkability: This beer is alright, and I can drink it. Nothing special though.

Final Notes: It seems like it's been a bit stronger in years past. It's lost some of its magic for me, that said, it was one of my first beers so for me it's a beer that's close to my heart. I'd drink it if offered.

bagpiper2005, Sep 01, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

12oz bottle, pilsner glass, enjoy before January 2011 it looks like.

Deep brown tinted orange. Very clear with an only slightly off-white head fully covering the top and leaving traces on the glass.

Brown sugar on a clean lager cracker base. Rich.

Layered saltine caramel, and rich malt. The finish turns on the noble hops. Nutty.

Dry, bubbly, but not lacking heft.

This beer has some memories connected with it that make it appealing to pick some up every fall. I think it stands just about toe to toe with some German versions I've had.

brewerburgundy, Aug 31, 2010

Poured into my Sam Smith pint glass. A burnished copper, one finger of head. Good clarity, moderate carbonation visible. Smells of caramel and biscuit.

Heavy toasted malt flavors up front: toffee, biscuit, yielding to toast. A nip of hops keeps things interesting. The finish is slightly dry and bitter despite a minimal hop presence. Overall, pleasant and malty, and reminds me more of a Fuller's ESB than a festmarzen.

Moderate body, with the right amount of carbonation for the style. Definitely sessionable because of a good balance to the beer, though it leans heavily towards malts.

I'm quite fond of this seasonal, though I'm not sure it's an oktoberfest.

aristeros, Aug 30, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a light amber color into a pint glass with a one finger head. Smells of mostly malt, but none of the smells are really prevalent. The taste is sweet, malty, with perhaps a hint of caramel. Overall, I think this tastes like a slightly sweeter, more malt like version of SA lager. The mouthfeel is just barely thicker than the traditional lager, but the taste is not substantially different. I don't know much about Oktoberfests, so I can't really compare this to others. It's a highly drinkable affair, but not much different than their traditional lager.

ebby82, Aug 29, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -7.4%

Amber pour, average head. Caramel aroma. Taste, was everything you'd expect, smooth, no hops, alcohol hidden.

Mouthfeel, just kept on being smooth and non offensive. No particular complexities for this guy, just a beer that is a notch above fizzy yellow stuff. Lots of caramel, its the beer's #1 property. I guess this is the archtype or something. Nothing wrong with it.

EDIT: Sep 2011, had it again, really a nice octoberfest, I've freed myself that it must be hoppy confines. Really the five malt varieties make for a very smooth beer for the fall. A good one even if not my favorite style.

Beerandraiderfan, Aug 29, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

Burnt copper color, transparent, about an inch of head. Retention is decent leaving a collar. Lace is thin, not much of it present.
smelling mostly of sweet caramel malt, a larger amount of breadyness and some grassy hops.

Taste is a big sourdough mess with a tinge of metallic flavors. mildly sweet upfront though, increasing in bitters with a sharp cheeder flavor and grassy hops.
Mouthfeel is thin and watery with a strong carbonation presence.

Overal its up there with the least desirable oct fests I've had.

Buebie, Aug 29, 2010

at home with a picnic tap.

A: a nice pumpkin orange with a frothy white head.

S: Malty, Bready, Yeasty and a bit hoppy.

T: Caramel sweet malt with toffee flavors, Great malt/hop balance. a tad more hoppy than traditional oktoberfests. bready and toasty.

MF: nice and creamy. medium body.

D: I could drink this all night. And I will.

rmolledo, Aug 28, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Ah, the beer that started it all. This was the very first seasonal I got into. I was, and still am, attracted to the history of European, and specifically German, culture and brewing traditions. This one was always there. Easy to find, easy to drink and a good representation of the style it set out to honor. I credit this beer with starting my love for all other beers. This review is long over due.

Pulled out of a Sam Adams fall sampler case and poured into my New Glarus pilsner.
A- An updated label has this beer looking better than ever. A nice autumnal orange colored beer with superb clarity. A big white head forms and leaves lovely lacing.

S- A nondescript aroma wafts through out the immediate vicinity of this beer. Getting a little closer I am surprised that the smell isnt stronger, given that I can pick up hits floating around the room. I can still pick out lots of smooth maltiness and spicy hop additions. A nice caramel base is under a fresh citrus and spicy hop bouquet.

T- Very extremely balanced. Big on malts. Peaty, caramelly, and nutty. Delicate notes of lemon-lime, tangerine, and floral hops ride over top.

D- It barely gets drinkable than this. Back when I discovered this beer I would have no problems putting away a 6 pack while everyone else sucked down their Natty at a homecoming party or something. Im glad this beer is back.

MbpBugeye, Aug 27, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

Samples picked up today for an Oktoberfest article. I remember this beer being meatier. Faint notes of sherry, highly poundable with a great mouth drying bitterness. My third one today and thinking about a fourth.Ein Prosit, ein Prosit der Gemutlichkeit!

hoser, Aug 26, 2010

My personal favorite Sam Adam's beer, too bad its a seasonal. Beautiful dark, orange color. Smell is of rich malts and spices. Taste is full, yet mellow, slightly hoppy and very malty with some nice spices coming through. Very solid all around beer, will buy it again and again as long as it's in season.

grannun, Aug 26, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

A- a very pretty burnt amber color with a slight off white creamy head of fluff
S-A very muted aroma of bread thats malty sweet with citrus overtones
T- Very pleasent but doesn't blow my socks off its has very malty sweet flavor that has some leamon mixed in and some very faint hops on the back end
M-Crisp and refreshing
D-goes down smooth makes me want another one.

rcwhiteky, Aug 25, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, best by Jan 2010

A - Pours a clear copper with about an inch and a half white head; retention settles to a thin layer pretty quickly, with slippery lacing

S - Malty for sure, with a bit of a bready note and just a bit of hops

T&M - Malty and a bit sweet, but not in a bad way. Big malt flavors match the aromas and a bit bready too. I think the hop level is almost perfect and balances the big malt profile nicely. Finish is malts all the way, and they hang around for a good long time.

D - This is one of the beers that got me interested in craft, and I remember looking forward to it every year. I'm surprised it took me so long to review it. Great balance with a ton of flavor and an ABV on the sessionable level; I wish I had more.

ZeroSignal, Aug 25, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -21%

On tap poured into a plastic pint glass.

Pours a deep orangey color with a small white head that fades quickly. Nose is quite fruity and sweet.

This is way too fruity for an Oktoberfest for me, I like when they've got more of a biscuit flavor to them but this one is all sweet fruit. It's got a decent mouthfeel and it's easy drinking but I think it's too sweet to drink a lot of.

kingcrowing, Aug 24, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Served in a Samuel Adams pint glass

This is something that I've had in the past but I feel it's a good one for my first review.

The appearance is a nice amber color with a small amount of off-white foam. The beer itself has no strong smells to speak of but there are hints of orange and pumpkin spices. There are light hop notes as well. The pumpkin spices remind of autumn and therefore excite me greatly for it is Oktoberfest season. At first taste there are plenty of smooth malts that overpower any hop flavor. What hops that do come though arise only in the aftertaste which is the only slight bitterness to be found on the back of the tongue in addition there is a bit of sourness that lingers. The overall caramel malts are definitely the over-abiding taste. The mouthfeel is the appropriate viscosity for the style. The drinkability is quite nice. Sitting down and having a couple during a football game is the perfect way to welcome back the fall.

Overall this is a definite recommendation. This is a smooth easy going beer. This beer is a fair representation of the style, and a relatively inexpensive way to enjoy the season.

Vdubb86, Aug 24, 2010

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

Beer # 3 from my mixed pack.

Pours a really nice orange, golden yellow color with a just off white head and a nice amount of lacing. Really great look to this beer. The aroma is slightly pumpkin and yams with some caramelized malts and a nice corn muffin and sweet potato aroma. Also has a really nice bitterness underneath the high malt profile. The flavor is very good on this. I like it better than last years. Not a complex beer by any means but focused and has that great marzen caramel malt flavor with a touch of hops. Fresh and tasty. The mouthfeel is right on with my favorite German oktoberfests. Has a great acidity on the finish that levels out the big malt profile. Drinkability is great on this. Really smooth, tasty and balanced. Such a good Oktoberfest and really a nice beer overall.

Augustiner719, Aug 24, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured into a pint glass a transparent dark orange or light amber. One and a half white froathy head with good retention and good lacing. For some reason, I'm almost smelling a soap smell to thie beer. I did freshly clean the pint glass but I rinsed it just as well as I normally do, so I'm not thinking it's the glass. There is some carmel scents as well. The taste is a disappointment. There really isn't much to it except a carmel malt flavor with some orange citrus acid flavor. All is really faint. The mouthfeel is a touch watered down.

whoneeds8, Aug 24, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear, orange-amber in color with white bubbly head that dissipates. Aroma of sweet malts, slight grass, buttered toast, cereal. Flavors of spice, sweet malts, hazlenut, cereal, hint of old honey, some dryness toward the finish. Light in body with light carbonation and some slickness from the malt that coats the palate.

JRed, Aug 22, 2010

Avery nice offering from SA. The beer style is very sessionable and fairly complex as well. I enjoyed every moment of the six pack playing texas hold em with the family.

A- Nice white head with lacing. Amber orange color that looks like the autumn leaves on the bottle. Heavy carbonation.

S- Hops, malt, ....just pleasent and well balanced.

T- Starts of with a nice malt charcter followed by a hop bittereness. very well balanced.

M-awesome

d-very nice for the style

dcook11, Aug 22, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -21.5%

A- pours a clear amber with a small head which recedes quickly.

S-slightly malty and cidery like liquid candy apple.

T-sweet malts, crisp apple and a caramel notes linger.

M-light to medium nice carbonation which makes it crisp.

D-drinkability is nice could have more than a few of these.

Prost!!!

drinkiusmaximus, Aug 22, 2010

Pours a dark orange-brown with a decent cream colored head. Sweet caramel apple smell. Heavy malt taste with hints of ripened plums and green apples. Almost cidery in taste with big time carbonation and a crisp finish. Nice medium body with a good strong buzz. A well crafted brew.

828beagle, Aug 21, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +3%

Pours a clear, amber/brown color with a medium, off-white head. Smell is sweet malts with a lot of caramel. Taste is very nice. Initially malty with a slight bitterness. Then it's followed by some very sweet sugar/caramel notes that linger on your palate for quite some time. I also get somewhat of a buttery taste. The mouthfeel is crisp, but ends with a somewhat smooth, silky finish. Very nice. Drinkability is high.

DovaliHops, Aug 21, 2010
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)