Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +31.6%

This is probably my favorite of all brews and I look forward to it's return every year (and just as I was starting to drop a few pounds!) Poured a very nice clear golden amber with a 1/2 head that lasted quite a while. Light lacing that clings throughout the drink.
Medium mouthfeel with nice carbonation, leaves a clean taste with just a hint of the spices.
Very light spice smell with a touch of hops.
For me this is a great session beer and if you haven't tried it you're missing out!

JDK, Aug 21, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

A- Very attractive translucent red-orange with about a half inch of head.

S- Tons of sweet, bready malt hits the nose along with a touch of spiciness from the hops and a metallic twinge.

T- More malt, this time with a toasty character. Starts out sweet but finishes fairly dry and a little bitter (although there is a bit of residual sweetness). Solid, malt-forward taste.

M- Nice, smooth medium body. Not heavily carbonated, which suits this beer.

D- Easy drinking all the way. Perhaps a little high in alcohol to be considered a session beer, but it's still pretty damn quaffable.

I was actually pretty impressed with this beer. Although I haven't had too many Marzens or Oktoberfests, this ranks up there with the few that I have had. It's just a good beer, plain and simple. Recommended, especially if you're a fan of malty beers.

vtfan77, Aug 21, 2007
3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

This Marzen pours a rusty amber color, moderate carbonation drifts to shrinking foamy head. Splotchy lace. Smell is faint caramel malt and bread. Taste is more of the sweet toasted caramel malts. A hint of fruit. A faint hop balance keeps it from being a malt bomb. Still very sweet. Mouthfeel is full and some what chewy. Finishes clean enough. A drinkable offering.

crayphish, Aug 20, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

A- Very dark amber, Short lasting head, little to no lacing
S- Little berry almost wine like aroma
T- Slightly sweet, notes of caramel, good malt flavor towards end
M- Light almost dry, Slight bitterness. Very pleasant over all
D- Not too heavy or filling and at 5.4% ABV not too over powering

In all very good example of this style, I find myself looking forward too it's release each year.

GLD, Aug 15, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from bottle an amber color with little head. A little too shy on the hops for me, but still very drinkable. On the verge of being sweet. This one grows on you as you drink it. Lightly carbonated and very malty. I would drink it again. I'm not a big Marzen guy but this was pretty good.

biggmike, Jul 29, 2007

Had a bottle of this not too long ago. Definitely a beer I enjoy to drink around autumn, so it was a nice reminder of crisp, cool autumn days.

Good looking beer. Pours a molten copper color with fair head retention.

Strong malted barley smells. Almost intoxicating. Mild hop presence also.

Good tasting beer. Smooth and easy to drink. Roasted, almost chocolate-like taste of malt with a tad bit of hoppiness. Reminds me of being outside raking leaves in October/November.

Great session beer and really indicative of the season/style it represents. Maltiness will warm the soul on a crisp autumn day.

Bamabrew22, Apr 17, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

I always save 1 or 2 bottles of my Oktoberfest beers for this time of year. It's a good excuse to clean out my beer fridge too.

Pours a reddish/orange with a slight white head.

It smells of spices and malt.

It tastes a bit spicy, not my favorite in the style but ok just the same.

It leaves a creamy spiced taste on the tongue.

I can drink quite a few of these and it's usually one of the first of the style to come around in my area.

JoeyBeerBelly, Mar 28, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +21.3%

Picked up this bottle as part of a microbrew sampler pack @ Cost Plus World Market, Eugene, OR. Freshness date is Feb07, so im drinking this about a month past it's best by.

Pours an absolutely beautiful clear ruby/copper color. Slightly off white head. Fairly decent head retention. Very heavily carbonated. Has a very malty smell with a bit of yeast, Smooth, slightly thick mouthfeel. It's awfully hard to pick out specific tastes, it's a very well balanced beer. Very easy to drink, but it would probably be alot better if it was fresher.

BigJTrucker, Mar 27, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

Picked up a sixer at AJ's for $7.49 at the end of October. Best before March 2007.

Beer poured a reddish amber color with a decent head initially. Nose is pretty malty without any other discernable qualities. Taste is a blast of malts with a finishing touch of German hops. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth and goes down easy. Drinkability is good. For a number of years now this beer has found its way into my football tailgates and will continue to do so in the future!

arizcards, Mar 17, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +30.2%

I remember drinking this at the airport Max and Erma's. After drinking a tall glass of it, i immediately became hooked on it. When i got back from Europe, the first thing i did was pick up a six pack of this and nearly drank the whole thing in 2 days. The appearance had a nice dark orange hue to it. The smell had a presence of caramel. Taste is amazing, i could drink 5 of these in one sitting if possible. This is definitely a beer i can get along with. cheers jim! :)

gameat10, Mar 16, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearance: Nice medium amber color. Much darker than I was expecting. Small head that disapated quickly.

Smell: Hops, caramel, malt. More like fresh baked bread. Very nice.

Taste: Deep malty character. A little bit of hops and sweetness that was well balanced. Lots of good flavor for the style but not overpowering. No bitterness at all. Very drinkable. Light mouthfeel. Definately the best Oktoberfest beer Ive had. Much more flavor than most but not so much as to put it in another category.

nriech, Feb 26, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +28.1%

Appearance - Reddish copper color, little bit of head and some nice lacing.

Smell - Sweet and toasty malt smell.

Taste - Nice clean taste, sweet malt taste.

Mouthfeel - Sweet, malty, crisp.

Drinkability - I love this beer, it is what Octoberfest is about, good beer. Held on to a few of these from last year.Last one :(

auxiliary, Feb 23, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Got this last October and haven't gotten around to it until recently. I've had this in past years, but I wanted to see if this year's batch would be any different. That turned out to be the case, as this beer didn't have the smell or taste of other Octoberfests that I've enjoyed. Nevertheless, Boston Brewing did a find job with this and I thoroughly enjoyed this brew!

This beer poured a nice deep-orange amber with a slight amount of head, and no lacing down the side of my glass. In past years, I remember this being spicy and having hints of vanilla and cinnamon in it. This year, that wasn't true at all. It reminded me a lot more of their Double Bock than anything else I've drank in recent months. A very strong malted roastiness was this brew's hallmark, with lots of chocolate backing it up. The ABV seems like it should be much more than 5.70%, as it can be easily tasted here and the lack of hops and carbonation makes it that much easier to discern. It's the middle of winter now, but this seems to go perfectly with the weather outside and it's doing a nice job of warming me up!

There isn't a whole lot of depth to this, but I still enjoyed it and am glad that I gave it try to see how it held up to it's previous incarntions in year's past. I'm sure the Winter and White Ale's will also be different this year, but that's what makes microbrews so enjoyable to me. This one is no exception!

JerzDevl2000, Feb 08, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

A: Pours a deep coppery color

S: Sweet and a hint of spices/pumpkin

T: I liked the taste from the get go. Smooth and flavorful with a hint of carmel and reminds me of thanksgiving.

M: crisp and well balanced for a seasonal brew.

D: Very pleasing and a great seasonal brew! I look forward to this every season and recommend an earlier release than waiting until it is towards it's end of shelf life. But I recommend that on all beers!

I like this better than most seasonal offerings with the exception of Shipyards pumpkin head. enjoy!

Homebrew63, Feb 01, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -3.8%

I have to say that I probably drank this after it had hit its peak, although it was still before the consume by date on the bottle. Anyway...

A: Pours a very nice deep amber with a thick billowy head

S: Not too much going on here, just some sweet malt aromas

T: Starts of very malty, as expected, then becomes slightly astringent, with a biscuity undertone.

M: Mouthfeel is solid, clean and crisp.

D: A very drinkable O'fest, not too challenging but plenty of taste.

I have to say this ain't a bad example of the style-I've had worse, ones that were way to astringent, so I'm pleased that such an available beer is a solid choice.

andrewmartin, Jan 19, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

The color of this beer was very attractive to me that dark amber color looked nice in a big 22 oz. glass. The taste was malty and sweet but not too sweet. The finish was greatwhich left your mouth with the malty flavor and craving for more; i also found myself enjoying hte beer more as it got warmer and warmer. I alos enjoyed the smell which was a warm roasted malt that i could almost taste wiht one smell

JoEBoBpr, Dec 23, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

I first had it in a 6-pack and it was disappointing. I then had it on tap and it was an entirely different beer. First of all, the color was incredible. Second, you could really taste the combo of the four different malts that they use. Very good throughout. The best was the finish, which had a nice honey aspect. It was also very smooth throughout. An enjoyable fall seasonal, but I have yet to try a lot of fall seasonals. This is probably middle of the pack. Give it a shot no doubt.

Gatch, Dec 12, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

This beer poured a nice amber with a bit of red tint to it and had a small, quickly dissipating head. The aroma has some malt aroma and a hint of a fruit sweetness. The taste had a medium malt body with a caramel sweetness to it. There was a medium hop flavor to it with a light/medium bitterness. The mouthfeel was light/medium in consistency and had a medium carbonation. Despite having a sweeter flavor to it, I felt that this beer was very well balanced in all aspects and has a good seasonal drinkability to it.

jdmorgan, Dec 08, 2006

Aroma: Malty and clean. Hints of toffee and caramel. Not much hop nose at all.

Appearance: Crystal clear, deep reddish copper hue. White head retention that lasts.

Flavor: Munich malt, toffee and caramel flavors, complex malty sweetness that smothers the delicate hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium body that's silky on the tongue with a medium carbonation.

Overall Impression: Malt lover's dream, is what Sam Adams calls it. Very clean fermented lager. Octoberfest beer is actually a stronger version of the Vienna Lager known as a Marzen. These beers are usually brewed in March, femented and aged until the September and October months. I remember last years being a little bit sweeter, but this years is really good.

sullysbeer, Dec 05, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass. Best before Feb. 07 date.
After drinking this seasonal for many years, this is my first written review of this beer.

Appearance: light reddish-orange color with golden yellow highlights on the outer edges. Fine bubbled head dissipates quickly
to leave very slight lacing.

Smell: slight fragrance of sweet maltiness and nuts, caramel sweet.

Taste: well balanced hop bitterness to malty sweetness with slight alcohol at finish. Mild sourness also noted.

Mouthfeel: nicely carbonated makes for good mouthfeel, maybe a bit on the thin side.

Drinkability: mild mannered easy drinking Octoberfest. Always look forward to seeing this seasonal on the shelf.

Procrastinator, Dec 05, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +15%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a bright reddish orange color, with a decent-sized foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace.

S: The aroma is malty, with caramel, hops, tea and spice.

T: The taste is likewise very malty, as it should be, with flavors of caramel, toffee, tea and some spices. There’s also a decent hops presence in a beer of this style with that distinctive Sam Adams hops signature. After-taste is sweet but not overly so.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, clean finish.

D: Very tasty, excellent representation of style, not very filling, goes down very easily, I once polished off a 12-pack in a couple hours so I’ll say it’s very drinkable.

TheManiacalOne, Nov 30, 2006

Clear, bright shiny copper body, lively carbonation streams, topped by four fingers of off-white froth.

Aroma of fresh bread, and freshly mowed hay and grass. Not a huge nose, but an inviting one.

Rich caramelly malt start, with some depth to it, sweet without cloying. Earthy, noble hops follow to balance the sweet without overpowering, and deliver a satisfying snap at the finish. Sweet and bitter merge and entwine and ride off into the aftertaste together. Shows that clean and crisp can have flavor.

Good light/medium mouthfeel. Good drinkability, though maybe a bit too heavy for unlimited liters.

A solid widely available American version of the classic Octoberfests. Prost !

RonfromJersey, Nov 17, 2006
3.05/5  rDev -16.9%

Serving was from a 12 oz. bottle, from a case purchased Sept. 2006. I also purchased a case each of Oktoberfest brews from Penn Brewery and Stoudts Brewery at the same time, in order to do a side by side by side comparison.

The Sam Adams Octoberfest beer produces a deep orange/amber colored beer in the glass, with a relatively short lived off white head. Sheeting was good to the bottom of the glass. The nose is unremarkable, with notes of bready/toasty malts. The flavor to me also had a slighty toasted malt note, very light, but balanced. The mouthfeel was a little on the thin side for my liking, and for my expecations of the style (remember that I was comparing this to 2 other Fest brews at the same time). Finish is dry, with no aftertaste. Of the 3 Octoberfest brews I tried, this was my least favorite, but still, it has its merits in its balance and drinkability.

Prost!

cooncat, Nov 16, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

A friend gave me a six of this beer. Used a shaker glass to sample.

A: Nice dark copper color witha light head that disappers quickly. The beer was very clear and clean.

S: A malty sweet smell is the main note with a slight burn element behind it.

T: I felt a heavy malt flavor in line with the style.

M: Very light with the malt taste lingering afterwards. Some carbonation is noted, but the lightness of the body leaves almost instantly.

D: I did not mind this beer. It seems to be a good starting point for someone who can not handle the complex nature of real fest beers. If I gave my friend a Hacker Octoberfest, I don't think they would like it as much. With so many fest beer out there, this should not be your first purchase.

mobud, Nov 13, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

An average-size lighter beige head sits on top of a burnt amber/orange color.

Aroma features candy-like malts, caramel and toffee mostly. Really nice, but a little too mild, would like this to be a lot stronger.

Flavor delivers a very malty beer which, like the aroma, reminds mostly of caramel and toffee. Nice richness to it, has a nice toastiness and even a little maple in there. Moderate carbonation delivers the flavors well enough, but like S.A.'s Winter Lager, flavors are more satisfying as it warms.

So very drinkable, so very above-average, like most of the Samuel Adams stuff. And like most of the S.A. stuff, not a mindblower despite its very good qualities.

Metalmonk, Nov 07, 2006
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)