Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,698 | Reviews: 2,061

One of the best fall beers around. Love the fullness and taste.

Best octoberfest I have tried thus far. Expected nothing less from Samuel Adams!

Solid brew

Got it part of the sampler pack for this year.

A - Vibrant amber-orange color that you can clearly see through. Fluffy white head that sits nice and high. Strong lacing.

S - Strong malt aroma with caramel notes. Also grainy tones with no discernible hops. Smells like an Octoberfest lager should!

T - Tastes of sweet maltiness with some grain, caramel, and lager flavor. This beer is like a traditional German lager beer but with more body and flavor. No distinct bitterness or hops but it isn't cloying.

M - Medium to light mouth-feel. Moderate carbonation. The sweetness is predominant but is still crisp on the finish which makes it very drinkable.

Overall, this is a great commercial beer that I look forward to having at least once every year. Not my favorite style or beer but it is a great session beer if your not in the mood for some hops.

Glass- Dimpled mug

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Decent, but can't compete with the German Oktoberfest brews...

3.41/5  rDev -7.1%

A good Marzen Oktoberfest, but I was a bit disappointed in this, from Samuel Adams.
I must admit, I rate my Oktoberfest's and Pumpkin Ale's in opposing methods:
for Pumpkin beers: the less intense the pumpkin and spices, the better
for Marzen beers: the more intense the experience, the better

Well balanced, with a friendly hint of spice and apples, his Oktoberfest lacked the finishing punch for me. I'll drink it again, but if you're looking for a bolder offering of this style, Great Lakes Brewing's Oktoberfest is hard to beat.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed a pint on tap at Beer Revolution in Calgary. A dark reddish bronze with a finger or so of beige creamy head. Aroma of rich toasty malts and fresh green grapes, almost whiskey-like, sweet toffee with a light whiff of yeast. Classic o-fest, really. Body is on the thin side and the carbonation is intense, but in getting past these aspects one can find some toasted bread crust, sultana, light molasses, apples, pears, and even some faint citrus. Weighted towards the crisp, dry, and toasty, not particularly sweet, particularly in the finish. This may not have as much of the classic German malt character you get in some old world examples, but there is a solid noble hop flavor and the rich, deep flavors edge out some of the European examples in my view. Apparently it is not cool to rate this beer highly? Screw that noise. Quality is quality.

4.39/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours from the bottle a very dark amber with a thin off - white head that dissipates rapidly.

The smell is sweet, almost citrusy, with a nice toffee aroma. There is a nice toasted malt presence as well.

The taste begins with sweet notes, has a great (still a bit sweet) lightly toasted caramel flavor, and finishes with a hint of hoppiness.

The mouth feel is crisp, but full-bodied with with balanced carbonation.

Overall, this is one of my favorite interpretations of an Oktoberfest beer.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Crisp. Refreshing. Enjoyable. Another beer that you will certainly enjoy drinking, but won't consider a trophy in the fridge.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

I should start by saying I'm a big fan of the Boston Lager and drink it most nights.
I should also say that this is my first Marzen/Oktoberfest style beer.

This, to me, is just a muted version of the Boston Lager. I get that initial sweetness, caramel, toffee -- as I do from the lager -- but then I'm waiting for the complexity and bitterness at the end that I'm accustomed to...but it doesn't come.

I guess I just love the Boston Lager too much. I expected this to maybe have something that the lager doesn't, but it's not there.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

October is my favorite month as I like the fall season. A really nice time of year to sample Oktoberfest beer.
Samuel Adams has a version that pours dark amber with a head that disappears quickly.
Smell is vanilla and malt.
Taste is well balanced between hops and malt. Very slight bitterness followed immediately by sweetness.
Mouth feel is a little thickish, but not overly so.
Over all not my favorite, sort of middle of the pack. But very drinkable.

Pours a crystal clear copper/orange color with pearly white head, dissipates immediately leaving no film, looks like a glass of apple cider.

Very toasty grain smell, with some sweetness.

Malt, malt, malt on the taste, big breadiness and a hint of grain sweetness. Finishes crisp with slight hop bitterness.

Mouth feel is light and crisp, good carbonation very refreshing.

Overall, great session beer. It's good on the remaining warm days of sept/oct.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

BBD 1/15. Clear amber pour with a deep dark ruby hue. Excellent head, lacing and retention. Light nose of biscuit and caramel with notes of spice. Light medium body with a somewhat slick texture. Above average carbonation with a nice effervescent finish. The taste profile is reasonably balanced and complex, but has an aftertaste that is metallic. It begins with a light caramel sweetness that flows into a mild bitterness. The middle is mostly mineral in nature over a light hop spiciness. Throughout the profile is a metallic undercurrent that rises to the forefront in the finish and lingers as an off flavor. Having had this many times in the past, this version is sub par. I'll consume the rest of the 6 pack and adjust this review as warranted.

The rest of the 6 pack didn't have the metallic flaw, so I've adjusted the ratings. A good, but not outstanding, Oktoberfest.

A lot of people like this beer. I have had it several times before, but I thought I would give this one a second going over considering its in season.

Pours amber with a fair amount of head.

Caramel notes come through, sweet, not a lot going on in the aroma department. Of course do any Marzen's?

Taste: Fairly mundane, I really don't know why I keep buying these beers. They really don't have a lot going on, but I get into the whole seasonal kick of trying new styles. I personally think they are heavy lagers, (which they are) but that is what I do like about a lager, they are crisp. These are just too sweet for my personal palate. Sam is alright, I have had better but none in my opinion are outstanding beers. However, I do know people who love this style and hate the IPA's and stouts that I love.

Overall: This is an average beer. Its not a drain pour, but not really worth seeking out, if on sale or in their fall mixed 12 pack for a super deal like I got, then go for it!

3.06/5  rDev -16.6%

Draft served in Sam Adams lager glass
Aroma of malt
Head removed by bartender – what remains is white, frothy, and rapidly diminishes to 2 mm ring
Lacing poor – occasional island and reef of tiny bubbles
Body medium red-amber, clear, continual bubble generation
Flavor malty, ends slightly astringent; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3, Aroma 3.25, Flavor 3, Palate 3, Overall 3.0625

Yeah, yeah, I know: "Sam Adams isn't even a craft brewery, anymore! They're too COMMERCIAL! They just crank out any old thing and slap a label on it!" TRANSLATION: "They're not the new hot thing." Stipulated. And most "serious craft beer fans" would rather give up a body part than be caught actually LIKING something like this Octoberfest. But, as I'm too old and cranky to give a shit about what anyone else thinks, here it is: Sam Adams Octoberfest is a really FINE example of this style. It's got that hallmark Marzen heartiness, great caramel and citrus notes, and subtle but nicely resiny hops. It, like all great Octoberfest beers, is amazingly easy to drink...which is probably why the roving packs of wet-nosed craft geeks don't like it. But if you're a mature, thoughtful beer connoisseur, you'll like this a LOT. Walk right past the craft "experts" and pick this up for a taste of how a great American brewery does German.

Solid contribution to octobefest for those who don't like pumpkin!

Exceptional Oktoberfest style beer. definitely one of my favorites

Tasty

Pours an amber, orange color with a fluffy, white 2 finger head that dissipates quickly leaving little to no lacing in a 16oz pub glass.

There is not much to smell on this one, maybe making out some sweetness from the malts ever so slightly.

Taste is sweet up front then it transitions into a mild spiciness that lingers into an aftertaste that hangs around.

Mouthfeel is nice and bubbly but a little on the thin side.

Overall, a really nice beer. This is the 2nd Octoberfest that I have had this season and I like this one more. I hope to get a few more this season and see where they stack up.

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - reddish amber in color. clear. creamy/foamy head that dissipates slowly. moderate to high carbonation. 4/5

S - Malty and grainy. Herbal hops. White bread. Biscuit. Somewhat subdued. 3.5/5

T - Toasted malt. Herbal hops. A bit grassy. Almost no bitterness. Somewhat sweet but more hoppy than most Oktoberfests that I've had. 3.75/5

M - Very dry, clean and crisp. Moderate carbonation. 4/5

O - Refreshing, especially with dinner. Fairly light for an Oktoberfest beer. 3.75/5

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

You can tell it's an "Octoberfest" style beer, but wow it tastes very watery to me.

4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

A must have. A good everyday beer for the season. I look forward to the release every year.

100oz long tube beer was great from tap , not too strong with spices had just enough for me to enjoy till 0 oz

I've had about six draughts of these in the last week. Here goes:

A: Very nice head. Beer also has an amber color and is see-through. The only problem is that there's practically no lacing. Suppose that's because it's a Sam Adams. 3.75/5.00

S: Quite good. Bubblegum, banana and clove from wheat malt. Also some caramel from the barley. 4/5

T: Taste follows the nose except it's slightly more robust. Lots of bubblegum, clove and banana with a warm and toasty caramel background. Perhaps that could've added more hops, but I'm not complaining. 4.25/5.00

M: A little on the lighter side - almost like an American adjunct lager. Most bocks have a richer feel than this. 3.5/5.0

O: A solid brew. Has some drawbacks but is still good. 4/5

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)