Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros

nate1357, Dec 13, 2011

SDC1991, Jun 30, 2013

K-diddy, Aug 27, 2014

Tamarack22, Nov 16, 2011

MaddDogg84, Nov 25, 2011

uglyROBBER, Aug 06, 2014
4.94/5  rDev +34.6%

First off .... I do believe they change the recipe every year, I go through several cases every year. The 2010 Octoberfest was the best they have ever made and the 2011 was not as good!

Some other reviews said it has a citrus quality, thats wrong!

Malty, caramel, with harvest flavors; pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, clove, allspice.

FlatRabbitRed, Jan 26, 2013
4.93/5  rDev +34.3%

Call me a sucker for a mass produced Octoberfest, but this brew is awesome! Great color, great malt nose and flavor. This brew is a favorite among malt heads. Spaten is drier, Ayinger is malty yet one dimensional. Sam Adams seems to hit on all cylinders. I buy this beer and cellar it throughout the year. "Never leave home without it!!!!"

sb3000, Nov 03, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +34.3%

My personal favorite beer. Wonderfully balanced warm aroma that gently whiffs of the hop character. Beautiful slightly browned head, and a lovely amber color. The warmth of the malt followed by a smoothly bitter hop bite comes on nicely, and leaves only a slight aftertaste making you want more. Not too heavy, but definitely nowhere near what you'd call light. Perfect compliment to a meal, or to be consumed on it's own.

thefullmontiii, Apr 26, 2014
4.9/5  rDev +33.5%

Appearance - Amber caramel-like with a cm of head that disipated quickly. Beer looks very rich.

Smell - Very fruity aroma, simply an amazing smell. Hard to tell what fruit the smell is, but it is very rich and delightful.

Taste - Milder lager, slightly fruity with no bitterness. Leaves a mild, smooth fruity aftertaste. Very delightful to the mouth. Leaves a tingly sensation in the mouth afterwards.

Drinkability - A fine beer with no aftertaste makes this a delight. Can't wait to finish the rest of my 6-pack.

palffyfan, Feb 04, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +33.5%

Possibly my favorite beer! Although as a seasonal beer, I wish they could be a little more consistent! The first year I tried it (3 or 4 years ago) It was by far my favorite beer, but it hasn't been quite as good the last couple seasons. Still a great beer though!

The_Hucklebuck, Apr 11, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +33%

I have always have had disappointing experiences with Sam Adams Brews, but this one is an exception. This is the best Sam Adams Brew I ever had, and is on par or better then the German Octoberfest equivalents. I have been to Germany, actually lived ther for 2 years and this beer i as good or better then any German brew. A good representation of this style

I wished they brewed this year round.

TheBishop, Oct 13, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +33%

This beer pours a smooth brown color leaving a nice head. The taste is a truly tasty carmel maltiness which makes my malt loving mouth genuinely pleased. Drinkability? I've been pounding these bad boys for the past three weeks and I haven't lost my love for em yet.

Hawthorne, Sep 24, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +32.2%

The feel, the taste, the smell...unbelievable. The bottle and look might leave a bit to be desired, but the great taste will more than make up for that. Compared to most Octoberfests, Sam's has a far smoother taste. A bit of bite to it, but not overbearing. I look forward to the fall for two reasons, football and this beer!

sthompson519, Apr 07, 2011
4.84/5  rDev +31.9%

Mattdgrant, Sep 01, 2014
4.83/5  rDev +31.6%

This is probably my favorite of all brews and I look forward to it's return every year (and just as I was starting to drop a few pounds!) Poured a very nice clear golden amber with a 1/2 head that lasted quite a while. Light lacing that clings throughout the drink.
Medium mouthfeel with nice carbonation, leaves a clean taste with just a hint of the spices.
Very light spice smell with a touch of hops.
For me this is a great session beer and if you haven't tried it you're missing out!

JDK, Aug 22, 2007

Marklongshot, Thursday at 06:19 AM

BeerMama2014, Aug 25, 2014

Conorduffin, Wednesday at 07:21 PM

Great color, pours well.

This is a solid example of a "Sam Adamsized" brew--this beer is decidedly an Octoberfest, and unquestionably a Sam Adams.

Pleasing nose, nice complexity for the price. Amazing drinkability. I consider this one of Sam Adam's best, nearly on-par with a few of the "major" craft brews.

pjohnston007, Sep 15, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +30.8%

This is not only the best Marzen I've ever had, but one of the best beers I've had as well. It's biscuity, got some sweet booziness to it, and plenty of malty goodness, but it's as easy to chug down all night as it is to sip slowly. It's also got barely enough hops to balance out the flavour, which I think is great for the style. It's only problems is that maybe it's a little too sweet and sticky and got a little bit of a weird aftertaste. But everything else about it is really great for the price.

ElCommodoro, Oct 10, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +30.2%

I remember drinking this at the airport Max and Erma's. After drinking a tall glass of it, i immediately became hooked on it. When i got back from Europe, the first thing i did was pick up a six pack of this and nearly drank the whole thing in 2 days. The appearance had a nice dark orange hue to it. The smell had a presence of caramel. Taste is amazing, i could drink 5 of these in one sitting if possible. This is definitely a beer i can get along with. cheers jim! :)

gameat10, Mar 16, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +30.2%

I have to say I have been and will always be a big fan of this brew. It's become a staple in our fall traditions to sit around a fire or go to a party and always make sure we have a few cases of this to go around. With that said...

A: Darker Amber colored with a nice fall hue to it.

S: Very malty with a hint of spices.

T: There certainly is a sweet malty taste to this brew. This years seems to bit a bit maltier and sweeter compared to last. Spices also kick in along with a bit of a hop finish to balance out this brew. Is this screaming fall or what???

M: Good mouthfeel. Somewhat heavier but not overbearing for the season. This is how autumn should feel AND taste!

D: Again like I said before this one holds a special place in my heart. I could drink many of these in a sitting or pair it with the right foods at dinner. I think thats why I rate this one so high. It tastes good, easy to drink, and
I can pair it well with some many foods and deserts. It's almost a go to beer for me this time of year.

I will always consider this one to be an excellent brew.

lostsurf24, Oct 24, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This was part of the Fall seasonal variety pack at a wholesaler (yay for fall beer styles!). I had high expectations for this beer because of the brand and prior experience. Sam Adams Octoberfest did not disappoint!

A - poured from the bottle with a very tiny head, maybe 1-2 cm at most. The color is just gorgeous, a brown similar to that of Jack Daniel's whiskey.

S - a complex smell that seems to have a little "more" than other oktoberfests. There is everything that I expected from a traditional oktoberfests but with an increased sweetness and spiciness that differentiates it from other beers. Just taking a whiff of this makes me want to down the whole thing!

T - that spice noted in the smell comes through in the taste, as do the hops. There is a hint of sweetness similar to caramel which brings a nice balance to it.

M - this is a full bodied beer that is perfect for the Fall's colder weather. There is a very satisfying feeling of drinking something substantial and hearty.

O - great beer to enjoy during the fall. I would recommend picking up the Sam Adams variety pack at wholesaler; you can't beat the price. $1.05 or so for each bottle, including this wonderful brew, is a great price and well worth every cent.

Nikxed58, Oct 27, 2013
4.76/5  rDev +29.7%

Chris_Hager, Sep 14, 2014
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)