Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,020 | Hads: 6,814
3.03/5  rDev -17.2%

2009 version. Very nice looking copper/gold with tanish head, clear and clean. Mild aroma of malt. Tastes more
nutty than the malty sweet I would expect from a Marzen/Okto. Also very dry, to dry for my liking. Mouthfeel is good close to what I would expect for the style. Drinkabilty is poor, I wouldn't want more than one in a row. (332 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -17.5%

Raul never really liked this beer. Nah, not so much. Syrupy like a tootsie pop left in the sun and, well, that's about it. Raul ain't even gonna bring his baby mama into the equation because there aren't any redeeming qualities about this thang.

It's aite and all, and by that Raul means drinkable; but like the fountain of youth, Raul wants something that will make him want to dig in for more. (396 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured from a 12 fl. oz. bottle into a pint glass. For Brewery Fresh Taste, Enjoy Before - Mar.

Appearance: Pours a thin-looking, watery copper color. Head is somewhat weak and recedes quickly to nothing. Unfortunately, this beer looks like most bar-grade pints. Put this next to a Yuengling amber lager, and I don't think I could tell the difference.

Smell: Somewhat malty, but overall unimpressive. The aroma is very faint.

Taste: Slightly sweet cinnamon malt flavor. The taste is unoffensive and makes for an easy drinking beer. Decent, but not outstanding.

Mouthfeel: Actually a decently thick mouthfeel. Surprising for the way it looks and tastes. Probably the standout characteristic for this beer.

Overall: It comes off just too weak and watery for me. For some reason, I feel this way about a lot of Sam Adams beers. Craft for the masses? I'm ordering it at a Pizza Hut, but not too many other places. (914 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -17.5%

Appearance: 1"+ off white head recedes fairly quickly leaving decent lacing. Significant carbonation bubbles stream up the amber-brown brew.
Aroma: pleasant combination of toasted malts and spicy hops.
Mouthfeel: between light and medium bodied, fairly crisp and somewhat dry finish.
Flavor: Caramel malt and toffee, maybe a slight flavor of orange rind. The bitterness of the hops is noticeable but the malt still dominates.
Overall: a very good offering from Sam Adams. (475 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A -Tiny half finger of head rests over a reddish caramel orange brew. The head is short lived and leave no lacing.

S - Sweet, red licorice, faint currants - not a whole lot going on here, but it isn't mild, just not a lot of dimension.

T - A light, slightly sweetmalty flavor with a bit of a rice and grassy hops aftertaste. The tiniest hint of anise. Not much bitterness. Not much flavor at all. It isn't terrible or anything, it just lacks personality.

M - Thick, smooth, pretty refreshing.

D - Good. It is a decent Octoberfest, a bit bland, but it is a subtle style. I prefer my pumpkin ales to this, but I wouldn't mind drinking this again. Good with some foods. Decent all around. (697 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -17.8%

This is my first Octoberfest, so I've got nothing to compare to, but here goes:

Pours out of the bottle in a dark copper/amber color. Adequate, creamy head that sticks around for a short while. Abundent carbonation in the glass. The smell isn't powerful enough to register on my rather insensitive nose. It seems to lean malty, though.

Tastes smooth and slightly malty. A touch earthy and a bit of a toasted flavor. Rather thin across my tongue. The taste really begins quite well, then leaves behind a residual flavor that just isn't agreeing with me.

I could see where the light weight of this beer could make it more drinkable to some, but there just isn't enough flavor to encourage me to open another. (715 characters)

Pours a clear coppery orange with almost no head. Smells barely of sweet malts and a teeny bit of nut.

The taste is rather...vauge? It has little malt profile, is thin, and finishes as if it was never there. Got to love my relatives and their beer buying preferences.

I am not an Oktoberfest expert by any means, but I hope to God that there are much better american examples than this. Perhaps more research is required on my part. (438 characters)

best by feb 2010

pours clear amber brown with a 1 finger head that left no lacing

smell was very faint - lightly roasted malts

taste was not much better then the smell - lightly roasted carmel malts but still a little too sweet - no hops to be found?

mouthfeel was medium body no real life in the carbonation dept.

drinkability is so so - nothing worth having again (371 characters)

I originally sampled this beer on 18 March 2003. I am writing this review from my notes.
This beer is somewhat malty, not very bitter. This is a typical Samuel Adams offering: far better than Bud/Miller/Coors, but nothing like a good micro. drinkable. (252 characters)

Pours a very lively and bright amber color with an almond-color head that seems to dissipate rather quickly ... leaving spotty lacing inside the pint glass. The nose is malt, up front, but clearly has a generous dose of hops to balance it out. Slightly nutty notes here as well. The palate is precisely what the nose tells you - malt goodness, followed by drying, floral hops. Nice. Mouth feel is on the acidic side with more than ample carbonation. Finish is dry and leaves a lingering herbal and malt combination in the mouth. I'd estimate this to be a pretty decent American Oktoberfest beer. Very drinkable, which is the idea ... nothing challenging here, but there doesn't need to be. Nice. (695 characters)

A - Mahogany in color. Thin head with almost no lacing. Let it sit for a while and it looks like brandy.

S - Not bad. Sweet. I almost smell some Belgian candi.

T - Starts off tasting like a Boston Lager and then settles into a sort of weak maibock. Sweet and malty. Not much in the way of hops - it really could use more.

M - Fairly thin. Not much carbonation.

D - A six pack is about all I would want in any given year. This stuff is just OK. (447 characters)

Pours a clean orange-ish color with a light tan head. In the aroma, quite fruity and earthy. In the taste, just like the smell, fruity and earthy, still quite lager like. A small bite and medium to light bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry, earthy aftertaste. A bit sweet, but ok nonetheless. (290 characters)

I've tried a lot of Sam Adams products. Personally, I think they should stick with what they do best, the original Sam Adams Boston Lager. In my opinion that's a damn good beer. Other Sam Adams products...not such good beer.

But I guess if they can introduce decent beer to the masses who usually drink Bud or Miller, then Sam Adams is doing us all a service.

On to the beer -- unexceptional but adequate in every way. It looks, smells, and tastes perfectly average.

Dark orange / amber color is supposed to remind you of fall. Very little head retention though, and the beer's smell is uninspiring. There might be a touch of malty sweetness to the smell, but perhaps a touch of skunkiness as well. The only way you detect any of that is if you try really hard.

Taste is smooth and malty with a slight touch of sweetness. I know this is advertised as a "malt lover's dream," and I'm not that much of a malt lover. But still, they also brag about five malts being packed into this beer, and I'm not sensing that much complexity.

The mouthfeel is average; average creaminess, carbonation and aftertaste.

I could always drink it in a pinch, and I would appreciate it if the alternatives were larger American macro brews. Not a bad beer, but not a great one either. (1,269 characters)

Meh. Not all that impressed; like most Sams this is a dumbed down version of the real deal that's marketed to the newcomer to the micro- scene. Would order it if there's no other Marzen's on tap and the month happens to be October. But otherwise, meh. (251 characters)

Pours medium orange-amber with a persistent head. Smells of faint spice, malt, and hops. The balance is good in this Oktoberfestbier, neither malt nor hops overpower the other. However, it is lacking in 'oomph'. The spice is noticeable and is a welcome accompaniment. I'd like more spice and also stronger malts and hops. But, it is still a decent beer that I'd drink again. (374 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I'm someone who gets livid with when people describe a beer to me as smooth or when people ask for a beer that's "smooth". Usually I point them towards the bud light and do everything short of flipping them off.

A - 3.75 - burnt orange color basically no head.

S - 2.50 - nothing. A little bit of alcohol and corn.

T - 3.0 - caramel, pumpkin, straw, corn. Very light, basically no flavor.

M - 3.25 - high carbonation, no bitterness, plain sweetness, no aftertaste

O - 3.25 - pretty basic no flavor even for an October fest. (531 characters)

Appearance: Amber; clear; medium, frothy head, long lasting, good lacing

Aroma: Malty; sweet; slightly bready

Taste: Juicy, malty, zippy on start; goes into a cola-like mouthfeel in the mid; finishes slightly hoppy and semi-sweet; a little thin, and not particularly noteworthy

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores (354 characters)

Served in a 12 oz. bottle poured into a glass.

A-Poured a nice red color with a very thin white head. Had a nice head retention and good lacing.

S-Had a typical beer smell to it. No one dominant spice or malt. Admittedly my first Octoberfest so I did not know if this was out of the ordinary.

T-Had a good taste to it with just a hint of toffee flavoring. Couldn't really pick it out though. Never got that nasty taste but nothing special to write about. A little on the bitter side.

M-Very light mouthfeel, no warming sensation or anything to note. Amazingly felt like a light beer.

D-Had a few brats with this and it makes a great pairing. The bitterness completely complemented the juices from the brat. A good beer, but not the typical quality brew I would expect from Sam Adams. (798 characters)

A lot of people like this beer. I have had it several times before, but I thought I would give this one a second going over considering its in season.

Pours amber with a fair amount of head.

Caramel notes come through, sweet, not a lot going on in the aroma department. Of course do any Marzen's?

Taste: Fairly mundane, I really don't know why I keep buying these beers. They really don't have a lot going on, but I get into the whole seasonal kick of trying new styles. I personally think they are heavy lagers, (which they are) but that is what I do like about a lager, they are crisp. These are just too sweet for my personal palate. Sam is alright, I have had better but none in my opinion are outstanding beers. However, I do know people who love this style and hate the IPA's and stouts that I love.

Overall: This is an average beer. Its not a drain pour, but not really worth seeking out, if on sale or in their fall mixed 12 pack for a super deal like I got, then go for it! (987 characters)

A bit better than last year. Still yearning for the beer they brewed years ago. I use to buy 10 cases when it was a craft brew.....unfortunately, now mass produced it has lost the subtle flavors that made it great. I'm now down to one beer a year. (251 characters)

2004 edition, Standard 12 oz. brown bottle with Best Before Mar notched (could you put a year on the label please?)
Aroma: Dark malt and pumpernickel rye bread, but I really had to reach for it, pretty mild.
Appearance: Slightly hazy copper/amber body showing very little carbonation, but a respectable vanilla ice cream colored head that died off without a trace or lace.
Flavor: Nice level of malt balanced by an odd hop-like taste. Can’t put my finger on it, dear Lord, is that cooked corn? My mind is struggling with the concept. No; this is Sam Adams! It can’t be! It’s not entirely unpleasant, almost a caramel corn, but, still.
Mouthfeel: Medium body with a fair amount of carbonation, almost fizzy with a dry lip smacking finish.
Overall Impression: Eh. It’s odd; I enjoyed this one not two nights ago with friends and enjoyed it fully. Now that I sit down to review it, the flaws start to show. I’m thinking adjuncts, or maybe a mild problem in the brewing, but the “signature” flavor is actually a bit off. Still, it is an “Octoberfest” and not without merit. A fair amount of malt comes through and toward the end the fizzy aspects settle down. I guess a fair introduction for the masses to a great style. (1,230 characters)

A - Pours a clear, filtered bright orange, forms one finger of head which completely dissipates, no lacing.
S - Malts, sweetness and a slight caramel note.
T - Malts, hops, pilsner notes, sweetness and caramel.
O - An easy drinking, well balanced beer. Very sessionable.
V - Medium. (286 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2/7/07 freshness date

A: Pours a reddish amber with a fizzy head that quickly disappears. Lacing quickly slides down the glass after each sip.

S: Sort of a dirty musty malt aroma.

T: Malty and sweet with flavors of cereal grains and honey.

M: Light-medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

D: This gets the same reaction as most other brews from SA. Decent and definitely drinkable, but hardly as good as other craft brewers that produce on a smaller scale. Cheap, and easily accessible, but not noteworthy. (523 characters)

Another good beer from Sam. It pours a bit amber, with no head or lacing. Fairly thin aroma and taste. As with most of his brews, it is 'toned down' to please the masses. A little thinner in taste than most others. While it is a decent Oktoberfest, it still pales with most of the others out there. (298 characters)

This poured a dark amber copper orange with a pepsi-type carbinated head. The head quickly dissappeared and left no lace. The aroma if there was any was of toast, caramel and a background of hops. But I had to look for the aroma, it wasn't strong at all. The taste was of light malt, caramel, toast, and grape nuts. There were hops in the background but oddly it kinda balanced everything out. The downfall is that the flavor just tastes watered down. The mouthfeel, is ok. The large bubbles made it harsh on the pallete, and it left a gummy feeliing after wards. It's an ok octoberfest, but not the best. (605 characters)

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)