Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,699 | Reviews: 2,062
3.09/5  rDev -15.8%

First day of football season and first Octoberfest of the season.

A - Pours a perfectly clear amber, with a small white head which dissipates quickly.

S - Malty with some breadiness, not a big aroma

T - A bit of malty sweetness, some sour dough bread and spice notes

M - It is easy drinking and something I will always have around during the fall. Easy to put a few of these away at a time

O - An old favorite but as I try more and more great beer, I realize that this is lacking, but I will still get this at least once a year for old times sake

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

A - Orange amber color... Minimal head quickly fades... Small super quick carbonation bubbles... Reflects light and shows hints of red highlight tinting...

S - Malt... Spices... Grain... Mild and subtle...

T - Malt... Mild spices and clove... Orange zest... Slightly sweet caramel... Varied, but nothing distinctive...

M - Slight carbonation on tongue... Gentle... Oily... Not too much going on...

D - Not a big fan... Understated in all facets...

Bottle / Artwork - Textbook Samuel Adams design...

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

Probably my least favorite SA seasonal. And while Oktoberfest has never been a particular favorite style of mine, there are certainly much better options out there.

The color is probably the best part of the beer. A nice caramelized toffee color promises a nice malt presence.

The beer smells of some sweet malts but not much else. It's a pretty weak-smelling brew and left me wanting more. It tasted about the same, some mild malt and a little undefined spicing. Basically it felt like they used a lager base beer and just amped up the malt and removed some of the hops. I am beginning to recall why I never buy this beer. (Luckily this one was free at a charity event).

It drinks easily enough but the carbonation left me feeling more full than a beer with such little body warranted. Plus because the flavor profile is so poor, even though I could drink a bunch more, I really don't want to.

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

A: Poured out a copper color with a light two finger thick caramel-colored head of frothy foam that clears quickly and leaves minimal lacing.

S: A subdued aroma of toasted bread and biscuit malt base with some caramel. Not a bad smell but very subdued and unimpressive.

T: The flavor is mild like the smell. Plenty of light toasted grains with a slight toffee flavor and a hint of sweetness. There is a mild floral hoppiness on the finish.

M: A medium body mouth feel with a medium amount of smooth carbonation on the tongue.

O: A very drinkable Oktoberfest but also a very forgettable one as well. Mild is the overall theme with the beer so nothing is particularly memorable or especially enjoyable.

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle into a nonic glass, this beer is a very clear amber color with a very thin head that left no lacing on the glass. The aroma was not exactly pleasant, mostly just sour malt. The flavor was incredibly one note, just lots of sweet malt flavors with a only hint of toastiness. Decent beer, but I don't know that I would recommend it to a friend.

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

A: Copper reddish brown color when poured. Very little to show for head or its retention, as well as miniscule lace on the first few sips.

S: Somewhat rich and toasty malt aromas, which contrast with a hint of spice and sweetness.

T: Carbonation got in the way of what could be a better malt-heavy beer. The taste comes through, but mostly toward the middle-end after a light introduction. However, the toasty notes leave a more pleasant aftertaste, but begin to dull a bit.

M: Tasted a little too carbonated, which curled the tongue and hurt the immediate finish. This made it light-tasting, it seems. On tap this felt even worse, but out of the bottle it was slightly more bearable.

D: Probably good for a couple rounds, but after a while, the composition of this beer can make it tough to go through the cyclical carbonated taste and lack of spontaneity in the flavor.

A little too... middle-of-the-road, I'd say. I was expecting something better from this seasonal due to the good things I've heard through word-of-mouth, but in the end was slightly disappointed.

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

I drank it out out of a pint glass poured from a 12 oz. bottle. The best thing this beer has going for it is its taste. The color is intriguing. Pours the color that everyone else has said, orange/amber combination. Taste is not bad at all. This is the first beer of this style that I have tried, so I'm not sure how to describe it. But it does taste a bit "weak" if that makes sense. Not watery in the sense of a macro, but it could definitely use a stronger presense. But what taste is there, is good. Like many other have said, I wouldn't go way out of my way to drink this, but it is fairly drinkable, and does taste good for what it is.

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

A - Deep amber color with a cream colored head that dissapated into a thin cover pretty quick.

S - Caramel malt aroma with a slight bready aroma.

T - Caramel malt flavor with a hint of hop bitterness.

M - light bodied.

O - Not overly impressed with this beer. It just doesn't have the malt flavor that a good oktoberfest typically has.

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

An intriguing Oktoberfest, to say the least. This is not one I would normally try, but we must do what we must do in order to advance the BA cause. This brew poured out a rich amber/copper color, and left a respectable head and a lace that lingered for a good bit of time. The aroma and flavor are just about what I expected from this Sam Adams brew. Nothing overly extravagant, nor inspiring. If anything, this brew was a bit on the sweet side.

Zum wohl!

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from bottle into my Blackstone Brewery pint glass.

A: Pours an amber/golden orange color with a half finger tan head that dissipated incredibly fast. Left a moderate amount of lacing.

S: Beer. Nothing special, just smelled like a macro beer.

T: Malts, biscuit/bread, a tiny bit of sweetness, maybe some caramel, pumpkin, and a bit of butterscotch. Bready finish.

M: Decent amount of carbonation, a little chewy, I'd say medium bodied.

D: Not hard to put a few back if you want. I wasn't a fan so one was my limit.

I wasn't a fan of this, which was disappointing. I love Sam Adams summer ale so I had high expectations for this brew but I would describe it as average at best.

3.07/5  rDev -16.3%

2003 release poured a red/amber. Head was gone by the time it reached me. I was unable to detect much of anything aroma wise, so I guess it's up to the taste buds. Not much happening yet - too cold. After letting it warm, taste was mostly malt and caramel, with a minor hop presence. Finish was dry dry dry, with some dryness and left a bit of a dry feeling on my palate. Pucker-fest is more like it.

Not bad, but no where near as good as I remember it.

3.07/5  rDev -16.3%

Amber with a white collar and no head yet it left one stringy lace ring. Metallic with some noble hop spice--could be the victim of a frosty mug. Inoffensive toasted malt with some minor noble hop spice in back. Seems buttery this year?

I remember this being better. Bummer.

3.07/5  rDev -16.3%

Weak head which barely gets to half a finger before dissipating to weak swirls across the surface, thin streaks of lacing. Nice glow to the red amber color, thins into a zinc orange around the rims. The nose is gently spiced with clove, nutmeg and allspice, followed on by cereal, mixed white citrus and oregano and bay leaf herbs, neither that malty nor that fruity. In the mouth it's medium-bodied, the carbonation arguably a bit much for the primary material and does not allow the flavors time to soak in. More of that raw spice mixed in with herbs and a light metallic accent. Hard to shake that dilute feeling, no fruit or citrus to fill in the blanks and the malts not very sweet, some dark chocolate dust. The graininess milled down and powdery. Some lift at the end, but without much direction.

3.07/5  rDev -16.3%

I picked up a six-pack of Sam Adams Octoberfest at a grocery store to taste, review and enjoy. I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler.

Pours a light copper color and is clear. A thin white head forms and dissapates quickly to nothing.

The smell is sweet and earthy. There are some malted grain notes, and sweet fruit fragrance, peaches and apricots.

The taste is sweet and flavorful. There is a caramel malt flavor, roasted grain and a mildly bitter hop finish. The flavors are reasonably well balanced.

The mouth feel is smooth and little cloying.

This is a drinkable beer. I’m not real familiar with the style, but this is drinkable, and I’d have it again.

3.07/5  rDev -16.3%

Nice clarity, beautiful bright copper color, large head induced by vigorous pour retreats to thin off-white cap.

Light malty aroma with a dry soapy end note.

Sweet carmel malt with lemony bitterness and a cornbread end-note.

Carbonation gives a soft bite to the tongue, otherwise smooth and clean, with a medium to light body.

Easy drinker although fairly pedestrian. Not a bad beer, nothing to write home about.

3.07/5  rDev -16.3%

This was poured into a dimpled beer mug.

A-deep reddish, medium amber brew with a thin tan head that left minimal lacing on the glass. I was surprised to see there was not much to the appearance here.

S-Faint smell of caramel, toasy malt, and some spice. There was also a nice smell of cherry, too. It smelled quite refreshing and I was looking forward to my first sip. But the taste didn't meet my expectations.

T-Toasty malt, caramel malt, some autumn-esque spice, carmelized nuts, baked nutty taste. The aftertaste was okay: buttered bread with some buttery, toasted nuts. A faint taste of pumpkin.

M-The mouthfeel was disappointing. I thought it was a little too wet for this style. It was too fizzy from the carbonation. At times I felt like I was drinking a fizzy soda water. A slight dry feel was present.

Overall-This is just an average beer, not bad, not great, just a beer to have during the crisp fall months. Note the word "crisp", a word that this beer lacks. I love having nice autumn beer that gives me a nostalgic feeling that reminds me of the smell of fire places and leaves changing colors. This beer did not present that feeling.

3.06/5  rDev -16.6%

had this from a 12-oz bottle. Oktoberfest is spelled wrong on the bottle.

A: pours a nice amber/caramel color with a nice head that lasts a few minutes. Good looking bier.
S: it doesn't have the same aroma as some of the top-notch oktoberfest biers, but just enough sweetness to lure you in.
T: follows the smell--mild sweetness, a little malty, but nothing special. The taste is not full enough to be a solid fest-marzen brew.
M: not bad.
D: Could easily have a few of these without thinking about it. Goes down easy but it isn't a bier that I would get excited about having with friends. If it is there, I'll drink it.

Overall, I was a little disappointed with this bier. I had heard great things from my friends about the SA fest, so I thought I would try. Again, not bad, but not great. Have if you will...

3.06/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Notes taken Sept/16/11.

Appearance - One finger, barely off-white head with decent retention. Clear amber body.

Smell - Mild malt. Mild is key here. Needs some more kick, even for a festbier.

Taste - Delicious kick in the fist sip. Mildly astringent throughout. Corny. Low to medium malt masks astringency. Mild and mostly flavorless for the style, but smooth and very drinkable.

Mouthfeel - Smooth. Slightly creamy. Some effervescence. Hint of astringency.

Overall Drinkability - Decent, middle of the road for the style.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A solid seasonal beer from Sam Adams.

3.06/5  rDev -16.6%

Poured into pint glass for a dark orange, almost reddish somewhat seethru body with two-finger, foamy head. Slightly spicy in the smell, but a little weak with no real hops kicking in. Thin to medium body, there is some sweetness in this beer but it is a little overpowered by the rather drying, grainy hops and some rough spices. Not mixed too well, there was a weird aftertaste for me with this beer. It wasn't bad, it wasn't that enjotable though.

3.06/5  rDev -16.6%

Best by Jan 2013 date on bottle.

Served in a pint glass.

a. A dark golden color. Head is a slight off white color.

s. I can't quite get what the smell of this is, it is not offensive but not the most appealing.

t. this is maybe the most generic octoberfest beer I have ever had. It is not offensive but is not bad either.

m. for some reason this beer tastes almost syrupy to me.

o. not a hateful beer, but not the best. The good things are you can find it almost any where. I will gladly buy it again in the fall season.

3.06/5  rDev -16.6%

Poured a 2" beige head. Nice clear amber appearance. There's almost no smell, even after warmed, but what I do get would amount to malt. There's a slight hint of malt in the taste but nowhere near the five kinds of malt they claim in the ads. Wee bit of spicing. Hey, it's fine, a drinkable beer, and it does match the Fall season, but nothing blows me away here.

3.06/5  rDev -16.6%

This beer looked better than it tasted. I only had one, but there was a definite off-note, a toned down version of what I associate with the big macrobrews brewed with corn and such. That is to say, this beer is better than those beers but it has a slightly skunked aftertaste despite being properly handled and consumed soon after purchase. I often dislike Oktoberfests, so maybe I just have odd taste. I did use it to swallow a vitamin (I imagine my mother shuddered for no apparent reason when that happened), but that wasn't until three quarters through the glass. The carbonation is pleasant and the beer has a good dryness, but I'm put off by the off note. That sounded a bit repetitive. With the help of BA, I'm seriously cutting my teeth as a beer snob. Now, I just need to go to a beer festival and find a super limited release to give a perfect score to.

Draft served in Sam Adams lager glass
Aroma of malt
Head removed by bartender – what remains is white, frothy, and rapidly diminishes to 2 mm ring
Lacing poor – occasional island and reef of tiny bubbles
Body medium red-amber, clear, continual bubble generation
Flavor malty, ends slightly astringent; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3, Aroma 3.25, Flavor 3, Palate 3, Overall 3.0625

3.05/5  rDev -16.9%

Serving was from a 12 oz. bottle, from a case purchased Sept. 2006. I also purchased a case each of Oktoberfest brews from Penn Brewery and Stoudts Brewery at the same time, in order to do a side by side by side comparison.

The Sam Adams Octoberfest beer produces a deep orange/amber colored beer in the glass, with a relatively short lived off white head. Sheeting was good to the bottom of the glass. The nose is unremarkable, with notes of bready/toasty malts. The flavor to me also had a slighty toasted malt note, very light, but balanced. The mouthfeel was a little on the thin side for my liking, and for my expecations of the style (remember that I was comparing this to 2 other Fest brews at the same time). Finish is dry, with no aftertaste. Of the 3 Octoberfest brews I tried, this was my least favorite, but still, it has its merits in its balance and drinkability.

Prost!

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)