Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Copper amber with a creamy tan head that leaves sliding lace on the glass. Toffee, bready yeast and mild citric hops are all present in the nose. Nice and malty with a bit more hop bittering than the traditional german take on the style. Medium light bodied and creamy. A nice O-fest.

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

A- Pours out a nice red hue with a small off-white head that has very low retention. Falls to a small ring and cloud.

S- Pretty standard for an Oktoberfest. Lots of buttery caramel malt. Some dark fruit. It just leads you to thinking of sweetness. This one has some cheaper malt hints, probably due to adjuncts.

T- Follows the nose. Lots of malt up front, caramel and grainy. Bready and buttery notes. Pretty high sweetness. Some earthy and grassy hops. Some dark cherry-like fruit notes. These flavors are nice but the obvious adjunct malt flavors lingering in the background throw it off completely.

MF- Moderate, somewhat creamy body with high end carbonation. Just a bit bitter.

DB- A flavor suitable for autumn but the sweetness and adjunct lager-like malt flavors hurt it. It tastes "cheap" at points but I still wouldn't call it a bad beer. I guess you get what you pay for here. The fruit notes also remind me a bit of cough syrup or something.

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

Out of that yung sampler pack

A- Pours a medium brown that leaves relatively little lacing

S- Some malts in there but honestly not much going on.

T- Tiny amount of hops and lots of malts. Rather noncomplex and uninteresting

M- Nice and smooth, best part of the beer

O- Least favorite from the sampler pack. Would not have again

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A good looking beer with the Autumn colored label, bottle and cap, freshness marked on the label. Clear amber color and off white head.

Smell: This is my first October Fest brew and I have no clue what the style should be like, this seems like a tentative beer, the smell is very mild with just barely a hint of spice.

Taste: Some caramel and a little too much carbonation.

Mouthfeel: Feels like it goes flat pretty fast after having too much carbanation up front. Leaves an aftertaste that to me is neither pleasant nor offensive, it's just there.

Drinkability: A little boring to drink.

Notes: No idea if this is typical of an October Fest beer, I hope not as it was a dull experience.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a copper colored body with an off-white almost tan head. The head is creamy and has a lot of staying power as does the lace. It has a sweet aroma with a little bit of a hoppy fruit smell. It has a roasty malt flavor at first. It is a sweet beer for the most part but there some good hops in the flavor. The mouthfeel is a little chewy with some carbonation.

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

When poured into a glass, the color was medium amber in color with a medium amount of foam that disapated in a short time. The smell of roasted malts and a hint of caramel and spices filled the nose with a pleasant aroma. The taste didn't match the aroma. The taste was a little weak in flavor and a little to bitter. There was the roasted barley malts, but that is just about all. I can't find the caramel and just a touch of spice?

This is not one of there better ales. A little disappointed, but, you can't win them all!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- 1/4" tanish white head. Darker amber clear color with maybe a bit of orange to it. Very little lacing, basically none.
S- Malty sweet. Maybe some caramel with some sugar? Light floral hops?
T-Sweeter maltier taste. Not much hop taste at all if any. Bit of caramel or something around that in the taste. Light bitterish aftertaste. Crisp but bit sticky.
M- Thin body. Medium carbonation but on higher side.
D- Doesn't touch the Spaten Oktoberfest. It is alright and is drinkable but doubt I would buy it again.

Poured into a mug.

Brown and clear. Foamy white head. Nice carbonation climbing to the top.

Smells faintly malty and roasty. A hint of hops.

Tastes like an octoberfest. Smooth flavor, sort of sweet, touch of herbal hops.

It's light bodied with appropriate carbonation.

This is an octoberfest. Any typical Marzen gets a B with me. None of them blow me away and I don't think I've ever regretted drinking one.

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

I aquired this beer from a co-worker who recieved the Sam Adams Winter variety pack, and well I guess he didn't like it as he gave me most of them.

After drinking several, I admit that most didn't sit well with me, however this one did. I kind of like it.

Appearance ~ I drank it out of a bottle, so I really have no clue. Holding it up to a window, it looks dark, but I can see through it. I'm going to give it a three because I'm too lazy to get up and pour it into a glass.

Smell ~ Hmmmm... come to think of it, this probably isn't a fair review for me either as I have a bit of congestion... It smells sweet, I think of cherries when I sniff.

Taste ~ This is where the OctoberFest excels when compared to the other beers in the variety pack. (note - I said when compared to other beers in the variety pack). The word of caution is because I can't quite decide if I think the taste is above average. I think I sometimes confuse "taste" with "mouthfeel". I'm going to give it a 3.5.

Mouthfeel ~ this I like,it's crisp, but not too crisp, giving it a slight silky smoothness that coats your mouth but rinses out quickly. This I like. 4

Overall ~ for me, this is an above average Sam Adams beer, as I'm typically not a fan of their offerings, but it's not a beer I would go out and purchase. So I got to say it's just average.

Sorry...

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark amber with a minimal white foamy head. Very malty, fruity-estery nose. Light on hops. Extremely creamy, but medium-bodied. Taste is malts, malts, and more malts. Finish reminds me of apple peels, and is somewhat crisp. I think this is where the hops come in. Not a bad brew. Overdoes it on the malts I think. Not my favorite Sam Adams, but highly quaffable.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an amber/orange color with a nice 2 finger tight head. Has nice nutty and fruity aromas. Has a strange mouthfeel for an Octoberfest, but the flavor reveals light hops with light caramel on the nose and crisp fruitiness with medicinal aftertaste. Light to medium bodied and is semi-sticky on the tail. More crisp than others of this style. Not too bad, but way below great. Cheers!

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

You can pass on this one. Middle of the road.

A Pours a crystal clear dark amber with a thick, off-white head with only a little bit of lace and retention.

S: Mostly grain, malt, a bit musty and metallic. Otherwise in the right direction.

T: Overwhelmingly malty. Malts are sweet and chewy. Notes of candied raisin, fruitcake, plum cake (not my favorites). Not enough herbal hop spice -- and too little bitterness. Metallic, grain, tin can, mineral flavors. As Alstrom wrote an old steel finish - agree.

F: lots carbonation, thin, a little cloying, not a great food beer or great finish.

O: I would pass, this is safe and unoriginal, with too many off, stale, and metallic notes clutter a thin experience.

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

Served from bottle into clear glass earlier today.

A Thin head which dissapeared reasonably quickly. Brown, caramel body which is very typical of many Oktoberfests I have had.

S Very malty, moderate smell with some hops detectable. A very smooth smell.

T Malts dominate with some hops (much like the nose).

M Very smooth, moderately full.

D Just fine but nothing that gets me too excited.

Notes: This struck me as a very "safe" brew from Sam Adams but unfortunately for me a little bit boring. On the positive side it is certainly a fair example of an Oktoberfest and anyone buying or drinking this will not be dissapointed there.

3.29/5  rDev -10.4%

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

A very light malt aroma noted. Dark copper/orange color in appearance. Very minimual head with moderate bubbles/carbonation, very clear in appearance. Flavor is moderate with a slight bitterness, goes down smooth with no aftertatse. Will drink this every year when it comes out.

The only issue I have with Samuel Adams seasonal beers is the
freshness, or often the lack thereof, and its pronounced effect on the product. Time takes the subtile edge off of these mass market/craft beers, particularly the aromatics and finish. I've had very good ones and poor ones. It is Beer O'Clock on Friday and my draft Octoberfest's appearance is deep and rich in its plain 20oz glass. It has a subdued head, as the draft seems well chilled. It has a smooth and pleasant caramel sweetness that turns slightly tannic bitter in the finish that does not linger. It is not dry. I find it a tad over hopped for the style, a tendency with Sam Adams. The taste flourishes at a cool temperature. Like most Sam Adams I find it to be a solid representation of the style and certainly worth drinking.

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours an orange-amber color with a quickly dissapating head. What little aroma there is seems to be of toasted malt. The taste is a little more interesting with notes of caramel and a little corn as well. Any flavor at all seems very minimal. Pretty unimpressive O-fest.

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a nice copper red with a tannish head that is about inch thick. Lacing is good. The smell is very apple/dark syrup/molasses malts, very sweet smelling, baked apple pie. The taste is sweet, nice molasses sugar sweet with hints of apple. The hops make the beer not overly sweet. Medium bodied and not bad for a beer you can find at the local supermarket.

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured amber golden color with a small head. Nice smell with a caramel malty taste. This is a very drinkable Marzen and was a plesant surprise to find at a number of restaurants this past September - November. Even though I like Great Lakes or Old Dominion better I will look for this bear again this September.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)