Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,700 | Reviews: 2,063
4.51/5  rDev +22.9%

Nice dark orange color with a good head that dissapears into a very very ring.

Smells great. Sweet, very small amount of hops and slightly alcoholic. The alcohol smell is very good, almost like a fine liquor as it warms. To tell you the truth this might be the best smelling alcohol esters I have ever smelled.

Taste is phenominal. Sweet, bready, caramel goodness with just a touch of hops. Oh and of course the alcohol from the smell loses none of its deliciousness.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

A-Clear amber color with thick white head. Looks like autumn in a bottle.
S-Tons of malted barley-toasted and caramel. Spicy noble hops in there too. I like.
T-Rich malted barley dominates-sweet toasted toffee/caramel. A kiss of hops to break up the malt. Smooth finish.
M-Good body, moderate carbonation gives a little zing.
D-Really high. Have drank the hell out of this beer.
O-One of my favorite Marzens-great malt flavor, well done brew. Probably my favorite beer from SA.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

Appearance/color: Very deep orange-amber in color, which definitely reminds me of something to drink in the fall.

Smell: Is sweet smelling but not too overpowering.

Taste: It has a good balance of bittering and aroma hops, so I have to say it has a very balanced taste. The caramel definitely comes through in the malt and the head is held nicely with a good pour. Just like most Samuel Adams brews, when the head is nicely formed the aroma shines. Regardless, it's still an excellent taste.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and sweet on the tongue. It reminds me of brown sugar.

Drinkability: Definitely a seasonal beer. The sweetness would be too much to drink regularly.

Final thoughts: Definitely recommend this one to everyone. It's something really special and enjoys a good glass.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

Oktoberfest is my favorite during this time of year.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

You just have to love all octoberfest beers

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

A: Classic Sam Adams bottle design. Beer pours a deep red/amber color with 1 inch, long lived head

S: Toffee and caramel, rather sweet.

T: Toffee and caramel, strong but not over powering.

M: Smooth and light

D: Very drinkable, not too strong, definately not weak, perfectly balanced beer.

Octoberfest is my favorite Marzen style beer, one of the most enjoyable brews from Sam; of their beers it comes in second only when compared to their Irish Red.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

One of the most anticipated releases annually for me, between the the beer and the weather this combination is not equaled by any other large brewer in America. As usual with SA October has a strong and spiced flavor that stays with your palette til the next gulp. The head doesn't remain as long as I would like but that doesn't mean the flavor disappears with it. Overall a beer that goes with any autumn activity!

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

This is my first review, and I'm coming from drinking the good 'ol shitty American macro brews!! With that said there is a huge difference in smell, taste, mouth feel, etc.

Smell to me is sweeter (spices) with a hint of bread dough, I assume this is a roasted malt smell.

Taste, well there is a lot more than the macros. Not being able to separate the individual characteristics I would say caramel/tofee malts upfront then a very slight hop bitter.

Mouthfeel is a little "heavier" than the macros but still smooth and easy going down just enough carbonation.

Drinkability, this is the first beer I've had that I can sip, chug, actually enjoy without feeling like I have to force down the last half off the bottle.
Update - After over a year of trying craft and macro micro brews this still remains my favorite. I can drink this after mowing the yard, playing cards, watching football, playing darts, you name it this beer works.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

A: Pours a deep coppery color

S: Sweet and a hint of spices/pumpkin

T: I liked the taste from the get go. Smooth and flavorful with a hint of carmel and reminds me of thanksgiving.

M: crisp and well balanced for a seasonal brew.

D: Very pleasing and a great seasonal brew! I look forward to this every season and recommend an earlier release than waiting until it is towards it's end of shelf life. But I recommend that on all beers!

I like this better than most seasonal offerings with the exception of Shipyards pumpkin head. enjoy!

4.48/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Looks, smells, and tastes like Autumn. The perfect fall beer and for me the most eagerly anticipated each year from BBC. Picked up an extra case to enjoy well into spring - right around their 'enjoy before' date matures - and reminisce about cool fall temps. Solid, solid beer.

4.47/5  rDev +21.8%

A: pours a clear copper/amber color into a DFH signature glass with a half a finger of tan head that dissipates slowly and leaves no lacing.

S: sweet, light roasted malt, bread, a bit of spice, nutmeg and some citrus.

T: sweet malt is the biggest flavor with some great yeasty notes. Brown sugar and some nice light spices push there way through the huge amount of malt. Dark fruits like figs, dates and plums shine through. Mellow citrus hangs on the back of the tongue.

MF: medium body, slightly chewy, moderate effervescence.

O: a very good marzen beer, in my top three! Beautiful flavors and aromas have mingled to make a beautifully balanced beer.

4.47/5  rDev +21.8%

Another great beer from Sam Adams. There's not much more I can say that already hasn't been said. Great smell and flavor in my opinion exactly what you would expect from a marzen style beer. I'm a big fan of Sam Adams beers and I've always been partial to their Octoberfest.

4.46/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 fl oz bottle poured into a 0.5 L dimpled stein.

A - Gives about an inch of lasting off-white head over a dark amber body. This beer is clear with light carbonation and mild lacing. Head fades into a thin layer.

S - Malty caramel aroma with a touch of bread.

T - Sweet, malty caramel flavors jump out at you from the start. Don't feel this to be excessively sweet. Toasty and biscuity touch lingers until the next sip and is balanced out with a very mild yet persistent bitterness.

M - LIght carbonation and medium-to-full body that is quite chewy.

O - I'm really enjoying this year's Oktoberfest from Sam Adams. I'm partial to the amber Marzens and their caramel flavor so this one just hits the spot for me. I definitely wish this beer would be offered year-round and am looking forward to see what Jim Koch and the guys at BBC come up with for next year. Glad I still have a few of these left in the fridge.

4.45/5  rDev +21.3%

I tried some very good fall beers last year, but for some reason I love coming back to the Marzen style Sam Adams Octoberfest. For me it's the quintessential Autumn beer. It pours a deep amber color and possesses a sweet malty finish. A very nice divergence from many of the Highly Hopped IPAs around NE Ohio.

Sam Adams Octoberfest will always remain one of my favorites for the Autumn Season.

4.45/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite seasonal beer. An automatic go to.

4.45/5  rDev +21.3%

This beer is just simply amazing and great after a long day at work. Another great job from the Sam Adams people, this beer certainly lives up to their reputation and can be enjoyed by pretty much anybody. It has a great taste, color & aroma to it and tastes incredible! It's not good after being stored for more than 4 or 5 months. The fresher the better, and always finishes with a refreshing ah!

4.44/5  rDev +21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was one of those special times where the beer was extra special delicious. Had it on tap at the White Palm in Topton, Pa
Watery mouthfeel with a clean finish, traces of brown bread, yeast. I tried the bottled version, and its close but not the same.

4.44/5  rDev +21%

Full bodied and rich is seasonal spices. One of my all-time favorites.

4.44/5  rDev +21%

Ive been drining this beer every fall for several years now, and just realized to my surprise that I havent rated it yet.

It pours a nice amber hue with a good amount of khaki colored head retention. The smell is outstanding, very malty and reminiscent of autumn.

I love the flavor of this octoberfest, its very flavorful without being too sweet or syrupy.

The mouthfeel and carbonation are also excellent, as is common in most sam adams ales.

This is definitely one of my favorite Octoberfest beers, and possibly the one single seasonal beer that I look forward too the most each year.

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

There are better Oktoberfests out there, such as New Glarus Staghorn Oktoberfest. Having said that, this beer is pretty amazing. Mmmm, the taste is truly fantastic, lots of malt with a hint of yeast flavours and a touch of hops. Throw in the price tag, which for a beer of this quality is pratically free, and I'm drinkin' this beer everyday until winter comes.

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

Honestly, this beer might be my favorite. However that might be skewed because of it only being a limited availability. It has a great color coupled with a smell that just smells like Sam Adams bottled Fall. The flavors go together nicely and will have you trying to figure out what each one is until you get too inebriated to care. I love this beer. And this year I've tried several other brands of Octoberfest beers and found myself preferring this one over all of the others. All of the taste combined with the price makes the beer a hit.

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

Picked up this bottle as part of a microbrew sampler pack @ Cost Plus World Market, Eugene, OR. Freshness date is Feb07, so im drinking this about a month past it's best by.

Pours an absolutely beautiful clear ruby/copper color. Slightly off white head. Fairly decent head retention. Very heavily carbonated. Has a very malty smell with a bit of yeast, Smooth, slightly thick mouthfeel. It's awfully hard to pick out specific tastes, it's a very well balanced beer. Very easy to drink, but it would probably be alot better if it was fresher.

4.42/5  rDev +20.4%

A mellow October beer with a smooth finish. Good flavor with less bite than I expected. I found this a very pleasing drink. There is a malt bias, with no IPA like bitterness. Great with a meal or just a refreshing drink. I wish this one was around more of the year.

4.42/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Best seasonal that Sam Adams has to offer. One of the best Fall beers out there!

4.42/5  rDev +20.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Best before Jan 2011. Pours a copper orange with one finger of white head. Clear with what looks like ample carbonation.

Smells include malts, biscuits, sweetness, some grassy hops, caramel, and toasted grains. Nice boutique of aromas.

Tastes like a quality Marzen/Oktoberfest--true to the style with a nice backbone of malts with some caramel/toffy sweetness and a nice shot of bitterness to balance things out some. Finishes with a nice biscuit-like dryness. Toasty and malty, this is cool-fall weather reliable standby.

Mouthfeel has a nice crispness to complement the snap of cool air outside. Perfect amount of carbonation.

Drinkability--one of the most drinkable in this style category that I have had. Goes down very easily. There is just something quintessential about the fall time and this beer. Call it nostalgia or just a quality brew--either way, this one scores repeatedly.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)