Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,071 | Hads: 7,102
4.45/5  rDev +21.6%

I tried some very good fall beers last year, but for some reason I love coming back to the Marzen style Sam Adams Octoberfest. For me it's the quintessential Autumn beer. It pours a deep amber color and possesses a sweet malty finish. A very nice divergence from many of the Highly Hopped IPAs around NE Ohio.

Sam Adams Octoberfest will always remain one of my favorites for the Autumn Season.

4.45/5  rDev +21.6%

This beer is just simply amazing and great after a long day at work. Another great job from the Sam Adams people, this beer certainly lives up to their reputation and can be enjoyed by pretty much anybody. It has a great taste, color & aroma to it and tastes incredible! It's not good after being stored for more than 4 or 5 months. The fresher the better, and always finishes with a refreshing ah!

4.44/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was one of those special times where the beer was extra special delicious. Had it on tap at the White Palm in Topton, Pa
Watery mouthfeel with a clean finish, traces of brown bread, yeast. I tried the bottled version, and its close but not the same.

4.43/5  rDev +21%

There are better Oktoberfests out there, such as New Glarus Staghorn Oktoberfest. Having said that, this beer is pretty amazing. Mmmm, the taste is truly fantastic, lots of malt with a hint of yeast flavours and a touch of hops. Throw in the price tag, which for a beer of this quality is pratically free, and I'm drinkin' this beer everyday until winter comes.

4.43/5  rDev +21%

Honestly, this beer might be my favorite. However that might be skewed because of it only being a limited availability. It has a great color coupled with a smell that just smells like Sam Adams bottled Fall. The flavors go together nicely and will have you trying to figure out what each one is until you get too inebriated to care. I love this beer. And this year I've tried several other brands of Octoberfest beers and found myself preferring this one over all of the others. All of the taste combined with the price makes the beer a hit.

4.43/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Copper colored. Large, fluffy, off-white head. Smells semi sweet and malty. Crisp, clean toasted, slightly sweet bready malts. Hops are noticeable, but subtle. Just a little spice kick. Clean, dry finish. Great malty aftertaste. I know people like to hate on BBC, but this is one of the top handful of marzens, American and abroad. I encourage anyone who doesn't think so to do a blind test with an Ayinger.

4.43/5  rDev +21%

Picked up this bottle as part of a microbrew sampler pack @ Cost Plus World Market, Eugene, OR. Freshness date is Feb07, so im drinking this about a month past it's best by.

Pours an absolutely beautiful clear ruby/copper color. Slightly off white head. Fairly decent head retention. Very heavily carbonated. Has a very malty smell with a bit of yeast, Smooth, slightly thick mouthfeel. It's awfully hard to pick out specific tastes, it's a very well balanced beer. Very easy to drink, but it would probably be alot better if it was fresher.

4.42/5  rDev +20.8%

A mellow October beer with a smooth finish. Good flavor with less bite than I expected. I found this a very pleasing drink. There is a malt bias, with no IPA like bitterness. Great with a meal or just a refreshing drink. I wish this one was around more of the year.

4.42/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Best before Jan 2011. Pours a copper orange with one finger of white head. Clear with what looks like ample carbonation.

Smells include malts, biscuits, sweetness, some grassy hops, caramel, and toasted grains. Nice boutique of aromas.

Tastes like a quality Marzen/Oktoberfest--true to the style with a nice backbone of malts with some caramel/toffy sweetness and a nice shot of bitterness to balance things out some. Finishes with a nice biscuit-like dryness. Toasty and malty, this is cool-fall weather reliable standby.

Mouthfeel has a nice crispness to complement the snap of cool air outside. Perfect amount of carbonation.

Drinkability--one of the most drinkable in this style category that I have had. Goes down very easily. There is just something quintessential about the fall time and this beer. Call it nostalgia or just a quality brew--either way, this one scores repeatedly.

4.41/5  rDev +20.5%

This beer has only 1 downfall. It's only available a few months out of the year. I found the flavor to be similar to their Winter Lager, but less bitter. This beer is very smooth and one could easily down a 6'er if they so choose.

I drink a lot of Sam Adams, and given a choice, I would drink this one year round.

4.41/5  rDev +20.5%

A - Pours a nice amber/orange, Nice head that disapates to minimal lacing. Looks like Fall in a bottle.

S - Very malty...sweet.,,,some hops noted.

T - Malty. Excellent toffee and caramel notes. Nice balance. Just enough hop bitterness to keep the malts in check. Great solid beer.

M - Slightly creamy...medium body.

O: A nice solid Oktoberfest at a great price. I love this stuff and will miss it when gone.

4.4/5  rDev +20.2%

12 oz. brown bottle, Pours a clear orange/copper color, lots of tiny bubbles spiral upwards to form a thick, tan foamy head that settles pretty fast. Not lacking any malt aromas, sweet caramel, toffee, and German malts. Medium bodied. A taste of caramel and German malts dominates this beer. Just a touch of herbal hops in the finish. Leaves a ligth nutty aftertaste. Balanced perfectly. Smooth and easy drinking. One of my favorite beers, I love this time of year.

4.4/5  rDev +20.2%

A-Poured into my official Samuel Adams Octoberfest mug. It pours an amber/copper color with a thick off white head that slowly dissipates leaving a thin layer of foam.

S-Extremely malty and sweet, with some caramel.

T-This is all about the malts. Its slightly sweet and grainy at first, but as it warms the caramel notes emerge. Its very crisp, clean, and refreshing.

M-Just slightly thin but they have a nice amount of carbonation.

D-I could drink this all day, it makes a great session beer.

Overall, this beer is awesome. It has a great flavor, its not too thick, and has a relatively low abv. so it makes a great session beer. I can't wait to grill some smoked sausage or brats and drink a few of these.

4.4/5  rDev +20.2%

A- Rich amber color one finger plus head had pretty good staying power.

S- Complex smooth and mellow malt aroma.

T- Great caramel malty sweetness balanced quite well by a good mellow noble hop pressence.

M- Smooth, nuff said!

D- KInda pissed I only bought a single.

Easily the best american Oktoberfest out there.

4.4/5  rDev +20.2%

Wow! I am surprised I like this beer now. I first tried it a year ago and was unimpressed. However, I have tried many beers in that year and can now say SA Octoberfest will be in my fridge all season. I've had this beer many times this year so I think this is accurate for me:

Poured into my Friar Tuck pint glass

A.Pours a copper-red color with a 1/2" off-white head. Very fine lacing. Head retention is about 30 seconds.

N. Smells malty with some hop aroma although I can't place the hops (my nose is not that talented yet). Smells like other Oktoberfest beers.

T. Initial taste is malty and bready and some hop bitterness is present at the finish which refreshes the palate for the next drink.

M. Moderate carbonation and medium body make this beer enoyable.

D. Overall a solid beer in my opinion. Certainly an Oktoberfest that has earned a place in my fridge. The SA website lists the ABV at 5.3% which helps make the beer very drinkable and sessionable. That being said I'm off for another!

4.39/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours from the bottle a very dark amber with a thin off - white head that dissipates rapidly.

The smell is sweet, almost citrusy, with a nice toffee aroma. There is a nice toasted malt presence as well.

The taste begins with sweet notes, has a great (still a bit sweet) lightly toasted caramel flavor, and finishes with a hint of hoppiness.

The mouth feel is crisp, but full-bodied with with balanced carbonation.

Overall, this is one of my favorite interpretations of an Oktoberfest beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a big glass mug. The liquid is a dark amber orange. The head is big 3 fingers and rocky. Fades slow leaving a nice lace.
The smell is toasty Carmel malt.

The taste follows, Very good slightly sweet and toasty.

The mouthfeel is good better then medium body and great carbonation quite refreshing.

The drinkability is top of the line a great drinking style done to perfection. Prosit, MK

4.38/5  rDev +19.7%

Served on Tap at most establishments in town this time of year.

Appearance: Pours a coppery-orange with little head. Head dissipates quickly into a very thin lacing.

Smell: A slight hint of caramel and a tiny bit of spice. Not a very fragrant brew.

Taste: very malty and a tad sweet. Sometimes i swear i can taste pumpkin spice.

Mouthfeel: very smooth with a medium-body. Doesn't leave a residue in your mouth once consumed.

Drinkability: Most of Sam Adams is over-rated in my opinion. In a city of excellent German-style Märzen, SA Octoberfest is still possibly my favorite. Great if you're in the mood to taste 1 beer, and also excellent if you're looking to toss several back.

Serving type: Pint Glass

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a brew I really look forward to enjoying while it's in season. though I have tasted this product in years preceding, this years (2009) variation is especially excellent!
Beautiful and abundant creamy malts brimming with hints of marshmallow and nougat and a touch of hop character to keep it honest. Deep amber in color and always rewarding you with the perfect mocha colored head along with generous lacing.
Though most stores are sold out by this time of the year, (mid-November) there is a small "ethnic" store a few towns away that has an ample cache of this stuff. Needless to say, each time I "SCHHWINGGG" through, I pick up a sixer'.. I think they should have enough to last for me till the "drink before" date in March...
And No.... I aint' tellin" ;-)

4.38/5  rDev +19.7%

A: Poured from bottle to glass, a beautiful dark reddish brown, with two fingers of beautiful cream/off white head.

S: Malt, and lots of it, there are some subtle herb, or hop aromas in the background

T: Sweet upfront, then a bit toffee and biscuit flavor, and finally a bit of hop bitterness to close it out nicely.

M: A nice medium body, not over the top and too heavy, but far from light, so yeah I'll say medium body.

O: I love this beer, it's big a malty brew, with just enough hops to balance it all out. It's no wonder Sam Adams has been producing this every year since 1989.

4.38/5  rDev +19.7%

This beer should be sold year round, but I do enjoy the treat during the autumn. Its limited availability is part of why this beer remains a hot commodity. My initial pour developed a medium-sized head. It was a light tan, but it dissipated quickly and did not leave any lacing on the glass. I was disappointed with that aspect of the beverage. The color however, was awesome. A slightly burnt amber represents the season very well and it was a beautiful welcome to the beverage.

The aroma was good, possibly because I knew what to expect. If I tried to be objective, the smell is not great, but still good. Octoberfest is lightly carbonated, producing a good mouthfeel, but it was not as smooth as it could have been. While drinking the beer, it is difficult to tell the alcohol content, but after a couple of glasses, it become prevalent. This is one of my favorite beers and I am sad to see its season come to an end.

4.37/5  rDev +19.4%

Underrated, as all Sam Adams beers are on BA, success breeds contempt. Deep, copper/orange, thick head which dissipated too quickly, had to ding it for that, malty, malty, malty, light on the hops, but just enough to keep the sweetness at bay,once again SA succeeds in creating great beer when a taste that is accessible to many, not by compromising, but with SUBTLETY, remember that word? smooth, full mouthfeel, beautiful lacing as I finished. A sweeter, less hopped Boston lager if I may simplify. A winner.

4.37/5  rDev +19.4%

poured into a standard pint glass...

appears ruby red..nice cream colored head, good lacing..

smell is quite nice..malty, sweet,bready.subtle hop aroma...very appealing..

taste is..sweet..malty sweet..gentle hop flavor..slight bitter finish..smooth(hey it is a lager)

mouthfeel is great..smooth like the style..light to medium body..very appealing and drinkable..

I must admit..I am biased to this particular brew..it has been one of my favorites for many years..I have had alot of martzens..this is one of my favorite..

4.36/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This was the second octoberfest beer I have had the pleasure of tasting this season.

Pours into a dark amber color and has a nice head that leaves no lace down the sides of the glass. Has a malty, toffee smell. Goes down very smooth and you can taste the malt and toffee tones. Is a excellent beer to drink on a hot day. Drinkability is awesome and it is easy to drink 4-5 of these at a sitting.

Would highly recommend this beer to anyone. Is not available for very long and is often hard to find. Stock up when you can.

4.35/5  rDev +18.9%

A > Really nice Amber with some lighter orange i swear. Nice stubby head cream colored

S> Not a heck of a smell until to put it in your mouth

T > Very nice taste lots of fall flavor. Light notes of cinnamon some citric..but those are really light

M > Awesome clean drink slight linger but doesnt foul like some other Sam does

O > Awesome beer, easy drinking and great flavor. I look forward to it every year. The only Sam i really like.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)