1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

Sampled on 8-24-07

Pours a crystal clear amber with a huge off-white head that sits on the top forever.

Smell is thin and actually quite harsh, almost adjuncty.

Taste is good, very malty with hints of smoke and leaves, with a hoppy bite to balance some of it out. Finish is sweet and creamy.

Mouthfeel is good, creaminess adds to the flavor.

Drinkability is good, but the sweetness could build up.

Overall, a very subtle beer. The flavors are not in your face, and can be easily missed. Still, a good fall session beer.

BMoney575, Aug 27, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

A- a clear, orange/ amber liquid. It almost seems to glow a little bit. A great, slightly off-white head that retains for quite some time. Good rising streams of carbonation.

S- Sweet, malty, brown sugar, bready. Nothing astounding here, but its not bad in any way.

T- Malty with some brown sugar. Clean and crisp. Definitely makes me think of fall. It does have a certain Sam Adams-ness to it.

M- Clean and crisp. Sweet, but not cloying. Dry enough to keep you coming back for more.

D- A little sweet, but this is great on a little cooler day. I enjoyed this much more this year that I did last year.

david131, Aug 27, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Got this bottle from my brother in law..this was good. Poured the very amber/coppery colored beer aggresively into a mug with a three finger head that was very pillowy, with tight small bubbles that took a little while to receed and left a good sticky lace throught the glass. The smell had notes of caramel and fruits (figs maybe) and a touch of honey. The taste was wonderful this had a mellow fruity, sweet malt taste with just a bite of hops to balance the whole thing out. The mouthfeel was good, perhaps possibly could have used a tad more carbonation but overall excellent. Drinkability...well let's just say I wished I had gotten more than just the one bottle from my brother in law..we'll be having a private Oktoberfest at my house this year and this will be one of the brews on hand

meechum, Aug 27, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

Very impressive beer. While it's not as sweet as a true Octoberfest, this is perfect for the American palate.

A= Beautiful. Golden brown intermingled with a lighter reddish brown. Terrific head and nice lacing.

S=Very pleasant fruity scent.

T= I would like a little more of the syrupy sweetness (if the beer had more of a flavor like its scent it would be just about perfect). It's still excellent. Hops are present but are not overpowering. Finally, a balanced beer.

M/D= Thicker than I expected, which was a nice surprise. It's a sipping beer, but you could put away a couple easily.

bcgoldtoe, Aug 25, 2007
2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

Ah autumn and the return of the Oktoberfest beers! This Sam's smells quite malty but not of much else. Poured into a glass it has a tremedous head that stands up like a champ. Color is orange-bronze like the turning of the leaves. (but not on the palm trees). Taste is sweet with hints of caramel and fruit. Hopping is very subdued. Carbonation is good. Smooth and sweet but not much of a backbone. A little too sweet for my palate but would go great with spicy shrimp on the barbi.

mooseisloose, Aug 25, 2007
3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

Edit 9-24-09 Based on this years offering, I'm dedycting for smell, MF & drinkability ,5. This is don't buy for me until I start hearing good thinks about it, sucked on tap too...

BBD of Feb 08, sampled in my free Sam Adams Glass

Pours amber/copper with 2+ fingers of sand colored head. Above average head retention & average lacing

S: Fruitty & cereal notes

T: Some caramel, dryness & a little bit of husky grains up front. Herbal & metallic hops as this warms. Finishes grainy, alittle fruitty, with hints of honey malt

MF: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinks so-so, not really impressed with this year's offering

russpowell, Aug 24, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -12.8%

Sometimes Sam has this characteristic in their beer that just trips my trigger. This slight dryness going on. This one didn't have it. No lasting head nor any lace. ok typical octoberfest color. ditto body. ok beer, nothing remarkable. ok finish. Let's go guys!

drpimento, Aug 24, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

As usual, Sam Adams continues to impress me. I feel that they may be one of the most overall consistently good breweries in America. They don't have a bad beer in their very exstensive line. The Octoberfest did not look very impressive, but that was the only fault I found with it. It has a malty, rich taste and goes down incredibly smooth.

BDIMike, Aug 23, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +31.6%

This is probably my favorite of all brews and I look forward to it's return every year (and just as I was starting to drop a few pounds!) Poured a very nice clear golden amber with a 1/2 head that lasted quite a while. Light lacing that clings throughout the drink.
Medium mouthfeel with nice carbonation, leaves a clean taste with just a hint of the spices.
Very light spice smell with a touch of hops.
For me this is a great session beer and if you haven't tried it you're missing out!

JDK, Aug 22, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

A- Very attractive translucent red-orange with about a half inch of head.

S- Tons of sweet, bready malt hits the nose along with a touch of spiciness from the hops and a metallic twinge.

T- More malt, this time with a toasty character. Starts out sweet but finishes fairly dry and a little bitter (although there is a bit of residual sweetness). Solid, malt-forward taste.

M- Nice, smooth medium body. Not heavily carbonated, which suits this beer.

D- Easy drinking all the way. Perhaps a little high in alcohol to be considered a session beer, but it's still pretty damn quaffable.

I was actually pretty impressed with this beer. Although I haven't had too many Marzens or Oktoberfests, this ranks up there with the few that I have had. It's just a good beer, plain and simple. Recommended, especially if you're a fan of malty beers.

vtfan77, Aug 21, 2007
3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

This Marzen pours a rusty amber color, moderate carbonation drifts to shrinking foamy head. Splotchy lace. Smell is faint caramel malt and bread. Taste is more of the sweet toasted caramel malts. A hint of fruit. A faint hop balance keeps it from being a malt bomb. Still very sweet. Mouthfeel is full and some what chewy. Finishes clean enough. A drinkable offering.

crayphish, Aug 20, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

A- Very dark amber, Short lasting head, little to no lacing
S- Little berry almost wine like aroma
T- Slightly sweet, notes of caramel, good malt flavor towards end
M- Light almost dry, Slight bitterness. Very pleasant over all
D- Not too heavy or filling and at 5.4% ABV not too over powering

In all very good example of this style, I find myself looking forward too it's release each year.

GLD, Aug 15, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from bottle an amber color with little head. A little too shy on the hops for me, but still very drinkable. On the verge of being sweet. This one grows on you as you drink it. Lightly carbonated and very malty. I would drink it again. I'm not a big Marzen guy but this was pretty good.

biggmike, Jul 29, 2007

Had a bottle of this not too long ago. Definitely a beer I enjoy to drink around autumn, so it was a nice reminder of crisp, cool autumn days.

Good looking beer. Pours a molten copper color with fair head retention.

Strong malted barley smells. Almost intoxicating. Mild hop presence also.

Good tasting beer. Smooth and easy to drink. Roasted, almost chocolate-like taste of malt with a tad bit of hoppiness. Reminds me of being outside raking leaves in October/November.

Great session beer and really indicative of the season/style it represents. Maltiness will warm the soul on a crisp autumn day.

Bamabrew22, Apr 17, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

I always save 1 or 2 bottles of my Oktoberfest beers for this time of year. It's a good excuse to clean out my beer fridge too.

Pours a reddish/orange with a slight white head.

It smells of spices and malt.

It tastes a bit spicy, not my favorite in the style but ok just the same.

It leaves a creamy spiced taste on the tongue.

I can drink quite a few of these and it's usually one of the first of the style to come around in my area.

JoeyBeerBelly, Mar 28, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +21.3%

Picked up this bottle as part of a microbrew sampler pack @ Cost Plus World Market, Eugene, OR. Freshness date is Feb07, so im drinking this about a month past it's best by.

Pours an absolutely beautiful clear ruby/copper color. Slightly off white head. Fairly decent head retention. Very heavily carbonated. Has a very malty smell with a bit of yeast, Smooth, slightly thick mouthfeel. It's awfully hard to pick out specific tastes, it's a very well balanced beer. Very easy to drink, but it would probably be alot better if it was fresher.

BigJTrucker, Mar 27, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

Picked up a sixer at AJ's for $7.49 at the end of October. Best before March 2007.

Beer poured a reddish amber color with a decent head initially. Nose is pretty malty without any other discernable qualities. Taste is a blast of malts with a finishing touch of German hops. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth and goes down easy. Drinkability is good. For a number of years now this beer has found its way into my football tailgates and will continue to do so in the future!

arizcards, Mar 17, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +30.2%

I remember drinking this at the airport Max and Erma's. After drinking a tall glass of it, i immediately became hooked on it. When i got back from Europe, the first thing i did was pick up a six pack of this and nearly drank the whole thing in 2 days. The appearance had a nice dark orange hue to it. The smell had a presence of caramel. Taste is amazing, i could drink 5 of these in one sitting if possible. This is definitely a beer i can get along with. cheers jim! :)

gameat10, Mar 16, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearance: Nice medium amber color. Much darker than I was expecting. Small head that disapated quickly.

Smell: Hops, caramel, malt. More like fresh baked bread. Very nice.

Taste: Deep malty character. A little bit of hops and sweetness that was well balanced. Lots of good flavor for the style but not overpowering. No bitterness at all. Very drinkable. Light mouthfeel. Definately the best Oktoberfest beer Ive had. Much more flavor than most but not so much as to put it in another category.

nriech, Feb 26, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +28.1%

Appearance - Reddish copper color, little bit of head and some nice lacing.

Smell - Sweet and toasty malt smell.

Taste - Nice clean taste, sweet malt taste.

Mouthfeel - Sweet, malty, crisp.

Drinkability - I love this beer, it is what Octoberfest is about, good beer. Held on to a few of these from last year.Last one :(

auxiliary, Feb 23, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Got this last October and haven't gotten around to it until recently. I've had this in past years, but I wanted to see if this year's batch would be any different. That turned out to be the case, as this beer didn't have the smell or taste of other Octoberfests that I've enjoyed. Nevertheless, Boston Brewing did a find job with this and I thoroughly enjoyed this brew!

This beer poured a nice deep-orange amber with a slight amount of head, and no lacing down the side of my glass. In past years, I remember this being spicy and having hints of vanilla and cinnamon in it. This year, that wasn't true at all. It reminded me a lot more of their Double Bock than anything else I've drank in recent months. A very strong malted roastiness was this brew's hallmark, with lots of chocolate backing it up. The ABV seems like it should be much more than 5.70%, as it can be easily tasted here and the lack of hops and carbonation makes it that much easier to discern. It's the middle of winter now, but this seems to go perfectly with the weather outside and it's doing a nice job of warming me up!

There isn't a whole lot of depth to this, but I still enjoyed it and am glad that I gave it try to see how it held up to it's previous incarntions in year's past. I'm sure the Winter and White Ale's will also be different this year, but that's what makes microbrews so enjoyable to me. This one is no exception!

JerzDevl2000, Feb 08, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

A: Pours a deep coppery color

S: Sweet and a hint of spices/pumpkin

T: I liked the taste from the get go. Smooth and flavorful with a hint of carmel and reminds me of thanksgiving.

M: crisp and well balanced for a seasonal brew.

D: Very pleasing and a great seasonal brew! I look forward to this every season and recommend an earlier release than waiting until it is towards it's end of shelf life. But I recommend that on all beers!

I like this better than most seasonal offerings with the exception of Shipyards pumpkin head. enjoy!

Homebrew63, Feb 01, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -3.8%

I have to say that I probably drank this after it had hit its peak, although it was still before the consume by date on the bottle. Anyway...

A: Pours a very nice deep amber with a thick billowy head

S: Not too much going on here, just some sweet malt aromas

T: Starts of very malty, as expected, then becomes slightly astringent, with a biscuity undertone.

M: Mouthfeel is solid, clean and crisp.

D: A very drinkable O'fest, not too challenging but plenty of taste.

I have to say this ain't a bad example of the style-I've had worse, ones that were way to astringent, so I'm pleased that such an available beer is a solid choice.

andrewmartin, Jan 19, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

The color of this beer was very attractive to me that dark amber color looked nice in a big 22 oz. glass. The taste was malty and sweet but not too sweet. The finish was greatwhich left your mouth with the malty flavor and craving for more; i also found myself enjoying hte beer more as it got warmer and warmer. I alos enjoyed the smell which was a warm roasted malt that i could almost taste wiht one smell

JoEBoBpr, Dec 23, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

I first had it in a 6-pack and it was disappointing. I then had it on tap and it was an entirely different beer. First of all, the color was incredible. Second, you could really taste the combo of the four different malts that they use. Very good throughout. The best was the finish, which had a nice honey aspect. It was also very smooth throughout. An enjoyable fall seasonal, but I have yet to try a lot of fall seasonals. This is probably middle of the pack. Give it a shot no doubt.

Gatch, Dec 12, 2006
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)