Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,056 | Hads: 6,984
4.1/5  rDev +12%

Appearance - Poured into my SA Octoberfest mug with a deep bronze/copper color. A nice finger of fluffy white head that dissipates somewhat fast but leaves great looking lacing on the side of my glass. This beer just looks good!

Smell - Not overly complex but delightful - malt, caramel, spices, a bit of toffee lingering in the air.

Taste - Roasty malts, biscuty, toffee, caramel...as it slides over my tongue it reminds me of cooler fall days and "easier" times...

Mouthfeel - Nice and creamy (medium body), smooth, highly carbonated so that it almost "pricks" the tongue but oh so enjoyable.

Drinkability - Very drinkable. This was the first beer that got me into craft beer. I remember just wandering into my local grocery store and seeing it and thinking "what the heck...it is the season" so I grabbed it. I enjoyed it so much it has lead me to this site, and many, many other amazing beers. Obviously not the best beer out there but extremely enjoyable nonetheless. Cheers for SA Octoberfest!

4.1/5  rDev +12%

This poured a coppery orange color into my pint glass with an off-white head that left some nice lacing on my glass.

This has a more pronounced smell than some of the brews that I have been drinking lately. It smells bready and somewhat floral.

Ah, the taste. This is a malty treat. Some biscuit and caramel malt flavor with a kiss of hops to help balance all the malts. Tasty! Nice medium mouthfeel. I can drink a few of these. This is going well with my pizza tonight.

This is my favorite Samuel Adams Seasonal and the only one I actually look forward to drinking at the end of summer each year. I admit that I have only tasted a few Octoberfest beers but I really like this one.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy copper with two fingers of fluffy foam that settles down to about a finger or a half a finger for a while.

Smell: Caramel and biscuit malt, very sweet with a slight tingle of hops in the nose towards the end.

Taste: Very sweet caramel and bready malt. Love the biscuity malt here, very tasty.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and creamy.

Drinkability: Hands down my favorite American Octoberfest. Say what you will about Sam Adams, but this is my favorite beer of theirs year after year. I definitely drink my share while it's in season.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

A-Pours an reddish orange hue with a one finger white head.

S-Smells mostly of toast and caramel malt. A bit of spicy hop aroma.

T-Much like the smell, it tastes of caramel and toasty malt. Finishes with a nice, crisp, slightly bitter finish.

M-Very well carbonated, and you feel the prickly nature of this on the tongue.

D-It would be very easy to drink a few of these in a night. For whatever reason I had not been impressed this year by the SA Octoberfest. I decided with my last one to give it a fair go on a clean palate and it did the trick. This is the beer I remember!

4.1/5  rDev +12%

This is one of my favorite selections by Sam Adams. To me, this is their best seasonal by far. Lots of bready flavor highlighted by the caramel notes in the taste. To me, this is a great version of an Octoberfest, worthy of a try, particularly with a hearty meal on a fall night.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Pours a beautiful orange-amber color with a tan, two finger high, long lasting head. Smells of caramel with a nice balance of fragrant hops. Mouthfeel is full-bodied and rich, with caramel and hops aromas translating to the taste. There’s also nice hint of spice as well. This is quite a quaffable brew, and one I will look forward to tasting season after season.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

This is a shocker I have never reviewed the Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Well I guess no time like the present. The brew has the color of slightly dull copper with a nice sized head that is light tan in color with small bubbles that cling to the sides of the glass leaving a nice amount of lacing. This beer has a strong roasted malt scent, which highlights caramel and toasted aromas. The taste of this brew is very good which makes it easy drinking. While others will feel that this brew is unexciting, I find it to be a good version of a Marzen beer with is consistence and flavors. The taste is very malty which gives it a bread/dough like flavor mixed with a toasted like flavor. I do not pick up much of a clear hop presence meaning that I think things are fairly balanced out for this beer. The brew finishes relatively dry while having a fairly creamy feel through out. IMO this is a very good brew, flavors are good, freshness is there based on it being as seasonal and it really is an easy drinking sesional beverage.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Look forward to this beer--makes the end of Summer more bearable. Tried this season's both on draft and bottle and was pleased with it's annual consistency--very authenic Oktoberfest. Poured a medium copper color with a nice white foamy head, delivered lots of flavor--mostly malty, light caramel and somewhat dry on the finish. Some Oct. Fest beers are a little more hoppy, but this one is very tasty and pleasing. Acts as a wonderful transition beer from Summer to Winter.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

A good Sam Adams that captures the style is is going for quite well.

A- Dark red-orange-brown that looks like the color most leaves change to in Autumn. Very clear

S- Smell is of caramel and sweet rolls

T- Taste is like the smell but the hops become noticeable with a bitter citrus pinch on the tongue

M- Feel is light with a slight feel of syrup.

D- Drinks real well with a relaxed flavor and light body

12oz bottle

The new American standard for Octoberfest has arrived for the 2009 season.

A: Deep red-amber color with a thin head that doesn't leave much lacing. Beautiful clarity to the beer.

S: Light caramel malts with a slightly roasted scent. Sweet and bready, with almost no discernable hops presence.

T: Sweet and bready, a little caramel as the smell would suggest. Hops are present in the taste and provide a nice balance.

M: Medium bodied with a very smooth finish. Almost no aftertaste.

D: As drinkable of a marzen as you'll find on the market.

While Samuel Adams often gets downgraded by a lot of beer geeks and gurus for being little more than a nice stepping stone between mainstream beer and craft beer, the fact is, they're as big as they are for a reason. They are experts in lagers and the Marzen is likely their best lagered offering. I usually try 10 or 15 Oktoberfest beers each year, but the Sam O-fest provides an excellent standard to match up to, and really should be appreciated for the excellent beer that it is.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Beer pours with a nice big head after a hard pour. Nice lacing left clinging to the sides of the glass as well.
Reddish orange in color, with many quickly rising bubbles.
Smell of strong malt, malt and malt. Notes of caramel seem to be detected. Bread come to mind as well.
Taste is big on malt, not quite balanced with hops. Just a malt bomb taking off. Really has a caramel finish on the palate.Good, full, slick mouthfeel.
Very good beer.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Ah, the beer that started it all. This was the very first seasonal I got into. I was, and still am, attracted to the history of European, and specifically German, culture and brewing traditions. This one was always there. Easy to find, easy to drink and a good representation of the style it set out to honor. I credit this beer with starting my love for all other beers. This review is long over due.

Pulled out of a Sam Adams fall sampler case and poured into my New Glarus pilsner.
A- An updated label has this beer looking better than ever. A nice autumnal orange colored beer with superb clarity. A big white head forms and leaves lovely lacing.

S- A nondescript aroma wafts through out the immediate vicinity of this beer. Getting a little closer I am surprised that the smell isnt stronger, given that I can pick up hits floating around the room. I can still pick out lots of smooth maltiness and spicy hop additions. A nice caramel base is under a fresh citrus and spicy hop bouquet.

T- Very extremely balanced. Big on malts. Peaty, caramelly, and nutty. Delicate notes of lemon-lime, tangerine, and floral hops ride over top.

D- It barely gets drinkable than this. Back when I discovered this beer I would have no problems putting away a 6 pack while everyone else sucked down their Natty at a homecoming party or something. Im glad this beer is back.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Got this last October and haven't gotten around to it until recently. I've had this in past years, but I wanted to see if this year's batch would be any different. That turned out to be the case, as this beer didn't have the smell or taste of other Octoberfests that I've enjoyed. Nevertheless, Boston Brewing did a find job with this and I thoroughly enjoyed this brew!

This beer poured a nice deep-orange amber with a slight amount of head, and no lacing down the side of my glass. In past years, I remember this being spicy and having hints of vanilla and cinnamon in it. This year, that wasn't true at all. It reminded me a lot more of their Double Bock than anything else I've drank in recent months. A very strong malted roastiness was this brew's hallmark, with lots of chocolate backing it up. The ABV seems like it should be much more than 5.70%, as it can be easily tasted here and the lack of hops and carbonation makes it that much easier to discern. It's the middle of winter now, but this seems to go perfectly with the weather outside and it's doing a nice job of warming me up!

There isn't a whole lot of depth to this, but I still enjoyed it and am glad that I gave it try to see how it held up to it's previous incarntions in year's past. I'm sure the Winter and White Ale's will also be different this year, but that's what makes microbrews so enjoyable to me. This one is no exception!

4.1/5  rDev +12%

a: This was an orange tinted chestnut brown color. It was served to me with a small fizzy cap.

s: Lightly toasty sweet caramel with mild leafy hops. Clean overall and very appealing.

t: Malt forward and delicious. Delicately sweet and lightly toasty with very subtle hints of fruit. There is an appropriately moderate noble hop bitterness at the end.

m: Fizzy carbonation and a crisp body suit the style just fine.

o: I don't go for fest beers all that much, but I thought this was an excellent example of the style.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

I'v been waiting for this to show up at the beer store all month. Last year it came in stock early and i could'nt beleive my eyes. Anyway, I got impatient today and drove an hour roundtrip to get.

Pours a rich brown but not to dark with a descent head that disappears quickly.

Smell is what I'v been waiting for all summer..lots of yeast, bread, toffee. YUM smells like fall is just around the corner.

Taste is similar to the smells with a good amount of carbonation and the alcohol is right up front. Finish is clean and crisp.

The guys at SA worked hard on this one...this is my favorite beer from them and I look forward to it every year.Hopefully they start getting it in around here next week.Cheers.

A - Dark Amberish Brown Nice ivory head that stays for a while
S - Sweet spicy malt with a spicy hop present
T - spicy hops; malty. You can taste the lager yeast but it is very flavorful which is expected for a Samuel Adams. Tastes almost like graham crackers with spicy hops
M - medium everything
D - very drinkable, probably the best session beer

4.11/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Clear, bronze color body with a thin, off-white head. Retention is awful. No lacing. Carbonation is very light.

Crisp and to the point... Sweet caramel malts! A slight nuttiness is aloft.

Again - crisp and to the point. This beer is simple and isn't afraid to be just that. Tasty roasted caramel up front with a zesty, earthy hop presence at the end. The flavors are bold and begging for your attention!

Refreshing! Medium-body with way more carbonation than the eye will lead you to believe. Clean finish. Beautifully balanced.

Second to only Millstream's Octoberfest, Samuel Adams has a fantastic product on their hands with their Octoberfest. Incredibly easy to drink and well balanced, there is always room in my fridge for this.

4.11/5  rDev +12.3%

On tap, pint glass.

A - Almost as good as a beer can look. Rich, clear brown body with a tan 1-2 finger head. Very inviting.

S - If there's a weak point for this beer, I guess it has to be this. Not that it's bad, just nothing special - Malty and earthy, very typical of Octoberfest brews.

T - Solid malt profile, very rich but not overpowering. Very subtle alcohol content lets you really taste this brew. Small amount of hops simply to balance the malt, and a very earthy finish. Aftertaste isn't great, but isn't strong either - think 'brown ale,' and that's it. If you can 'taste' fall, this is it.

M - Solid throughout, this one hangs around for a bit after you drink it. Nothing bitter or heavy about it though, just a nice nutty/oak finish, much like a brown ale.

D - Again, can't tell the alcohol content with this one. Nothing keeping you from drinking this beer all afternoon - it's fine alone and can be paired with almost anything - chips, burgers, steaks, chicken - you name it, it'll work.

The best of the seasonal brews from Mr. Adams, by far.

4.12/5  rDev +12.6%

This beer is a nice amber color and has a nice fat head that leaves lots of sticky lace. It has tons of toasty malt aromas and no hops. Not in the aroma anyway... The taste is heavy on the malt, but with maybe a tad bit too much hops in the finish. Not the best marzen/octoberfest that I have tried, but it is decent and I buy it when it is available.

4.12/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance: Nut brown with a hint of ruby. Decent carbonation. Smallish head that settled to a thin ring. Spotty lacing.

Smell: Malt-heavy, with a nice sweetness with a nice dark earthiness. Hops take a back seat, with the slightest greenness present. Some nice fruity notes giving way to a hint of grain at the end.

Taste: More sweet malts, with a nice crispy roastiness to the bier. Carbonation bites the tongue, but settles into creamy, mouth-filling goodness. Hops squeeze the cheeks and tongue in the end, and lend a certain freshness to the finish.

Notes: Not a bad O'fest, and much better as it warms. If memory serves me, the draft (last year, at least) was significantly more impressive than the bottled version.

4.12/5  rDev +12.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a clear orange-red color with a thick, foamy off-white head.

Smell: Has a nice aroma of grains, spices, oranges, and malt. Very nice and balanced.

Taste: The beer has a nicely balanced and somewhat complex taste of grains, hops, toasted malts, hops, spices, and fruits (such as oranges). Aftertaste is mostly the oranges and hops.

Mouthfeel: Mostly smooth and medium-bodied; has a bit of chewyness to the texture. Mild carbonation.

Drinkability: Moderate ABV and the smoothness and flavor make this a rather drinkable beer.

Overall a nice Oktoberfest beer with a good flavor and nice smell. Flavor seems a bit low in the malt department, though. Considering how available this is, it's certainly something to try. I'm sure I'll get this a few more times while it's in season.

4.12/5  rDev +12.6%

A - Amber with a slight dark hue with a head thats promising at first but dissipates rather quickly...

S - caramel and hazelnut are the main distinguishing smells.

T - tastes of malt, roasted and dry, with a fruitiness to it.

M - not too heavy and smooth with a light carbonation...

O - Despite having an Octoberfest in February, I can safely say that Im enjoying it. A cold night beer. I was expecting a heavier taste and mouthfeel but it has a nice balance of both to make it enjoyable. The foamy head was kinda dissapointing but the flavor really makes up for it and Im relieved when I get closer to the bottom of the glass...It could be old to which that might be why the head looses its body early but that really doesnt matter at this point. Overall, I like it and will having more in the near future, regardless of month.

12oz longneck
A) Pours with a finger thick head. Clear body, copper in color. Thin sticky lacing on the drink down.
S) Caramel. Toffee. Nutty. Subtle apple notes.
T) Munich malts - caramel, toffee. Nutty. Bready. Hints of tree fruit. Subtle hops in the finish.
M) Fizzy. Medium body. Dry and Chalky in the finish.
O) A well craft Octoberfest. I will always drink one of these.

4.13/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a crystal clear amber color with a very thick off white colored heading.Leaves very good lacing all throughout.

Smell is all malt. Toasted malts hit's you at first followed by a sweeter caramel aroma that finishes it off.

Taste again very malty with a slight sugary kiss on the lips.A perfect ending of hops that balances this maltiness perfectly.

Mouthis very smooth and bubbley.Slick on the tongue and leaves a slight sting on the tongue of the noble hops used.

Drinkability for me is great. I love this time of year because this is one of my heavy favorites from Sam Adams and I wish I could get this more often.

4.13/5  rDev +12.8%

Appearance: a nice dark tan...almost an orange hue to it. Darker offwhite head that pours out nice and forms a thick layer that stays on top and forms nice lacing.

Smell: a sweet hop smell is first thing I notice followed by a clean and delicious smelling malt.

Taste: I really like the taste of this beer. It is maltier than it smells. The hops are not very bitter and tastes a little citrus like.

Mouthfeel: very good and refreshing. medium body. It is just meaty enough to feel like a real beer while staying refreshing and easily drinkable. I could drink this all day.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)