Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,072 | Hads: 7,106
4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

I enjoyed this beer poured from a bottle into a Nodic Glass. The beer poured with a rich amber hue with a thick off-white head. The beer smells of the complex mixture of malts. There is a bit of a harsh quality at first taste, but then the aftertaste has a slight hops spiciness and a defined complex sweetness that is really refreshing. Octoberfest has a lot of carbonation and you definitely feel it on the tongue. I could see myself drinking this beer very often in autumn.

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

Pumpkins and octoberfest! I love fall

A- a perfect copper and amber look. A fantastic head of foam. To me, the brew screams fall is here

S- caramel and malt blended together. A real blend of earthy tones compliment the strength of the malt. Nice!

T- a light robust malt fest of delicious caramel and the same scented malt. A hearty theme that really highlights the change of seasons

M- creamy and smooth

D- I am not the biggest sam fan... However, this is a very delicious brew from them. It's very safe to say that I can drink 15 of these. Great brew!

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

Deep amber color, clear. Good amount of carbonation rising. Small frothy head.

Deep maltiness, toasted, semi-sweet, slight spicy and herbal.

Lots of malt character, bready, toasted, brown bread, nutty. Hop bitterness is mild, herbal/spicy. Finish is mostly dry. Medium bodied, smooth, easy drinking, nice carbonation.

It's very good Oktoberfest.

Poured From Tap at Local Bar

Appearance: Pours a beautiful amber color, a similar appearance to the Boston Lager but a little darker, nice lacing around the glass which seemed to stick to it as I drank more.

Smell: Those sweet spices are definetley here. I can definetley smell caramel and bready hops, almost a butterscotch scent in the florals, great smell!

Taste: Starts like any Sam Adams until the beautiful taste kicks in, taste is very smooth and robust, not edgy and not weak, a perfect blend of spices make this Octoberfest stand out from the rest.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth, almost to a cream consistency but it isn't.

Drinkability: Still to date one of the best Octobers around, hasn't changed in years and why should it? This beer gets more appealing each autumn, other breweries should take notes, Sam Adams is the one to beat this fall.

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

Orange with a light tan head in a Sam Adams super-special glass. It is a pretty beer. I especially like how tightly packed the head is.

Smells faintly of hops and of malt. It's all faint, but nice. It smells like it will be smooth.

And boom goes the dynamite. This is a really smooth and mellow beer. Its slightly bitter from the first, but it mellows out as it coats the mouth.

Mouthfeel, as usual for Sam, is excellent. It's creamy and full-bodied with a pleasant aftertaste and nothing harsh. The carbonation is so perfect, it almost feels like a nitro draft.

I'm very happy with this. It may be passe at this point to sing the praises of the Boston Brewing Company, but I'm going to do it anyway: this is one of the beat Oktoberfests I've ever had.

4.09/5  rDev +11.7%

One of my favorite things about Boston in the fall is this beer. It mixes perfectly with the layers of red and orange and brown that carry through the air, with a taste full of spice (lots of cinnamon and nutmeg and pumpkin). Should be served a little bit warmer than one might be used to, just to evoke the harvest flavors.

Color's a nice golden tan with a nose that betrays the somewhat syrupy sweetness that follows up the first wave of taste.

Overall, Sam does a good job capturing Boston's fall in a bottle. Now, I'd prefer something like Smuttynose Pumpkin or Ipswich Harvest, but it's a very workable fall brew.

4.09/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a reddish-brown but clear with a good, brown/white carbonated head. Has a sweet, malty smell that is not overpowering and a bit of hops. Taste was very well balance, primarily malty sweetness with cereal grains and a slight hop. Good texture, on the thin side but light and smooth. Not a heavy beer, so more than a couple is okay and it is very enjoyable.

4.09/5  rDev +11.7%

Love it around autumn time . Gets me in the mood for fall and the holidays. Nice Amber color and good taste. Definitely a go to beer at that time of year. Nostalgic for me

4.09/5  rDev +11.7%

Deep copper in color. Pretty good head retention. Sparse lacing. Malt, fruit, and hop notes in the aroma. Floral hop contribution. Toffee and some dried, ripened fruit.

Loads of caramel-ish malt with just the right amount of bitterness to balance things out. Picks up some breadiness/graininess on the back end. Maybe I never noticed or paid attention to such things before, but more recent vintages have picked up some nice fruity, estery notes not unlike a strong English bitter. This and the skillful hopping separate this from the pack of bland, one-dimensional examples of the style. Carbonation is nice, not at all harsh. Very pleasant to drink.

Marzen is a style I cut my craft beer teeth on, and Sam's is still among my favorite domestic 'fests. Like Boston Lager, this is a very underappreciated yet excellent and widely available brew.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Appearance – Nice, light orange body with a big head that held on long and laced the glass.

Smell – Lightly toasted malt in accordance with the style.

Taste – Smooth, creamy, lightly burnt malt flavor. There’s a little caramel touch at the end, but mostly just the smooth, easy, malt taste. Excellent rendition of the style.

Mouthfeel – No carbonation and very creamy.

Drinkability – This went down quickly, which is the telltale sign of a good Oktoberfest beer. When I lived in Germany, I used to drink these warm on tap (the bartender would warm it with a heated tool dunked in the beer specifically for that purpose), and they would often go down after just three or four gulps. I wasn’t trying to chug the mug, but they were just that smooth.

Comments – I drank this at room temperature, and it was very reminiscent of the Oktoberfest beers that I had in Germany. Excellent example of the style.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Orange gold color pour, hoppy slightly citrus aroma, nice round malty citrus spicey taste. Sam Adams always seems to pack in a nice full bold flavor. The taste stayed full and bold to the very end. Sam Adams is truely one of the treasures of the world brewing market.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Crystal clear golden orange color with tight thin white head. Short lived with just a little lace.

Aroma is malty and spicy. Clean lager yeast.

Flavor is pleasant and easy drinking as most of the oktoberfest style tend to be. Malty and sweet, a bit of warm spice like cinnamon and clove.

Crisp clean mouthfeel, medium-light body, moderately carbonated.

Overall a solid example of the style. I think that is something that can be said of just about all of Samuel Adams beers which I think is pretty impressive.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Update from previous review: It's been 5 years since I first reviewed this beer. I've had it now and again, without issue, but I'm not so happy with this year's batch. I've had it several times and it just doesn't sit right. It's darker with more caramel notes, the hops lack character (probably just an actual hop crop issue), and the bitterness is seemingly a touch high. I see how it fits within the "Oktoberfest/Märzen" style, but with the addition of more caramel character it doesn't even suggest Munich malts, it just seems like an amber lager to me. On to my previous review...

Sam Adam's always delivers, so when I went to pick up an Octoberfest (OKtoberfest with a K is actually trademarked in Germany, so kudos to Sammy for the "C") this year I naturally gravitated towards them. Some of the O'fests from Germany have been getting weaker and weaker and more watered down over the years. Hell, some of them are gold in color!

It has a great appearance with a clear, orange and gold accented copper that just 'looks like fall'. It's got great head retention and it leaves some very nice lacing behind.

The nose is clean and fresh with some delicate, caramelish and toasty malt.

The flavor offers all of the soft, bready, and lightly toasty malt that you'd expect with a touch of tea-like and mildly floral hops to lend it some character. The bitterness is present but unassuming; and it finishes fairly short and dry. More importantly, it's remarkably clean, fresh tasting, and superbly balanced.

The mouthfeel is smooth and silky with a medium body and restrained, moderate carbonation that help to accentuate its malt.

It's refined. It has finesse. It's remarkably drinkable. There are other, more fully flavored fests out there, but I'm not sure any of them have quite the same quaffability that Sammy offers. Prost!

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Appearance - Poured into my SA Octoberfest mug with a deep bronze/copper color. A nice finger of fluffy white head that dissipates somewhat fast but leaves great looking lacing on the side of my glass. This beer just looks good!

Smell - Not overly complex but delightful - malt, caramel, spices, a bit of toffee lingering in the air.

Taste - Roasty malts, biscuty, toffee, caramel...as it slides over my tongue it reminds me of cooler fall days and "easier" times...

Mouthfeel - Nice and creamy (medium body), smooth, highly carbonated so that it almost "pricks" the tongue but oh so enjoyable.

Drinkability - Very drinkable. This was the first beer that got me into craft beer. I remember just wandering into my local grocery store and seeing it and thinking "what the heck...it is the season" so I grabbed it. I enjoyed it so much it has lead me to this site, and many, many other amazing beers. Obviously not the best beer out there but extremely enjoyable nonetheless. Cheers for SA Octoberfest!

4.1/5  rDev +12%

This poured a coppery orange color into my pint glass with an off-white head that left some nice lacing on my glass.

This has a more pronounced smell than some of the brews that I have been drinking lately. It smells bready and somewhat floral.

Ah, the taste. This is a malty treat. Some biscuit and caramel malt flavor with a kiss of hops to help balance all the malts. Tasty! Nice medium mouthfeel. I can drink a few of these. This is going well with my pizza tonight.

This is my favorite Samuel Adams Seasonal and the only one I actually look forward to drinking at the end of summer each year. I admit that I have only tasted a few Octoberfest beers but I really like this one.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy copper with two fingers of fluffy foam that settles down to about a finger or a half a finger for a while.

Smell: Caramel and biscuit malt, very sweet with a slight tingle of hops in the nose towards the end.

Taste: Very sweet caramel and bready malt. Love the biscuity malt here, very tasty.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and creamy.

Drinkability: Hands down my favorite American Octoberfest. Say what you will about Sam Adams, but this is my favorite beer of theirs year after year. I definitely drink my share while it's in season.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

A-Pours an reddish orange hue with a one finger white head.

S-Smells mostly of toast and caramel malt. A bit of spicy hop aroma.

T-Much like the smell, it tastes of caramel and toasty malt. Finishes with a nice, crisp, slightly bitter finish.

M-Very well carbonated, and you feel the prickly nature of this on the tongue.

D-It would be very easy to drink a few of these in a night. For whatever reason I had not been impressed this year by the SA Octoberfest. I decided with my last one to give it a fair go on a clean palate and it did the trick. This is the beer I remember!

4.1/5  rDev +12%

This is one of my favorite selections by Sam Adams. To me, this is their best seasonal by far. Lots of bready flavor highlighted by the caramel notes in the taste. To me, this is a great version of an Octoberfest, worthy of a try, particularly with a hearty meal on a fall night.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Pours a beautiful orange-amber color with a tan, two finger high, long lasting head. Smells of caramel with a nice balance of fragrant hops. Mouthfeel is full-bodied and rich, with caramel and hops aromas translating to the taste. There’s also nice hint of spice as well. This is quite a quaffable brew, and one I will look forward to tasting season after season.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

This is a shocker I have never reviewed the Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Well I guess no time like the present. The brew has the color of slightly dull copper with a nice sized head that is light tan in color with small bubbles that cling to the sides of the glass leaving a nice amount of lacing. This beer has a strong roasted malt scent, which highlights caramel and toasted aromas. The taste of this brew is very good which makes it easy drinking. While others will feel that this brew is unexciting, I find it to be a good version of a Marzen beer with is consistence and flavors. The taste is very malty which gives it a bread/dough like flavor mixed with a toasted like flavor. I do not pick up much of a clear hop presence meaning that I think things are fairly balanced out for this beer. The brew finishes relatively dry while having a fairly creamy feel through out. IMO this is a very good brew, flavors are good, freshness is there based on it being as seasonal and it really is an easy drinking sesional beverage.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Look forward to this beer--makes the end of Summer more bearable. Tried this season's both on draft and bottle and was pleased with it's annual consistency--very authenic Oktoberfest. Poured a medium copper color with a nice white foamy head, delivered lots of flavor--mostly malty, light caramel and somewhat dry on the finish. Some Oct. Fest beers are a little more hoppy, but this one is very tasty and pleasing. Acts as a wonderful transition beer from Summer to Winter.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

A good Sam Adams that captures the style is is going for quite well.

A- Dark red-orange-brown that looks like the color most leaves change to in Autumn. Very clear

S- Smell is of caramel and sweet rolls

T- Taste is like the smell but the hops become noticeable with a bitter citrus pinch on the tongue

M- Feel is light with a slight feel of syrup.

D- Drinks real well with a relaxed flavor and light body

12oz bottle

The new American standard for Octoberfest has arrived for the 2009 season.

A: Deep red-amber color with a thin head that doesn't leave much lacing. Beautiful clarity to the beer.

S: Light caramel malts with a slightly roasted scent. Sweet and bready, with almost no discernable hops presence.

T: Sweet and bready, a little caramel as the smell would suggest. Hops are present in the taste and provide a nice balance.

M: Medium bodied with a very smooth finish. Almost no aftertaste.

D: As drinkable of a marzen as you'll find on the market.

While Samuel Adams often gets downgraded by a lot of beer geeks and gurus for being little more than a nice stepping stone between mainstream beer and craft beer, the fact is, they're as big as they are for a reason. They are experts in lagers and the Marzen is likely their best lagered offering. I usually try 10 or 15 Oktoberfest beers each year, but the Sam O-fest provides an excellent standard to match up to, and really should be appreciated for the excellent beer that it is.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Beer pours with a nice big head after a hard pour. Nice lacing left clinging to the sides of the glass as well.
Reddish orange in color, with many quickly rising bubbles.
Smell of strong malt, malt and malt. Notes of caramel seem to be detected. Bread come to mind as well.
Taste is big on malt, not quite balanced with hops. Just a malt bomb taking off. Really has a caramel finish on the palate.Good, full, slick mouthfeel.
Very good beer.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Ah, the beer that started it all. This was the very first seasonal I got into. I was, and still am, attracted to the history of European, and specifically German, culture and brewing traditions. This one was always there. Easy to find, easy to drink and a good representation of the style it set out to honor. I credit this beer with starting my love for all other beers. This review is long over due.

Pulled out of a Sam Adams fall sampler case and poured into my New Glarus pilsner.
A- An updated label has this beer looking better than ever. A nice autumnal orange colored beer with superb clarity. A big white head forms and leaves lovely lacing.

S- A nondescript aroma wafts through out the immediate vicinity of this beer. Getting a little closer I am surprised that the smell isnt stronger, given that I can pick up hits floating around the room. I can still pick out lots of smooth maltiness and spicy hop additions. A nice caramel base is under a fresh citrus and spicy hop bouquet.

T- Very extremely balanced. Big on malts. Peaty, caramelly, and nutty. Delicate notes of lemon-lime, tangerine, and floral hops ride over top.

D- It barely gets drinkable than this. Back when I discovered this beer I would have no problems putting away a 6 pack while everyone else sucked down their Natty at a homecoming party or something. Im glad this beer is back.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)