Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
View: Beers (128) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
smartassboiler

04-09-2012 20:31:59 | More by smartassboiler
Salud24

09-29-2013 21:14:56 | More by Salud24
TobinMitnick

01-30-2012 21:42:05 | More by TobinMitnick
crenegar

Regardless of everything else the problem here is the HUGE diacetyl presence. Had a sixtel of this on at my house for about 2 weeks and really tried to get around it but could not. returned it for a keg of Ramstein O'fest and this is much better. A friend had the smae issue and the 2 places in the area I tried it on tap it was the same way. Not nearly as noticeable in bottles. Question is...is this lack of quality control at certain brewing sites? I believe they are brewing in the Lehigh Valley now at the old Rolling Rock place but not sure. This is the second year in a row where the diacetly presence has been overwhelming, a shame because this used to be one of my favorite seasonals from them.

10-21-2009 18:38:28 | More by crenegar
TheLongBeachBum

Lots of blurb, advertising and fanfare; So I bought some to try.
Oh No, what a huge, bitter disappointment - if you can pardon the pun.

A massive foaming head that at one point threatened Mug-Mutiny. But it laced the glass well, and had an inviting look. Aromas are… Where are the aromas?????? Hmmm… (Deep Sniff). Poured a clear looking, deep Amber-Reddish Color, that again, looked very good, no complaints there. Still, No Aroma though (Deeper Sniff) … I’m trying. Initial taste is of a sickly sweetish, bee… nah - fluid. Weird. What the heck is this supposed to be?, its not like any Märzen/Oktoberfest I have had before. I get some hops in the middle but not many, perhaps just one. Where the hell is that Aroma?? (Snorting the Beer now!!) - Nope still can’t find it. Very lightweight mouth feel, that disappears almost instantaneously. Some cloyiness in the residual tastes, more annoying than pleasurable.
Is this an Oktoberfest LITE ???????

My friends in England, would say of this beer that, “It is all mouth, and no trousers”.
Mediocre or, perhaps, I just do not “understand” this beer??!??? I don’t know. But I do know I don't like it.

Promises, but just does not deliver for me. It will NOT be purchased again!!.

10-16-2002 20:41:07 | More by TheLongBeachBum

01-21-2012 20:56:58 | More by MammothTarantula
Dweedlebug

08-12-2012 05:12:21 | More by Dweedlebug
MaximalC

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours transparent copper in color with a modest off-white head. Aroma smells of grassy, slightly skunky hops and some caramel. Tastes much like it smells, but worse. A funky hop stank presents up front, asserting itself through excessive carbonation. The malt aspect tastes less like caramel and more like raw sugar--quite offputting. The finish is a heavy does of wheat must. The sensation is kind of like what I would expect if I buried my head in a box of cheerios and inhaled deeply--less than appetizing. Finally the wheaty vapors subside and the process repeats itself with the next sip (sip being the operative word here).

I'm not confident I would have picked this out as an oktoberfest in a blind tasting, but then again I'm not a big fan of oktoberfests, so maybe I might have. Suffice it to say this brew has next to nothing going for it, coming off more like a beefed up light macrobrew than an homage to German brewing tradition. Not quite as bad as Sam Adam's chocolate bock, but pretty close.

11-02-2012 02:30:16 | More by MaximalC
Ranz

09-23-2012 23:16:15 | More by Ranz
pubscout

2.05/5  rDev -44.1%

SA O-fest is one beer I look forward to every year. This year's version, however, can be charitably described as mediocre. No significant nose,very flat taste and an unusual watery mouthfeel made me sorry I bought a whole case. Very disappointed in what is customarily a dead-on example of a superb beer style. Not this year, however. It will go into the sauerkraut and brats preparations.

09-05-2011 12:00:18 | More by pubscout
hikix

2.08/5  rDev -43.3%

I was not impressed by this beer at all. Unfortunately, the beer distributor was closed so I had to go to 7/11. I saw sams octoberfest and decided it was the most appealing beer in the fridge so I thought I would give it a shot.

It smells like a bud light and doesn't taste much different. The taste is flat, bitter, and just does not go down well. It is tasteless to tell the truth. I guess I am becoming a beer snob because this beer is straight up bmc to me now. I had a sierra nevada before this and the SN was leaps and bounds ahead of this. It is just not tasty, it is dry and leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't like this beer and wouldn't buy it again.

09-03-2011 04:46:57 | More by hikix
MmmIPA

2.1/5  rDev -42.8%

Clear amber body with a thick white head that stayed there for a while.Nice lacing.This is where the beer goes downhill for me.

Malt and thats it.

Malt and more malt and more malt,not much hop flavor.This beer is entirely too sweet.

Watery mouthful and very sweet.

i wouldnt have this beer again and dont reccommend it to anyone.The sweetness killed it for me.

09-09-2007 15:36:25 | More by MmmIPA
RhinoDBJ

2.13/5  rDev -42%

I'll preface my comments by saying I don't consider myself an expert in any kind of specific beer, but I do feel that I'm developing a more "qualified" eval of certain types (probably 'cause I like them the most!) ... and the Oktoberfest is up on the top of those beers I think I know.

The Sam Adams is a totally "un-rememberable" brew. The nose is underwhelming, and the taste and mouth feel don't help the first impressions at all.

I'll not be bringing any of these home...

08-31-2013 22:26:15 | More by RhinoDBJ
cokes

2.15/5  rDev -41.4%

Dull amber color. Doesn't seem to sparkle like a nice lager should. Slow but steady carbonation. Foamy off-white head did not retain well.
Odd smelling. Fake malt sweetness. Notes of adjuncts (corn) and some godawful spice I can't seem to place.
Taste is equally uninspired. Onslaught of cloying psuedo-malt sweetness. Toffee coated adjuncts. This is what I'd expect Miller's Oktoberfest to taste like. Corn-filled, fake, cheap and abysmal. An ugly blast of grain alcohol seals the finish on this one.
My least favorite o-fest to date. Actually, one of the least favorite beers I have had in a while.

09-06-2002 10:56:57 | More by cokes
FeDUBBELFIST

2.15/5  rDev -41.4%

Bottle to pint glass.

A: A half finger of foamy head with average retention, between off-white and light brown in color. The body is clear and a bright, medium value copper. An abundance of fast paced interior bubbles maintain the lingering film. Spare lacing.

S: Aside from toasted grain, there is very little to appreciate on the nose.

T: Almost lacking flavor altogether. Malt sweetness up front with light fruity undertones. The flavor falls off of a cliff mid-palate, likely due to the aggressive carbonation.

M: Medium body. The texture is creamy as the beer passes through your lips, just before the excessive carbonation prickles the tongue. Moderately dry on the finish. This beer becomes mildly cloying towards the bottom of the glass when the liveliness of the carbonation has worn itself out.

D: One of BBC's more uninspired brews. Not enjoyable to drink.

12-30-2010 15:33:51 | More by FeDUBBELFIST
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)