Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros

Am I the only one that seems to think this beer has gone down hill over the last two years? It's just always tasking skunky now, not good.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours transparent copper in color with a modest off-white head. Aroma smells of grassy, slightly skunky hops and some caramel. Tastes much like it smells, but worse. A funky hop stank presents up front, asserting itself through excessive carbonation. The malt aspect tastes less like caramel and more like raw sugar--quite offputting. The finish is a heavy does of wheat must. The sensation is kind of like what I would expect if I buried my head in a box of cheerios and inhaled deeply--less than appetizing. Finally the wheaty vapors subside and the process repeats itself with the next sip (sip being the operative word here).

I'm not confident I would have picked this out as an oktoberfest in a blind tasting, but then again I'm not a big fan of oktoberfests, so maybe I might have. Suffice it to say this brew has next to nothing going for it, coming off more like a beefed up light macrobrew than an homage to German brewing tradition. Not quite as bad as Sam Adam's chocolate bock, but pretty close.

I'm surprised at just how uninteresting this beer is. It smells like bread dough from yesterday, and tastes like it too. Just very bland with a metallic aftertaste. Poured from a bottle into a glass. The color and body are okay, but overall this just a step up from your average cornerstone macro, nothing special.

Maybe I just got a bad bottle but I don't see what the big deal is here. I'd try another in case I want to change my review, but I don't really want to spend money on another one of these when Sam Adams makes other brews that I actually like.

2.05/5  rDev -44.1%

SA O-fest is one beer I look forward to every year. This year's version, however, can be charitably described as mediocre. No significant nose,very flat taste and an unusual watery mouthfeel made me sorry I bought a whole case. Very disappointed in what is customarily a dead-on example of a superb beer style. Not this year, however. It will go into the sauerkraut and brats preparations.

2.08/5  rDev -43.3%

2.08/5  rDev -43.3%

I was not impressed by this beer at all. Unfortunately, the beer distributor was closed so I had to go to 7/11. I saw sams octoberfest and decided it was the most appealing beer in the fridge so I thought I would give it a shot.

It smells like a bud light and doesn't taste much different. The taste is flat, bitter, and just does not go down well. It is tasteless to tell the truth. I guess I am becoming a beer snob because this beer is straight up bmc to me now. I had a sierra nevada before this and the SN was leaps and bounds ahead of this. It is just not tasty, it is dry and leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't like this beer and wouldn't buy it again.

2.1/5  rDev -42.8%

Clear amber body with a thick white head that stayed there for a while.Nice lacing.This is where the beer goes downhill for me.

Malt and thats it.

Malt and more malt and more malt,not much hop flavor.This beer is entirely too sweet.

Watery mouthful and very sweet.

i wouldnt have this beer again and dont reccommend it to anyone.The sweetness killed it for me.

2.13/5  rDev -42%

I'll preface my comments by saying I don't consider myself an expert in any kind of specific beer, but I do feel that I'm developing a more "qualified" eval of certain types (probably 'cause I like them the most!) ... and the Oktoberfest is up on the top of those beers I think I know.

The Sam Adams is a totally "un-rememberable" brew. The nose is underwhelming, and the taste and mouth feel don't help the first impressions at all.

I'll not be bringing any of these home...

2.15/5  rDev -41.4%

Dull amber color. Doesn't seem to sparkle like a nice lager should. Slow but steady carbonation. Foamy off-white head did not retain well.
Odd smelling. Fake malt sweetness. Notes of adjuncts (corn) and some godawful spice I can't seem to place.
Taste is equally uninspired. Onslaught of cloying psuedo-malt sweetness. Toffee coated adjuncts. This is what I'd expect Miller's Oktoberfest to taste like. Corn-filled, fake, cheap and abysmal. An ugly blast of grain alcohol seals the finish on this one.
My least favorite o-fest to date. Actually, one of the least favorite beers I have had in a while.

2.15/5  rDev -41.4%

Bottle to pint glass.

A: A half finger of foamy head with average retention, between off-white and light brown in color. The body is clear and a bright, medium value copper. An abundance of fast paced interior bubbles maintain the lingering film. Spare lacing.

S: Aside from toasted grain, there is very little to appreciate on the nose.

T: Almost lacking flavor altogether. Malt sweetness up front with light fruity undertones. The flavor falls off of a cliff mid-palate, likely due to the aggressive carbonation.

M: Medium body. The texture is creamy as the beer passes through your lips, just before the excessive carbonation prickles the tongue. Moderately dry on the finish. This beer becomes mildly cloying towards the bottom of the glass when the liveliness of the carbonation has worn itself out.

D: One of BBC's more uninspired brews. Not enjoyable to drink.

2.17/5  rDev -40.9%

Had on tap numerous times and usually pours 12 oz bottle into pint glass. Going against the tide on this one as there are many Oktoberfests that I hold in such high regard especially the German made ones. Oktoberfests are designed for drinkability and this beer is not even close to that important category. Pours clear dark copper with small off white head. Sweet malty aroma with mild hoppiness. Sweet flavors of toffee, caramel and bread with a slight hop bitterness. Medium body with verage carbonation. Metallic aftertaste which is a turnoff.

2.2/5  rDev -40.1%

App:Perfect apricot and copper color. Head quickly leaves, retention is nothing, lacing is nothing.

Nose: Very faint malt.

Taste: Solid Sam Adams style mouthfeel, coppery and crisp, dry and slightly chemical. Sweet at the end.

Notes: I was excited to get this on tap. I was let down after the first glass. People look forward to this beer. I am interested to see how the rating changes this season.

2.2/5  rDev -40.1%

I am baffled reading the reviews of this one... and wondering if I got an off 6 pack. The beer is great to look at... translucent amber / ruby with a thin, lacy head... but in all other respects was very unimpressive. Somewhat malty in flavor and aroma, with very noticeable medicinal (almost like maraschino cherries) overtones that almost make the beer undrinkable. Some hops bitterness in the finish as well, which is kind of out of character for the style. Pretty thin, with medium to high carbonation. This is one that I have really enjoyed in the past, but if it's supposed to taste the way this 6-er does, I won't be drinking it anymore.

2.24/5  rDev -39%

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)