Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,698 | Reviews: 2,061
2.68/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Orange/amber color with about an inch of fluffy white head. Nose contains almost nothing. Only some slight malty bitterness. Light on flavor with some caramel sweetness. A lot of carbonation. Flavor and finish are lacking with only some caramel notes and only a carbonation tingle for the finish. Thin and almost bland on the malt flavors.

Had on-tap at TGIF

A: Typical Octoberfest appearance. Pretty much a golden,bronzed orange color with a thin off white head. Larger sized bubbles that don't hang around too long.

S: A few different aromas come through. All very light with none outshadowing another. Toasted caramel. A bit nutty and spicy as well. Not overwhelming.

T: Toasty and grainy. An underlying sweetness brings it all together.

M: Pretty much on the thin side. Not watery but not far from it. Carbonation seems fine.

Overall: Oktoberfest lagers aren't typically my cup of tea but there are better offerings out there then this one for sure. My favorite being Victory Festbier.

2.68/5  rDev -27%

Dark amber color. Not much carbination. The smell is mild malty not much hop smell at all. Malty tast but very medium. Not too impressed with this beer at all. Better than the boston lager though in my opinion. But very simple flavors and quite borring.

2.68/5  rDev -27%

A = Amber - brown in color, something like iced tea. Small white head doesn't last long. No lacing.

S = Not much at all in the nose. Some bready notes. A musty smell as well. Hints of malt.

T = Weak malt profile. Sort of bland with a little unpleasant aftertaste. Not much to like here.

M = No complaints about the mouth. Somewhere in the middle.

D = Meh, drinkable in that it's not horrible and there's little alcohol. But not something I'd seek out.

2.69/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Its Just not that good

2.7/5  rDev -26.4%

I was not as impressed with this Octoberfest that I thought that I was going to be. It did not have anything that really stood out to me. The beer was good overall, but did not have anything that hit me hard. To me, it didn't have any charateristics that were different from the norm. I probibly had too high of expectations. It had some of the basic octoberfest characteristics, basically tasting like an average medium lager. I had a high quality of ingredient traits, but it just didn't seem like the ingredient portfolio was very diverse. Just kind of small for a craft ocotberfest in my opinion.

2.71/5  rDev -26.2%

Hmmm, not as good as I remebered. Maybe my palate has gotten a little picky over the past year, but there's something a little off with this beer. It basically just tasted like a sweetened lager. A small nutty character, but a way-too-present metalic taste that really just isn't doing it for me. Maybe I'm wrong but this just seems like a half-assed beer from a generally solid company.

2.71/5  rDev -26.2%

Dark amber with quickly fading offwhite head.Initial malty taste that finishes dry ,bitter and a little mediciney.I noted caramel in the aroma and taste which is a minus for this style.As a dark lager maybe , but as an Oktoberfest?.. not quite.I like the new label.

2.71/5  rDev -26.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark, almost murky brown. Not much head or lacing to speak of.

S: Doesn't smell like much, there's a faint aroma that I think smells a bit like corn, but it's very subtle.

T: It doesn't taste bad, but it's not a remarkable taste either. Bitter aftertaste.

M: Robust and full. Average carbonation.

O: Got this beer as part of a seasonal sampler. I don't think I'd seek it out to buy on its own, but I don't think I'd refuse it if someone were to offer me one again. I could take this beer or leave it, really. There are better Octoberfests to be had.

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

Got this on clearance in February. This was actually a decent beer. It tastes malty and hoppy, and was a little lighter than regular Samuel Adams. There are floral tones to this, almost lemony? Very spritzy in the carbonation dept. Full bodied and tasty all the way around. From what I understand, SA changes the brew from year to year. I will try it again this winter.

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

12 Oz. Bottle. Malty slight hint of cardboard (Oxidation?) Below average for the style. Decent mouthfeel, but nothing there of any positive taste. Not one of Sams best. I'm now sorry I got a case of this stuff.... It looks alot better than it tasted.

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

Ah autumn and the return of the Oktoberfest beers! This Sam's smells quite malty but not of much else. Poured into a glass it has a tremedous head that stands up like a champ. Color is orange-bronze like the turning of the leaves. (but not on the palm trees). Taste is sweet with hints of caramel and fruit. Hopping is very subdued. Carbonation is good. Smooth and sweet but not much of a backbone. A little too sweet for my palate but would go great with spicy shrimp on the barbi.

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

Poured a dark amber with a thick, fluffy white head. Smells lager-ish with perhaps some hints of citrus. Tastes pretty much how it smells which leaves a little something to be desired. Body seems about right, but the flavor is pretty lacking. Much preferred the summer seasonal to this one, even though I generally like darker brews more.

2.74/5  rDev -25.3%

This beer conjures images of being at the pumpkin patch on a hayride.Poured with all but a band of bubbly foam left in the glass. Smells like sweet burnt caramel with a sprinkling of brown sugar, looks like watery faux maple syrup. Overly sweet, yet, the beer is quite smooth with a brown sugar hit at the end.

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

Appearance - poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. 2 finger off white head died off very quickly. Color is an enticing red/orange, just how you would picture a fall leaf.

Smell - no particular smell really pops out at me. Smell alcohol, some earthy smells. Grass, dirt...haha.

Taste - really not that impressed. I enjoyed Great Lakes and Yuenglings offerings far better.

Mouthfeel - a bit watery.

Overall - a pretty average Sam Adams offering as well as a pretty average Octoberfest offering.

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

served on-tap in a shaker glass.

clear reddish amber in color, no head whatsoever. very little aroma, just a little bit of malt.

taste is of slightly sweet malt, a little bready. but pretty boring. mouthfeel is fine, thin to medium body and a medium to high level of carbonation.

overall it's not bad, just nothing special, and nothing stands out.

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

Pours a very nice dark gold with a good head with ok lacing. nothing special. pretty good i find but it could use some work. tastes like some sweet brown sugar and caramel and some bitter tastes but im not sure what it is. The two flavors definitely conflict. Im not a huge fan and it drinks kinda heavy.
meh. i was definitely expecting better.

2.76/5  rDev -24.8%

A- poured a clear copper amber with 1 1/2in fizzy active off white head that settled quickly to 1/8in soapy ring with minimal lace. tiny bubbles rise from the bottom.

S- smells cloying and artificially sweet like splenda, mellow burnt citrus, woody, toasted malt, grains

T- sweet tart malt, some slight out of place fruitiness, artificial sweetener, roasted caramel malt, diluted coffee, fresh wood, earth, almost no hop presence, watery sweet aftertaste of grass and dead leaves.

MF- like a thin syrup with medium carb, it feels almost too sweet to drink and makes my stomach say "no".

D- refreshing and light feeling if you're very thirsty. if i wanted something this sweet i would drink soda. heavily balanced on the malt side, i'd rather have a great lakes oktoberfest instead.

***2008 edit***
this years batch is considerably better than 2007. malt is toastier and less cloying, earthier more pronounced hops put things in balance. worthy of a new review somewhere near a B+.

2.76/5  rDev -24.8%

Appearance: a good copper-red coloring that i'd expect from an Oktoberfest. Some head on the edges and over the surface of the beer.

Smell: this smells like a thick, full bodied beer. I can also smell the alcohol. A certain maltiness/hops is also noticed when i smell the beer. This doesn't smell particularly appealing.

Taste: Not so much the full bodied taste that i was expecting after smelling the beer. Also a strong taste of alcohol is definitely felt when sipping the beer. Malty bitter taste, w/ alcohol on the end. I don't taste a full bodied flavor thats supposed to be in a Oktoberfest, and I don't really enjoy this particular beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, and the thickness is perfect. I really like the mouthfeel of this beer. There is some dryness which is to be expected w/ this beer style.

Overall: this beer looks the part and feels the part. But i don't taste the full bodied flavor that i was expecting from a Samuel Adams brew. The smell itself is what i'd expect from this type of beer, but doesn't appear to me. Taste just brings it down.

2.78/5  rDev -24.3%

To make it short and sweet, this one passed my test for an enjoyable amber/dark/red lager. I am crossed up on how to rate this beer....quite good as it stands on its own but as it ranks among my favorite Oktoberfests (marzen), it would be near the bottom. After making a cross comparison with Paulaner (one of my personal favorites for the style), SA wasn't close.

2.78/5  rDev -24.3%

A nice orange color contrasts well with a light tan head. The nose and flavor and both a bi tlighter than I would like to see in this style. There are some toasty malts with some spicy candy. The body is also fairly light and doesn nothing to help the beer. A decent drinker, bu nothing special.

2.8/5  rDev -23.7%

had this on my bro's boat the other day and just found my notes on it.

A- poured a slight golden /amber color with a thick lacing head.

S- malty with a hint of a orange twist??

T- nothing to special here. tasted a watery malt with just the slightest bit of a caramel taste.

M- light bodied. medium/ high carbonation.

D- i had to rate the drinkability the highest cuz it just reminds me of a light beer flavored water.

Overall- i was expecting alil more from sammy on this one. i remember liking this one when i first started getting into microbrews. tonight i got 4 different oktoberfest's to try. so far if you haven't tried harpoon's i highly recommend it.

2.8/5  rDev -23.7%

What happend to this beer? Im reviewing this in the fall of 08 and im very upset. This was one of my favorite beers for years. Ive had it about 5 times this year and discussed this with other fans and we agree the recipe has changed. As recent as last fall the lable had a comment something about being malty with "hints of caramel and toffee". Well I dont know what happend but those hints but they ar gone from the label and the bottle. This beer is moderatly full tasting in the mouth and very hoppy. This beer leaves a bat taste in my mouth and stomach. The previous version was 4.5's across the board. I cant even drink this anymore. I can only hope next year its better.

2.81/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured a copper color with an average head that dissapated quickly leaving good lacing around the glass.

The smell was rather disapointing for an Octoberfest and seemed somewhat bland with slight hops and malt evident with a spicy tinge.

The taste was adequate. Caramely and malty with a hint of alcohol and spice, but a little too sweet. Aftertaste reveals a spicy yet piney taste that lingers for a moment then dies.

The mouth was rather smooth leaving a warm sensation in the throat and on the tip of the tongue, possibly due to the decent amount of carbonation.

As far as drinkability, there are others that I would reccomend first. The spicy nature overwhelms the tastebuds and may need to be toned down before I would drink it regularly.

2.81/5  rDev -23.4%

I'm a big fan or fall time spiced beers, but the 2 bottles had last night didn't do alot for me. It poured a gorgeous amber color and had a nice frothy head for a few minutes, but my particular beer had an overwhelming pumpkin scent. I like pumpkin smelling beer, but this smelled a little too pumpkin-earthy for me - it almost smelled like bad pumpkins (after Halloween and stinky).

It was decent, but I won't be running to pick up another six pack. At best, I would consider it "avergage", but I was a little disappointed overall.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)