Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros

I've had about six draughts of these in the last week. Here goes:

A: Very nice head. Beer also has an amber color and is see-through. The only problem is that there's practically no lacing. Suppose that's because it's a Sam Adams. 3.75/5.00

S: Quite good. Bubblegum, banana and clove from wheat malt. Also some caramel from the barley. 4/5

T: Taste follows the nose except it's slightly more robust. Lots of bubblegum, clove and banana with a warm and toasty caramel background. Perhaps that could've added more hops, but I'm not complaining. 4.25/5.00

M: A little on the lighter side - almost like an American adjunct lager. Most bocks have a richer feel than this. 3.5/5.0

O: A solid brew. Has some drawbacks but is still good. 4/5

2009 vintage; scores 4/4/3.5/3/3
2010: 4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5/4.0
I've averaged these for my overall rating of the beer.

12 oz bottle (2009) into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a clear, deep ruby-amber body with good carbonation topped by a finger and a half of sticky off-white foam; decent retention and good lace. Nice but unremarkable looking beer.

S: Rich, grainy malt, with a hint of spice on the finish; smooth, crisp, and refreshing aroma.

T: All malt, much sweeter than the nose; caramel up front, followed by a mellow toastiness and a crisp, dry finish. Not bad at all, but nothing exciting.

M: Medium bodied, a little sharp with the carbonation. A little sticky.

D: I miss hops; even in a malt-forward style like a Marzen, I look for at least a subtle hop profile to keep things balanced. My mouth feels coated with grain, and I know that another sip won't remedy the situation. I'm not craving another one of these (but I suppose a couple more wouldn't kill me).

Notes: I still haven't found an O-fest that I really love (unless you count Avery's Kaiser, but that's a different animal entirely), and this one continues to be one of my favorites - it's tasty and relatively inoffensive. Still, this isn't a seasonal that I get excited about.

Cheers!

Edit: Update for the 2010 iteration.

This year's Sam Octoberfest is considerably better than I remember it being last time around. The malts are dryer and nuttier, there's a distinct German hop presence, and the the mouthfeel is far smoother and better-carbonated. It's an all-around better beer: 4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5/4.0

A - A beautiful dark copper color, perfect for the season. A nice tan had that lingers for a while and some nice lacing, most likely due to the sweetness.

S - Caramel, malty, a hint of hops. Not too strong though.

T - Malt dominates the flavor profile. Its starts with a heavy malt taste, then you can taste the hops closer to the finish although there aren't a ton. A little harsh on the finish but sweet throughout and overall very good.

M - Medium and smooth, I like it.

D - This is my fall beer. I love to try new Marzens, especially from other local brewers but I always keep falling back on this. I find it to be very drinkable, it's a medium bodied beer that doesn't fill me up too fast.

From the bottle it pours a brilliant amber with impressive clarity. Head froths up nicely but doesn't have much retention; it falls to a low ring pretty quickly.

Smell is obviously malty, with a distinct sweetness and a subtle alcohol sharpness.

Tastes only slightly sweet like caramel. Toasty malt is definitely the big flavor, with a bit of nuttiness to go with it. Medium mouth feel with refreshing carbonation. The hop bitterness is subtle, but balances well with the sweetness.

Notes:
Probably my favorite of the Sam Adams seasonal brews. I look forward to this one coming every year. Makes me miss Boston, as it's much harder to find on tap in CA. Bottled just isn't the same. This is one beer which I have noticed being distinctly better served on tap.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)