Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,000 | Hads: 6,718
2.83/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is boring. Drinkable, but definitely boring. The smell is kind of weak with just a bit of a malty smell and a slight hint of spicy hops. It really does taste like a bit stronger and more bitter version of the Boston Lager. The hops have a bit of a nice spicy bite, but there isn't really much of a malt backbone (which I thought was part of the Märzen style...). I'd take a Märzhon or an Old Dominion Octoberfest over this any day. (438 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -22.4%

Samuel Adams Octoberfest. Not Oktoberfest...but Octoberfest.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured for appearance

Appearance (3.75) : Deep, rich firey amber red color with a large malty head about three fingers high. Leaves licks of lacing as it recedes at a moderate pace.

Smell (3.25) : I wish I could pinpoint this smell that seemingly all Marzens have and it's so similar to fresh/clean/chlorine water. Someone's gotta know what I'm talking about. This one is pretty strong on this, but as the head recedes I get the following : roasted caramel malt, heavy nutmeg, toasted grains. Minimal hop smell. A clean smelling beer with hints of roast and spices.

Taste (2) : Whoa. Definitely not a fan here. Artificial spice punches your face right away with loads of bitterness. It's basically a bitter soured pumpkin with traces of stale nutmeg. It's like they brewed an amber ale and then added allspice to create a harvest beer. If you drink it straight from the bottle you get a little more roasted pumpkin, but overall this is a major fail.

Mouthfeel (3) : Mouthfeel isn't too bad, it's somewhere between creamy and carbonated. Very watery though. Finishes a bit syrupy.

Overall (2.84) : I was excited to try this beer, and I'm trying to like it - I really am. But unfortunately the taste of the stale spice and the bitter sour pumpkin did it in for me. I don't know what the hype is about it, its very gross. Very mawkish and distasteful. Try some other Oktoberfests, you'll be glad you did. This is like the Bud Light of Oktoberfests. Just skip it. (1,560 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours a clear copper that is not very deep. Kind of thin looking. The head is unimpressive and quickly disappears. Leaves some lacing.

It smells of sweet malt. That is all I got.

The taste is a traditional Marzen. Sweet malt with little hop bitterness and with some very mild autumn spices. Finishes clean and crisp. Nothing spectacular and rather unimpressive as a whole. It seemed a bit watery to me and the carbonation seemed flat. I have been accustomed to solid Sam Adams offerings and this seemed to have missed the mark. Definately not my favorite Marzen or SA beer. (575 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%

Burnt copper color, transparent, about an inch of head. Retention is decent leaving a collar. Lace is thin, not much of it present.
smelling mostly of sweet caramel malt, a larger amount of breadyness and some grassy hops.

Taste is a big sourdough mess with a tinge of metallic flavors. mildly sweet upfront though, increasing in bitters with a sharp cheeder flavor and grassy hops.
Mouthfeel is thin and watery with a strong carbonation presence.

Overal its up there with the least desirable oct fests I've had. (518 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%

A: Carmel colour. Nothing special.

S: Hint of pumpkin.

T: Honestly, kinda bland compared to other Octoberfests.

MF: Average mouthfeel with a bitter aftertaste.

D: I love most of Sam's brews, but I couldn't see myself drinking this all night, even in cool weather. (267 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a cloudy dark amber color with bright orange edges and a one finger off white head that quickly settles into a thin ring. Not much in the way of lacing.

The aroma of this beer is really bland with an earthy quality along with some subtle spice but not much sweetness or malt coming through. Hints of floral, grassy pine along with some pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Very faint malt sweetness even as it warms.

Fuller bodied and more complex than I expected. The hop presence from the aroma is present up front providing faint dry bitterness which compliments the spice character. Hints of pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove linger over the sweet malt backbone into a slightly dry finish. The malt character is much stronger in the flavor than the aroma suggests with some sweet caramel and rye along with some faint pumpkin, toffee and biscuit. Decently balanced and sessionable but nothing extraordinary. (914 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -21.9%

A- Dark orange-ish/copper look. 2 finger off-white head with some lacing. Average carbonation.

S- Smelling some spices and caramel.

T- Tasting light spices, nothing to up in your face. With a little fruit sweetness. Hops are there just sweet not bitter.

M- Medium light feel. Getting the carbonation but goes down easy.

O- A good beer but not what I think a lot of people make it out to be before I ever had it. The appearance I think is the best part. The taste seems to be lacking for all its hype. But i think if your going to a party in the fall, you can't go wrong with this beer. (590 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -21.3%

Ehh. Looks and smells just like the Boston Lager, but with a little more hop sharpness. Taste is sweeter, lots of malt, with a tiny bitter finish. The bitter is more goldings than the sweeter hops in the nose. Unimpressed. I'd rather have a Paulaner Octoberfest if I'm going to have a macro. (291 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -21.3%

On tap poured into a plastic pint glass.

Pours a deep orangey color with a small white head that fades quickly. Nose is quite fruity and sweet.

This is way too fruity for an Oktoberfest for me, I like when they've got more of a biscuit flavor to them but this one is all sweet fruit. It's got a decent mouthfeel and it's easy drinking but I think it's too sweet to drink a lot of. (382 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -21.3%

After all the hype surrounding this beer, I was sorely disappointed when I got to try it at Oktoberfest Zinzinnati. I found this beer to be a very average beer and was left wondering why there was so many forum posts lauding this as the best Oktoberfest beer. Other then the color of the beer, nothing else about it would make me believe this was an Oktoberfest style beer, and I would be more apt to call it a generic dark beer. Color was a medium to dark brown with a thin head. I found the beer to seem somewhat watery and very light in terms of mouthfeel. Aroma had mild hops, and the flavor was much the same. All in all, a pretty average brew that doesn't live up to the hype. I regret to say, this was the worst beer I had at the Oktoberfest but was the one I was really looking forward to trying. It was 'OK', but nothing I would go out and buy to stock my fridge with. (877 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -21.3%

On tap at the Hyatt in Buffalo. Served in a pint glass.

A - Pale brown/orange colour. Translucent. Small amount of white head.

S - Light nose. Toasted grains with some sweetness.

T - Toasted malts, caramel. Sweet overall with a somewhat dry, sweet finish. Somewhat bland.

M - Light body. Light carbonation. (312 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -21%

Pours a nice caramel/amber color with adequate head and lacing.

Aromas are of some sweet bready malts but not much else. It's a pretty weak-smelling brew and left me wanting more. Maybe a faint hint of earthy hops but I could be making that up as well

The taste is about the same, some mild malt and a little undefined spicing, presumably from the yeast. It is a little sweet and bready in the front with a slighty hopped end

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium to high carbonation. It drinks easily enough but the carbonation left me feeling more full than a beer with such little body and flavor warranted.

Overall I am not a big fan of this style but I find this beer to be pleasant enough to have one here an there. I will never purchase this beer but it was offered to me for free so I said why not. Plenty of better examples of the style but you can definitely do worse I suppose. (898 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -21%

In the glass this beer is a brownish orange with a two finger white head that dissapates quickly. The nose is so slight...almost indetectable...perhaps a slight bit of candy-coated apple. Taste is mainly candy corn malt sweetness, there's really no toasted malt flavor like one finds in a good German marzen. Hops are appropriately in the background. Not a bad beer, but Sam's O-fest has been much richer in the past. Now it's more of a quencher...good with chili. (469 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -21%

Drank from Sam Adams glassware.

A: Amber color with orange highlights when the light hits it. Tan foamy head that went from 2-fingers to nothing in no time. Lacing doesn't stick to glass very well.

S: Very clean smell with subtle hints of roastyness. Not very impressive.

T: You can get some roasty notes, but again, it's very subtle and clean. Burnt caramel and not bitter at all.

M: Very watery, moderate carbonation.

D: High drinkability, it goes down very smooth. I'd buy this before any BMC product, it's a little better than those "lunar" series of beers. (566 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -20.8%

12oz bottle, fresh 2010 batch.

Pours clear copper amber with a one finger fizzy white head that doesn't leave much lacing but holds a solid ring and light cap.

Aroma is muted caramel and toasted malt, a little nutty and musty.

Flavor is some toasted malt, caramel, fairly sweet, something on the finish I can't quite put my finger on, medicinal is the best I can do, but whatever it is isn't very appealing. Lotta sweetness in the finish too, almost sugary.

Medium body, oily, a bit sticky, fizzy carbonation.

A little too sweet, a little too meh... (559 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours clear, mahogany with a thin head that gone as fast as it came.

Subtle carmel malt and fruit scent. Not much to talk about there.

Malty sweet with very little bitterness. A hint of warming from the alcohol, and sweet on the finish. It's gone on the swallow. No aftertaste. None.

Carbonation is fizzy. Light and crispy.

Eh. Not a bad brew, inoffensive, appealing to the masses. It'll do in a pinch. Overall, a bland offering. (441 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -20.5%

although I still get excited when i see this on shelves,it's just not as good as it used to be.i like the appearence,but the smell is not what you would find in traditional octoberfests.to me, i find all sam adams alittle too "big brewery" for me,but this octoberfest has a great after taste, very festive and fall like. (320 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -20.5%

A- clear, amber/orange/red like clean copper penny. Few bubbles of carbonation. Thin head, gone quickly.
S- very light, earth, malt. Too light. Not much there.
T- malty, earthy, initially a bit sweet but ends dry and bitter. Slight hoppiness in the middle.
M- more carbonated than it appears, dry overall, feels fuller at the start than it ends up.
Average all around. (369 characters)

Had on-tap at Casey's in Newtown Square, PA

Poured a golden orange color with a thin head and no lacing. Head pretty much dissipated immediately. Had an aroma of grains, sweet malts, yeast and spices. Tastes of grains, sweet malts, bready-ness and spices. A tiny bit of a metallic taste...not sure if maybe the tap line was messed up or if it was the brew.

I found the mouthfeel to be pretty light. Wouldn't say medium. It's a thin beer for the style. It's a good attempt, but not great. High carbonation. Very drinkable due to how thin it is. Not very complex, and while well-balanced...I found it a bit "watery" I guess. I'll have it if I have to choose between Miller Light, Bud Light and this one...otherwise, I'll probably pass. (736 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -20.5%

Bottle has freshness month five months in advance. Orange to bronze colour with a little more than a rim for a head. Smells of that carrot and tomato yet sweet malty smell which confounds people who walk too close to many large breweries. This isn't flat, but rather the bubbles are miniscule pin prick bubbles, so it feels both uncarbonated and super carbonated at the same time. Taste replicates the smell rather too accurately, although if I concentrate I can pull a little brown sugar and a hint of hop in the aftertaste.

I'm not impressed with this, but have found that Sam Adams Octoberfest varies wildly by the year. 2005 doesn't seem a good year, but who knows what 2006 will bring. (693 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -20.5%

A- pours a clear amber with a small head which recedes quickly.

S-slightly malty and cidery like liquid candy apple.

T-sweet malts, crisp apple and a caramel notes linger.

M-light to medium nice carbonation which makes it crisp.

D-drinkability is nice could have more than a few of these.

Prost!!! (302 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -20.5%

Strange taste, but drinkable.

I had this last night at a local reastaurant. It was not my first choice or second. My first choice was Mayflower IPA. My waitress regretted to inform us that they were all out of that. I ordered a Harpoon IPA and my wife ordered this on tap. She thought that there was something wrong with her beer, so I switched my superior dry, hoppy Harpoon with her Octoberfest. The Octoberfest did look better with a small head compared to none on the Harpoon and had a rich color.

I told my wife that there was a lightly burnt caramel taste. This kept the malt flavor from being sickly sweet. I also detected some added spices - a slight cinnamon taste mixed with some other spice. This taste reminded me of a winter style beer. However, after reading other reviews, I assume that flavor was from the hops - probably spicy tasting German or German style hops. I'm not a fan of Sam Adams in general or in sweet beers either. However, this beer was more drinkable than many Sam Adams beers which I have found to have a chemical taste. (1,055 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -20.2%

The beer is a wonderful clear red color that is unfortunately the highlight of this beer in my opinion. The head is rather shy and does not stick around for much longer than it takes to pour the beer into a glass.

The aroma is almost non-existent although there is a little bit of a toasted caramel aroma.

The beer tastes very clean, no esters from yeast are present. The flavor is of caramel and a slight bit of toast. Overall it leans towards the sweet side and does not clean off your pallet enough to want to take another sip right away.

Overall this beer is okay, not great. (582 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -19.9%

12 ounce bottle poured into an appropriately sized mug. The modest lacing falls a bit short of the handsome deep orange body below. Modestly sweet toffee aromas are complemented by subtle fruity, leafy and nutty notes. There's a tad more depth of flavor than the nose would suggest, although it's not as robust as I'd like. Lingering tangy toffee and mild sweetness are the closest things we have to lasting impressions here. Appropriately mild bitterness with modest leafy hop flavor and carbonation. Notions of bread crust with apple butter. A touch thickish on the palate. Quite easily drinkable, but ultimately forgettable. (627 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours out bronze/copper in color. Head is off-white with average retention. Stays around for awhile. No lacing. Nose is a bit light. Light hops with a metallic twang and some faint grainy malts. Taste is slim too. Distant hops mixed with more pronounced caramel malts this time around. Pretty simple. Not picking up any complexities at all. Mouth feel is good. Pretty smooth with clean carbonation. Not bad at all. This one just didn't do it for me. There are way better Ocotberfest style beers out there. (505 characters)

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)