Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,056 | Hads: 6,984
2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

A- brownish red with a finger of foam that remained through out. Good lacing.

S- Sweet, bread-like scent. Touch of autumn spice, cinnamon.

T- Clean beginning which quickly turns into a sugary, yeasty corn finish which lingers like that last drunk that won't leave your house after a party even though it's well past 02:30.

M- body is light and crisp which gives its initially clean encounter.

Not terrible, in fact after my first tasting, I had about 4 more but I'm not really a fan of autumn beers and am thus a bit biased. However, it's pound cake like consistency really left a bad taste in my mouth overall.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

I'm a fan of Octoberfest beers, so I wanted to try this one, and I wasn't disappointed. It's maybe a little too one-dimensional, as you taste the sweetness of the malt and the caramel more than anything else, but it's a good take on the style. I could have a few of these with some tubed meat and be pretty happy.

Meh. Not all that impressed; like most Sams this is a dumbed down version of the real deal that's marketed to the newcomer to the micro- scene. Would order it if there's no other Marzen's on tap and the month happens to be October. But otherwise, meh.

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours crystal clear dark golden with a decent white head. Pleasant smell of sweet caramel notes followed by some nuttiness. Taste follows nose with a sweet caramel/nuttiness, follow by an earthy smooth clean finish. Mouth feel is pretty smooth, medium bodied, and lightly carbonated. Overall a decent Oktoberfest for Samuel Adams with a great price tag to boot. Not a bad seasonal if you just want an easy drinking malty brew, cheers!

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Serving: fridge temp bottle poured into standard pint glass (forgot to check date on bottle)

Appearance: Dark, rich Orange with some red. moderate pour produces a 1 finger off-white head that settles down to some persistent lace. Quite a bit of lacing.

Smell: Light toasted aroma, maybe some bread. A little light.

Taste: Malty overall, a little on the sweet side and not much toastiness. Pretty clean without much complexity.

Feel: Medium-light, not very creamy. Finish is dry and does not overstay its welcome.

Overall: A solid, and dare I say it, commercial version of the Oktoberfest. There are a good number of richer and arguably more flavorful Oktoberfests out there, but at 5.3%, what do you expect? This would be a good idea to pick up as a 12 pack for a football tailgate or something along those lines since many people would find this beer agreeable and nonoffensive. While I would definitely drink this again if someone offered it, I probably would not buy it for myself.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, "best by" date January 2015.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear amber color with 1 finger off-white head that quickly dissipated until almost no head remained, there was no lacing on the glass, medium carbonation.

SMELL: sweet caramel and bread.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, initially sweet caramel and bread, then just a light kiss of hops.

PALATE: medium body and carbonation.

OVERALL: this is a good Octoberfest beer, true to the style, reasonably priced at $12.99 for a variety 12 pack. It's not my favorite style but I enjoy it during the season.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

Served cool from 12 fluid oz can into 500ml pilsner mug. I thought I could get two cans into the mug, stupid imperial measurements!

A) Amber with big white head. Lots of bubbles coming up. A lot darker than most German Oktoberfest specials.

S) Quite a heavy malt odour, attenuated by acidic carbon dioxide and metallic notes.

T) Good - malty lager is a credible attempt at the Munich style. Pleasantly mild aftertaste.

M) Quite meaty for a lager and again this follows the original German style.

O) A good American representation of the style - I understand that this is available at a cheap price in the US compared to the German imports, so fill your boots.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance: a dark and clear reddish color

Overall: One of the best fall beers. If not the best. Tastes of caramel, butterscotch, bready and light fruit taste. Malty and a little bitter. Very solid beer. Great!

honey amber with thin golden head which quickly dissipates...
light-bodied, low carbonation
light flavored, biscuity malt approach with lightly lingering raisin, but slightly souring on the finish...
the beer was too mild and thin for my taste, with not enough spicey or hoppy punch to keep it interesting and sippably longlasting...
I'll go on to the next....

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark copper,and a big foam head that disapates. The creamy tan lace retains well.
Aroma has elements of raw grain, sourdough bread, maple syrup and some floral notes.
Very malt forward taste. Mostly sweet. Bready. Sweet malt finish with a touch of hops and peppery spices. Full mouthfeel. Syrupy. Creamy.
A good autumn beer that's filling. This review was from a bottle, although, I recall having this on tap before and finding it better.

2.25/5  rDev -38.5%

This beers looks great - deep amber hue with a frothy head. The problem I have with it is the cloying sweetness. Hops are barely discernible, it's just an overwhelming toffee like sweetness with a weird apple like aftertaste. Really hard to drink more than one of these.

3.72/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look: Nice amber color with a white head. A really nice looking beer.

Smell: Toffee, bread, malt, and caramel. Nothing overpowering here.

Taste: Just the smell. Nutmeg, caramel, and malt come though.

Feel: Lighter bodied and good carbonation. Goes down extremely easy.

Overall: A timeless classic for the fall. I always make sure I have a few of these each year.

4.17/5  rDev +13.9%

Served from the bottle into a nonic glass.

A- Poured a dark and clear reddish color with a small off-white head that left no lace.

S- Big bready notes, caramel, toasted malt, grainy notes, and nutty notes.

T- Big caramel and butterscotch, bready notes, graininess, and light fruity notes.

M- Dry, medium body, soft carbonation, and smooth.

O- A really solid Oktoberfest beer with a nice flavor and aroma. Also a really good value.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance: Pours a dark translucent copper with about a finger of creamy tannish foam that reduces to a thin froth.

Aroma: You get a lot of malty aroma and a light floral fragrance.

Taste: Malty and lightly bitter with a semi-dry finish.

Mouth Feel: medium light to medium bodied with a creamy feel.

Overall: Marzen is not my favorite style as I prefer a bigger hop character but as a seasonal this is pretty good.

Got it part of the sampler pack for this year.

A - Vibrant amber-orange color that you can clearly see through. Fluffy white head that sits nice and high. Strong lacing.

S - Strong malt aroma with caramel notes. Also grainy tones with no discernible hops. Smells like an Octoberfest lager should!

T - Tastes of sweet maltiness with some grain, caramel, and lager flavor. This beer is like a traditional German lager beer but with more body and flavor. No distinct bitterness or hops but it isn't cloying.

M - Medium to light mouth-feel. Moderate carbonation. The sweetness is predominant but is still crisp on the finish which makes it very drinkable.

Overall, this is a great commercial beer that I look forward to having at least once every year. Not my favorite style or beer but it is a great session beer if your not in the mood for some hops.

Glass- Dimpled mug

3.41/5  rDev -6.8%

A good Marzen Oktoberfest, but I was a bit disappointed in this, from Samuel Adams.
I must admit, I rate my Oktoberfest's and Pumpkin Ale's in opposing methods:
for Pumpkin beers: the less intense the pumpkin and spices, the better
for Marzen beers: the more intense the experience, the better

Well balanced, with a friendly hint of spice and apples, his Oktoberfest lacked the finishing punch for me. I'll drink it again, but if you're looking for a bolder offering of this style, Great Lakes Brewing's Oktoberfest is hard to beat.

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed a pint on tap at Beer Revolution in Calgary. A dark reddish bronze with a finger or so of beige creamy head. Aroma of rich toasty malts and fresh green grapes, almost whiskey-like, sweet toffee with a light whiff of yeast. Classic o-fest, really. Body is on the thin side and the carbonation is intense, but in getting past these aspects one can find some toasted bread crust, sultana, light molasses, apples, pears, and even some faint citrus. Weighted towards the crisp, dry, and toasty, not particularly sweet, particularly in the finish. This may not have as much of the classic German malt character you get in some old world examples, but there is a solid noble hop flavor and the rich, deep flavors edge out some of the European examples in my view. Apparently it is not cool to rate this beer highly? Screw that noise. Quality is quality.

4.39/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours from the bottle a very dark amber with a thin off - white head that dissipates rapidly.

The smell is sweet, almost citrusy, with a nice toffee aroma. There is a nice toasted malt presence as well.

The taste begins with sweet notes, has a great (still a bit sweet) lightly toasted caramel flavor, and finishes with a hint of hoppiness.

The mouth feel is crisp, but full-bodied with with balanced carbonation.

Overall, this is one of my favorite interpretations of an Oktoberfest beer.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

I should start by saying I'm a big fan of the Boston Lager and drink it most nights.
I should also say that this is my first Marzen/Oktoberfest style beer.

This, to me, is just a muted version of the Boston Lager. I get that initial sweetness, caramel, toffee -- as I do from the lager -- but then I'm waiting for the complexity and bitterness at the end that I'm accustomed to...but it doesn't come.

I guess I just love the Boston Lager too much. I expected this to maybe have something that the lager doesn't, but it's not there.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

October is my favorite month as I like the fall season. A really nice time of year to sample Oktoberfest beer.
Samuel Adams has a version that pours dark amber with a head that disappears quickly.
Smell is vanilla and malt.
Taste is well balanced between hops and malt. Very slight bitterness followed immediately by sweetness.
Mouth feel is a little thickish, but not overly so.
Over all not my favorite, sort of middle of the pack. But very drinkable.

Pours a crystal clear copper/orange color with pearly white head, dissipates immediately leaving no film, looks like a glass of apple cider.

Very toasty grain smell, with some sweetness.

Malt, malt, malt on the taste, big breadiness and a hint of grain sweetness. Finishes crisp with slight hop bitterness.

Mouth feel is light and crisp, good carbonation very refreshing.

Overall, great session beer. It's good on the remaining warm days of sept/oct.

4.21/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

After 3 years of enjoying this beer, I am revising my rating. If I'm not drinking Ayinger or Paulaner, then I'm probably going for this or Free State. That should be plenty to go by for anyone who has tasted their share of Marzens out there. Drink good beer! -DelMontiac

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

BBD 1/15. Clear amber pour with a deep dark ruby hue. Excellent head, lacing and retention. Light nose of biscuit and caramel with notes of spice. Light medium body with a somewhat slick texture. Above average carbonation with a nice effervescent finish. The taste profile is reasonably balanced and complex, but has an aftertaste that is metallic. It begins with a light caramel sweetness that flows into a mild bitterness. The middle is mostly mineral in nature over a light hop spiciness. Throughout the profile is a metallic undercurrent that rises to the forefront in the finish and lingers as an off flavor. Having had this many times in the past, this version is sub par. I'll consume the rest of the 6 pack and adjust this review as warranted.

The rest of the 6 pack didn't have the metallic flaw, so I've adjusted the ratings. A good, but not outstanding, Oktoberfest.

A lot of people like this beer. I have had it several times before, but I thought I would give this one a second going over considering its in season.

Pours amber with a fair amount of head.

Caramel notes come through, sweet, not a lot going on in the aroma department. Of course do any Marzen's?

Taste: Fairly mundane, I really don't know why I keep buying these beers. They really don't have a lot going on, but I get into the whole seasonal kick of trying new styles. I personally think they are heavy lagers, (which they are) but that is what I do like about a lager, they are crisp. These are just too sweet for my personal palate. Sam is alright, I have had better but none in my opinion are outstanding beers. However, I do know people who love this style and hate the IPA's and stouts that I love.

Overall: This is an average beer. Its not a drain pour, but not really worth seeking out, if on sale or in their fall mixed 12 pack for a super deal like I got, then go for it!

3.06/5  rDev -16.4%

Draft served in Sam Adams lager glass
Aroma of malt
Head removed by bartender – what remains is white, frothy, and rapidly diminishes to 2 mm ring
Lacing poor – occasional island and reef of tiny bubbles
Body medium red-amber, clear, continual bubble generation
Flavor malty, ends slightly astringent; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3, Aroma 3.25, Flavor 3, Palate 3, Overall 3.0625

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)