Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
CharlieMopps

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

A: Copper reddish brown color when poured. Very little to show for head or its retention, as well as miniscule lace on the first few sips.

S: Somewhat rich and toasty malt aromas, which contrast with a hint of spice and sweetness.

T: Carbonation got in the way of what could be a better malt-heavy beer. The taste comes through, but mostly toward the middle-end after a light introduction. However, the toasty notes leave a more pleasant aftertaste, but begin to dull a bit.

M: Tasted a little too carbonated, which curled the tongue and hurt the immediate finish. This made it light-tasting, it seems. On tap this felt even worse, but out of the bottle it was slightly more bearable.

D: Probably good for a couple rounds, but after a while, the composition of this beer can make it tough to go through the cyclical carbonated taste and lack of spontaneity in the flavor.

A little too... middle-of-the-road, I'd say. I was expecting something better from this seasonal due to the good things I've heard through word-of-mouth, but in the end was slightly disappointed.

09-19-2006 23:57:52 | More by CharlieMopps
ruleof72

Georgia

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

A- clear with a nice "Autumn" brown color with a little red hue. Head was light and thin but stuck around while drinking

S- slightly sweet with a caramel/toast and floral type hops, nice.

T- caramel and toasted flavor. A slight aftertaste, not bad

M- a little thin but smooth, OK

D- generally good but I wouldn't want more than a couple of these at once

All in all a decent beer. It is definitely drinkable with its best quality being the smell with mouthfeel next. You can tell the alcohol is there when drinking it.

09-19-2006 23:40:31 | More by ruleof72
teg8612

3.4/5  rDev -7.4%

A- Deep orangish amber, typical Marzen color. Clear but weak head.

S- Mildly hoppy with some spice and fruit sweetness.

T&M- Very chewy with caramel and toasty malts. Alcohol is present as well as some fruit sweetness. Pretty balanced as the hops bite in when the malt gets to be too much and both fade together to give it smooth finsh with only a slight aftertaste of caramel malt. Good body

D- Not bad but not ground breaking either. I have had better versions locally than this and I still would prefer some of the Munich versions as well. They keep tweeking this and they are gradually removing the over-sweet character every try but haven't gotten it just right yet. It also seems to get more avergae every year too. Give it a shot but I didn't have more than two before I switched to something else.

09-19-2006 13:25:19 | More by teg8612
ndekke39

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

This came from a 12 oz bottle with a February '07 best-by date. Poured a clear, invited reddish-orange. Small white head with little retention. Light smells of malt and warm spices. Taste focuses, too, on the malt. Hints of caramel. Not as strong as it could be, but very refreshing. Small fizz on the front of the tongue, but overall a bit creamy. A nice beer, very easy to drink, perfect for the fall, not too complex. Like most Sam Adams beers, I would gladly pick it up again.

09-18-2006 22:56:32 | More by ndekke39
Generik420

Indiana

2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

After all the hype surrounding this beer, I was sorely disappointed when I got to try it at Oktoberfest Zinzinnati. I found this beer to be a very average beer and was left wondering why there was so many forum posts lauding this as the best Oktoberfest beer. Other then the color of the beer, nothing else about it would make me believe this was an Oktoberfest style beer, and I would be more apt to call it a generic dark beer. Color was a medium to dark brown with a thin head. I found the beer to seem somewhat watery and very light in terms of mouthfeel. Aroma had mild hops, and the flavor was much the same. All in all, a pretty average brew that doesn't live up to the hype. I regret to say, this was the worst beer I had at the Oktoberfest but was the one I was really looking forward to trying. It was 'OK', but nothing I would go out and buy to stock my fridge with.

09-18-2006 19:54:59 | More by Generik420
BlackAngus

Indiana

Crystal clear copper, thin tan head that fades to lace.

Subtle malty aroma, no real hops noticeable. Some fruitiness, but very faint.

Taste is pleasantly sweet and malty. No hoppiness. Clean finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, faintly carbed, clean and dry.

Very, very drinkable. I drank half a case of this this weekend. Not a terrific Oktoberfest, but certainly drinkable, and inexpensive.

09-18-2006 14:00:41 | More by BlackAngus
dubman003

New Hampshire

4.6/5  rDev +25.3%

Drink this beer, drink this beer, drink THIS BEER! If it's on tap, you are skipping everything else on tap, I dont care if the urine of god is on tap, you are drinking this. It is superior, especially this season, try it and love it, you may even send me a message thanking me. Be well.

09-18-2006 05:04:17 | More by dubman003
Morris729

3.13/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a clear copper amber color with a moderate off-white head that has a nice retention. Nose is sweet with notes of toasted malts. Taste is also on the sweet side but without much depth. There are some fainter biscuity notes later in the taste, but it comes across too thinly. I’ll pass—there are many superior Oktoberfests to be had.

09-17-2006 17:35:38 | More by Morris729
cameraman

Kentucky

3.38/5  rDev -7.9%

A brillant copper/reddish color. The malt stands out in the aroma and pretty much dominates the scent through out each smell. The flavor, the malt is very evident, with a slight twinge of bitterness from the hops, which leaves the palate nice and dry. The feel is like an oxymoron, thick water is the best way to describe the feel. Fairly easy to drink, but the lack of hop flavor doesn't seem to balance the flavor out.

09-16-2006 03:41:31 | More by cameraman
Gasp100

Delaware

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

A - Poured a beautiful and clear copper - I wish I could brew my homebrew to be this gorgeous a color and sheen.
S - A very small hint of nutmeg and other spices with biscuit malt.
T - Tasted very light with a malty sweetness with a crisp, dry finish. This was very simple and seemed to be lightened compared to other offerings I have had so far this year.
M - The mouthfeel was clean and dry with no cloying aftertaste.
D - I could probably drink 12 of these in a marathon session without a problem.
This is a great crossover-fest and a nice session beer for Autumn.

09-14-2006 22:45:33 | More by Gasp100
arnulfooxblood

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev +15%

Poured from 12 oz bottle.

Appearence--Crisp deep amber color, 2cm. of off white head.

Smell--carmely malts, not very strong though

Taste/Mouthfeel--Nice strong malty flavors, not too sweet. Good body and nice carbonation. Overall, I really like the taste of this beer.

Drinkability--I thoroughly enjoy drinking this one.

Notes--maybe not the best Oktoberfest around, but it's always solid and usually available come September.

09-14-2006 00:22:17 | More by arnulfooxblood
HossMcGraw

4.08/5  rDev +11.2%

Finally decided to get this one, and I'm glad I did. Pours a hazy orangei-sh brown hue with respectable head and a little lacing. The aroma is molasses, cinnamon, a little clove, and unfortunately a decent bit of alcohol. The flavor is decently rich with more molasses and cinnamon. It's sweet but not as much as I was expecting. Very well balanced. Mouthfeel is too thin and lacks any noticeable carbonation. Drinkability is pretty high. This is a fine O-Fest and I would reccomend it. Underrated in my opinion.

09-13-2006 00:05:30 | More by HossMcGraw
becktone

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

With fall on the way and summer coming close to an end some of my favorite seasonals begin to emerge. With the weather cooling down Octoberfests and Pumpkin Ales begin to become more and more appealing. I thought that I'd give this beer another try and in turn review it again, now that my appreciation and taste for beer has grown.

The color of this beer is a beautiful crystal clear copper. Kind of like the color of some of the Autumn Leaves that drift by my window. Although the leaves are still green now, the color of this beer reminds me of those falling leaves. Head starts off at two fingers, somewhat off white and creamy in appearance. Lacing is fair. Head retention is somwhat poor. The head slowly decreases in size.

Aroma of this beer is also quite good. It is very potent, as soon as the bottle was opened the boquet of aroma hit me in the face. There's not that many beers that I've had where the aroma is that strong and appealing. It seems that more often than not one has to try to find the aroma, searching for it. Not so with this beer. To the nose it is malty sweet smelling of caramel and a hint of spicy noble hop character.

This beer in my opinion is definitely better on the colder side. The flavors just seem to come out better. Noticeable in the flavor are caramaly and some spicy herbal characteristics. Bittering hops do a nice job of balancing the brew out, keeping the malty and caramel flavors in check.

This beer is smooth and well rounded. It goes down easy and is very drinkable. Its got a medium body although it seems a bit thin. Carbonation is in check, appropriate for the style. This would make for a good session beer were the alcohol a bit lower. A good beer to drink once a year, but with so many others out there of the same style with the same limitability it seems unlikely that I'll buy this beer again this season.

09-12-2006 20:36:08 | More by becktone
ridedammit

3.2/5  rDev -12.8%

To celebrate the Fall, A and I decided to try a bunch of Oktoberfest beers. Being from Boston its only natural to try Sam Adams, althouh I am not sure if this is brewed in JP or the mid-west, but I digress. The appearance is dark golden color, and the smell is a nice malty fragrance. The taste is a bit astringent, not sure why. The puckery feel kinda overwhelms whatever maltiness the brewer was trying to convey. While not a bad beer, its not quite what I was expecting, and its not
something I will get on a regular basis. I will try again, just to make sure it was not the batch. I also notice the recipe is tweaked from year to year, so I will try again in the future.

09-12-2006 19:41:58 | More by ridedammit
PeatReek

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a brilliant clear orange with a thin lid of slightly yellowish head. Sweet, cool smell of malted milk balls... SO malty. Initial taste is crisp and bitey, slight carbonation tingle resolving to a mild bitterness blended nicely with a substantial, but dry, maltiness. I think that's key to good Oktoberfest beers -- big malt flavor without cloying sweetness. I could definitely have a few of these.

09-12-2006 02:15:23 | More by PeatReek
GreatSatchmo

This is a varietal of beer that I have yet to delve into very deeply, so this is based on narrow experience. I poured from a 12oz bottle into a tall, strait Sam Adams glass. The color was beatiful burnt orange and brown, fits perfectly with the season. The head was thing and off white, and disappeared fairly quickly. The nose was of biscut, no descernable hops (as I assume is how this should go). Taste was simple, and enjoyable. Sweet and smooth, with a mouthfeel slightly lighter than I'd like, although not far enough off as for me to use "watery" to describe it. The finish is warm and smooth.

This beer fits the season and is extremely drinkable. Even better: its available almost anywhere you'll find burr, so its something you can enjoy without any searching.

09-11-2006 17:36:46 | More by GreatSatchmo
Portertime

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

I've tried a bunch of different Octoberfests now including Spaten, Beck's, Paulaner, Hacker Pschorr, and Samuel Adams. The Americanized Samuel Adams one was a decent one. It wasn't the best I've had but I would recomend it. I first took a few sips directly from the bottle like I usually do then I took in the aroma directly from the bottle. I then poured it into a Samuel Adams glass that I own. The color was a deep amber copper. I liked that. The taste was a mild toffe and caramel with a smooth finish. It wasn't overly sweet or overpowering. I enjoyed it but it wasn't as flavorful as say the Black Lager or the Cherry Wheat. It is a good beverage for a cool autumn day however.

09-10-2006 21:33:24 | More by Portertime
jtw5877

A nice example of a nice style, pours a nice coppery amber hue with a quickly dimishing tannish white head. A nice maly taste with biscuity caramel overtones. A widely available beer which usually finds its way to my refridgerator this time of year. A safe bet, not extreme by any means. Yet it gets the job done. Another example of Boston Brewing Companies ability to produce solid offerings for each season of the year.

09-09-2006 21:22:13 | More by jtw5877
jhollick

3.45/5  rDev -6%

Is it that time already??!!

Reviewing the 2006 Edition of Samuel Adams Octoberfest. I swear this beer gets sweeter and less hoppy every year. Can anyone confirm this, or is it a matter of changing tastebuds?

Poured with deep copper color with a minimal tan head. There was pretty decent lacing...more than I expected, and it stuck around for the duration of the beer.

Smell is all sweet, with caramel and toasted malts being the dominant smells. It definitely smells like an American style fall beer. In the mouth, this felt a bit watery, and there was a pretty strong tingle from the carbnoation.

Tastewise, this is pretty indicitive of the style. Lots of sweetness, with just enough hop to keep you drinking. There is a noticably buttery flavor aside from the usual sources of sweetness, and a slightly dry aftertaste with an almost veggy like flavor throughout. Not sure if I'd have more than 2-3 of these because of the sweetness. Personally, I'd like a bit mroe hop action on the back end, but maybe that's just not the style. I hope I'm not losing my taste for Oktoberfests. Still, another fine effort from Sam Adams. I'd never shy away from it.

09-09-2006 20:15:04 | More by jhollick
Byeast

3.45/5  rDev -6%

Poured a clear copper color , with a finger of head that dissipated quickly. Aroma is mildly sweet and toasty , some light caramel , and a bit of noble hop tinge. Taste is slightly roasty , sweet , tad bit of spice and balancing hop. Mouthfeel is medium. A verydrinkable marzen , pretty good and definatly worth a try.

09-09-2006 03:09:21 | More by Byeast
Bitterbill

Wyoming

3.38/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle a clear dark amber with a medium sized head of foam that dissipated fairly slowly leaving a fine layer with lacing.

The smell was pretty delicate but I did note some malt sweetness.

The taste has notes of caramel maltiness, some grain and there's a hoppy bitterness near and through the finish. Not a bad brew at all and worth trying for sure.

09-08-2006 23:00:24 | More by Bitterbill
HoustonTX

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

A deep amber color with a large fluffy white head. Excellent carbonation, and some trails of lacing. Smell is spot on for an Oktober. Stale malts, and a hint of hops. Taste is different. Sweet caramel malt backbone upfront, with almost a vegetable-like bready undertone. Flavor is pretty one dimensonal, and bland. Noble hops sweep in towards the end, providing a small amount of bitterness. Mouthfeel is crisp. Drinkability is average.

This is an average Oktoberfest. I recommend you try one at least once.

09-08-2006 22:16:05 | More by HoustonTX
andjusticeforale

Connecticut

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

Had a couple a pints of these on tap at "Quench" a restaurant and martini bar in Waterbury, CT. The look and smell were typical; the beer tasted fresh, however, and there were distinct cramel-brown notes with a chewy middle and a dry finish. There wasn't much bittering going on, but there was some sflavor hop which contributed to the smokey overall non-sweetness. This one would be better to drink solo than to pair with food, I had the grilled pork chops with mushrooms and gorgonzola, with angel hair and anchovies; the meal was fantastic, but I kept going back to the glass of water instead of the Sam's octoberfest/

09-08-2006 11:54:08 | More by andjusticeforale
chris11554

2.48/5  rDev -32.4%

I tried this beer at barbecue restaurant in midtown that just put it on draft and was very excited. Unfortunately I was unimpressed. It has a nice dark amber color but the aroma was bland. The taste wasn't bad but it also wasn't special at all or what I was expecting. Therer was no extra matliness or hoppiness. It was as if they took regular Sam Adams and put carmel coloring in it. It's an extremely drinkable beer and it goes down easy. A good everyday beer but definetely not a specialty beer in my opinion.

09-08-2006 10:58:11 | More by chris11554
blackie

appearance: The pour produces a 0.5" khaki head that recedes to the standard ring and thin layer. The beer is a rich medium amber in color, reminiscent of the reds and oranges of fall.

smell: Notes of toasted caramel on the nose with a nice, malty sweetness bringing aromas of red apples and dried dates. The light touch of ethanol is quite nice. Low hop aroma.

mouthfeel: The carbonation rides the border between medium and high, and is smooth. The body is medium. Instead of being slick after the swallow, the finish is nice and clean, which I appreciate.

taste: Nice blend of malts give subtle notes of caramel and some woody earthiness. Not as malty as the "Malt Lover's Dream" reverse label would have me believe, though. Not too much depth of flavor here. Light noble hop flavor and a nice, drying bitterness in the finish.

drinkability: An easy drinking, good beer. It's got some characters that bring to mind the fallen leaves associated with fall.

Single bottle purchased at Whole Foods...notched as best by February, which I assume means 2007.

09-08-2006 02:12:18 | More by blackie
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)