Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
3.28/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Copper amber with a creamy tan head that leaves sliding lace on the glass. Toffee, bready yeast and mild citric hops are all present in the nose. Nice and malty with a bit more hop bittering than the traditional german take on the style. Medium light bodied and creamy. A nice O-fest.

4.05/5  rDev +10.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner - fridge - March 2009

Appearance: Pours a transparent orange color with brown hues. The 2" tall ivory head is cakey and shows good retention, with round tentacles of lace.

Smell: Malty aroma is rich with sugar, caramel, lager yeast and brown sugar. A citrus hop finish completes the aroma. Nice.

Taste: Malt flavor is oozing with caramel and smooth lager yeast. A German, subtle, hop bitterness balances the beer to where you want to keep on drinking.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, bitter, balanced Oktoberfest that S.A. has nailed to the wall. Medium body, foamy carbonation and a bitter, dry finish.

Drinkability: Quite a tasty Oktoberfest beer that would pair with lots of foods, from savory dishes to spicy ones. I will drink this again and again.

3.05/5  rDev -16.9%

Weak head which barely gets to half a finger before dissipating to weak swirls across the surface, thin streaks of lacing. Nice glow to the red amber color, thins into a zinc orange around the rims. The nose is gently spiced with clove, nutmeg and allspice, followed on by cereal, mixed white citrus and oregano and bay leaf herbs, neither that malty nor that fruity. In the mouth it's medium-bodied, the carbonation arguably a bit much for the primary material and does not allow the flavors time to soak in. More of that raw spice mixed in with herbs and a light metallic accent. Hard to shake that dilute feeling, no fruit or citrus to fill in the blanks and the malts not very sweet, some dark chocolate dust. The graininess milled down and powdery. Some lift at the end, but without much direction.

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

A 12 oz bottle.

A: The o-fest is a coppery amber color, clear enough that I can see the decorative candle that sits on the other side of the glass. A decent head, nearly two fingers in size, overflowed briefly, requiring a quick clean-up. Light lacing followed.

S: The aroma is very malty, bready with a pleasant sweet streak that lightens things up. Hops add a balancing aspect only, little in the way of strong noble hops.

T: The beer has a light body, grainy but not too full. The standout is a dose of caramel, almost syrupy, that follows the initial malt wave. The sweetness that it brings livens up the taste. The hops are a little stronger here too, adding an earthy bitterness. The finish is fast, offering some graininess before fading away.

M: The lager is malty, no doubt about it. The flavor is solid though and the caramel really helps it work.

D: This is like comfort beer. I just feel good drinking it and it reminds me of a simpler time when I hadn't yet gotten into ales. Sammy A., thank you for a nice pint.

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: light clear amber with very minimal head, that fades almost instantly. Leaves no lacing on the side of the mug.

Smell: Malty, apple,

Taste: Sweet, roasted malt. Very light hop in the background. A hint of nuttyness.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, lingers on the tongue.

Drinkability: These go down smooth. Feels like it needs a bit of counterbalance to arouse the tongue, but still enjoyable.

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

had on tap at applebees really this was the best brew they had to offer from a really bad tap list..however the beer had a nice copper glow to it with a decent 1/2 " head the smell was malty with caramel tones some toffee and baked bread ...the taste was caramel malts some baked bread with a slight hop middle followed by some fruit and more malt finish..sam adams is a macro/micro brewer a huge one now but one of the first on the block to change beer drinkers..so my hats off to them..this marzen while not the best was still very good..sam adams is always a fallback brew..and a good one at that

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

So, I want to like samuel adams... I don't know what it is about it, it tastes good and all..., its just kinda got that "for the masses" taste..., but i'm being a snob, and old sammy a's been doing this for a long time, so i gave their harvest variety 12 pack a shot. I started with the octoberfest.

A. clean, very little head, lightlightlight brown.

S. sweet malts, caramel, sweet butter.

T. it's tasty, but not too adventures. sweet malty light brown ale flavor... I wish i could say more. can't taste the hops, it's not overly sweet, it has a nice balance about it. I think it's flavor is a good starter for people who say they don't like "good" beer...

M. this might be my favorite part to this beer. it's smooth and satisfying in the mouth.

D. E A S Y ! ! ! if you're payin', keep em' coming...

cheers!

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

From Flying Dog to Gordon to Karl to Sam, we enter the last beer of the American Oktoberfest Invitational, the tasting which I sample some of the marzen's of the bigger American craft breweries. Before I go on, I will say that this is the first SA Oktoberfest I've had in three years, which is the longest stretch I've gone without tasting a beer that I already sampled. To some, that may not sound long, but I've only been able to legally drink for only a slightly longer time. That will end very soon. Is SA Oktoberfest as good as I remember? On to the beer:

Poured into a stange, the beer's color is darker than other maarzen's with its rich amber red color. The head on top is semi-creamy/semi-fuzzy. It slowly drops. Light in the nose. There is some "raw" hop leaf crawling in the nose with weak notes of malty goodness. Where are my malts? Will I taste them?

Oh yes, I taste them, though on the lighter side. Bread crust and sweet King's Hawaiian rolls lead the way in this smooth, medium bodied beer. It's slightly fruity, and very faint alcohol hints itself on the palate. Dry biscuit malt finishes off the journey.

In the land of marzen's, SA Oktoberfest will hold its own given its distribution, freshness, and price advantage. Not as heavenly as I remember three years ago, but still very servicable and easy drinking. (In case you were wondering, Boréale Blonde is now the beer I haven't sampled in the longest time, dating back to December 2006.)

The American Oktoberfest Invitaitonal comes to end with these four beers, and now is the time to crown a winner. And the winner is....

Gordon Biersch Festbier!

No leftover marzen's at this Oktoberfest, and in the end, the guy who tells you not to trust a skinny brewer takes it all. Hope you're all full of pretzels and potato salad (and beer!) after this invite. Good night everyone!

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance has a dark amber color with a nice fluffy head. Smell has a sweet malt breadiness to it. Taste of very light roasted malts with a light toffee note rounded evenly with hops. Mouthfeel is a nice light - medium with good carbonation. Not bad for the style, a pretty good easy drinking beer.

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

From 12 oz bottle into a Beer Mug :

A: Amber colour with an inch thick head. Very lively

S: Sweet and malty - toffee flavoured

T: Big malt taste - then it turns a little tart on the palate

M: Pretty smooth, optimal carbonation

D: The appropriate session beer possibly

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

I bought the 22oz bottle almost everyday for the past two weeks. Its been a few years since I had a SA Octoberfest and I was very pleased with it. The color looked great the pour left a nice foamy head. My first taste and I can notice the malt right away. A hint of sweetness. After each sip I wanted more. Next stop I have to try it on tap.

I was very impressed with beer.

2.98/5  rDev -18.8%

Appearance: A nice burnt orange/amber color. Almost no head in the pour and zero lacing.

Smell: Lots of malt aroma with just a hint of a somewhat aged flavor. This imo adds to the authenticity of the style.

Taste: The taste follows the smell to a 'T'.

Mouthfeel: This feels full bodied but isn't that complex. Not to heavy and very nice.

Drinkability: This is a pretty light beer but isn't lacking in body. If there was less alcohol this would be a nice session beer.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Finally found this on a roatating tap at a BBQ place in New Milford. I'd been seeing Brooklyn October rotated in around Fairfield county, and while a good beer, its not the same.

Poured into a cold pint glass. Deep copper ruby color with a hint of white foam, long gone from the original pour.

Smells malty and bready. The beer was very cold, which I find to mute aromas.

Taste is the classic Octoberfest marzen malt. This beer for me defines that taste, at least for American versions. Some breadiness in there, caramel notes, and a restrained hop - all make for a near perfect taste.

Very drinkable, used to drink these by the gallon. Love this beer.

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

Deep ruby color with a white head. Smells like Munich malt (not surprisingly). Sweet taste and a thicker mouthfeel make it stand out compared to the Spaten Oktoberfest I had just before it. More hop bitterness is present in it compared to its European predecessor as well. It's also more carbonated. Pretty decent beer that's on tap in a lot of places.

2.35/5  rDev -36%

Since the cold air has arrived early and October is almost halfway through, I figured I'd better get in some seasonal beers. I drank this Octoberfest at the same time as another so I could sample the differences.

Poured from a 16.6 oz bottle. Little head of foam.

Color: deep copper. clear and clean appearance.

Nose: slight floral tones.

Taste: A little nutty with a slight bit of fruit.

Mouthfeel: not a whole lot there. Very smooth and creamy. Nice finish.

Drinkability: Very easy. Seem to me that this could be a session beer (I could be way off). I could have quite a few. There just didn't seem to be all that much there in this beer. I didn't find it very interesting. Drinkable not flavorful.

3.13/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Best by notch on side of front label. It was a clear amber color with several carb streams but no lacing. It had a good sized white head that settled into a good collar and some central wisps.

The aroma was toasted malt, caramel, toffee with not much of a hop presence. On sweet side. The taste was heavy on the toasted malt with less of the sweet coming thru and again not much of a hop presence. Dry. I like my Marzen's to be a little sweeter and less dry. Mouthfeel was crisp with medium body.

Overall, a little below average Marzen for me but comes thru in a pinch when it's best choice on-tap. Worth a try. For me, I won't be buying any 6 packs but there are couple restaurants that we hit that usually have this during the season and is often then only non-BMC option so that's about the only time I'd have it.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance: Kind of a reddish/golden color that is very clear and has a good head.

Smell: Somewhat bland. I was a little disappointed here. There is a bit of a hop aroma, but not much.

Taste: A very nice blend of malt and hops. It has a good flavor while still being smooth. I find this to be much smoother than some other brewery's attempts.

Mouthfeel: Kind of thin, not a whole lot to report here.

Drinkability: Very good. I think so far this might be my favorite Oktoberfest beer. There's a lot I haven't tried, but so far, this one is my favorite.

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

poured a rich copper brown, mainly clear, with an off white head. good lacing.

smells of caramel and malt, some nut or nut extract, and an ioda of pine.

taste is rich and sweet, a little roasted nut, and some caramel flavors.

good mouthfeel, definetly has a good body to it. drinkable.

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a clear, amber color with a 2 finger thick, light brown colored head, with decent retention, leaving bits-o-lace on the glass.

Lots of toasted grains and caramel on the aroma. Pretty sweet overall, but rather simple and clean.

The flavor is malt-centric, with a fair amount of caramel and a nice toasty quality. Relatively sweet, and next to no hop character.

The beer has a nice texture, although it seems a tad flat. A nice, clean flavor but nothing too exciting.

3.35/5  rDev -8.7%

A good solid, regular beer, which is not what I always get from Sam Adams, but I do with this one. Always available and consistent, which is not a bad thing I feel. Plus I think it is my favorite seasonal from Boston Beer so It doesn't let me down.

Drank right out of the bottle, at a festival where I subsequently drank a few more walking around.

Good taste, not like the Munichs that I prefer, yet a little spice here and there which surprises me. Heavier than other lagers, including the Boston Lager, yet with a strong malt flavor and very little hoppiness.

If you want a reliable and available and not so expensive brew, this is your seasonal.

3.4/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber colored beer with a slowly fading head.Aroma is malty.Taste also is malts with a hint of fruit and caramel.It is smooth and goes down like water.It does fit the beer style pretty well.I would recommend and would purchase again.Another decent job by Sam Adams!!

Samuel Adams Octoberfest
bottle to glass

appearance- pours a dark amber color with some orange. thin little tan colored head that disappeared within moments of pouring, before i even took a sip. no lace at all.

smell- just some slightly sweet malts.

taste- spice, toasted malts, bready, some caramel. a little hops round it out nicely. it's just kind of a one dimensional flavor. besides the overall lack of distinction, it's satisfying when you want something that's easy to drink with a little flavor. good BMC crossover beer.

being my first fall seasonal, i have to say i'm not too impressed, but then again it seems to me that many of Sam's brews are made for a broader consumer base than most craft and it comes through in the slighly better than average taste.

mouthfeel- somewhat dry, goes down easy. leaves a nice aftertaste

drinkability- easily drinkable, i could put a few of these back in a sitting. not worth buying a sixer to me, but i would graciously accept one if offered.

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Not a huge Octoberfest fan but, hey, it's october. Had an imperial pint of this and it's a very solid beer. Great dark copper color, very good two finger head, great marzen flavor and good mouthfeel and drinkability. I don't think I'd choose this over a Munich house beer but otherwise it's a very solid beer.

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance: Had this one on tap in a 22oz mug. The color was a beautiful translucent effervescent golden copper that really had a beautiful autumnal hue. The head had a decent amount of retention and thin layer of lacing upon dissipation.

Smell: Nothing very complex but rather refreshingly simple with subtle toasted malts and grain.

Taste: Quite mild as the nose led on to. There was a light taste of toasted grains and malt but there was a touch of sweetness that was unexpected and overpowers any hop that is lingering.

Mouthfeel: Remarkably smooth throughout with just the right amount of carbonation to dance across the palate, finishes quite dry and has a sweet malty aftertaste.

Drinkability: Easily drinkable and would definitely session in the thick of this autumnal October month. Nothing off-putting and likely nothing overpowering.

Overall: Was the only thing to really choose from with the beer list the restaurant had. Polished off the tall boy pint with a rack of ribs and it paired nicely. First O'c'toberfest I've had and I'm pleased with the outcome.

2009 vintage; scores 4/4/3.5/3/3
2010: 4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5/4.0
I've averaged these for my overall rating of the beer.

12 oz bottle (2009) into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a clear, deep ruby-amber body with good carbonation topped by a finger and a half of sticky off-white foam; decent retention and good lace. Nice but unremarkable looking beer.

S: Rich, grainy malt, with a hint of spice on the finish; smooth, crisp, and refreshing aroma.

T: All malt, much sweeter than the nose; caramel up front, followed by a mellow toastiness and a crisp, dry finish. Not bad at all, but nothing exciting.

M: Medium bodied, a little sharp with the carbonation. A little sticky.

D: I miss hops; even in a malt-forward style like a Marzen, I look for at least a subtle hop profile to keep things balanced. My mouth feels coated with grain, and I know that another sip won't remedy the situation. I'm not craving another one of these (but I suppose a couple more wouldn't kill me).

Notes: I still haven't found an O-fest that I really love (unless you count Avery's Kaiser, but that's a different animal entirely), and this one continues to be one of my favorites - it's tasty and relatively inoffensive. Still, this isn't a seasonal that I get excited about.

Cheers!

Edit: Update for the 2010 iteration.

This year's Sam Octoberfest is considerably better than I remember it being last time around. The malts are dryer and nuttier, there's a distinct German hop presence, and the the mouthfeel is far smoother and better-carbonated. It's an all-around better beer: 4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5/4.0

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)