Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

1 pint, 6 floz. Pint Glass.

A: Dark red with two finger off white fluffy/creamy head. Lacing is good.

S: Aroma is slightly metallic. Malts and hops are present. Almost smells burnt like.

T/M: First thing that hits me is a kind of metallic taste. After that this brew gets very malty and sweet. Burnt grains and hops are used. Also kind of crisp. Good tasting Octoberfest.

D: Very average beer in general. Their are much better octobers out there. Not bad though, just average. I actually try to have this brew a few times during the season.

Cheers!

mnrider, Sep 13, 2009

best by feb 2010

pours clear amber brown with a 1 finger head that left no lacing

smell was very faint - lightly roasted malts

taste was not much better then the smell - lightly roasted carmel malts but still a little too sweet - no hops to be found?

mouthfeel was medium body no real life in the carbonation dept.

drinkability is so so - nothing worth having again

jsh420, Sep 13, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +12.5%

Presented in a brown bottle and poured into a Samuel Adams "Perfect Pint" glass.

A: It pours nice clear amber colored with a thick head.

S: I am not getting too much smell out of it but can still pick up some toast and malt smells.

T: The first taste is some buttery cracker kind of like eating a Ritz cracker, I also taste some malt and hints of caramel.

M: Coats the mouth and is a bit chewy.

D: This is a very good drink. I have been drinking this all week as an every day drinker. I have had some other O-fests this season but this one is probably one of the better ones.

PvtVile, Sep 13, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap in a pint glass

A: Copper colored beer that is clean and translucent in the glass. Very small head which leaves some nice lacing.

S: Roasted sweet malt with a hint of bitter hops and floral tones. The malt profile is definitely the leader

T: Sweet dark roasted malt with a hint of fresh baked bread and pumpkin seeds. Bitter finish on the back end.

M: Full body, moderate carbonation with a sweet malty profile.

D: Consistently good Octoberfest from Sam Adams but not the best year I have had in my opinion. Still good though!

racer2k, Sep 13, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Golden amber colour, about an inch of head, nice lacing present that clung seductively to the side of the glass.

S - Nice toasty smell, semi-sweet fragrance, easy on the nose.

T - This was my first Oktoberfest, so I honestly wasn't sure what to expect and tried to not bring any pre-conceived notions to the table, despite being let down by Sam Adams' beers in the past. However! This one was pretty good, semi-sweet chocolate flavor in the beginning, which trailed off into a toasty flavor, not too alcoholic and a little sweeter at the end, which was welcome. Also had a nice nutty aftertaste, which I love in beer.

M - Not very alcoholic, rather smooth and it left me with a pleasant semi-sweet aftertaste once I'd finished the beer. Sort of like when you finish a food you really enjoy and there's that aftertaste that keeps making you remember it and smile.

D - I could've probably had a few of these before I got tired of the taste, but I'm a bit of a lightweight, so I usually limit myself to 1 beer a meal.

Honestly the only reason I didn't rate this higher, despite the flavors I tasted (and enjoyed), was because it didn't seem that complex. After I had a few initial tastes and placed the flavors I was tasting, I felt like it would have more to offer, but it didn't appear to, which was sad.

NekotoNikku, Sep 13, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +10.4%

A: Pours a dark amber and crystal clear with a cream colored head that stays for a pretty good amount of time.

S: Toasted malts, malty, maybe some caramel not sure, I'm bad with the smells.

T: Tastes very malty and a good bitter, hoppy aftertaste.

M: Very good carbonation level, goes down smooth.

D: Very drinkable if you are only going to have a few, if you are going to have a lot may be too heavy.

imanidiot777, Sep 12, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a crystal clear amber color with a very thick off white colored heading.Leaves very good lacing all throughout.

Smell is all malt. Toasted malts hit's you at first followed by a sweeter caramel aroma that finishes it off.

Taste again very malty with a slight sugary kiss on the lips.A perfect ending of hops that balances this maltiness perfectly.

Mouthis very smooth and bubbley.Slick on the tongue and leaves a slight sting on the tongue of the noble hops used.

Drinkability for me is great. I love this time of year because this is one of my heavy favorites from Sam Adams and I wish I could get this more often.

TheFightfan1, Sep 12, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

A: Carmel colour. Nothing special.

S: Hint of pumpkin.

T: Honestly, kinda bland compared to other Octoberfests.

MF: Average mouthfeel with a bitter aftertaste.

D: I love most of Sam's brews, but I couldn't see myself drinking this all night, even in cool weather.

majesticsock, Sep 12, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A clear dark amber color topped off by a foamy but sticky white head, leaving a thin lace down the glass

Not a strong scent but seems to open up as it warms. Some sweet toasted malt with a floral/spicy noble hop presence

Well balanced, caramel and toasted malt flavors. The hop profile is not quite as noticeable as I remember it, but then again, this is not a hoppy style.

Medium body with a crisp feel and good carbonation. Overall, a nice easy to drink representation of the style.

Kinsman, Sep 12, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Pours a clear, reddish amber-orange color. A tall, frothy head of caramel-tinted foam bubbles up, with above average retention. A few foamy rings of lace trail along the inside of the glass.

S: Some toasty/caramel malt aromas are definitely present. A mild hop presence offers leafy and light earthen notes. A bit of a tartness as well, although difficult to place.

T: The malt flavors take the stage here, and they are equally toasty and caramel-flavored. Sweetness is noticeable at first, but it is kept in check by a dash of hoppiness. Leafy and mild earthy hop notes are present, adding moderate bitterness. There are some complexities at work as well, with tealike tannins and toffee flavors among them.

M: Medium bodied, with moderate carbonation. Fairly crisp and definitely on the dry side into the finish.

D: A pretty solid Oktoberfest from SA. I brought home a smorgasbord of fall seasonals the other day, and this is the first I've gotten down to reviewing. It's nice to begin the switch from summer brews to something a little maltier. This one doesn't set the world on fire, but it's a rock-solid, accessible beer.

Clydesdale, Sep 11, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

A: The brew is copper with a small white compact head.

S: A nice light roasted sweet malty smell together with some nice floral hops (a hint of bitter).

T: Sweet light roasted malt, bready and refreshing. Mostly floral hops but there are also bitter ones. Some faint citric notes.

M: Full bodied, moderate carbonation. Sweet and bitter aftertaste - really nice.

D: A nice märzen, a bit different from the central european ones - different but not bad. If you like märzen and havn't tried this one - it's a must!

Evil_Pidde, Sep 11, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -6%

Pours a nice caramel color with a tan head which dissipates after a minute or two. No lacing left on my glass. Like others, I couldn't quite place the taste I was getting and I think buttery is a good description. A sharp malty taste with little hop flavor. Definitely drinkable, but not session-able as the aftertaste hangs around a little too long. I almost like the sweet malty smell better than the taste.

ChuckR343, Sep 11, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

Amber with a white collar and no head yet it left one stringy lace ring. Metallic with some noble hop spice--could be the victim of a frosty mug. Inoffensive toasted malt with some minor noble hop spice in back. Seems buttery this year?

I remember this being better. Bummer.

donkeyrunner, Sep 10, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -8.7%

Bottle into pint glass. Someone brought a six-pack of this over for a poker game and there was one left. It's relatively dark amber in color, a relatively uninspiring head when poured in a normal way. Not a lot of scent at all really, a little bit of toasted malt but not much. The taste is better though, layers of malt with biscuit and burnt sugar. Quite smooth and easy drinking - overall a solid effort. Considering the price I wouldn't mind picking up a six-pack or two. The lady might like it even more than I do.

bobjonesSD, Sep 10, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

A: Nice golden-brown with moderate carbonation with a decent 1-finger head, not terribly firm, but lasts.

S/T: Heavy buttery diacetyl notes, yeasty, with some slight spice and possible lemon. It's quite malty, very sweet with little hop bitterness.

M: Has the body of a lager with a bit of an extra creaminess.

D: Rather boring, but easy enough going down. The aftertaste lasts a while, but it's a bit too heavy on the butter. This beer helped me get into beer a couple years ago, so I give it a slight bump.

dudecandle, Sep 10, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -24.3%

had this on my bro's boat the other day and just found my notes on it.

A- poured a slight golden /amber color with a thick lacing head.

S- malty with a hint of a orange twist??

T- nothing to special here. tasted a watery malt with just the slightest bit of a caramel taste.

M- light bodied. medium/ high carbonation.

D- i had to rate the drinkability the highest cuz it just reminds me of a light beer flavored water.

Overall- i was expecting alil more from sammy on this one. i remember liking this one when i first started getting into microbrews. tonight i got 4 different oktoberfest's to try. so far if you haven't tried harpoon's i highly recommend it.

claminat420, Sep 10, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A. Pours a rusty amber with a nice glow about it's appearance. A thin head with very little lace.
S. Not much in the nose. A slight aroma of caramel malts and earthy grains. Smells like a malty lager.
T. The taste is soda like. Sweet with caramel malts. Tastes like chewy caramel candies. Rich toffee notes. An earthy finish. A little sour at the end from the noble hops.
M. The mouthfeel is thin but smooth and creamy.
D. I gave the Sam Adams Octoberfest a 3 for drinkability. A beer that tastes this good should be pretty sessionable. But it's not, for me that is. If I drink more than 3 in a sesh, I start to get the conspiracy theory Sam Adams headache. Even though it's not my favorite Oktoberfest beer, it's definitely my favorite beer from Samuel Adams. I highly recommend this tasty brew.

oneeye, Sep 10, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

A- Really pleasant burnt orange color that I should think goes with fall beer. Decent head as welll, not too much, stays around long enough.

S- Not a fan. To me all the Sam Adams beers smell the same, it's all the hops, not a fan of the really BEER smell.

T- Another lighter beer you won't see me review very often, but I was in the mood for a fall beer. It does have a pleasant mild taste, some nice herbal notes as well.

M- Average, a good medium between smoothness and a mouthful of grain, nothing to write home over.

D- Pretty good if you feel like a fall beer, and it's just September. It does have some drinkability, not something that I would reach for just anytime, but it has a place in the fridge from Sept-Nov

Zebus0, Sep 09, 2009

Oh fall on Cape Cod..
A little nostalgia here, as Sam Adams was really my first craft experience, and it's my favorite time of year.

Poured 12oz bottle from a 6er in to pint glass

Poured a transparent amber with a generous 2 finger head that faded fast. Smells of bready malt with some earth tones. Taste is much like smell, picking up on some caramel. Good carbonation making the mouth a little dry and leaving an aftertaste of malt.

Drinkability? Will I have another? Of course! Like I said, it's that time of year.

Not at all a bad Octoberfest, not at all the best I've had.

Coutastic, Sep 09, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -7.4%

It pours clear, dark-amber with reddish cast, topped by a finger of beige head. The head does a quick fade. A gentle swirl leaves sparse bacteria culture-looking spots of foam on the glass.

Nose is a somewhat weak aroma of caramel and bread, with hints of earth, and even lighter hints of citrus at the edge.

Flavor is an underwhelming, but tasty, simple mix of caramel, slightly toasty grain notes on the front of the sip, followed by gentle notes of sweet and bitter, that finish too quickly for a marzen. My mouth waits for a wave of bitter and/or malty flavors that does not arrive.

Mouthfeel is thin, carbonation is good, there is a slight metallic taste in the cling. Two neg., one pos., hence the score.

Drinkability, despite, or because of, the flaws in taste and mouthfeel, is really quite good. Its thin mouth and tasty but weak flavor make for a beer that is more refreshing and drinkable than many marzens.

cavedave, Sep 08, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -7.4%

A-Pours a clear to hazy brown amber color
S- smell of hops carmal and maybe some malts
T- Starts with some hops ends with malts and citrus
M-kinda light but not too bad
D- Seems pretty drinkable i could do for a session with this

I would probably get this again sincce it is readily available and decently priced

minnunderground, Sep 08, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Poured into a a pint glass, Beautiful deep clear auburn color.1 finger head fells moderately fast. A good amount of visible carbonation keeps a slight, sat half, of the beer covered. A touch of lacing.

S- Lots of sweet caramel malts in the nose. Its not very aromatic. It's good its just needs more of what it has.

T- Very clean caramel malts. It starts out big and sweet then comes across with the roasted caramel malts. Very pleasing. The finish is light with a slight residual sweetness.

M- Its a good medium beer, with what feels like a touch too much carbonation. More bittering hops would be better at keeping the finish dry.

O- this is a very pleasing beer. Very good caramel malt taste to it. It could have a touch more hops to the finish, they are almost not present and it seems could benefit by drying out the finish a bit more.

DwnTwnBwn, Sep 08, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

Amber color with a foamy off white head.

The smell is caramel malt with a little bit of bread, not very strong.

The taste is very thin and watery. The malt is caramel and a touch of honey. It has a light touch of figs.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and as I already said, a little watered down. I was expecting something more full bodied.

No issues with drinkability. Easy to consume quite a few.

This was a decent tasting beer, but I wish the flavor was more pronounced.

Vonerichs, Sep 08, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +27.5%

One of my favorite beers. I love the arrival of fall so that I can grab a 24 of Octoberfest.

It pours a beautiful amber color with a small short lasting cream colored head.

The smell is very malty with a sweet overtone that doesn't last long because I drink the first one far too quickly.

This beer is very much of the Marzen type, very little hop in the smell but it can be tasted with no real bitterness. The test is not quite sweet and very deep.

Very easy to drink, and very very tasty. I love this beer.

simskl, Sep 08, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

Had a pint of the latest Sam offering at my local pub. Poured a beautiful amber color. Nice head but not much on the nose. Taste is simple bordering on watery - not a lot going on here. Still , a very quaffable beer. Could easily throw back 3-4 of these, though my 16 month old started fussing as soon as I got my 2nd pint.

rosmhuire, Sep 08, 2009
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)