Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,000 | Hads: 6,717
3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap at the Flying Saucer in Memphis, TN....

Appearance: Pours a nice deep reddish brown with a 1 finger head. Not much retention.

Smell: Malty and sweet with some molasses.

Taste: Malty like the style should be. Caramel with a slight slight hint of hops. Excellent rendition of the style.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is well balanced. I really enjoy this beer when it comes out every year. It's a nice change up for all of the IPAs. (467 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +20.2%

Wow! I am surprised I like this beer now. I first tried it a year ago and was unimpressed. However, I have tried many beers in that year and can now say SA Octoberfest will be in my fridge all season. I've had this beer many times this year so I think this is accurate for me:

Poured into my Friar Tuck pint glass

A.Pours a copper-red color with a 1/2" off-white head. Very fine lacing. Head retention is about 30 seconds.

N. Smells malty with some hop aroma although I can't place the hops (my nose is not that talented yet). Smells like other Oktoberfest beers.

T. Initial taste is malty and bready and some hop bitterness is present at the finish which refreshes the palate for the next drink.

M. Moderate carbonation and medium body make this beer enoyable.

D. Overall a solid beer in my opinion. Certainly an Oktoberfest that has earned a place in my fridge. The SA website lists the ABV at 5.3% which helps make the beer very drinkable and sessionable. That being said I'm off for another! (1,001 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured into a pint glass. Excellent thick head and a fine deep copper very clear color with ample carbonation.

Served at about 50 degrees. Very creamy with a little less malt than I would have liked at the finish. Tastes fresh and overall a very good drinkable beer that is not too filling and representative of the style. Maybe just a little on the simpler side than I would expect. (384 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +5.7%

A-Clear amber/rust color, one finger white head. The appearence really makes you think of fall, which I guess is the point. A really good looking beer!

S-Biscuits right off the bat, followed by fall oriented scents like nutmeg and pumpkin pie. After taking some really big whiffs I feel like I'm laying in a big pile of leaves!

T-Medium bodied with average carbonation. The classic Marzen spices hit you right off the bat, there's also a surprising salty taste. Finishing very clean with a tad bit of alchohol.

M-Nothing really special here, a bit of carbonation when it first hits the palate, but finishes very silky and clean!

O-Overall one of the best non imperial octoberfests' that I've had, blows Leinenkugel's and Harpoon's versions out of the water. Might take a back seat to Dogtoberfest though... (810 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Off-white big-bubbled yet sticky head on a brownish tinted amber brew.

Smell: Sweet malty smell.

Taste: A nice round taste. No strong tastes that I can grab on to. Some hops that stay around for a few seconds in the aftertaste. Aftertaste has notes of corn, or rather that of corn-based snacks.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with rather low carbonation.

It's a pretty good beer. Nothing more, nothing less. (425 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Great beer from SA! Love it. It's a nice change of pace from the Summer Ale. I really enjoy this beer. Has an amber color and with the 5.7% has a bit of a kick to it.

The color is very good, typical amber(fall colors). Nice to have when raking leaves as I did today...warms you up on a Fall day.

Enjoy! (309 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -1.9%

My brother recommended this to me as his favorite beer, and although it is good, it ain't all that special.

Like most beers of this type, malts dominate, and they are particularly spicey which is pleasing. The hops are more than a touch too subtle however, almost nonexistent as a matter of factor.

It strikes me as a great session beer if you are looking to do some crushing. (383 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance: Rich copper hue with Good Carbonation. Off white 1/4" that dissipated quickly. Clear Beer, to be expected.

Aroma: Sweet Raisins, Malty

Mouthfeel: Rich & heavy in the front and light & crisp in the finish.

Taste: Bread notes and Caramel, Little to no bitterness only enough to balance the beer out. Toasted malt maybe? Slighly sweet but well rounded malt.

Overall: This actually the beer that got me into loving octoberfest style beers. I love when September comes now. It's O-fest season... (508 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -35.5%

Since the cold air has arrived early and October is almost halfway through, I figured I'd better get in some seasonal beers. I drank this Octoberfest at the same time as another so I could sample the differences.

Poured from a 16.6 oz bottle. Little head of foam.

Color: deep copper. clear and clean appearance.

Nose: slight floral tones.

Taste: A little nutty with a slight bit of fruit.

Mouthfeel: not a whole lot there. Very smooth and creamy. Nice finish.

Drinkability: Very easy. Seem to me that this could be a session beer (I could be way off). I could have quite a few. There just didn't seem to be all that much there in this beer. I didn't find it very interesting. Drinkable not flavorful. (707 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%

A: Carmel colour. Nothing special.

S: Hint of pumpkin.

T: Honestly, kinda bland compared to other Octoberfests.

MF: Average mouthfeel with a bitter aftertaste.

D: I love most of Sam's brews, but I couldn't see myself drinking this all night, even in cool weather. (267 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -8.2%

A decent beer for autumn. i wouldnt be super anxious, waiting for this to come out every august through october but it's an average beer. kind of a red amber color but the appearance was my favorite part. go ahead and get a pack or two for your friend's halloween party. (270 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%

Samuel Adams does it again! Picked this up as a single bottle at a liquor store, and I'm very glad I did! I'm drinking it now and it's a wonderful beer. I can taste the malt and caramel. This is truly one of my favorite beers and I love to have more! (250 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Serving: fridge temp bottle poured into standard pint glass (forgot to check date on bottle)

Appearance: Dark, rich Orange with some red. moderate pour produces a 1 finger off-white head that settles down to some persistent lace. Quite a bit of lacing.

Smell: Light toasted aroma, maybe some bread. A little light.

Taste: Malty overall, a little on the sweet side and not much toastiness. Pretty clean without much complexity.

Feel: Medium-light, not very creamy. Finish is dry and does not overstay its welcome.

Overall: A solid, and dare I say it, commercial version of the Oktoberfest. There are a good number of richer and arguably more flavorful Oktoberfests out there, but at 5.3%, what do you expect? This would be a good idea to pick up as a 12 pack for a football tailgate or something along those lines since many people would find this beer agreeable and nonoffensive. While I would definitely drink this again if someone offered it, I probably would not buy it for myself. (990 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +12.3%

On tap, pint glass.

A - Almost as good as a beer can look. Rich, clear brown body with a tan 1-2 finger head. Very inviting.

S - If there's a weak point for this beer, I guess it has to be this. Not that it's bad, just nothing special - Malty and earthy, very typical of Octoberfest brews.

T - Solid malt profile, very rich but not overpowering. Very subtle alcohol content lets you really taste this brew. Small amount of hops simply to balance the malt, and a very earthy finish. Aftertaste isn't great, but isn't strong either - think 'brown ale,' and that's it. If you can 'taste' fall, this is it.

M - Solid throughout, this one hangs around for a bit after you drink it. Nothing bitter or heavy about it though, just a nice nutty/oak finish, much like a brown ale.

D - Again, can't tell the alcohol content with this one. Nothing keeping you from drinking this beer all afternoon - it's fine alone and can be paired with almost anything - chips, burgers, steaks, chicken - you name it, it'll work.

The best of the seasonal brews from Mr. Adams, by far. (1,064 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured amber golden color with a small head. Nice smell with a caramel malty taste. This is a very drinkable Marzen and was a plesant surprise to find at a number of restaurants this past September - November. Even though I like Great Lakes or Old Dominion better I will look for this bear again this September. (311 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: A hazy orange amber. A finger width of head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Slightly sweet nothing major

Taste: Sweet malty taste. Some minor hops finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel with slight carbonation

Drinkability: Very drinkable and after two you can see the evolution of the beer's taste. (313 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

In my opinion, Octoberfest doesn't measure up to a lot of other Sam Adams beers. Granted that's still saying a lot about the beer in itself because it has a lot to compare to under the Sam Adams brand. With Summer Ale being my favorite, I guess Octoberfest does make that good transition to Winter Lager. Still, it's not the seasonal beer that I look forward to, but I still enjoy. (381 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

This is so far my favorite octoberfest. It's a good balance between malty and hoppy without being overly bitter. Great aroma and almost nutty / spicey flavor. It's not what I expected an octoberfest to be (this was my first one) but I decidedly liked it and would buy it again for sure. (286 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -2.7%

A- a very pretty burnt amber color with a slight off white creamy head of fluff
S-A very muted aroma of bread thats malty sweet with citrus overtones
T- Very pleasent but doesn't blow my socks off its has very malty sweet flavor that has some leamon mixed in and some very faint hops on the back end
M-Crisp and refreshing
D-goes down smooth makes me want another one. (369 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear amber-orange with thick foamy head that really lasts. Smells very dry, with notes of toast and spicy noble hops. Really don’t detect very much here. Light flavored Marzen overall. Slightly sweet caramel and toast. Minor spicy noble hop finish. Don’t really notice much biscuit, as expected for the style. Moderate carbonation, medium but thin body, fairly smooth and slightly dry finish. This may be the easiest drinking Marzen out there, but that doesn’t necessarily make it the best, as it is just slightly too light on flavor. (541 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -56.8%

Living in the Pacific NW and in the mood for a seasonal spirit to drink during Monday Night Football after a long day of work on this particularly blustery October night.

Disclaimer, I never buy Sam Adams, been drinking beer for about 6 years I've had and enjoy pretty much everything. The reason is simple. I like to buy local and living in Pac NW, this might as well just be puddle water.

S: Bottled, pour into a glass, no head
A: Beautiful copper tone
S: None, maybe I'm plugged up
Taste: Now here is where I have issue, there is none, a mild malt flavor and where are the spices as advertised?
M: Not creamy, not dry, not anything unfortunately, slightly sweet

Overall: The reason I haven't bought Sam Adams in all my beer drinking years is mostly pride. I think they are trying to mass market a craft product, because you know, all beer makers have a beard and love their job enthusiastically. Let this be another great East coast example of commercialization. I'm sure all you Chowd's over there love drinking this stuff... during the humid summer's maybe. Come on over to Portland and you will learn what craft beer is all about because this is a complete farce. (1,174 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -3.8%

(bottle - 12 oz) Rich hops and malt smell. Pours a rich coppery color with a thin but inviting looking head. Gives an instant sweet taste that goes down smooth and leaves very slight aftertaste. A good darker beer. Possibly one of the better American Oktoberfests you'll find on the market. Very good. (301 characters)

My personal favorite Sam Adam's beer, too bad its a seasonal. Beautiful dark, orange color. Smell is of rich malts and spices. Taste is full, yet mellow, slightly hoppy and very malty with some nice spices coming through. Very solid all around beer, will buy it again and again as long as it's in season. (304 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -15%

Had high hopes for this beer after pouring into a glass -- great color, clarity and smell. At first, it tasted exceptional with full bodied maltiness and good hop balance. But the aftertaste leaves a lot to be desired - somewhat astringent and overall unpleasant. I would not go out of my way to drink this again. (313 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%

Dark reddish brown color and a nice head. Mouth feel is a hit of carbonation, but a little thin. A hint of caramel malt and yeast, but not a great smell. The taste is a little sweet and bready in the front with a slighty hopped end. A decent Octoberfest. One of Sam's best beers. (279 characters)

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)