Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Reviews: 2,084 | Ratings: 7,207
3.87/5  rDev +5.7%

A-Clear amber/rust color, one finger white head. The appearence really makes you think of fall, which I guess is the point. A really good looking beer!

S-Biscuits right off the bat, followed by fall oriented scents like nutmeg and pumpkin pie. After taking some really big whiffs I feel like I'm laying in a big pile of leaves!

T-Medium bodied with average carbonation. The classic Marzen spices hit you right off the bat, there's also a surprising salty taste. Finishing very clean with a tad bit of alchohol.

M-Nothing really special here, a bit of carbonation when it first hits the palate, but finishes very silky and clean!

O-Overall one of the best non imperial octoberfests' that I've had, blows Leinenkugel's and Harpoon's versions out of the water. Might take a back seat to Dogtoberfest though...

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

Samuel Adams does it again! Picked this up as a single bottle at a liquor store, and I'm very glad I did! I'm drinking it now and it's a wonderful beer. I can taste the malt and caramel. This is truly one of my favorite beers and I love to have more!

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Off-white big-bubbled yet sticky head on a brownish tinted amber brew.

Smell: Sweet malty smell.

Taste: A nice round taste. No strong tastes that I can grab on to. Some hops that stay around for a few seconds in the aftertaste. Aftertaste has notes of corn, or rather that of corn-based snacks.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with rather low carbonation.

It's a pretty good beer. Nothing more, nothing less.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Great beer from SA! Love it. It's a nice change of pace from the Summer Ale. I really enjoy this beer. Has an amber color and with the 5.7% has a bit of a kick to it.

The color is very good, typical amber(fall colors). Nice to have when raking leaves as I did today...warms you up on a Fall day.

Enjoy!

3.59/5  rDev -1.9%

My brother recommended this to me as his favorite beer, and although it is good, it ain't all that special.

Like most beers of this type, malts dominate, and they are particularly spicey which is pleasing. The hops are more than a touch too subtle however, almost nonexistent as a matter of factor.

It strikes me as a great session beer if you are looking to do some crushing.

3.93/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance: Rich copper hue with Good Carbonation. Off white 1/4" that dissipated quickly. Clear Beer, to be expected.

Aroma: Sweet Raisins, Malty

Mouthfeel: Rich & heavy in the front and light & crisp in the finish.

Taste: Bread notes and Caramel, Little to no bitterness only enough to balance the beer out. Toasted malt maybe? Slighly sweet but well rounded malt.

Overall: This actually the beer that got me into loving octoberfest style beers. I love when September comes now. It's O-fest season...

2.36/5  rDev -35.5%

Since the cold air has arrived early and October is almost halfway through, I figured I'd better get in some seasonal beers. I drank this Octoberfest at the same time as another so I could sample the differences.

Poured from a 16.6 oz bottle. Little head of foam.

Color: deep copper. clear and clean appearance.

Nose: slight floral tones.

Taste: A little nutty with a slight bit of fruit.

Mouthfeel: not a whole lot there. Very smooth and creamy. Nice finish.

Drinkability: Very easy. Seem to me that this could be a session beer (I could be way off). I could have quite a few. There just didn't seem to be all that much there in this beer. I didn't find it very interesting. Drinkable not flavorful.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Serving: fridge temp bottle poured into standard pint glass (forgot to check date on bottle)

Appearance: Dark, rich Orange with some red. moderate pour produces a 1 finger off-white head that settles down to some persistent lace. Quite a bit of lacing.

Smell: Light toasted aroma, maybe some bread. A little light.

Taste: Malty overall, a little on the sweet side and not much toastiness. Pretty clean without much complexity.

Feel: Medium-light, not very creamy. Finish is dry and does not overstay its welcome.

Overall: A solid, and dare I say it, commercial version of the Oktoberfest. There are a good number of richer and arguably more flavorful Oktoberfests out there, but at 5.3%, what do you expect? This would be a good idea to pick up as a 12 pack for a football tailgate or something along those lines since many people would find this beer agreeable and nonoffensive. While I would definitely drink this again if someone offered it, I probably would not buy it for myself.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured amber golden color with a small head. Nice smell with a caramel malty taste. This is a very drinkable Marzen and was a plesant surprise to find at a number of restaurants this past September - November. Even though I like Great Lakes or Old Dominion better I will look for this bear again this September.

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%

A: Carmel colour. Nothing special.

S: Hint of pumpkin.

T: Honestly, kinda bland compared to other Octoberfests.

MF: Average mouthfeel with a bitter aftertaste.

D: I love most of Sam's brews, but I couldn't see myself drinking this all night, even in cool weather.

3.36/5  rDev -8.2%

A decent beer for autumn. i wouldnt be super anxious, waiting for this to come out every august through october but it's an average beer. kind of a red amber color but the appearance was my favorite part. go ahead and get a pack or two for your friend's halloween party.

4.11/5  rDev +12.3%

On tap, pint glass.

A - Almost as good as a beer can look. Rich, clear brown body with a tan 1-2 finger head. Very inviting.

S - If there's a weak point for this beer, I guess it has to be this. Not that it's bad, just nothing special - Malty and earthy, very typical of Octoberfest brews.

T - Solid malt profile, very rich but not overpowering. Very subtle alcohol content lets you really taste this brew. Small amount of hops simply to balance the malt, and a very earthy finish. Aftertaste isn't great, but isn't strong either - think 'brown ale,' and that's it. If you can 'taste' fall, this is it.

M - Solid throughout, this one hangs around for a bit after you drink it. Nothing bitter or heavy about it though, just a nice nutty/oak finish, much like a brown ale.

D - Again, can't tell the alcohol content with this one. Nothing keeping you from drinking this beer all afternoon - it's fine alone and can be paired with almost anything - chips, burgers, steaks, chicken - you name it, it'll work.

The best of the seasonal brews from Mr. Adams, by far.

3.46/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: A hazy orange amber. A finger width of head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Slightly sweet nothing major

Taste: Sweet malty taste. Some minor hops finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel with slight carbonation

Drinkability: Very drinkable and after two you can see the evolution of the beer's taste.

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

In my opinion, Octoberfest doesn't measure up to a lot of other Sam Adams beers. Granted that's still saying a lot about the beer in itself because it has a lot to compare to under the Sam Adams brand. With Summer Ale being my favorite, I guess Octoberfest does make that good transition to Winter Lager. Still, it's not the seasonal beer that I look forward to, but I still enjoy.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

This is so far my favorite octoberfest. It's a good balance between malty and hoppy without being overly bitter. Great aroma and almost nutty / spicey flavor. It's not what I expected an octoberfest to be (this was my first one) but I decidedly liked it and would buy it again for sure.

3.56/5  rDev -2.7%

A- a very pretty burnt amber color with a slight off white creamy head of fluff
S-A very muted aroma of bread thats malty sweet with citrus overtones
T- Very pleasent but doesn't blow my socks off its has very malty sweet flavor that has some leamon mixed in and some very faint hops on the back end
M-Crisp and refreshing
D-goes down smooth makes me want another one.

3.11/5  rDev -15%

Had high hopes for this beer after pouring into a glass -- great color, clarity and smell. At first, it tasted exceptional with full bodied maltiness and good hop balance. But the aftertaste leaves a lot to be desired - somewhat astringent and overall unpleasant. I would not go out of my way to drink this again.

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear amber-orange with thick foamy head that really lasts. Smells very dry, with notes of toast and spicy noble hops. Really don’t detect very much here. Light flavored Marzen overall. Slightly sweet caramel and toast. Minor spicy noble hop finish. Don’t really notice much biscuit, as expected for the style. Moderate carbonation, medium but thin body, fairly smooth and slightly dry finish. This may be the easiest drinking Marzen out there, but that doesn’t necessarily make it the best, as it is just slightly too light on flavor.

1.58/5  rDev -56.8%

Living in the Pacific NW and in the mood for a seasonal spirit to drink during Monday Night Football after a long day of work on this particularly blustery October night.

Disclaimer, I never buy Sam Adams, been drinking beer for about 6 years I've had and enjoy pretty much everything. The reason is simple. I like to buy local and living in Pac NW, this might as well just be puddle water.

S: Bottled, pour into a glass, no head
A: Beautiful copper tone
S: None, maybe I'm plugged up
Taste: Now here is where I have issue, there is none, a mild malt flavor and where are the spices as advertised?
M: Not creamy, not dry, not anything unfortunately, slightly sweet

Overall: The reason I haven't bought Sam Adams in all my beer drinking years is mostly pride. I think they are trying to mass market a craft product, because you know, all beer makers have a beard and love their job enthusiastically. Let this be another great East coast example of commercialization. I'm sure all you Chowd's over there love drinking this stuff... during the humid summer's maybe. Come on over to Portland and you will learn what craft beer is all about because this is a complete farce.

3.52/5  rDev -3.8%

(bottle - 12 oz) Rich hops and malt smell. Pours a rich coppery color with a thin but inviting looking head. Gives an instant sweet taste that goes down smooth and leaves very slight aftertaste. A good darker beer. Possibly one of the better American Oktoberfests you'll find on the market. Very good.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

after a long day working and screwin around the house, I needed a beer that cost over 15 dollars a case. bought a case of samuel adams octoberfest "cold" but the first one I opened was warma s hell. so I put it on ice for a half hour and poured one into a pilsner glass. Very nice color, a little darker which I liked. Taste is very nice and it looks tempting to drink fast but definately a thicker brew. Overall i liked it and will continue buying this seasonal beer from sam adams.

My personal favorite Sam Adam's beer, too bad its a seasonal. Beautiful dark, orange color. Smell is of rich malts and spices. Taste is full, yet mellow, slightly hoppy and very malty with some nice spices coming through. Very solid all around beer, will buy it again and again as long as it's in season.

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%

Dark reddish brown color and a nice head. Mouth feel is a hit of carbonation, but a little thin. A hint of caramel malt and yeast, but not a great smell. The taste is a little sweet and bready in the front with a slighty hopped end. A decent Octoberfest. One of Sam's best beers.

3.71/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Before we get started, allow me to admit that I have always held a grudge against Sam Adams up until now. This is a worthy enough beer to obtain positive feedback, despite my animosit towards the Boston brewery.

A- pretty decent looking beer here. Nice red color similar to the color of New Castl . Werewolf, with a much better head. Head isn't really much for conversation though... kindashy. Lacings not the best but what I would expect from Sam.

S- nice and sweat like an angelfood cake. Has some pumpkin in there with a lil ccinnamon and nutmeg. Really great smell for a fall beer but a wee bit counterproductive considering that this is labeled Oktoberfest. (Just because October is in the name doesn't mean we harvest crops for beer.)

T- regardless what the label says, this is a good tasting beer. Completely identicalto ssmell and very malty and nice and bready. Well balanced with some spice on the aftermath. Can't complain.

M- mouthfeel is a little heavy bodied but not too much considering the appearance. Between medium and heavy I guess. Chewy, but... just a smidge.

O- overall this beer deserves a try out. See for yourself that I AM right about this one. This will turn a micro-brewery junkies head in a heart beat.

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. brown bottle with no freshness date.

Not a whole lot of head, but some nice thin lacing that retained well. Color is very nice, a lot like autumn! Good malty aroma as well, with a slight hint of must.

Lots of sweet malt. Some herbal and fruity notes linger with some gentle hop spice.

Kind of dull, but enjoyable. A safe bet for a good fall brew, although I think Boston Beer Company can do better.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)