1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Reviews: 1914

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1851-1875 | 1876-1900 | 1901-1925  | next › last »
Ratings: 4,942 | Reviews: 1,914 | Show All Ratings:
chris11554

2.48/5  rDev -32.4%

I tried this beer at barbecue restaurant in midtown that just put it on draft and was very excited. Unfortunately I was unimpressed. It has a nice dark amber color but the aroma was bland. The taste wasn't bad but it also wasn't special at all or what I was expecting. Therer was no extra matliness or hoppiness. It was as if they took regular Sam Adams and put carmel coloring in it. It's an extremely drinkable beer and it goes down easy. A good everyday beer but definetely not a specialty beer in my opinion.

09-08-2006 10:58:11 | More by chris11554
dpd729

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

After a long day at work, I have decided to crack open my first Octoberfest for the year. I find the Octoberfest to be one of the top offerings from Samuel Adams every year.

I poured my 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - This beer has a gorgeous color. It is a dark burnt orange color that looks rich and tasty. The head is about 2 fingers but fades quickly to a lace which hugs the sides of the glass to the finish.

S - The smell is suprisingly a little thin. With such deep colors I was expecting a bit more pronounced smell. It is not bad, just not what I remember in the past.

T - This is an excellent beer in my opinion. It has a very malty taste with definite additions of caramel, moreso than in the past. There is virtually no taste of alcohol and the aftertaste is mild and pleasant.

M - Much like the smell, the mouthfeel is a little thinner than expected. This beer definitely drinks lighter than it looks. One thing I notice is that I do not taste and spice in the beer however I feel the distinct tingle from spiciness on my tongue.

D - The combination of the light body and excellent taste make this a very easy drinking beer. In fact, I think I will head to the fridge to grab another one right now.

10-11-2006 02:18:10 | More by dpd729
whiteangel1238

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

Went to Philly Beer Fests' Octoberfest last weekend. Out of all of them(Spaten, Paulaner, Otter Creek, Spaten, Hacker, Weyerbacher, etc.), this was the best. I guess particularly, this year's batch. It changes each year.

Robust Malty taste, but not too sweet. Level of carbonation staying power is very nice, for a malty Octoberfest. Nice bite to it. As opposed to a Spaten Octoberfest which is a brew that gets syrupy when room temp.

It's Appearance exactly what you look for in an Octoberfest- a nice dark orange, head lingers for about 10 minutes.

I can drink about 4 or 5, then Im full. This beer is probably close to 250 calories a bottle.

Great with bratwurst dishes in autumn

10-01-2008 19:22:00 | More by whiteangel1238
kmac101

4.7/5  rDev +28.1%

I drank Sam Adams Octoberfest in a 24oz bottle and also the 12 ounce bottle. I think that the 24 oz bottle was a lot more enjoyable and had a better finish to it.

Sam October has an impeccable smell which helps with the drinkability, this beer is hard to keep in my glass. I have tried a lot of different octoberfests because it is one of my favorite styles and I think that Sam's Octoberfest is exemplary. One of the best on the market.

Serving type: growler

09-15-2010 14:56:17 | More by kmac101
DaeHanL

4.45/5  rDev +21.3%

Served on Tap at most establishments in town this time of year.

Appearance: Pours a coppery-orange with little head. Head dissipates quickly into a very thin lacing.

Smell: A slight hint of caramel and a tiny bit of spice. Not a very fragrant brew.

Taste: very malty and a tad sweet. Sometimes i swear i can taste pumpkin spice.

Mouthfeel: very smooth with a medium-body. Doesn't leave a residue in your mouth once consumed.

Drinkability: Most of Sam Adams is over-rated in my opinion. In a city of excellent German-style Märzen, SA Octoberfest is still possibly my favorite. Great if you're in the mood to taste 1 beer, and also excellent if you're looking to toss several back.

Serving type: Pint Glass

09-16-2010 14:09:49 | More by DaeHanL
jeremyk00

Maryland

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

Initially there is a slight sweet malty presence that gives way to a medium bodied mouth feel carrying the malt throughout. All in all it is a very drinkable beer and not too heavy but in the same breath, its not so light that it loses character. It holds up as an Oktoberfest style beer without being overbearing.

08-26-2011 16:21:27 | More by jeremyk00
Swarp

Kentucky

3.78/5  rDev +3%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. 09/30/2011

A locust honey color,one finger,short lived head, minimal lacing.

S sweet faint herbal and earthy somewhat bready.

T sweet slightly fruity bready malt. A bit tinny at the end.

M medium bodied soomewhat chewy nice overall and very drinkable.

O Just getting started with marzen style and find this a very enjoyable beer. I will have another.

10-01-2011 03:17:03 | More by Swarp
csalley2

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Good Marzen! Kinda thick/chewy on the palate, but that's more interesting than bad. perfectly carbonated.
Rich, wheaty golden color, 2 to 3 finger head, no lace. head has a nice, gold tinged off white color.
the brew has a slightly sweet, heavily breaded taste. Some very mild, unidentifiable non-citrus fruit. maybe apricots or plumbs. mild spicing, fall spices. nutmeg? clove?
reminds me of fresh biscuits!
smell is a nice, sweet, very hoppy, inviting beer.
leaves a slightly 'off' aftertaste, nothing bad or off-putting, but just.. musky? don't exactly know how to describe it. nothing down-turning though!
in my opinion, best served very chilled.
I'd buy again! great presentation, great pour, great drink, okay/ good finish.

10-16-2011 00:20:44 | More by csalley2
WhiteyHesa

Georgia

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

First beer review, so let's see what I can do.

Serving type was bottle poured into glass. Pours a picturesque amber with a two to three finger off-white, tan head, with plenty of carbonation. Head dissipates after about a minute.

The smell was a bit nutty, with very mild notes of some kind of spice or floral scent that I can't quite pin down.

The taste has a fairly prominent "bready" quality that finishes with a bit of hoppiness.

Mouthfeel is pleasant, starting off smooth with a bit of carbonation and ending with a satisfying crispness.

Overall, an enjoyable beer and worth a try, but not something that I'm going to flip my lid over. That said, if Boston Beer Company does anything right, it's definitely the appearance of their beers. They're always a pleasure on the eyes.

Cheers.

10-19-2011 05:15:38 | More by WhiteyHesa
amightywind

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

The only issue I have with Samuel Adams seasonal beers is the
freshness, or often the lack thereof, and its pronounced effect on the product. Time takes the subtile edge off of these mass market/craft beers, particularly the aromatics and finish. I've had very good ones and poor ones. It is Beer O'Clock on Friday and my draft Octoberfest's appearance is deep and rich in its plain 20oz glass. It has a subdued head, as the draft seems well chilled. It has a smooth and pleasant caramel sweetness that turns slightly tannic bitter in the finish that does not linger. It is not dry. I find it a tad over hopped for the style, a tendency with Sam Adams. The taste flourishes at a cool temperature. Like most Sam Adams I find it to be a solid representation of the style and certainly worth drinking.

11-03-2011 00:06:22 | More by amightywind
DemonCarcass

4.28/5  rDev +16.6%

Bought this beer as a 6er because I'm on a quest to try as many Sam Adams beers as I can.

I didn't pour it (a no-no I know), but from the bottle it tastes pretty good. Really good in fact. This isn't my favorite beer, but it is a great beer and makes for a great fall/early winter beer.

Overall, I'd recommend at least giving it a try, not necessarily going to be everyone's favorite beer for sure, but at least worth a taste. I enjoyed it, it's a top tier for me.

12-02-2011 04:21:22 | More by DemonCarcass
Reidoon

Nevada

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I haven't had many lagers so I dont know what to compare it too, but I can say it is one of the few I like. It's a very very malty brew - a lot of people say they like it at barbeques and whatnot, but I actually like it when I'm drinking at home watching tv or playing games.

09-08-2013 07:51:58 | More by Reidoon
Rotisserie

4.64/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great aroma and a beautiful deep red-amber color. Subtle spice flavor. A very malty beer with very little bitterness. Found this to be a very smooth and easy drinking beer. Greatly enjoyed it. I have never really tried this style before and wasn't sure what to expect but this brew makes me want to seek out more Octoberfest/Oktoberfest brews to compare. One of my most favorites found so far! Would definitely have it again and recommend to others to try.

09-09-2013 13:29:30 | More by Rotisserie
RyanH

Georgia

3.59/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First, I like the brewery and I like the seasonal selections Samuel Adams offers. Biased, I am. Amber with a ruddy hint in color. Poured smooth but the head was smaller than I remembered in the past. The taste was better than most Octoberfest-type beers I've tried, though not the best. Good, but not the best. HOWEVER ... I happened to try this particular offering last Sunday for the 1st time this year. The wife prepared some pork chops with baked sweet potatoes. OMG. This Octoberfest paired with that meal, especially the sweet potatoes, was pure Nirvana. We immediately planned to have friends over in a few weeks just so we can entertain this Samuel Adams Octoberfest with the pork and sweet potato. It is Slap-Yo-Mama Good. Overall, the beer itself is good but what makes a beer is, IMHO, the meal it compliments. The point is the beer is good, but with the right meal, on the right day, THAT is what makes the experience. Look, the beer is above average. Enjoy it.

09-28-2013 00:35:35 | More by RyanH
« first ‹ prev | 1851-1875 | 1876-1900 | 1901-1925  | next › last »
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)