Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,700 | Reviews: 2,063

I first had Sam Adam's October Fest offering my sophomore year of college. It was a welcome change from all that Bud Light, let me tell you!

Pours a light copper color, perfect for autumn. Smells of carmel and malt. Taste is reminiscent of brown sugar, along with caramel and malt. Somewhat dry; begs for you to take another sip.

Overall, a fine brew to enjoy when the weather turns a bit cooler and when there's football on tv. Enjoy!

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

as oktoberfest brews are my favorite, this one is one of the better oktoberfests brewed in the u.s. that i've had. good amount of malt, as an oktoberfest should have. amount of bitterness from the hops is just right. mouthfeel is good. i could drink several of these in an afternoon without a problem.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

Oktoberfest is my favorite during this time of year.

I've never been too found of Sam Adams beers, but I hadn't tried their Oktoberfest before so I thought I'd give it chance. I expected more flavor and a fuller body. The body was weak and the toasty maltiness that a marzen should have just wasn't there. I think this would be more appropriatetly called Samuel Adams Octoberfest LIGHT. But it's still the best Sam Adams beer I've had.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

A: Pours a deep coppery color

S: Sweet and a hint of spices/pumpkin

T: I liked the taste from the get go. Smooth and flavorful with a hint of carmel and reminds me of thanksgiving.

M: crisp and well balanced for a seasonal brew.

D: Very pleasing and a great seasonal brew! I look forward to this every season and recommend an earlier release than waiting until it is towards it's end of shelf life. But I recommend that on all beers!

I like this better than most seasonal offerings with the exception of Shipyards pumpkin head. enjoy!

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

Very impressive beer. While it's not as sweet as a true Octoberfest, this is perfect for the American palate.

A= Beautiful. Golden brown intermingled with a lighter reddish brown. Terrific head and nice lacing.

S=Very pleasant fruity scent.

T= I would like a little more of the syrupy sweetness (if the beer had more of a flavor like its scent it would be just about perfect). It's still excellent. Hops are present but are not overpowering. Finally, a balanced beer.

M/D= Thicker than I expected, which was a nice surprise. It's a sipping beer, but you could put away a couple easily.

3.62/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served at 50 degree F.

Appearance: Nice dark amber coloring with slightly over 1 inch head

Smell: Great malty smell, hints of caramel and toast

Taste: As a true Marzan style beer, the malt speaks volume here. Also get an added caramel note or two. Okay bitterness. Easy drinking. Big positive for me is the pleasent aftertaste, which is oncommon for beers served at warmer temperatures

Mouthfeel: October's approaching, which means the beers are getting heavier and fuller. Medium bodied, decent bitterness. Definitely coats the mouth before going down. Very enjoyable

Overall: I am a huge Marzan fan, and an advocate for all types of fall beers. As far as Samuel Adam's Octoberfest goes, I find that it is the best Marzan for its value. Some German imports can tend to get pricy, and Sams Octoberfest sells for about a $1.66 a bottle.. Cheers!

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: A clear, dark copper body with one finger of somewhat lasting head that dissipated into a thin layer of foam. Decent lacing.

Smell: Sweet malt, caramel, roasty.

Taste: Follows nose very closely, roasty, malty, caramel. Next to no hops present, but far from being overly sweet.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy, yet very drinkable. This beer has moderate carbonation and no alcohol detectable on the palate.

Overall: There's nothing that I can say bad about this beer, yet not a whole lot that I am overwhelmed by. This is a highly drinkable, enjoyable beer that warrants multiples at a party or other get together. There is some amount of excitement surrounding this beer's release every year that can only be justified by it being the most readily available yet tasty example of this style.

4.21/5  rDev +14.7%

My personal favorite beer. Wonderfully balanced warm aroma that gently whiffs of the hop character. Beautiful slightly browned head, and a lovely amber color. The warmth of the malt followed by a smoothly bitter hop bite comes on nicely, and leaves only a slight aftertaste making you want more. Not too heavy, but definitely nowhere near what you'd call light. Perfect compliment to a meal, or to be consumed on it's own.

3.76/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Fantastic fun beer, one of my favorite seasonals from Sam Adams

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Good seasonal beer, I always pick up a twelve pack when October comes around.

yep I love this beer

4.02/5  rDev +9.5%

This is a VERY beer - very malty, very fruity, very sweet, and very good.

Pours to a red, amber color that resolves to a thin head, and there's definitely a lack of any head retention here. That's a shame.

Has a sweet, malty aroma, with a touch of caramel.

There's very little active carbonation here. It makes the beer appear almost flat. However, there is a distinct mouthfeel, and a long, lingering aftertaste - akin to just having had some good, sweet Chinese food, or a facefull of cotton candy, or the like... albeit laced with a touch of hops and malt.

But this is supposed to be an Oktoberfest Märzen. The problem is, the true Märzens that I've had in/from Munich taste and look nothing like this, or vice versa. Frankly, I'm not quite sure if this is really an Oktobefest Märzen at all, other than the fact that its a seasonal Fall beer and shares the namesake.

Still, I like it, and will buy it, and drink it. It's that good.

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

A- Poured a wonderful dark copper with a frothy and attractive off-white head.

S- Smell is layers of malt with caramel, toffee, and doughy notes dominating.

T & M - Sweet and bready malt notes are kept in check by hop bitterness. Hint of herbal hop flavor. Finishes with caramel and metallic? notes. Mouth feel was a little thin.

D- I really wanted more malt flavor in this lager. The whole experience seemed subdued. Past years were more impressive.

3.71/5  rDev +1.1%

Appearance: Pours a nice dark orange to copper color. Head pours to about 1/2" and has large bubbles, no creaminess. Dissipates to nothing in less than a minute. No lacing to speak of.

Smell: Not much there. I get hints of fruits but they are not strong enough to distinguish. No smell of alcohol. Smells very thin and light.

Taste: As anticipated very light and balanced. No overpowering hops or malts. Slight citrus to grassy taste. The malt combination is very nice and balanced. The finish is quite bold and holds most of the taste in this beer.

Mouthfeel: Kind of dry and carbonated. I feel very light carbonation on the tongue and the finish leaves me wanting more.

Drinkability: Very easy drinking. Nice beer for a fall day. Nothing overpowering just a smooth, light taste representative of a nice cool autumn day. I like this beer and I am not a huge Sam Adams fan. I would drink this again and will probably go buy another sixer after I finish this one.

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

after a long day working and screwin around the house, I needed a beer that cost over 15 dollars a case. bought a case of samuel adams octoberfest "cold" but the first one I opened was warma s hell. so I put it on ice for a half hour and poured one into a pilsner glass. Very nice color, a little darker which I liked. Taste is very nice and it looks tempting to drink fast but definately a thicker brew. Overall i liked it and will continue buying this seasonal beer from sam adams.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

I experienced this beer via 12oz. bottle poured into a pub style pint glass.

Great inital off-white head which faded rather quickly into a thin pad...about what I was expecting. The overall appearence of the beer was exceptionally inviting though. Great clear vibrant burnt orange/ deep amber color with copper tones. After a few sips, I found only minimal tracing in the glass. Warm toasty malt aroma with hints of caramel and toffee. I also picked up subtle floral hop notes. Slightly warm malty flavor with a trace of residual sweetness which is well balanced by a moderate floral hop biterness. Medium richness maintains carbonation on the palate, and is quite fulfilling. Overall, this beer is very drinkable; from the initial pleasant floral bouqet to the warm, satisfying, yet clean finish, this beer meets the style well. I may have another...

4.51/5  rDev +22.9%

Nice dark orange color with a good head that dissapears into a very very ring.

Smells great. Sweet, very small amount of hops and slightly alcoholic. The alcohol smell is very good, almost like a fine liquor as it warms. To tell you the truth this might be the best smelling alcohol esters I have ever smelled.

Taste is phenominal. Sweet, bready, caramel goodness with just a touch of hops. Oh and of course the alcohol from the smell loses none of its deliciousness.

3.56/5  rDev -3%

Sight: Poured into a pint glass, this beer is deep amber, almost orange. Head is slight and disappears quickly.

Smell: Sweet and malty, but it's not strong. This is certainly not going to be a swing-for-the-fences honest-to-god Marzen. It is pleasant, however.

Taste: Delicious maltiness, tinged with a little bitter hops at the end. Aftertaste lingers for a few seconds and is malty. Not a powerful taste, will disappoint if you're looking for a hearty brew. It was too cold when I began drinking. After warming up the beer released some gentle spiciness; notes of cinnamon.

Mouthfeel: A bit too carbonated, but highly drinkable. Again, not the fullest of beers, drank three and was extremely happy as well as satiated.

Overall: This used to be my favorite beer. Along with Fat Tire and Young's Double Chocolate, it was my intro to beer. Will always buy a six pack when I'm looking for something familiar, inexpensive, and moderately filling -- not to mention tasty. One of the better Sam Adam's out there.

3.66/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

Appearance: Really nice deep amber color. It has a nice thick white head, which stays around for a few minutes. Overall, a very nice appearance.

Smell: Nice mix of sweet and malty. Seem pretty well balanced.

Taste: This beer has a really nice flavor. The sweetness dominates the initial sip. It also has nice malty flavor towards the end. There's also some caramel flavor in here.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is perfect for this style. It gets a little tacky/sticky after a few sips. Not bad though.

Drinkability: This beer has pretty good drinkability. Nothing too harsh, but the sweetness kind of limits it for my taste.

3.26/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Very pretty beer. A deep fall-leaf orange, off-white head, minimal lacing on glass.

Smell: Not a very deep aroma. Malt, bread.

Taste: This is not a very flavorful beer at all. I've started to pick up more fruity flavors as I've drank more of this, but it is still not too interesting - kind of an undefined fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, not over-carbonated. The lightness is very pleasant actually.

Overall: This is a pleasant beer that will remind you of the season, but it does not have the flavor to back it up in repeated drinking.

3.2/5  rDev -12.8%

nothing to special here, i know some people go crazy for this beer. Its decent as oktoberfests go. One thing about it is it has this slight fizzy..or something taste to it. I don't know, but besides that its pretty ordinary. Its easy to drink, there arn't any overbearing tastes. Just a general oktoberfest beer taste, i perfer harpoons.

Regardless of everything else the problem here is the HUGE diacetyl presence. Had a sixtel of this on at my house for about 2 weeks and really tried to get around it but could not. returned it for a keg of Ramstein O'fest and this is much better. A friend had the smae issue and the 2 places in the area I tried it on tap it was the same way. Not nearly as noticeable in bottles. Question is...is this lack of quality control at certain brewing sites? I believe they are brewing in the Lehigh Valley now at the old Rolling Rock place but not sure. This is the second year in a row where the diacetly presence has been overwhelming, a shame because this used to be one of my favorite seasonals from them.

12oz. bottle poured into pint glass

A-poured a dark orange amber color with a thin cream colored head that faded fast.

S-malt and roasted grain.

T-very malty and roasty, not very hoppy,with toffee hints.very tasty beer.

M-a real in your face feel.it lets you know it's there.

D-Easy to drink.I recommend this beer to anyone and everyone.

4.17/5  rDev +13.6%

I had this on tap at a local Richmond Oktoberfest. Having had this out of the bottle a few times I never cease to be impressed with the malty flavor that comes through. Great copper color, poured with a two finger head that had good staying power. On tap the hop aroma (Saaz) I'm guessing really hits the nose nicely.

Oktoberfest and Maerzen are my favorite styles of beer and this is a very good one.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)