Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,000 | Hads: 6,718

I've been drinking Sam Adams Octoberfest for five seasons now, and it never disappoints. With its auburn color and thin head it looks tasty in a chilled mug(my dad's trusty Stroh's mug to be exact.)

It smells hoppy, with hints of various spices. Taste-wise it hits the the tongue and you get a tangy pinch on the taste buds. Malts, hops, and various autumn spices create a refreshing experience. It's not a heavy beer, so they go down smooth. The colder the better.

For me, Sam Adams Octoberfest is a fall tradition, like Halloween and the changing of the leaves. Without it autumn wouldn't be the same. (605 characters)

3.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: pours a clear copper orange with a 1/2" off white head that fades after a few seconds
S: very faint bits of banana and cloves; definite german noble hop (slightly floral) aroma with a nice malt background
T: subtle...the malts play a nice game here (nutty, hints of sweetness) but in my opinion the hops are the all-stars of this beer...the floral quality really shines. the finish has a tiny bit of alcohol that you can barely make out.
M: medium carbonation with light to medium body; very smooth overall.
D: this is a very drinkable beer, definately something i could see myself enjoying a few in an evening. sam adams has always made very nice interpretations of traditional european styles and this beer is no exception. (729 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +14.2%

A: nice dark copper amber, wonderful head.

S: little bit of malt with the slightest hint of yeast.

T: very smooth with a slight metallic bitterness, with a sweetness somewhere between caramel and maybe mesquite honey.

M: starts watery, builds to a nice light creamy, and ends with a refreshing froth in the tongue.

D: very easy to drink, but with enough flavour to stay interesting and not cause boredom of the tongue. nice and refreshing and always a treat to see every fall. (480 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +14.8%

Bought a case of bottles at Costco. Let them chill overnight, and drank straight from teh 12 oz bottle the next day. Nice malty and carmel sweetness, with a semi thick mouth feel. Very nice combinations of flavors. One of my favorite limited releases from Sam Adams, and I always try to find a case or two when they come out.
Scott (331 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Bought a case of this after having it at a local bar.

I'm starting to like Sam Adams more and more. They have so many different types and styles that you can find something you enjoy.

Appearance was a nice orange/brown color with a nice off-white head with decent lacing.

Taste like a good German lager with nice sweet malty characteristics and a little hops present but not much. A little bit of spices coming through.

Very drinkable and definitely a good fall beer. (471 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Oh fall on Cape Cod..
A little nostalgia here, as Sam Adams was really my first craft experience, and it's my favorite time of year.

Poured 12oz bottle from a 6er in to pint glass

Poured a transparent amber with a generous 2 finger head that faded fast. Smells of bready malt with some earth tones. Taste is much like smell, picking up on some caramel. Good carbonation making the mouth a little dry and leaving an aftertaste of malt.

Drinkability? Will I have another? Of course! Like I said, it's that time of year.

Not at all a bad Octoberfest, not at all the best I've had. (583 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance: A reddish/orange color. Has a nice thick white head with good retention.

Smell: Malty aroma with a lot of caramel and spice

Taste: A nice mixture of malts and sweetness with a kind of dough like aftertaste. Tastes like fall

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and creamy.

Drinkability: Goes down easy. Very well crafted. (327 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +26.5%

One of my favorite beers. I love the arrival of fall so that I can grab a 24 of Octoberfest.

It pours a beautiful amber color with a small short lasting cream colored head.

The smell is very malty with a sweet overtone that doesn't last long because I drink the first one far too quickly.

This beer is very much of the Marzen type, very little hop in the smell but it can be tasted with no real bitterness. The test is not quite sweet and very deep.

Very easy to drink, and very very tasty. I love this beer. (513 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

This is my first review, and I'm coming from drinking the good 'ol shitty American macro brews!! With that said there is a huge difference in smell, taste, mouth feel, etc.

Smell to me is sweeter (spices) with a hint of bread dough, I assume this is a roasted malt smell.

Taste, well there is a lot more than the macros. Not being able to separate the individual characteristics I would say caramel/tofee malts upfront then a very slight hop bitter.

Mouthfeel is a little "heavier" than the macros but still smooth and easy going down just enough carbonation.

Drinkability, this is the first beer I've had that I can sip, chug, actually enjoy without feeling like I have to force down the last half off the bottle.
Update - After over a year of trying craft and macro micro brews this still remains my favorite. I can drink this after mowing the yard, playing cards, watching football, playing darts, you name it this beer works. (935 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a nice caramel color with a tan head which dissipates after a minute or two. No lacing left on my glass. Like others, I couldn't quite place the taste I was getting and I think buttery is a good description. A sharp malty taste with little hop flavor. Definitely drinkable, but not session-able as the aftertaste hangs around a little too long. I almost like the sweet malty smell better than the taste. (409 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

This is a very good Octoberfest beer. I usually can't wait for it to come out each year.

Copper color with a 2 finger head with weak lace.

The aroma is a good malt, carmalized sugar and herbs. Somewhat earthy.

The taste is light toasty and cinnamon. Very enjoyable beer.

Serving type: bottle (297 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +27.9%

Everyone I know knows that I am a huge nerd for Sam Adams beer and an even bigger one for their Octoberfest. I wait for it every year and jump up and down like a schoolgirl seeing Justin Beiber when I see the first case in the store. It's like finding a super rare card in a back of baseball cards when I find my first SA Octoberfest.

That all being said, I am going to try, TRY to rate this objectively.

When poured it has an absolutely stunning deep orange/red color into the traditional Sam Adams glass. Decent head, even if it is gone too quickly and good lacing on the glass. The dry notes in the back are a perfect counter to the malt taste in the front and the spice in the middle. Aroma is mild but not to the point of non-existence, and the bouquet of fall season comes out the more the beer is sloshed around in the glass. A wonderful flowery note on the top of the aroma. The carbonation is high, but the beer is pretty full bodied so it doesn't make the beer too soda-y. I have had a ton of Octoberfests over the last few years, and yet every year this is the one that defines the season for me. A wonderful, wonderful beer. (1,139 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Upon opening the Samuel Adams Octoberfest, I poured the beer into a tulip glass to maximize the aroma of the beer, and allow me to examine the color. It appeared quite red but remarkably clear with a thick tan head that looked almost perfect.

Aroma was that of bittersweet balance, the maltiness commingled with the aroma hops to make your nose want to drink this beer.

Taste was incredibly well balanced, a wash of sweet pale malt and dark caramel malts, which balanced well with what seemed to be a moderate mix of noble hops, and what I think were hallertau hops. The two played off each other to make one of the best balanced beers I could have imagined.

Feeling the beer in your mouth was a delight, light, carbonated to perfection with enough substance to really deliver the flavor.

Overall I loved this beer, it is by far one of my favorite Oktoberfest styles. (871 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

A- Copper color had with the pour then dissapates within a few minutes. Decent lacing for this style of beer.

S- Nice bready malty roasty smell.

T- Nice clean crisp refreshing octoberfest, again smell and taste coincide pretty closely.

M - Crisp and light bodied.

D- Very refreshing light bodied oktoberfest,one of the better seasonals I've had this far from Sam Adams. Very Drinkable. (390 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

It's like why is Ashton Kutcher not an Armani Model like Beckham or Cristiano Ronaldo.

This beer is more like a fruit of the loom model, although Shiner's is not as depressive, I would say Warsteiner held its superiority in this contest. Their Imperial Series (S.A.) is excellent because it is so powerful, like a Vogue magazine cover that peasant women will never be on. (373 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -6.6%

This beer poured an amber/copper color with little to no head and very little lacing. Very little carbonation. The smell was of caramel, orange peel. Hops were present to balance out the malts. It went down smooth, but a bit watered down. A little carbonation feel on the tongue and with a bitter aftertaste. It goes pretty good with the Autumn weather up here in New England. (376 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours amber-orange with a foamy white head that lasts a bit. Smells like spices...maybe a little cinnamon. A little more carbonated than I like, but I can taste the spices...allspice, nutmeg maybe? It's not very sweet, though the bottle says it has a blend of 5 malts. The taste is very balanced and mild--not too sweet, not too hoppy, but it does have flavor. Mildly bitter on the finish, virtually no aftertaste.

Overall, not my favorite Octoberfest beer, but a great one to use to introduce friends to the style. I could knock down a few with a sweet potato pie and some ice cream, but that wouldn't be good for my waistline. (629 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fall just isn't the same without this beer.

There's nothing overpowering about Octoberfest -- it's just nice, smooth and malty. It pours out a beautiful dark amber, and while it doesn't have a very strong bouquet its overall flavor is rewarding. It's perfect for the season, and I try to catch it on tap and in bottles every fall. (332 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was the beer that made me love Samuel Adams beer, caramel and toffee malt dominate the body, with a little hop aroma. Dark orange color, and very sweet flavor. Probably not the best Octoberfest, however, generally a very good fall beer, and probably Sam Adams' best seasonal beer. (285 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -44.5%

I was not impressed by this beer at all. Unfortunately, the beer distributor was closed so I had to go to 7/11. I saw sams octoberfest and decided it was the most appealing beer in the fridge so I thought I would give it a shot.

It smells like a bud light and doesn't taste much different. The taste is flat, bitter, and just does not go down well. It is tasteless to tell the truth. I guess I am becoming a beer snob because this beer is straight up bmc to me now. I had a sierra nevada before this and the SN was leaps and bounds ahead of this. It is just not tasty, it is dry and leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't like this beer and wouldn't buy it again. (667 characters)

Sam Adams Octoberfest is the perfect beer for Autumn for me. Its a very well crafted beer in my opinion. I've had Sam's Octoberfest mostly in bottles or on tap. There's not too much of a difference between the two but on tap is better. I'd like to try the can soon but not really in a rush to. For me, Sam Adams Octoberfest is one of the few beers I get excited for when its released in "season". So much I like to buy in bulk and store it for months after when its Alpline Spring time or even Summer Ale of the next year.
Appearance-wise it has a golden brown color to it when poured. Almost like if they were to blend Autumn leaves into their beer. Very distinctive and easy to spot for me. Just a good sign my favorite season of Fall is around the corner.
Smell-wise it has a very malty German lager smell to it. Very malty and sweet with a hint of bitterness to it. Very well balanced.
Taste-wise Sam's Octoberfest has a lot of German influences in it. Full, malty, ecstatic for the taste buds, and with a hint of bitterness. To me just a perfect beer that tastes great and goes down very smoothly.
In the mouth its very refreshing and malty with a hint of bitterness while leaving you wanting more. Very smooth and full.
Overall Sam Adams Octoberfest is one of my top 5 beers. Its not for everyone but it will always be a favorite of mine and god help it if it stays in my fridge. (1,387 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This was part of the Fall seasonal variety pack at a wholesaler (yay for fall beer styles!). I had high expectations for this beer because of the brand and prior experience. Sam Adams Octoberfest did not disappoint!

A - poured from the bottle with a very tiny head, maybe 1-2 cm at most. The color is just gorgeous, a brown similar to that of Jack Daniel's whiskey.

S - a complex smell that seems to have a little "more" than other oktoberfests. There is everything that I expected from a traditional oktoberfests but with an increased sweetness and spiciness that differentiates it from other beers. Just taking a whiff of this makes me want to down the whole thing!

T - that spice noted in the smell comes through in the taste, as do the hops. There is a hint of sweetness similar to caramel which brings a nice balance to it.

M - this is a full bodied beer that is perfect for the Fall's colder weather. There is a very satisfying feeling of drinking something substantial and hearty.

O - great beer to enjoy during the fall. I would recommend picking up the Sam Adams variety pack at wholesaler; you can't beat the price. $1.05 or so for each bottle, including this wonderful brew, is a great price and well worth every cent. (1,235 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

A few Sam Adams beers really stand out to me. The traditional lager is pretty good. Old Fezziwig is inexplicably one of my favorites. I sometimes really want the Boston Ale. However, when September rolls around my German side (25%) overpowers all that and insists that I glug down as much of the Octoberfest (spelled wrong, it's got a 'K' people!) as I can get. I'm not a big fan of the characteristic Sam Adams carbonation scheme so I'm knocking it on mouthfeel. However, I love the color and the taste is solid, particularly on tap. It doesn't hold up to real German Oktoberfests but I still respect Sam Adams and love this beer. (631 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -17.2%

2009 version. Very nice looking copper/gold with tanish head, clear and clean. Mild aroma of malt. Tastes more
nutty than the malty sweet I would expect from a Marzen/Okto. Also very dry, to dry for my liking. Mouthfeel is good close to what I would expect for the style. Drinkabilty is poor, I wouldn't want more than one in a row. (332 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +5.5%

Picked up a 12 pack for a song and couldn't wait to try it.

Poured out a beautiful dark amber color, has a nice head on it that dissipated and left a light lacing as I drank.

I couldn't detect much of a smell, which I found unusual. I agitated it a bit and some nice, faint sweet odors wafted up.

The taste was sweet and spicy, very refreshing. a very pleasant aftertaste that just made me want to drink more.

Very light carbonation that didn't assault my palate, very smooth with a creamy finish.

This is a VERY drinkable beer. I could see myself standing around drinknig a number of these as the day wore on...in fact I might just do that. (661 characters)

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)