Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

Ace_walker, Thursday at 05:45 AM

Super_P34, Aug 17, 2014

frommination, Aug 14, 2014

I always look forward to picking this up when it becomes offered on shelves. I drink so much of it through the fall that it somewhat gets tiring, but it is a great beer and one of the best Octoberfest beers out there. I love the carmel and malt flavors.

JordanRicbart, Wednesday at 06:59 PM
4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

AaronAlghawi, Aug 25, 2014

BeerBandit, Aug 02, 2014
4.68/5  rDev +27.5%

One of my favorite beers. I love the arrival of fall so that I can grab a 24 of Octoberfest.

It pours a beautiful amber color with a small short lasting cream colored head.

The smell is very malty with a sweet overtone that doesn't last long because I drink the first one far too quickly.

This beer is very much of the Marzen type, very little hop in the smell but it can be tasted with no real bitterness. The test is not quite sweet and very deep.

Very easy to drink, and very very tasty. I love this beer.

simskl, Sep 08, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +15%

Bought a case of bottles at Costco. Let them chill overnight, and drank straight from teh 12 oz bottle the next day. Nice malty and carmel sweetness, with a semi thick mouth feel. Very nice combinations of flavors. One of my favorite limited releases from Sam Adams, and I always try to find a case or two when they come out.
Scott

poriggity, Sep 29, 2009

oogenesis, May 20, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

This is my first review, and I'm coming from drinking the good 'ol shitty American macro brews!! With that said there is a huge difference in smell, taste, mouth feel, etc.

Smell to me is sweeter (spices) with a hint of bread dough, I assume this is a roasted malt smell.

Taste, well there is a lot more than the macros. Not being able to separate the individual characteristics I would say caramel/tofee malts upfront then a very slight hop bitter.

Mouthfeel is a little "heavier" than the macros but still smooth and easy going down just enough carbonation.

Drinkability, this is the first beer I've had that I can sip, chug, actually enjoy without feeling like I have to force down the last half off the bottle.
Update - After over a year of trying craft and macro micro brews this still remains my favorite. I can drink this after mowing the yard, playing cards, watching football, playing darts, you name it this beer works.

bolus14, Sep 21, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -6%

Pours a nice caramel color with a tan head which dissipates after a minute or two. No lacing left on my glass. Like others, I couldn't quite place the taste I was getting and I think buttery is a good description. A sharp malty taste with little hop flavor. Definitely drinkable, but not session-able as the aftertaste hangs around a little too long. I almost like the sweet malty smell better than the taste.

ChuckR343, Sep 10, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +34.3%

Call me a sucker for a mass produced Octoberfest, but this brew is awesome! Great color, great malt nose and flavor. This brew is a favorite among malt heads. Spaten is drier, Ayinger is malty yet one dimensional. Sam Adams seems to hit on all cylinders. I buy this beer and cellar it throughout the year. "Never leave home without it!!!!"

sb3000, Nov 03, 2009

rterry13, Aug 18, 2014
4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

This is a very good Octoberfest beer. I usually can't wait for it to come out each year.

Copper color with a 2 finger head with weak lace.

The aroma is a good malt, carmalized sugar and herbs. Somewhat earthy.

The taste is light toasty and cinnamon. Very enjoyable beer.

slickmick22, Nov 25, 2009
4.73/5  rDev +28.9%

Everyone I know knows that I am a huge nerd for Sam Adams beer and an even bigger one for their Octoberfest. I wait for it every year and jump up and down like a schoolgirl seeing Justin Beiber when I see the first case in the store. It's like finding a super rare card in a back of baseball cards when I find my first SA Octoberfest.

That all being said, I am going to try, TRY to rate this objectively.

When poured it has an absolutely stunning deep orange/red color into the traditional Sam Adams glass. Decent head, even if it is gone too quickly and good lacing on the glass. The dry notes in the back are a perfect counter to the malt taste in the front and the spice in the middle. Aroma is mild but not to the point of non-existence, and the bouquet of fall season comes out the more the beer is sloshed around in the glass. A wonderful flowery note on the top of the aroma. The carbonation is high, but the beer is pretty full bodied so it doesn't make the beer too soda-y. I have had a ton of Octoberfests over the last few years, and yet every year this is the one that defines the season for me. A wonderful, wonderful beer.

chrisjduncan, Sep 11, 2012
3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Copper color had with the pour then dissapates within a few minutes. Decent lacing for this style of beer.

S- Nice bready malty roasty smell.

T- Nice clean crisp refreshing octoberfest, again smell and taste coincide pretty closely.

M - Crisp and light bodied.

D- Very refreshing light bodied oktoberfest,one of the better seasonals I've had this far from Sam Adams. Very Drinkable.

NickTsU, Nov 20, 2010

eribo, Aug 10, 2012

kaseiryu, Nov 01, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

thadbikes, Nov 28, 2012

IrishEyes, Aug 24, 2012
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)