Samuel Adams Summer Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Summer AleSamuel Adams Summer Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-09-2001

An American Wheat, brewed with malted wheat, lemon zest and grains of paradise - a rare pepper from Africa first used as a brewing spice in the 13th Century to create a crisp and spicy flavor and body.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Summer Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,606 | Hads: 5,183

I really enjoyed this one. Ever since i was 18, i was like, when i drink, i want to try SA summer ale. I did on my 21st birthday. Not gonna go into lacing or anything of the sort as i don't really know how to review in that way. I drank this ale straight from the bottle. Has some hoppy and citrusy flavor. medium/ light body. Great for what its meant to be. A beer for the summer. All i know is when i worked unloading trucks, on the weekend, and going to the lake, having these was so refreshing and its just a great easy drinking ale. I rate it a 5 out of 5. Considering this was my first beer, it will always be special to me.

Sampled from the bottle ice cold.Not new to reviewing.
Smell is very citrusy and wheat like. It smells pretty good for a ale.
Look was only in the bottle. its hazy. From what i could see in the bottle it retains a head, for most of the drink.
Taste is what i like the most about this one. Very sweat. You can taste the grains of paradise, if you are attuned to pepper flavors. hast a spicy zest through the sip. I Had this and blue moon Belgian white, they are about the same with one definitive difference. Blue Moon has no spicy kick to it, and has very little after taste. This lingers around with a citrus taste and ends with a bitter finish. Very complex little seasonal beer. Would have again. Would be my summer drink.

4.95/5  rDev +46.9%

This is buy far the best summer beer ever made. It has a dark golden color, a shade or two lighter than an amber color. It has a wonderful feel as it touches your tongue. Not to much carbon in there to give it a soda like feel some american beers will have. I like the slight hint of lemon. You should have this at a cook out, goes very well with burgers and dogs. Or have it just loafing around the house on a hot day.

If you like Bass Ale, you will like this for sure.

4.92/5  rDev +46%

Ok, well I've seen most reviews out and about giving this ale an average of a B-.. This is not acceptable! This ale achieves a great complexity of taste and yet such simplicity in drinkability that I do not understand why this ale is rated a somewhat above average B-! Summer Ales are meant to be drinkable, but with this much flavor?? Wow! Where to start? Ill Opt to not.. This is a great Ale! Enjoy the grains of paradise!!

4.83/5  rDev +43.3%

A- This beer is a magical gold, not yellow, thick, beautiful gold.

S- Exceptional, not too strong, with a nice hop smell with a slight hint of lemon and maybe a little floral? (hard to describe)

T- This is my favorite Summar Ale by far. I was expecting a good beer, but got a great beer. Nice. You can taste the hops and spices nicely. Full of flavor.

M- Once again, nice.

D- Goes soen easy, not a filling as adrks beers so drinking a lot of these would be pretty easy.

4.8/5  rDev +42.4%

MMM, this is tasty out of the tap.

It's a cloudy, darker golden yellowish color with a pretty decent head on it, probably at least a finger, maybe close to two. Not super thick, but a bit of creaminess to it.

Smells great. Not very overpowering...but a light smell of citrusy beerness. Very appetizing. Makes me want to drink it even more.

Tastes as good as it smells. Has a light, smooth, maybe even slightly lemony taste to it. Very consistent throughout its taste. A good, yet not overpowering flavor. I love it.

Mouthfeel...nice and even...not super heavy, but not watery thin either. Considering it is a pretty easy drinking beer I think it feels fairly substantial on the palate. Enough carbonation, but not too much.

Drinkability...for me this bridges the gap between what I consider "good" beers (small craft stuff, although I guess Sam is kinda big compared to most crafters) and the Buds of the world. I like crafts because they are interesting....different...etc. and I like bud, miller, etc. when rocking out for long periods of a time...I can both enjoy the taste and drink this stuff for a long period of time. I think this stuff is aces.

Note-it's better on tap if you ask me. I've had it outta the bottle, and it is not as good.

4.8/5  rDev +42.4%

What an excellent beer! It tastes crazy! It reminds me of an exotic fruit. It makes a figure 8 on your tongue.
The appearance is nothing special.
The smell was great.
It had a slight grain, like a Warsteiner but it didn't float to the roof of my mouth and go down the back of my throat like Warsteiner does.

It tasted like peach and tires but without the bitterness.

4.79/5  rDev +42.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Sam Summer. So I’m reviewing it as such. An ale for the heat. So what may not be appreciated year-round is much appreciated on a summer eve. The color is sunshine. The taste is crisp with a lemony wash, which I actually enhance, with a slice of lemon. Like I said, this is a summer thing, and not something I’d be doing with a brown ale, or any other ale, for that matter. It’s best on tap, served as cold as can be. Best drunk outside. With the sea in the foreground and summer music iin the background. Maybe Isley Brothers. Summer Breeze. Ah, just right. Not too hoppy and not dark at all. Honestly, I haven’t found a better summer beer. And I’ve tried.

4.7/5  rDev +39.5%

Just released for 2006 this summer ale was poured from a bottle into an imperial pint glass

A- dark gold color with a huge white head from an agressive pour

S- some lemon and other citrus smells very refreshing

T- perfect is the word here some complexity, but balanced and with some crispness in the finish

M- light but not at all watery this is what I expected and wanted from this style

D- so so drinkable. This may be all I drink until the fall seasonals arive, that is how wonderfully refreshing this triumph from the boston beer company is.

I did not think that a SA got better than the boston lager. I was wrong, this is my favorite of a generally great line of beers.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased in the standard Samuel Adams bottle. Poured to a goblet. Medium-golden color and minimal head. Extreme aroma of lemon. The lemon smell really came through with this beer and it was exceptional. It felt wonderful around the mouth and went down extremely smooth. It was extremely light-bodied and reminded me of a good pinot grigio. Definitely something I could drink regularly and something I would recommend to anyone wanting something easy to find, cheap, and very good.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at T-Bones Roadhouse in Plymouth
22oz is the standard at T-Bones Roadhouse

Poured from tap (decline the lemon garnish)
pours a beautiful hazy golden color. no head here they fill the mug to the rim...
Smells of citrus and spice ..not overpowering
Lemon zest and a crisp bite taste as it washes the palette full body.
very smooth beer, can drink endless amounts on a hot summer day/evening.

This is one of my summer favorites and it goes well with a bbq

I wish bartenders would stop putting lemon on the rim when this is ordered. ASK first

4.68/5  rDev +38.9%

After my initial experiences with the bottled version, I was quite pleased to find out my local Red Robin had this on tap. The server brought it out in a 22oz mug, color was clear yellow, with a strong (if somewhat small) head that somehow managed to last the entire beer. Scent was yeasty, citric, and slightly hoppy, with just a hint of spiciness underneath. Taste was very yeasty, much more so than the bottled version, with a bit of hops, just a hint of the grains of paradise, and a nice lemony zest serving to balance everything out. Mouthfeel was clean and crisp, very refreshing. Drinkability was very good, almost deceptively so. It would seem that I need to start trying summer ales now, having this one on tap sealed the deal for me.

4.57/5  rDev +35.6%

Grains of Paradise? What are they? I don't know. Put them in a beer and the results are amazing. Each and every year I wait for this brew. Each and every year it is somewhat different and somehow better. Great in the bottle, better on draft. Excellent choice for mowing the lawn, or just being lazy on the porch.

4.54/5  rDev +34.7%

Appearance: Clear golden beer very light white froathy head

Smell: This beer smells great, has the smell of a white ale. very floral and clean, hops and caramel

Taste: Great clean white ale taste good hop flavor floral like the smell.

Mouthfeel: This beer has good carbonation, not thick but is refreshing just like a summer ale should be

Drinkablity: this beer is very drinkable perfect in the heat, I love this beer like all sam adams

4.5/5  rDev +33.5%

The aroma of this brew smelled spicy and citrusy at the same times which is Samuel Adams trademark with some of their brews in my opinion. This was something right away that would be refreshing for the summer months.

Taste again was very refreshing I get more citrus taste then the spiciness that they mention, while the mouthfeel is crisp and very light on the pallet.

Overall just by its pale almost straw appearance this beer will help cool you off as well provide something light on the pallet. I recommend this brew as one of those beers that you should have wioth light food or just to sit outside on your patio and drink.

4.48/5  rDev +32.9%

This is my second review of this beer, which is a first for me. The more I drink it the better I like it.
Temp is 91 outside, lost power and sat on the patio having my own personal session, waiting on the AEP to get the air back on, but in the meantime it really doesn't get much better!
This is another SA that I really enjoy!

4.47/5  rDev +32.6%

Great beer. It has a lightly citrus smell and light appearence for Sams. The taste is outstanding and the aftertaste is good. It pours nicely with a light head. The hint of citrus is just enough to give that summer feel and not take away from the beer itself. Good job!
Happy Drinking!

4.47/5  rDev +32.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer mug.

Appearance: Beer is a cloudy golden/straw color, with lots of bubbles. Head is nice and foamy with good consistency.

Smell: Nice and crisp; fresh. Moderate lemon vibe layered within a rich, semi-sweet malty base. A good dose of wheat without being too bready, maybe a touch of biscuit to the nose.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Rich and flavorful, the carbonation makes this one moderately- to pretty-heavy on the tongue. Grassy hops only sparsely populate the beverage, the real focus here is on the malt (very rich) and citrus additions (mild to moderate). Beautiful finish, chewy, nicely yeasty.

Overall: I have found that for my personal taste, ales are tastier than lagers. I'm not a huge fan of the Witbier, but if SASA is a good representation of the American Pale Wheat Ale style, I'm going to strongly consider looking for them as opposed to straight Witbiers. VERY, very tasty.

4.47/5  rDev +32.6%

This is the quintessential summer beer. The ale has a very smooth ale feeling to it, and does not leave your mouth dry. The flavor has a nice fruit taste without over powering you with too much sweetness. Some places garnish this one with fruit, but I like it as it is. Cheers.

4.45/5  rDev +32%

After numerous different beers tasted over the years, I have to remove my hat for Summer Ale. It has to be my all-time favorite. A fan of Sam to begin with, I could not help but easily enjoy Summer Ale. I miss it when it's off the shelves and I buy out the store when it's in season.

4.45/5  rDev +32%

nice and light wtih a little kick for an after taste.
had it with my wife over a plate of wings and she loved it (and she is not a big beer chick). Went down smooth and is vastly superior to the regular Sam Adams brand (it's a taste thing for me, sorry!)

update: 8/11/06
if you can get it on tap it is vastly superior to the bottle and the bottle is damn good.
I don't understand how Sam gets it so wrong with their main brand but rocks the world with their seasonals?!

4.42/5  rDev +31.2%

I love Sam Adams beer because they have have such a wide variety of different beers to suit everyone's taste buds. I first sampled this beer on tap at the 2nd annual Blews n' Brews Festival in Fayetteville, NC. This easily became my favorite beer of the fest. This is a great session beer since it is sort of light. I really enjoyed the tase of the beer. The other great thing is that I can get this beer in a keg (Raleigh, NC) if I want to make the hour drive up there. I stock up on this beer every summer now and since it is semi easy to find here in the south, I drink this when I don't have my favorites on hand.

12 oz bottle

A: Good foamy head, nice golden-straw appearance. Very nice lacing throughout.

S: Wheat and malt with hints of citrus make for a very pleasant scent.

T: Incredibly refreshing. The wheat is clearly present throughout, with great hints of the lemon zest and a bit of a spice note from the Grains of Paradise.

M: Light to mouthfeel, very crisp. Goes down very smooth

D: Great drinkability. The ideal beer for the days of summer - whether it be at the beach, backyard BBQ, or just lounging around outside, this is the beer to have.

Summer is always better with Samuel Adams Summer Ale.

From 12 ounce bottle freshness dated November 2011

A hazy lemon yellow in color,no head to speak of with light lacing of the glass. Soft lemon citrus taste with a hint of spice. Very refreshing with a pleasant aftertaste, as you would expect for a summer seasonal!

4.42/5  rDev +31.2%

A - Pours a cloudy orange with a 1cm thick marshmallowy head that slowly dissipates to a surface glaze.

S - Citrusy, (probably from the lemon zest added to the beer).

T - Lemony, orangey, citrusy, zesty, and malty.

M - Very light and smooth. A touch watery and could probably use a little thickness in its body, but it is by no means a distasteful lack of thickness. Personally, I thought the mouthfeel was great, but I could understand how others might think that it is a little thin.

D - A fabulous summer ale that is very light and refreshing, and possesses a great balance of each element. I could easily have countless numbers of these in one go, especially on a sweltering hot summer day.

Samuel Adams Summer Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)