2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Summer Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Summer AleSamuel Adams Summer Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Summer

An American Wheat, brewed with malted wheat, lemon zest and grains of paradise - a rare pepper from Africa first used as a brewing spice in the 13th Century to create a crisp and spicy flavor and body.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-09-2001)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Summer Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,676 | Reviews: 1,509 | Show All Ratings:
manofmanners

Connecticut

4.95/5  rDev +48.2%

This is buy far the best summer beer ever made. It has a dark golden color, a shade or two lighter than an amber color. It has a wonderful feel as it touches your tongue. Not to much carbon in there to give it a soda like feel some american beers will have. I like the slight hint of lemon. You should have this at a cook out, goes very well with burgers and dogs. Or have it just loafing around the house on a hot day.

If you like Bass Ale, you will like this for sure.

09-09-2006 23:48:05 | More by manofmanners
jr0d420

4.93/5  rDev +47.6%

Ok, well I've seen most reviews out and about giving this ale an average of a B-.. This is not acceptable! This ale achieves a great complexity of taste and yet such simplicity in drinkability that I do not understand why this ale is rated a somewhat above average B-! Summer Ales are meant to be drinkable, but with this much flavor?? Wow! Where to start? Ill Opt to not.. This is a great Ale! Enjoy the grains of paradise!!

08-09-2010 05:56:17 | More by jr0d420
skineg

4.85/5  rDev +45.2%

A- This beer is a magical gold, not yellow, thick, beautiful gold.

S- Exceptional, not too strong, with a nice hop smell with a slight hint of lemon and maybe a little floral? (hard to describe)

T- This is my favorite Summar Ale by far. I was expecting a good beer, but got a great beer. Nice. You can taste the hops and spices nicely. Full of flavor.

M- Once again, nice.

D- Goes soen easy, not a filling as adrks beers so drinking a lot of these would be pretty easy.

09-29-2006 17:54:30 | More by skineg
johnshuster

4.83/5  rDev +44.6%

MMM, this is tasty out of the tap.

It's a cloudy, darker golden yellowish color with a pretty decent head on it, probably at least a finger, maybe close to two. Not super thick, but a bit of creaminess to it.

Smells great. Not very overpowering...but a light smell of citrusy beerness. Very appetizing. Makes me want to drink it even more.

Tastes as good as it smells. Has a light, smooth, maybe even slightly lemony taste to it. Very consistent throughout its taste. A good, yet not overpowering flavor. I love it.

Mouthfeel...nice and even...not super heavy, but not watery thin either. Considering it is a pretty easy drinking beer I think it feels fairly substantial on the palate. Enough carbonation, but not too much.

Drinkability...for me this bridges the gap between what I consider "good" beers (small craft stuff, although I guess Sam is kinda big compared to most crafters) and the Buds of the world. I like crafts because they are interesting....different...etc. and I like bud, miller, etc. when rocking out for long periods of a time...I can both enjoy the taste and drink this stuff for a long period of time. I think this stuff is aces.

Note-it's better on tap if you ask me. I've had it outta the bottle, and it is not as good.

10-28-2005 20:17:42 | More by johnshuster
Vashtar

4.83/5  rDev +44.6%

What an excellent beer! It tastes crazy! It reminds me of an exotic fruit. It makes a figure 8 on your tongue.
The appearance is nothing special.
The smell was great.
It had a slight grain, like a Warsteiner but it didn't float to the roof of my mouth and go down the back of my throat like Warsteiner does.

It tasted like peach and tires but without the bitterness.

10-13-2011 04:29:12 | More by Vashtar
mcarroll10177

4.75/5  rDev +42.2%

Just released for 2006 this summer ale was poured from a bottle into an imperial pint glass

A- dark gold color with a huge white head from an agressive pour

S- some lemon and other citrus smells very refreshing

T- perfect is the word here some complexity, but balanced and with some crispness in the finish

M- light but not at all watery this is what I expected and wanted from this style

D- so so drinkable. This may be all I drink until the fall seasonals arive, that is how wonderfully refreshing this triumph from the boston beer company is.

I did not think that a SA got better than the boston lager. I was wrong, this is my favorite of a generally great line of beers.

04-10-2006 18:23:59 | More by mcarroll10177
StargherKing

Indiana

4.72/5  rDev +41.3%

After my initial experiences with the bottled version, I was quite pleased to find out my local Red Robin had this on tap. The server brought it out in a 22oz mug, color was clear yellow, with a strong (if somewhat small) head that somehow managed to last the entire beer. Scent was yeasty, citric, and slightly hoppy, with just a hint of spiciness underneath. Taste was very yeasty, much more so than the bottled version, with a bit of hops, just a hint of the grains of paradise, and a nice lemony zest serving to balance everything out. Mouthfeel was clean and crisp, very refreshing. Drinkability was very good, almost deceptively so. It would seem that I need to start trying summer ales now, having this one on tap sealed the deal for me.

07-04-2007 10:19:22 | More by StargherKing
cdrogers

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased in the standard Samuel Adams bottle. Poured to a goblet. Medium-golden color and minimal head. Extreme aroma of lemon. The lemon smell really came through with this beer and it was exceptional. It felt wonderful around the mouth and went down extremely smooth. It was extremely light-bodied and reminded me of a good pinot grigio. Definitely something I could drink regularly and something I would recommend to anyone wanting something easy to find, cheap, and very good.

07-04-2008 06:29:28 | More by cdrogers
SMADMS

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at T-Bones Roadhouse in Plymouth
22oz is the standard at T-Bones Roadhouse

Poured from tap (decline the lemon garnish)
pours a beautiful hazy golden color. no head here they fill the mug to the rim...
Smells of citrus and spice ..not overpowering
Lemon zest and a crisp bite taste as it washes the palette full body.
very smooth beer, can drink endless amounts on a hot summer day/evening.

This is one of my summer favorites and it goes well with a bbq

I wish bartenders would stop putting lemon on the rim when this is ordered. ASK first

07-11-2008 19:41:35 | More by SMADMS
MisterDeeds

4.58/5  rDev +37.1%

Grains of Paradise? What are they? I don't know. Put them in a beer and the results are amazing. Each and every year I wait for this brew. Each and every year it is somewhat different and somehow better. Great in the bottle, better on draft. Excellent choice for mowing the lawn, or just being lazy on the porch.

05-23-2007 01:52:01 | More by MisterDeeds
mclanem

4.53/5  rDev +35.6%

Appearance: Clear golden beer very light white froathy head

Smell: This beer smells great, has the smell of a white ale. very floral and clean, hops and caramel

Taste: Great clean white ale taste good hop flavor floral like the smell.

Mouthfeel: This beer has good carbonation, not thick but is refreshing just like a summer ale should be

Drinkablity: this beer is very drinkable perfect in the heat, I love this beer like all sam adams

05-04-2006 23:46:41 | More by mclanem
Poppypitbull

4.5/5  rDev +34.7%

nice and light wtih a little kick for an after taste.
had it with my wife over a plate of wings and she loved it (and she is not a big beer chick). Went down smooth and is vastly superior to the regular Sam Adams brand (it's a taste thing for me, sorry!)

update: 8/11/06
if you can get it on tap it is vastly superior to the bottle and the bottle is damn good.
I don't understand how Sam gets it so wrong with their main brand but rocks the world with their seasonals?!

05-15-2006 14:51:18 | More by Poppypitbull
JDK

4.5/5  rDev +34.7%

This is my second review of this beer, which is a first for me. The more I drink it the better I like it.
Temp is 91 outside, lost power and sat on the patio having my own personal session, waiting on the AEP to get the air back on, but in the meantime it really doesn't get much better!
This is another SA that I really enjoy!

06-08-2007 01:32:18 | More by JDK
philibum13

Delaware

4.5/5  rDev +34.7%

After numerous different beers tasted over the years, I have to remove my hat for Summer Ale. It has to be my all-time favorite. A fan of Sam to begin with, I could not help but easily enjoy Summer Ale. I miss it when it's off the shelves and I buy out the store when it's in season.

08-21-2009 23:35:41 | More by philibum13
mummbearsfan

4.5/5  rDev +34.7%

The aroma of this brew smelled spicy and citrusy at the same times which is Samuel Adams trademark with some of their brews in my opinion. This was something right away that would be refreshing for the summer months.

Taste again was very refreshing I get more citrus taste then the spiciness that they mention, while the mouthfeel is crisp and very light on the pallet.

Overall just by its pale almost straw appearance this beer will help cool you off as well provide something light on the pallet. I recommend this brew as one of those beers that you should have wioth light food or just to sit outside on your patio and drink.

09-01-2011 01:38:46 | More by mummbearsfan
powoo19

4.47/5  rDev +33.8%

Great beer. It has a lightly citrus smell and light appearence for Sams. The taste is outstanding and the aftertaste is good. It pours nicely with a light head. The hint of citrus is just enough to give that summer feel and not take away from the beer itself. Good job!
Happy Drinking!

05-17-2003 07:40:55 | More by powoo19
chiccabeer

4.47/5  rDev +33.8%

This is the quintessential summer beer. The ale has a very smooth ale feeling to it, and does not leave your mouth dry. The flavor has a nice fruit taste without over powering you with too much sweetness. Some places garnish this one with fruit, but I like it as it is. Cheers.

03-05-2011 23:46:40 | More by chiccabeer
Lauthaha

4.47/5  rDev +33.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer mug.

Appearance: Beer is a cloudy golden/straw color, with lots of bubbles. Head is nice and foamy with good consistency.

Smell: Nice and crisp; fresh. Moderate lemon vibe layered within a rich, semi-sweet malty base. A good dose of wheat without being too bready, maybe a touch of biscuit to the nose.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Rich and flavorful, the carbonation makes this one moderately- to pretty-heavy on the tongue. Grassy hops only sparsely populate the beverage, the real focus here is on the malt (very rich) and citrus additions (mild to moderate). Beautiful finish, chewy, nicely yeasty.

Overall: I have found that for my personal taste, ales are tastier than lagers. I'm not a huge fan of the Witbier, but if SASA is a good representation of the American Pale Wheat Ale style, I'm going to strongly consider looking for them as opposed to straight Witbiers. VERY, very tasty.

09-25-2011 01:54:31 | More by Lauthaha
Popkorn615

4.45/5  rDev +33.2%

A - Pours a cloudy orange with a 1cm thick marshmallowy head that slowly dissipates to a surface glaze.

S - Citrusy, (probably from the lemon zest added to the beer).

T - Lemony, orangey, citrusy, zesty, and malty.

M - Very light and smooth. A touch watery and could probably use a little thickness in its body, but it is by no means a distasteful lack of thickness. Personally, I thought the mouthfeel was great, but I could understand how others might think that it is a little thin.

D - A fabulous summer ale that is very light and refreshing, and possesses a great balance of each element. I could easily have countless numbers of these in one go, especially on a sweltering hot summer day.

06-07-2008 01:15:17 | More by Popkorn615
matracy68

4.43/5  rDev +32.6%

I love Sam Adams beer because they have have such a wide variety of different beers to suit everyone's taste buds. I first sampled this beer on tap at the 2nd annual Blews n' Brews Festival in Fayetteville, NC. This easily became my favorite beer of the fest. This is a great session beer since it is sort of light. I really enjoyed the tase of the beer. The other great thing is that I can get this beer in a keg (Raleigh, NC) if I want to make the hour drive up there. I stock up on this beer every summer now and since it is semi easy to find here in the south, I drink this when I don't have my favorites on hand.

05-24-2006 23:12:34 | More by matracy68
HockeytownBrew

12 oz bottle

A: Good foamy head, nice golden-straw appearance. Very nice lacing throughout.

S: Wheat and malt with hints of citrus make for a very pleasant scent.

T: Incredibly refreshing. The wheat is clearly present throughout, with great hints of the lemon zest and a bit of a spice note from the Grains of Paradise.

M: Light to mouthfeel, very crisp. Goes down very smooth

D: Great drinkability. The ideal beer for the days of summer - whether it be at the beach, backyard BBQ, or just lounging around outside, this is the beer to have.

Summer is always better with Samuel Adams Summer Ale.

07-28-2010 15:42:41 | More by HockeytownBrew
CaptJackHarkness

From 12 ounce bottle freshness dated November 2011

A hazy lemon yellow in color,no head to speak of with light lacing of the glass. Soft lemon citrus taste with a hint of spice. Very refreshing with a pleasant aftertaste, as you would expect for a summer seasonal!

08-26-2011 23:38:06 | More by CaptJackHarkness
comingbackdown

4.4/5  rDev +31.7%

The Pour:
Dead perfect pour on my hand. My best yet. :)
Very foamy, with a slight hiss as the head builds up.

The Head:
One finger head right out of the bottle, warm and aromatic, long lasting. Perfection. Lacing to the horizon and back.

Consistency and viscosity:
Slightly watery, somewhat oily to me. Pleasant to look at though.

The Nose:
Strong aromas of wheat, lemon, fresh bread or biscuits, smells warm and peppery. The aromas don't blend perfectly, but it's hard to get them all.

The Taste:
Sweet Wheat and Lemon, strong, bold Wheat taste all over, no sour taste anywhere.

Warm, wheaty, bittersweet with a strong lemon bite at the finish. A rather dry finish, but nice.

The Mouthfeel:
Creamy, warm, lightly carbonated, smooth all across the palette.

The Aftertaste:
Wheat and lemon. A perfect aftertaste. I'll be looking forward to this all year until next summer hits. :)

Aside from the dry finish, I could drink a damn keg of this brew. Very appreciable. Now, to work off the carbs from it.

As the brothers say, respect beer.

Happy drinking to all.
Cheers!

05-17-2008 18:39:08 | More by comingbackdown
xtremejammn

4.38/5  rDev +31.1%

Hands down my favorite Sam Adams so far hands down.

A: Pours a light brown with a remarkably long lasting head,
amazing.

S: Very strong wheat smell, smell is also very hoppy, with a hint of yeast.

T: A very citrus-ish beer, I get a sense of orange spice and lemony taste.

M: Perfect, not too bubbly although it packs a punch, makes it very smooth to drink.

D: Very smooth, not too bubbly, finishes pretty well.

Bottom Line: I'd highly reccomend this to anyone, a very well done ale and gets my two thumbs way up. ta ta

08-02-2006 21:41:33 | More by xtremejammn
bark

Sweden

4.38/5  rDev +31.1%

The colour is gold with a tint of orange, the liquid is a little bit hazy. The two finger white head is airy; it sinks slowly down, leaving no lacing.

The smell is fruity with notes of citric and honey. There is some sourness paired with yeast and a fine bitter hoppy flavour.

The taste is fresh and refreshing. There is fine wheat-y sourness, some sweet malt. Fruity notes of lemons and blueberries(!). The aftertaste got a good amount of bitterness, some sweetness and a hint of yeast.

The carbonation is powerful; medium sized bubbles. The liquid is somewhat smooth.

A summer ale that really suits summer days.

06-03-2007 16:13:06 | More by bark
Samuel Adams Summer Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)