Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Samuel Adams Summer Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Summer AleSamuel Adams Summer Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-09-2001

An American Wheat, brewed with malted wheat, lemon zest and grains of paradise - a rare pepper from Africa first used as a brewing spice in the 13th Century to create a crisp and spicy flavor and body.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Summer Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,599 | Hads: 5,141
3.92/5  rDev +15.6%

I really enjoyed this beer. Probally the best aspect was the mouth feel. A lot of pilsner beers have little to no body. This was totally diffrent. It had a pronounced presence, the way beer should. Other than that this is a fairly typical entry. However, I would recommend this to all the bud/coors drinkers I know. (315 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -2.1%

My 1st review... go easy on me!

Pours with a cloudy, but not overly (unfiltered hefeweizen cloudy)- golden clarity. Head dissipated relatively quickly.

First flavor that hits is a sweet citrusy note followed by what seemed like a hint of cherries.

Overall a very fruit-filled beer and sweet beer, drinks too much like a cider for my taste.

Finish had a very small hint of hops which I though was overshadowed by the alcohol taste, surprisingly for such a light beer.

Not my style, but you could definitely down a few of these on a hot day.

Maybe my girlfriend would like this one? (602 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Pours a bright orange, with a bit of cloudiness to it. The head is small and doesn't stick to the glass.

S - Not much here.. maybe a little peachiness?

T - Not bad. Starts off with a fairly thick wheat taste, and tapers off with a hint of citrus. I'm not tasting any hops here at all..

M - Medium thickness.. a bit dry, but still refreshing.

D - I could have a few of these without trouble. Fairly easy to drink..

Overall I think this is an ok beer, but it doesn't have a great deal going for it. A step up from a Bud Light for sure.. but nothing to write home about. (576 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +0.3%

Looks: Pours a bright yellow which is just the tiniest bit hazy, quickly dissipating white head and no lacing. No carbonation to be found.

Smell: Sweet, fruity and citrusy. A little spicy. Some wheat smell as well, but nothing too powerful here.

Taste: Sweet malts and lemon dominate the taste, with just a tiny bit of hop flavor, which is appropriate for the style. Some wheat flavor, but only in the backround. Honey and some spice add a nice touch.

Mouthfeel: Strong carbonation with a very light body. The subtle spice gives some texture.

Drinkability: Oh so drinkable on a hot summer day (minus the heavy carbonation). Very refreshing with the powerful lemon taste and light body. Could probably fly through a 6-pack of this if it were hot enough! (759 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +8%

Hazy yellow appearance in my pint glass with little head, but good retention. Not much on the nose, but a good lemony wheat taste to this one. Definitely one of the more citrus-heavy wheat beers I've ever had, and yet done so tactfully--still tastes very much like a beer, which is more than I can say for some overly citrused wheats. Sorta boring and not overly impressive in any way, but it sure is refreshing. A situational beer for sure--perfect on the beach or with the right dinner. Loved it with my chicken dish. Not sure its worth the hype that surrounds it in the Boston area, but definitely one of my most ordered dinner accompaniments. Good stuff. (658 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Samuel Adams is one of my favorite everyday beers and I was happy to give this a try with a burrito at a Tijuana Flats. It was okay, worked fine on a summer day with a casual meal. citrusy flavor, obviously, I would drink it again, but won't await it's release like I do for the Octoberfest. (291 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +8.3%

One of my favorite summer time beers. Picked one up 2 days ago in Massachusetts....I guess Sammy forgot to buy that one back bc it was definitely expired, but good enough to hold me over until this year's release (212 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +14.5%

This offering from Sam Adams poured out on draft to a golden color,slightly cloudy,yet appealing.The aromas were of wheat,citrus and yeasts as well as spice.The taste had many of the aromas listed above and you could really get the citrus or lemon in the flavor.The body was slighly thin and the head on the beer quickly dissappeared.This is a pretty good and refreshing beer,very good on a hot summer day. (406 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +31.3%

nice and light wtih a little kick for an after taste.
had it with my wife over a plate of wings and she loved it (and she is not a big beer chick). Went down smooth and is vastly superior to the regular Sam Adams brand (it's a taste thing for me, sorry!)

update: 8/11/06
if you can get it on tap it is vastly superior to the bottle and the bottle is damn good.
I don't understand how Sam gets it so wrong with their main brand but rocks the world with their seasonals?! (476 characters)

A: Poured from bottle to Pilsner Glass. This beer looks like a typical summer wheat, yellowy-orange, hazed. Decent head for a wheat, although it crumbles quickly.

S: Smells is of citrus, and wheaty goodness. Classic Sam Adams complexity, something else you can't put a finger on.

T: At first it seems like an average wheat, but then there's the mystery flavor. I want to say it reminds me of fruit snacks. Cheap fruit snacks.

M: Carbonation could be a bit more crisp. It fits the style, but I like a sharp carbonation with wheats. Take Boulevard Unfiltered for example.

O: At first, I didn't care much for this beer. But sip by sip, I enjoyed it more and more. I purchased the summer sampler, and was least excited about this one (and Sam Adams Light), but it's good. I prefer Boulevard, but still, it's a good beer; something different. (845 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -5.6%

Just a quicky review.

Apearance is golden, and semi clear. Head retention disappointing.

Smell is of malt and citrus....slightly muddled.

Taste...Same as smell. Slight malt and citrus overtone. Not complicated, but at the same time not very focused.

Mouthfeel is light and airy.

Drinkabily is good as there is nothing here to offend. (349 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +15.9%

Last bottle of the 12 pack, finally got around to reviewing it. Freshness date is November, so I'm plenty ahead of the game. Poured into a Weizen glass.

It pours a hazy, hazy yellow with a great big, moderatly thick head. Looks good, very good.
The smell is intersting, half wheat half lemon zest. To be honest, it kind of smells like a watered down PineSol. However, this is not a bad thing, it's just the only thing I"ve smelled close to this.
I appreciate Sam going out on the limb with the grains of paradise. They add a nice peppery complexion to this beer. It drinks very smooth, and you go from tastes zest of lemon, to pepper, to a nice malty wheat texture.
Mouthfeel is very light, lots of carbonation and I personally love the peppery flavors that come out, but I can see how this would drive people away.
Drinkability? High during the summer. In any other season forget about it. But, since Sam is marketing this as a seasonal, that's all I'm going to score it on. It's a great summer drink, bar none. It goes phenomenolly well with lemon lime chicken, and I implore you to try that. All critiquing aside, I just really like this beer and while not the best summer beer I've drank, it's probably the most drinkable...if you don't mind the peppery grains of paradise. (1,289 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +42.5%

A- This beer is a magical gold, not yellow, thick, beautiful gold.

S- Exceptional, not too strong, with a nice hop smell with a slight hint of lemon and maybe a little floral? (hard to describe)

T- This is my favorite Summar Ale by far. I was expecting a good beer, but got a great beer. Nice. You can taste the hops and spices nicely. Full of flavor.

M- Once again, nice.

D- Goes soen easy, not a filling as adrks beers so drinking a lot of these would be pretty easy. (484 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -20.6%

meh, what can I say...

Poured into a glass, like all beer should be.

Looks nice, hazy yellow with a white puffy head. Looks like a lemon meringue pie.

Smells nice and lemony, super light hops (which could also just be the lemon zest). Has a "wheat beer" smell to it under the strong lemon scent.

This one didn't taste too great, I think the grains of paradise plus the lemon zest give it an awkward bitter flavor (as opposed to a pleasant hop bitter flavor). Spice, lemon rind, wheat.

A very thin bodied beer. For the summer this might be refreshing, but even then I'd probably take a sierra nevada kellerweiss or something similar over this for my summer refreshment.

Drinkability is only as good as the beer tastes...

Notes: you can find much better wheat beers/summer beers out there, use this website as a guide. (824 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

Probably my second favorite seasonal beer. Definately look forward to this one come late spring. A flavorful beer with an excellent aroma that just tastes so good when it hits your lips. A beer that feels good going down meaning that one could indulge in many before too long.

Recommended. (290 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Had on tap at a chain restaurant. In a word, it's fine. Looks very yellow with a thin white head that never really goes away. Smells like yeast and a bit of citrus. The taste is dominated by yeast, and the aftertaste is almost entirely banana, for some reason. It's not bad, but I prefer their Cold Snap to this. (312 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

It isn't as easy to drink a bunch of these as it should be.
It's a bright, opaque beer, but it rests too heavy in the belly for the style, almost like eating a slice of bread every beer you drink. It finishes with that classic summer wheaty-lemon. It's alright, but I'd more likely grab a Heff or a heavier American Wheat Ale. (326 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +27.4%

I love this beer! Started with an average sized, frothy, white, and mostly diminishing head. The body hue was medium yellow/light orange with tiny particles averagely dispersed. The aroma was a nice heavy dough with moderate malts and light hops. The flavor was definately sweet that calms down until a nice average bready finish. The body was medium to full, dry, and softly carbonated. I really love this beer and is in my top 5 of favorite beers right now. (459 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -15%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle.

A: Yellowish/orange with a tinge of cloudiness. Small, perfectly white head.

S: Lemon, grass, something has a slight dank quality to it. Possibly the wheat?

T: Much the same as the aroma. A mixture of lemon, some grassy hop characters. As it warms up you notice the alcohol in the throat.

M: Good level of carbonation. Light bodied and somewhat creamy. Not at all chewy.

D: Hmm. I'm not much of a fan of this one. Nothing really grabs me at all in the way of aroma or taste. It's a one and done for me. None of the flavors are terrible but it doesn't quite work.

Notes: I reviewed the Blackberry Wit the other day and in terms of appearance and body it's much of the same, hence the similar review. I'd say I prefer the Blackberry to this one, though. (785 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -36.9%

After enjoying the living heck out of Noble Pils last week and seeing that my local bottle shop, bar was out of it today, I decided to give this one a whirl.
Big mistake!
What got to me was that it tasted incredibly sour. The Hops and Lemon seemed to be battling it out in my mouth and neither ingredient won.
Since I make Church Mice look like Donald Trump, in the financial department I didn't feed it back into the city's water supply.
Brainstorming resulted in the addition of a few grains of Sea Salt.
Afterward, it tasted remarkably like a Corona, the way it's served in a Mexican restaurant. Ok then, but not what I wanted.

Major disappointment from what's usually a fantastic brewer. (692 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +32.7%

The aroma of this brew smelled spicy and citrusy at the same times which is Samuel Adams trademark with some of their brews in my opinion. This was something right away that would be refreshing for the summer months.

Taste again was very refreshing I get more citrus taste then the spiciness that they mention, while the mouthfeel is crisp and very light on the pallet.

Overall just by its pale almost straw appearance this beer will help cool you off as well provide something light on the pallet. I recommend this brew as one of those beers that you should have wioth light food or just to sit outside on your patio and drink. (630 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%

The presentation is in a brown 12oz bottle with the freshness date marked. It poured a foggy orange-ish pale honey color with a nice three finger foamy white head. The head has great retention and clings to the side of the glass nicely. It’s cloudy, but not as cloudy as many of the wheat beers that I’ve had.

The aroma is sweat and spicy. The label states that it is brewed with lemon zest and I guess I can find a hint of it in there. The first taste doesn’t really have much to it. Spicy and smooth. Finishes very clean. Very refreshing and great after my long day of playing pick-up basketball. The mouthfeel is thin, but suits the style well. Who wants a full bodied beer on a hot summer day? Very drinkable, but it leaves me wanting more. (750 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -31.3%

I decided to sample a sixer of this beer last night as it was a warm summer evening and I wanted a beer that fit the occasion. Must say I was a bit disappointed; I expected something a bit lighter and fruitier. I am generally a fan of Sam Adams' other offerings but this didn't live up to them. Appearance was nice, with a 1" head and a light golden color, but taste was rather dull, with a mild bitterness. Aftertaste was downright terrible. Also, I woke up with a terrible hangover this morning, something I usually don't get from only 6 beers (ex-fratboy, still have a high tolerance).

Naturally, this is a better beer than something like Bud or MGD, but it's a lot more expensive, and for a specialty beer it's not that interesting. Doubt I'll buy it again. (764 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -16.5%

A: Apple juice-like with little head.

S: Best part, with subtle lemongrass scent

T: Grains of paradise are overrated.

M: Excessively carbonated for this type of brew; but this is good because it would otherwise be too watery.

D: Not sessionable. (250 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +15.6%

I poured this bottle into a glass. It had a cloudy light yellow color with a small foam that disappeared quickly. I would like to have seen a little more foam on this one. The aroma was very sweet with a strong citrus smell. The taste was very good. It tasted much like a typical American hefeweizen. Mildly sweet with a strong citrus flavor and a hint of banana. The mouthfeel was somewhat chewy (more so than Widmer hefeweizen), but not too thick. A very drinkable beer. (472 characters)

Samuel Adams Summer Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)