Samuel Adams Boston Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.
to view more.
Ratings: 8,151 | Reviews: 2,588
3.49/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Not bad but not a favorite.

To me this a hybrid beer. A little wheaty lager mixed with a hint of IPA. a little too much IPA for my taste. Decent beer

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Very underrated beer. Light but tasty

4.09/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A solid and above average lager. When in doubt on what to order, you can't go wrong with this one.

3.56/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

From bottle to pint glass. L: 3/4 in off white head quickly fades a light film. Mild lacing. Wonderful amber color. S: Grainy malt and not much else. T: Light malt with a light simple hop flavor that makes for a great balanced but light flavored beer. O: Great transition beer for a newcomer. I would also pick this if i wanted a simple lighter flavored brew. Decent taste with nothing offensive

3.73/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look: More or less orange. Smell: Like a real good beer. Malty. Two finger foam, went down fairly quick. Taste: Just slightly bitter but doesn't last long, slight citrus taste. Feel: Good carbonation, I drank from a pilsner glass and it was still pumping bubbles down to the last swallow. Overall: This is not a bad beer, it's just not my style of beer. They say look is important with beer and I believe that, all my favorite beers are straw to golden.

4.59/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Probably the best American Lager readily available.
The tag lines don't lie when they say it's got flavor, get ready to crack a faux Boston accent at the bar when you order a Sam Adams. (Unless you hail from Boston in which case, Go Sox!)
Flaxen amber gold body with a generous head poured into a specialty glass. What does it smell like? Good beer. What does it taste like? Think hops galloping across an open field of malt and jumping over a spicy, lingering finish. Great with steaks, great with chicken, great on its own!
If I was a brewer I would be proud too...

3.55/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Solid Lager My go to when out and craft is not avilable

3.82/5  rDev +2.1%

Drank from a pint SA glass, at a chain restaurant after hiking. Intense orange color. Aroma - Light, mix of hops and malt. Taste - good malty taste with a bit of hops for balance. Crisp carbonated mouthfeel. Not a bad beer at all.

3.37/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

It's amazing how drinking craft beer changes my taste in beer. I used to like this much more. A good lager overall.

2.2/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

I wanted to like this beer 'cause of the fame it had... I've seen comercials, banners, good publicity and sure enough it got me into a curiosity mode where I had to try the beer, but when I got to the deal... It wasn't quite what I was expecting... Just a common lager for which I have a pretty standart rating.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Looks like a lager.
Smells like a good lager.
Tastes like a really good lager.
It's probably my favorite anytime lager.

4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

Quick review. Balance is the name of the game here. BBC did a nice job of creating a full, refreshing & interesting lager without having any one component step on another's toes. Drinkable, malty & solid - good anytime brew.

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I think this is a good beer, but a bit overpriced and a bit overhyped.

3.69/5  rDev -1.3%

Look: a really pretty beer actually, if beer can be pretty- clear, dark golden with orange-ish tint
Smell: grainy, malty, caramel, but not a heavy scent like most malty hoppy beers
Taste: weird...sometimes i taste a hint of citrus notes other times it tastes a bit too hoppy/malty for me
Aftertaste: generally it leaves a nice mild flavor in the mouth
Overall: I have really mixed feelings about this beer, i really like it from the tap depending on what I'm eating but I'm not a fan of it from the bottle

4.68/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Boston lager is one of the most balanced lagers I have ever tasted. No single flavor character overpowers in this beer but many subtle notes can be detected with repeated tasting. It has full body and complex grain and malt flavors while retaining the characteristic crisp mouth feel of a lager. It is not overtly hoppy yet it has bitter hop notes on the edges. Head retention is not great but has a beautiful clear Amber color and leaves great Brussels lacing on the glass. Pairs well with many foods and is an everyday beer I keep coming back to.

4.3/5  rDev +15%

Pleasantly Surprised by this.
Smells good, smooth, flavourful taste.
Feels and tastes like a lager, but with a minor ale aftertaste. Almost feels like both a lager and an ale together.

2.81/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Drinkable but just very plain in flavor. Wish it had a bit more body and flavor coming from a brewery who has the ability to produce good beer.

4.43/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from a bottle. Amber-red in color with minor head. Hoppy aroma, not overpowering. Very good hoppy flavor with a nice taste of cereal grains and malt. Finish was a little strong on the grain. Excellent mouthfeel. Excellent lager.

2.71/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

On tap at California Adventure, served in a clear green cup.

4.38/5  rDev +17.1%

This was my gateway beer. Recommended to me by my sister because I mentioned that I found yellow beers (macropilsners) bland and unpleasant to drink. It's not the best beer ever, but it has a place in my heart because this brewery helped me realize beer could actually taste good.
Appearance: Clear amber reminiscent of the caramel notes that are so prominent in this beer.
Smell: Malty caramel with some subtle citrus and pine to keep things interesting
Taste: Same as the nose with a toast note on the finish.
Feel: Not too big, but not too small.
Overall: This is a very balanced beer. There's plenty of malt sweetness that melds with the hop dryness, and the beer still manages to be on the refreshing side. Not the greatest beer ever, but this is a perfect gateway beer given how much flavor it has without being aggressive.

3.51/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I thought it was pretty good not the best I've had but pretty good

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

Great color. Great smell.ok taste

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

Smoothly beer good taste..you can find out it at any liquor store

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Super solid. I like getting this when I don't want to get smashed in the mouth with hops.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

Good, consistent, and easy to find in large volumes everywhere.

to view more.
Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)