Samuel Adams Boston Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Boston Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,553 | Hads: 8,499
3.83/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I have drank plenty of SA Boston Lager but I feel a bit guilty rating it. Oh well, pours a deep amber with a modest head. Has a pleasant bready malty aroma with a semi sweet malty flavor. Feels semi thick in the mouth with a dry sweet finish. This has always been an easy to drink brew that compliments lots of different foods.

3.84/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: crystal clear; bronze in color; 1 finger off white head that receded to a thin collar; nice lacing;

S: bready, nutty, a little malt sweetness;

T; sweeter that you expect from the aroma; toffee up front; bready and nutty from the middle to the end; finish is long lasting and mildly bitter;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; moderately dry finish;

O: easy drinking; a little sweet for my taste; pairs well with a lot of food;

2.9/5  rDev -23.7%

A good beer, but I'm not sure I like it as much as others seem to. Great look, good smell, good feel. And the taste is above average too, but there's something about the finish that I don't love. It's not the hops in the finish; that I enjoyed. It's a little oily, and that I don't care for.

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

Ya know, it's a pretty darn good lager, exquisite balance of maltiness, balance, and crispness. I know, I know, this is now a 'mass market' beer, but the truth is, it's hard to match.

Tastes really nice and smooth with a good taste of hops and a nice level of carbonation, with a malty smell. Pours a golden color with a nice foamy head that sticks to the glass as you drink it. I always prefer drinking out of the bottle though.

4.02/5  rDev +5.8%

Look: Golden Amber color. Small white head that dissipates quickly and some carbonation bubbles.

Smell: Floral hops, malt and caramel and some sweet malt.

Taste: A good balance of sweet malt with some floral hops and then some pleasant bitterness at the end.

Feel: Medium carbonation, medium body and overall very easy drinking.

3.57/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

From Taste of America. In Teku glass. After dinner. Not much foam. High drinkability with a pleasant bitterness. I wish Seville's lagers were like Boston's ones

3.84/5  rDev +1.1%

Often a gateway beer to craft beers for a lot of people, this is definitely a superior brew to the other macros: the budweisers, heinakens, and millers. Its Rich lager with balance, hops and maltiness. Not too sweet not too bitter, and it is always widely available, definitely my go to beer when I am out and about.

4.62/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Another great "go to" beer for me when I'm out. Looks great in its signature glass and tastes great on tap or bottled. Probably Boston Brewing's best beer along with Octoberfest.

4.14/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

It's been years since I've had a Boston Lager. Two were included in the Holiday Classics 12 pack. This beer brought the craft beer movement to the forefront. Boston Lager was my first step out of the "Bud Light"comfort zone. Sweet malts up front flow gently into a subtle hop bite and somewhat dry finish. Beautiful, flavorful and very drinkable. This reunion with Boston Lager will keep me from overlooking it next time I'm in the craft beer isle.

3.3/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A nice outing for a mass market beer. Amber in color with spare head, nice robust aroma and taste. Very drinkable with a little bit of hops bite. Need to check this one out again.

4.52/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an exceptional beer. I had it while on vacation in Maine. We went camping at Acadia National Park and I picked up a 6-pack of this to have by the fire. It was rich, not lacking in flavor, and smooth. I had it with a lot of different food items over the grill and it complemented each of them nicely. I will definitely get this one again.

3.58/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

330ml bottle into a conical 2/3 pint glass. Paid £4.99 for a pack of four.

Pours a clear, deep amber coloured body that changes to a bright, golden orange when held to the light. A two-finger in height, thick, off white, bubbly head dissipates slowly with the help of masses of fine streaming carbonation, leaving behind a modest amount of delicate lacing on the glass.

The nose is subtle and simple overall; light amounts of crisp toasty grains, caramel malt and a small dose of floral and grassy hops are present in equal parts. The taste follows suit, crisp, sweet malts and a touch of caramel lead upfront before fading into a slightly dry floral and grassy hop profile mid palate. Towards the finish a mild amount grassy and citrus bitterness builds, cleanly rounding off lingering sweetness from the malty body. In the mouth, fine carbonation and a light to medium body give a feel that starts smooth and creamy and finishes clean, crisp and slightly dry. A tiny amount of astringency on the very end encourages you to take another gulp.

Overall this is a good beer, nicely balanced, extremely quaffable and great value for money, given the choice though I’d probably prefer a Brooklyn Lager.

3.8/5  rDev 0%

Sometimes I forget how good Sam really is because I drink it so often. Been drinking a long time as northeast born and raised. Such a crisp profile with pine notes and mild hops with great mild bitterness.

Still one of the best beers I've ever had. Very good out of the bottle, but simply fantastic on draft. Can't go wrong. Great aroma to the beer and a great full taste, but not overpowering. Has a great look and head to the beer whether on draft or bottle.

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A decent lager. Copper color,a decent combo of sweet and malty with a bit of caramel . Nice carbonation. A bit on the heavy side. Good for a couple but another I couldn't drink a 6 pack enjoyably of without gut bloat

4.04/5  rDev +6.3%

This was poured into a pilsener glass.
The appearance was a nice looking burnt amber color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipates at a nice pace. Light lacing clings to the glass nicely.
The smell starts off with a toasty sweet caramel malt base and gets some nuts to enter for the balance.
The taste was mainly the same with a sweet caramel aftertaste and a quick finish.
The mouthfeel had a light body with a good sessionable feel to it. Carbonation runs fairly light. Moderate sticky caramel malts cling to my tongue.
Overall, well, its a Vienna Lager, what's wrong with that, one knows they got to every now and again.

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

Tried and true - a great tasting and great looking lager. The color is a very nice amber. Carbonation is a little much for my taste, but that's me. Most importantly, this was THE reason we can choose from so many brews these days.

3.27/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

On tap
Nice looking beer with a lasting head and lacing but too sweet and too much caramel character to be as sessionable as one would hope in a lager. Mouthfeel is thick and a bit pasty in the finish. Other than that quite drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

I'm not an expert. Also, I'm Canadian, so I don't know if Sam Adams counts as a macro or micro brew. But I'll just say this. This beer is noticeably better than any macro brew, and holds its own against any good microbrew. Sam Adams Boston Lager is proof that there's no excuse for a bad beer. There is no reason why every beer can't be great, like Sam Adams is. In conclusion I'll just say that you can't go wrong with Sam Adams. It's great beer. Whenever there's a new brew available at my local store, I'm always find myself wondering if the risk of trying the new beer is worth it, considering that I already know that Sam Adam's is great. I usually do better when I just grab the Sam Adams.

3.16/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

pours an amber color with a thick head and lives a nice lacing on the glass. Not much on the nose to smell. Taste is malty, little bitterish at the end. For a lager this was pretty good.

3.87/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Now this, my friends is a beer.
I love this beer so much. It's so perfectly malty and sweet with a great balance of grainy taste. Super bready and full. Available EVERYWHERE which makes it even better. A perfect beer to share with non-craft buddies.

I'm going to be lazy here. To begin with I have tried hundreds of craft beers and I know this is not technically but it is by far my favorite go to beer. Everyone's palate is different but this is perfect to me in every way.

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Great color, somewhere between amber and copper, with an almost creamy thick head. Very nice for a lager. Head dissipates but laces down the side of the glass. Not much on the smell. Not offensive, just neutral. Balanced taste. Nice malt with caramel flavor, but not too sweet. Hops come out more on the aftertaste. The first "craft" beer for many of us, and it's still the way I remember.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

The bros say, Subtle hops, crisp, with residual sweetness. I'd say that sounds about right. Poured into a four inch snifter, an inch head quickly subsided to a residual froth. Smells of sweet metal and caramel, with an esthery, bubbly air. Just enough sweetness - with a bit of bitterness in the aftertaste to feel like drinking a pretty good beer - but without the impression of drinking a beer that's trying to be highbrow. Nice - golden amber color. Warm, yet hoppy smell - balanced. This beer surprised me - I was expecting something closer to the big brewers, in the vein of an American Adjunct Lager, but was pretty surprised. I will choose this beer again.

Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)