Samuel Adams Boston Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Boston Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,231 | Reviews: 2,613

I thought it tasted like I was sipping some sweaty locker room socks that had been boiling in urine for a good hour. Not a fan

i wouldn't wish this brew upon my worst enemy.

1.33/5  rDev -64.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Barely better than BMC, terrible.

1.5/5  rDev -59.9%

Am I the only one who thinks this beer's recipe has changed from let's say 10 years ago or so.

I used to like this beer ,but had a couple recently and it's just downright bad. From two different stores.

Anyone know the answer to this?

1.5/5  rDev -59.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Sam Adams sucks. I hate all their stupid beers and their stupid commercials. This crap ain't even from Boston? I do like that some people consider it a craft beer and buy into their dumb reputation. I used to live in Boston and part of why I didn't want to stay was because this beer company was associated with it. I do like Harpoon though. That is a much better Boston beer brand. Sam Adams can suck it because it does suck it.

1.68/5  rDev -55.1%

A beer that is considered great by many people..but i am not one of those people. Samuel Adams produces a lager that is way over hopped for that style of beer. Additionally it doesnt seem like they are even using the correct type of hops because it is far too bitter for a lager. This beer looks good but is far from it. Sam Adams claims that it is i craft brewery but in actuality it is right up there with Budweiser and Coors.

1.75/5  rDev -53.2%

This has got to be the worst beer Sam Adams makes. Was looking forward to trying it, poured it into a cold mug and took a sip. Yukk.

The beer looks okay, but the smell and the taste are disgusting. Like it's infused with sulphur making it smell strange, also affecting the taste and the aftertaste. Drank a couple more two days later. No improvement. Gave it one last chance on tap at my favorite pub, still rotten.

1.75/5  rDev -53.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Maybe this is rated so high because it's the most well-known "craft" beer, but it's just not my style. There's only been one beer that I've not been able to even finish half of and this isn't it, but I will definitely never drink it again.

1.92/5  rDev -48.7%

Pioneer of craft. Definately surpassed in that field! But thanks for getting the taste of crack and hooker spit out of my mouth at 9 am that one wednesday. You totally saved my job and marriage.

Part of variety pack. Sweet malty nose, with a dry corn taste. Golden brown pour. Not a big fan. 1 finger of head. Watery taste.

2.12/5  rDev -43.3%

It's a decent beer. Not bad. Something you would show to friends who are looking to get into beers.

2.18/5  rDev -41.7%

Appearance - Slightly dark yellow, not too carbonated, head lasted quite a bit.

Smell - Hops dominate the smell, average in my opinion. Was kind of a downer after smelling the Summer Ale earlier.

Taste - A slightly less bitter version of Blue Moon. I will have to agree with a previous poster that it tastes more like a Pale Ale than a larger.

Drinkability - Beer wore on me. Too bitter with no other defined tastes. Other types of Sam Adams are much better.

2.2/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

I wanted to like this beer 'cause of the fame it had... I've seen comercials, banners, good publicity and sure enough it got me into a curiosity mode where I had to try the beer, but when I got to the deal... It wasn't quite what I was expecting... Just a common lager for which I have a pretty standart rating.

2.23/5  rDev -40.4%

This is actually one of my least favorite Sam Adams brew. It pours a medium brown with a decent head but I just do not like the taste. It has a bitter aftertaste that just stays with you. I like Sam Adams, but this is one of my least favorites by them. I would drink their light before this.

2.24/5  rDev -40.1%

Poured about 42 degrees F from bottle into a wide, round wine glass. Nice big foamy head. Good amber color.

Smell is not very impressive. Some malt and sweetness but not much else.

I've had this beer before but never really studied it. I'm surprised how watery it tastes. There's a tiny bit of bitterness and mint and some sweetness but not much else. It's almost sour.

Mouthfeel is not very good. Good carbonation on the back of the tongue but mostly watery.

I could only drink a lot of these if they were cheaper. This beer is sour and watery despite its nice color and I can't say it's much better than any pale American macro lager. I was disappointed.

2.24/5  rDev -40.1%

Pours into a dark amber color with a nice puffy head. Has a pungent smell. Has a creamy taste with undertones of hops.

I was not overly impressed with the Boston Lager. Has a malty, barley taste, with a hint of hops. The drinkability is poor because of the fullness of the lager.

I would not recommend this lager, there are other Sam Adams brews that are much better.

Notes: Best before Jan 2015. (consumed 9/4/14). Poured into a nonic pint

A: [4.00] Extremely clear beer. No haze or cloudiness. The color is like light maple syrup. An amber/tan color. The head is 1 finger and is formed of dense bubbles. The is lacing when the beer is tilted. The bottle has a best by date and does not list the ABV or IBU.

S: [1.50] I get no nose. I shoved my nose right down in there and sucked it in. Nothing. Maybe as it warms. But the initial nose is none.

T: [2.25] Slight creamed corn flavor.

M: [2.75] Fairly high carbonation. There is a "zing" on the tongue. The mouthfeel is thin and watery.

O: [2.25] It seems hard to believe but I was disappointed - and I had pretty low expectations. I have had Sam Adams Boston Lager before - but never reviewed it critically. It has no appreciable nose. The taste is not something that I like and the body was unimpressive. Overall this is not a beer I would ever seek out. Even on a hot day I'd skip this in favor of water. I guess if this was the only "craft" beer at a place that server BMC then I'd go for it.

2.25/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Although I like most of the Sam Adams beers I have tried, I don't like this one. The appearance is fine, but the smell and the taste repel me. I detect a sulfur odor which affects the taste and the aftertaste. I thought maybe it was just the particular bottle I got, but the 2nd one (to be fair, from the same 6 pack) was the same.

I used to make apple jack from apple cider, and this particular beer reminds me of batches we made that came out bad.

My condolences to the folks in Boston.

2.29/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Way overrated. This is not a good beer / lager. Whether from the tap or bottle, it always has a hint of vinegar (smell and taste). Not worth the "premium" charge.

2.3/5  rDev -38.5%

A - Looked good

S - Smelled good

T - This beer has an aftertaste similar to when you chew on a fir tree limb. Was not impressed after all of their "we love our beer" advertising.

M - Not bad, not good.

D - I'll find something better to invest my beer money in.

2.33/5  rDev -37.7%

Did not enjoy this beer at all. It is what Alexander Keith's is to Americans. It's a mass produced knock off attempt at a craft brew.

2.38/5  rDev -36.4%

My apologies in advance to all of you who enjoy this beer. While I am clearly more of an ale fan, there are lagers that i do enjoy. This isn't one of them (although given a choice between this and a pilsner such as Bud, MGD, Coors, etc, I'd choose the Sam Adams Lager every time).

A: Reasonable color somewhere between amber and light brown. Translucent.

S: Nothing offensive, but nothing enticing me to want to taste it either. Lager yeasts, toasted malts.

T: Here begin the problems. How do you describe a lack of quality in ingredients? It was both thin on flavor and yet too heavy on negative flavor attributes simultaneously. Not atrocious, but nothing positive here at all.

Ml: Appropriate texture for the genre. Moderate carbonation.

D: Never again.

2.38/5  rDev -36.4%

Color: Golden honey color with lots of bubbles but hardly any head.

Smell: Mostly a bready malt.

Taste: Bitter up front with a yeasty aftertaste.

Mouth feel: Pretty average feel but way too much carbonation.

Overall: Nothing special here. The aftertaste lingers way too long. Not an enjoyable experience. Not as good as some of their other brews.

2.49/5  rDev -33.4%

The appearance is the best thing about this beer. Amber colored, with a decent head. No aroma to speak of, maybe a bit of malt, but not much. Taste is a metallic, slightly malty flavor, but just not much going on. This beer is maybe half a notch better than BudMillerCoors, but that's about all I can say that is positive.

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Middle of the road. It's whatever

Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)